Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I think he's making a terrible mistake. It will be passed no matter what they vote. The large majority of Labour supporters are anti Brexit as are his parliamentary party. He is now telling them they must accept and vote for an extremely hard Brexit. Morally and strategically wrong. Labour has become a fragmented waste of time.

Fully agree. Corbyn was dreadful, but Starmer is no better. Labour have completely failed the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

RobMc59 wrote:
    As I remember(as a lad)when Britain joined the common market it was joining a trading community.Now Brussels wants to control every aspect of member states affairs and it is also trying to throw its weight around as a world policeman.
    Every aspect? You must have a long list of how Brussels has controlled affairs against the wishes of the governments or electorates of member states. Can you give us examples of the ones intruding into your daily life and causing you most outrage?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

First Up wrote: »
    Every aspect? You must have a long list of how Brussels has controlled affairs against the wishes of the governments or electorates of member states. Can you give us examples of the ones intruding into your daily life and causing you most outrage?

Bendy bananas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

RobMc59 wrote: »
    That's true,there are many posters who take exception to anything remotely critical of the EU saying its either propaganda lies from a British 'rag' or you are instantly labelled as a scurrilous brexiteer bot in disguise..

I can remember a few years ago on this very site an Irexit event that was coming up with free tickets that you could book online and posters (some on this thread) booking as many of them as they could with no intention of turning up to sabotage it.... Until I emailed the organisers and told them about it(teeheehee), I can only imagine some of the poe faces reading this....

I can remember a few years ago on this very site an Irexit event that was coming up with free tickets that you could book online and posters (some on this thread) booking as many of them as they could with no intention of turning up to sabotage it.... Until I emailed the organisers and told them about it(teeheehee), I can only imagine some of the poe faces reading this....

The Irexit party must be very thankful for your help now that they have become so popular. Perhaps they will build a statue of you after Irexit in a year or two!

Should they use your new username or your previous one as an inscription?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

fash wrote: »
    Everyone else was just as free to roll out the vaccine as early or even earlier then the UK.
    They did not do so - I'm betting you can't guess why.

Of note, the UK also waived liability for any harm caused by the vaccine - no one else has - any ideas why?

Also of note, the UK has been rather incompetent in its roll out -failing to have the necessary tracking procedures in place to ensure effective roll out. Of course, starting vaccination is not the trick - completing vaccination is the primary issue and the UK's incompetence so far is a bigger predictor of where things are going in comparing the UK with other countries than anything else. We will shortly see.

Can you point us to where there is a liability waiver statement for any EU27 countries please?

Last article I read in Irish Times, the commission was being lobbied for exactly that and the commission was passing this lobby to the EU countries, very much looked like there would be liability waivers.

Bambi wrote: »
    Brits estimate is 2 million vaccinated by the end of the January, our vaccines are sitting in a fridge.

Are they counting the "herd immunity" guinea pigs who inoculated themselves with the actual full version of the virus over the past 9 months?

The Irexit party must be very thankful for your help now that they have become so popular. Perhaps they will build a statue of you after Irexit in a year or two!

Should they use your new username or your previous one as an inscription?

Your reply is very telling...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Geuze wrote: »
    This statement is false.

Member-states delegate certain powers to the Commission.

We choose that certain decisions can be made at EU-level.

the last two times the electorate in 26 counties were asked to vote on "delegating" to Brussels they initially rejected it. So of course they had another one in both cases:rolleyes:

After all the nonsense here by the EU batty boys, Brits still managed to get a trade deal while leaving, and the EU choked over the fisheries that you all said was irrelevant.

Meanwhile, Paddy gets rogered again twice. Without the lube. At leas the Brits and EU commission have negotiators with something between their fkn ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

Bonniedog wrote: »
    the last two times the electorate in 26 counties were asked to vote on "delegating" to Brussels they initially rejected it. So of course they had another one in both cases:rolleyes:
    I seem to remember Ireland voting against Lisbon because it might bring in abortion and a Euro army. Following some spectacular negotiating to ensure that was not the case, it was put to the people again - are you saying that the people are dangerously stupid morons who shouldn't be allowed to decide things?
    After all the nonsense here by the EU batty boys, Brits still managed to get a trade deal while leaving, and the EU choked over the fisheries that you all said was irrelevant.
    When you roll over and give the other party (the EU) everything it wants, it's easy to get a deal.
    Fisheries were irrelevant - the deal was done and the UK caved.

Meanwhile, Paddy gets rogered again twice. Without the lube. At leas the Brits and EU commission have negotiators with something between their fkn ears.
    Really? Ireland does rather well - a reunited Ireland, we get to capture a major chunk of UK's business, we get zero tariff/quota access to the UK market - and we end up with the most valuable passports in Europe - what's not to like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

A reunited Ireland.

I missed that. You'd think they might have mentioned it on the news :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You believe democracy is a one off? You lose the vote you ship up and never vote again even if things change?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You believe democracy is a one off? You lose the vote you ship up and never vote again even if things change?

Only seems to work one way though.. When you don't give the EU approved answer..
    In the EU a no vote is only ever temporary whilst a yes vote is forever...

Could be worse like the French and Dutch referendums on an EU constitution only to have their votes ignored...

Could be worse like the French and Dutch referendums on an EU constitution only to have their votes ignored...

A bit like the Scottish and NI votes in the Brexit referendum then? No?

I'd be more than happy to see them have their own independence votes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Me too, we might have them soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Scotland had their vote.
    I would love to see the results of an independance vote for Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland would collapse instantly as a state independant of Britain, Ireland or the EU.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Both are countries of the UK and as a whole they voted to leave.

So, some sort of deal has being agreed and I hope it works out for everyone after all, a prosperous United Kingdom is in our best interest.

Scoondal wrote: »
    Scotland had their vote.
    I would love to an independance vote for Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland would collapse instantly as a state independant of Britain, Ireland or the EU.

Their referendum was biased when the UK announced they would prevent the Scots rejoining the EU.

Things have changed in the last 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Scoondal wrote: »
    Scotland had their vote.
    I would love to see the results of an independance vote for Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland would collapse instantly as a state independant of Britain, Ireland or the EU.

What if they want another?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

under no circumstances fall into any trap of thinking the NI population would vote to leave uk.
    influence vote by increasing southern irish population in north will fail in this day and age as
    referendum\vote would be strict by any standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It was ignored, Did the EU decide "So the muggles dont want any part of this, lets drop the idea?" Did they f**k, it was repackaged as the the Lisbon Treaty where it could be signed off by the Council of Ministers and the only citizens it was put to were us lot, because they had no choice, we rejected it only to be told we may well bloody well vote again.

Thats your best example of democratic control at work in the EU, says a lot :o

What if they want another?
    Where does "She" live - the scots are not stupid despite "bribe" for stay vote allegations.
    like NI do you really think the staff etc. of NI hospitals want to be funded and paid by dublin which cant fund
    whats here already in south. Just one of many items the united ireland crowd along with scots independence
    casually forget and fail to mention.

jelem wrote: »
    Where does "She" live - the scots are not stupid despite "bribe" for stay vote allegations.
    like NI do you really think the staff etc. of NI hospitals want to be funded and paid by dublin which cant fund
    whats here already in south. Just one of many items the united ireland crowd along with scots independence
    casually forget and fail to mention.

Would be a bit funny though if Scotland left and took the biggest part of the these magical UK fishing waters with them wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Only seems to work one way though.. When you don't give the EU approved answer..
    In the EU a no vote is only ever temporary whilst a yes vote is forever...

Did you miss Brexit? Or Norway voting not to join?

We, Ireland, were free to vote No to Lisbon a second time. We, Ireland, chose not too once the concerns raised were felt to have been dealt with.

Don't blame the EU if you feel the Irish are not competent enough to handle democracy.

Would be a bit funny though if Scotland left and took the biggest part of the these magical UK fishing waters with them wouldn't it?

It might just happen. 5 years till those fishing rights are up for review. Scotland could leave the UK well before then. They were v close the last time, only threats about EU membership kept them in the union.

Things might change with a second referendum

not happen despite once the media message scotlands oil will help them but oil price down
    add green movement despite their hydroelectric====
    and all the london government facilities and services removed then mass jobless.
    navel bases in scotland support a large percentage of areas with jobs and income
    thats just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Their referendum was biased when the UK announced they would prevent the Scots rejoining the EU.

Things have changed in the last 4 years.

The Scotland independance vote was "a once in a generation" vote. The UK government was already throwing shapes in the EU about giving them x,y and z or they would leave. Scots voters were well aware of the possibility of UK leaving EU. They voted to stay within UK regardless of the threats of the UK government to leave EU.
    They had their vote and Scotland's true allegiance was exposed.

• Advertisement

the french in all "pushes" issues they bring forward are doing best to ensure an EU Military
    with france at head. of course germany as large power, some flavour german governments will go along.
    oh dear has ireland actually signed up for that through other less conspicious agreements?..

Advertisement