Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Harpon wrote: »
    From what I have read the UK have got an amazing deal. Free access to the single market, no quotas, no tariffs. Seems the UK were allowed to cherry pick after all, begs the question why should other countries stay in the EU if deals like this are possible?

Spin.

Both sides will be at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Harpon wrote: »
    From what I have read the UK have got an amazing deal. Free access to the single market, no quotas, no tariffs. Seems the UK were allowed to cherry pick after all, begs the question why should other countries stay in the EU if deals like this are possible?

Unfortunately it looks like they've done rather well out of it. I can see others following suit over the next few years if their economy does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Unfortunately it looks like they've done rather well out of it. I can see others following suit over the next few years if their economy does well.

You've read the treaty have you?

Fuck off with your spinning. I'm absolutely sick of this. If the deal said every man would have to go fishing for six months in the year you'd still be hailing it as a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They have done well. There seems to be a misguided assumption the only country who value their independence in Europe is the UK.

There are lessons for the EU here. If you want to stop the bleed then stop endlessly taking sovereignty from member countries and centralising it in Brussels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They have done well. There seems to be a misguided assumption the only country who value their independence in Europe is the UK.

There are lessons for the EU here. If you want to stop the bleed then stop endlessly taking sovereignty from member countries and centralising it in Brussels.

Where has the EU taken sovereignty? With evidence please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

This was posted on the other thread - useful high level overview of what the agreement covers.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1342129505540984837

Nate

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Roaming charges for mobile data in the UK then?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Deal is brilliant for Amazon shoppers and the like as well as exporters here.

What bleed? There's literally no serious talk of any other nation doing what the UK has done.

Also from what I've read so far it seems they've achieved quite little. Tariff free access for goods in from a market in which they are a net importer from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Seems the UK has won plenty of small skirmishes, but I he EU has won the big battles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This was posted on the other thread - useful high level overview of what the agreement covers.

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1342129505540984837

Nate

Puts it firmly in perspective and shut up the Brexiteers. Not hard to see who the massive losers are there.

It's interesting that they choose to stay out of Erasmus. My guys is that was entirely political that the UK didn't want to be further fostering a group of young people that would be very sympathetic to the EU.

I suspect Erasmus will be replaced with a UK USA exchange programme

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Aurelian

Deal is brilliant for Amazon shoppers and the like as well as exporters here.

I thought imports will be liable for customs declarations and VAT just not duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We'll have to see how it plays out in practice but it doesnt seem like a terrible deal

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Roaming charges for mobile data in the UK then?

Wonder would that apply in ireland. Be a nightmare around the border counties again if that is the case. Getting charged roaming and sitting in your own kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

If you want to stop the bleed then stop endlessly taking sovereignty from member countries and centralising it in Brussels.

The lesson is for the rest of us in the EU to cherish our membership and call out the liars, frauds, and useful idiots, who'd seek to cleave us from our European partners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

The lesson is for the rest of us in the EU to cherish our membership and call out the liars, frauds, and useful idiots, who'd seek to cleave us from our European partners.

Brexit is an embarrassment for the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

First of many hopefully.

Italy next maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Brexit deal resolves 'question that has bedevilled politics for decades'

According to the guardian headline ,I didn't look further but what question might that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Can someone remind me here, what is the downside for the UK from this deal?

They have full and free access to the EU market. Without paying the £10 billion annual fee they were paying before.

Shouldn't all the net contributors just leave the EU and take the same deal? The EU has potentially destroyed itself with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Can someone remind me here, what is the downside for the UK from this deal?

They have full and free access to the EU market. Without paying the £10 billion annual fee they were paying before.

Shouldn't all the net contributors just leave the EU and take the same deal? The EU has potentially destroyed itself with this.

Regulations.

Regulations.

They will either have the same regulations as they did while a member, or they can choose to change them and have tariffs imposed on that sector only. Again, where's the downside for the UK.

All while not paying the £10 billion annual fee they were paying before.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

First of many hopefully.

Italy next maybe.

Why?

The EU might have its problems but it sure benefited us over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Curved bananas and steak pies allowed into the EU again

As long as the supply of emulsified high-fat pork offal tubes isn't impeded it's all good. :D

They will either have the same regulations as they did while a member, or they can choose to change them and have tariffs imposed on that sector only. Again, where's the downside for the UK.

All while not paying the £10 billion annual fee they were paying before.

There will be a hard customs and regulatory border. That will come at an administrative cost. And that's just for starters. Inward investment into the UK will plummet as a result. Existing manufacturing will be jeopardised as a result. As for sovereignty, they now have no say in what regulations they adhere to - unless they choose not to export to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There will be a hard customs and regulatory border. That will come at an administrative cost. And that's just for starters. Inward investment into the UK will plummet as a result. Existing manufacturing will be jeopardised as a result. As for sovereignty, they now have no say in what regulations they adhere to - unless they choose not to export to the EU.

Seems they can now choose in what sectors they want to abide by EU regulations, something we can't do.

They always knew there was going to be a customs border. I think a lot of people who were crowing about how the EU was going to ream the Brits in negotiations may wind up feeling a bit let down.

There's no actual customs or tariffs to be paid though under this agreement. There will have to be checks, but I don't see the cost of checks as being that great.

Maybe they don't have sovereignty, but that is a choice on their part. If they are smart then they can simply follow along with similar regulations to the EU and have full access, without paying the £10 billion. Basically my point is this is a superior situation now than before for the UK, because they had to follow along with EU regulation while a member and pay the membership fee. Also, the EU is no longer sovereign after this either, as it will face tariffs into its biggest market if it decides to make regulatory changes.

There's no actual customs or tariffs to be paid though under this agreement. There will have to be checks, but I don't see the cost of checks as being that great.

Maybe they don't have sovereignty, but that is a choice on their part. If they are smart then they can simply follow along with similar regulations to the EU and have full access, without paying the £10 billion. Basically my point is this is a superior situation now than before for the UK, because they had to follow along with EU regulation while a member and pay the membership fee. Also, the EU is no longer sovereign after this either, as it will face tariffs into its biggest market if it decides to make regulatory changes.

A question. If you intended to expand your business into Europe in January, would you do that in the UK or in the EU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Why?

The EU might have its problems but it sure benefited us over the years.

We are a net contributor now and thanks to our leprechaun economics with multinationals offshoring profits here our contribution is based on the skewed gni figure rather than the true figure.

Our contributions are expected to rise year on year and with the uk shaped hole in the eu budget even more so

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2020/1109/1177074-ireland-eu-budget-contribution/

However, it has emerged that when calculating Ireland's net contribution to the EU budget, the EU bases its calculations not on Modified GNI, but the standard GNI approach as applied to all member states by the EU's statistics agency Eurostat.

Figures compiled by the CSO show that in 2016, Ireland's Modified GNI was €174.7 billion, but the standard GNI was the higher figure of €220.7 billion.

That's a lot of extra cheddar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It's not about tariffs or quotas. Being outside the Single Market means border administration and delays for everything entering or leaving the EU. Hundreds if not thousands of UK companies have built their business with customers and suppliers in the EU (exports and imports) on the fast movement of materials, components and finished goods.

All those time-critical supply chains are under threat because many trade relationships are built around Just in Time delivery and that can no longer be guaranteed.

Taking back control of fisheries might be raising cheers from the Brexit faithful. Taking back control of the M20 might be more important.

Advertisement