Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

If the UK got a trade deal and retained control of their financials, standards and borders in exchange for fish well we know who played a blinder in negotiations.

the EU is retaining control on standards afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Farage seems happy enough.

Farage seems happy enough.

He's out of his bunker to make himself look relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd say the fella who caused the UK to leave the EU is quite relevant.

Bambi wrote: »
    the fella who caused the UK to leave the EU

David Cameron

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Who's laughing now

https://youtu.be/L5xlQVr-j08

David Cameron

Why did Cameron call a referendum? Farage.

Calling Farage irrelevant is a bit like this:

True

Will farage be there if the sh1t hits the fan after this deal

I think the better question is how can Ireland use this to our advantage rather than the britcentric obsession with berating Farage et al.

Weird sorta Shoneen approach that, although we may need to update the terminology to address that strange breed of Irish people who have shifted their need for approval onto their betters on the continent, Jacque-eens perhaps. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It isn't, really. Brexit needed a spineless PM loathed by most of the country and 17.4 million votes. UKIP were never going to win more than a few MP's.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Why do people vote for him then? Why does he have the support he has in parliament and among the public? I mean, if all that is true.

The British print press and news media has been largely captured by Tory sympathetic interests. You control the media then you get to influence how people think.

The Tory Party is still doing quite well in the polls despite Government corruption, cronyism, incompetence, and massive death toll from COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It isn't, really. Brexit needed a spineless PM loathed by most of the country and 17.4 million votes. UKIP were never going to win more than a few MP's.

they only ever managed to win one westminster election and that was with a former conservative MP who left UKIP not long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Well thank God we are meeting the end of this, fingers crossed. Did anyone actually care about fishing or was it just political grandstanding? What is the industry worth in the scheme of things? I haven't seen details on this level playing field and the potential schedule of penalties for breaking the dynamic equilibrium of standards/state aid etc, that must be extremely complex.

I personally don't understand the obsession with nationalism from any side. We should just focus on the money and increasing or sustaining our standard of living, the rest is some expensive fantasy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

they only ever managed to win one westminster election and that was with a former conservative MP who left UKIP not long after.

It was two by-elections as I recall and then Douglas Carswell in 2015.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Well thank God we are meeting the end of this, fingers crossed. Did anyone actually care about fishing or was it just political grandstanding? What is the industry worth in the scheme of things? I haven't seen details on this level playing field and the potential schedule of penalties for breaking the dynamic equilibrium of standards/state aid etc, that must be extremely complex.

I personally don't understand the obsession with nationalism from any side. We should just focus on the money and increasing or sustaining our standard of living, the rest is some expensive fantasy.

Nobody cared about fishing, not even the fishermen.

It was just a totem so people could give expression to their Europhobia and resentment without sounding like morons. Voting to take back control of national waters sounds nominally less idiotic than voting because of EU regulations you know nothing about.

The majority of British-caught fish go to the EU so if there's any holdups then freight will get more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It was two by-elections as I recall and then Douglas Carswell in 2015.

you're correct. my memory playing tricks with me. still not a stellar performance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Is it done yet?
    So whats the deal?

you're correct. my memory playing tricks with me. still not a stellar performance though.

It was in terms of votes won but that doesn't really translate properly into seats until the 25% mark.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Is it done yet?
    So whats the deal?

Curved bananas and steak pies allowed into the EU again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

It was just a totem so people could give expression to their Europhobia and resentment without sounding like morons. Voting to take back control of national waters sounds nominally less idiotic than voting because of EU regulations you know nothing about.

The majority of British-caught fish go to the EU so if there's any holdups then freight will get more expensive.

That's not true.Fishing,although relatively unimportant to Britain financially has some value to Johnson and co 'sabre rattling' but it's greatest value has been as a negotiating tool ,the EU was unable to hide just how important it is to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Curved bananas and steak pies allowed into the EU again

phew

Did Britain actually do a costing for Brexit prior to all this?

Farage seemed to be all about the sovereignty and refugees and then the public sleepwalked into it

RobMc59 wrote: »
    That's not true.Fishing,although relatively unimportant to Britain financially has some value to Johnson and co 'sabre rattling' but it's greatest value has been as a negotiating tool ,the EU was unable to hide just how important it is to them.

It's politically important for the reasons I outlined above. Otherwise, Harrod's contribute more to the British Exchequer.

Britain allowed sell curved bananas but has to import steak and kidney pies

Reduction in numbers of fish fingers allowed to be caught

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Really?

Not sure about that, otherwise what has all the fuss been about with the fishing communities in Scotland, Cornwal, Grimsby, Whitby etc....

Surely this deal was to keep their livelihoods alive? And that has been achieved by Boris and his team.

More emoting. Was never about seats, The numbers voting for UKIP scared the ****e out of the Tories, enough for the Camzer to promise a referendum. Like him our loathe him, Farage is the prime mover behind Brexit. You'd think after four years, the guff and hysterics would have moderated a bit.

More emoting. Was never about seats, The numbers voting for UKIP scared the ****e out of the Tories, enough for the Camzer to promise a referendum. Like him our loathe him, Farage is the prime mover behind Brexit. You'd think after four years, the guff and hysterics would have moderated a bit.
    Looking like you're the one obsessed with farage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

So in 5 years time they'll all be back looking for a deal on fishing. Seems like a can kicking exercise to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Is it done yet?
    So whats the deal?

From what I have read the UK have got an amazing deal. Free access to the single market, no quotas, no tariffs. Seems the UK were allowed to cherry pick after all, begs the question why should other countries stay in the EU if deals like this are possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Harpon wrote: »
    From what I have read the UK have got an amazing deal. Free access to the single market, no quotas, no tariffs. Seems the UK were allowed to cherry pick after all, begs the question why should other countries stay in the EU if deals like this are possible?

Regulations.

Advertisement