Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I have said nothing on who knows best that is you.

Regards Ireland or any country being bullied before.......Just vote no to a treaty.....oh yes Ireland did......and was made to vote again and get it right.

There was actually Ireland specific protocols put in to the treaties.

But let's not do fact.

Let's do Brexiter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

joeguevara wrote: »
    The rhetoric of the German car industry is trotted out by every Brexiteer without any backup. The fact that Belgium, Netherlands, Ireland, Slovakia, Czech Republic and Hungary have a higher export As % Of GDP With France about 7 countries further down rubbishes the idea that France and Germany need U.K. much more than UK needs the E.U.

At no stage has the E.U. tried to bully any of its members because of the U.K. To think they will do so now is without basis.,doesn’t stop arrogant Brexiteers whistling Rule Britannia and thinking they are a negotiating powerhouse.

It has nothing to do with being a Brexiteer or Remainer or anything. It has to do with whats going to happen which is what I have always said.

Those business men as you put it in the German car industry pull the strings of powerful people in Gov. They care less about anything else but money and their business. What Ireland or Slovakia wants doesnt even register with them and they will get their way.

Just watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It has nothing to do with being a Brexiteer or Remainer or anything. It has to do with whats going to happen which is what I have always said.

Those business men as you put it in the German car industry pull the strings of powerful people in Gov. They care less about anything else but money and their business. What Ireland or Slovakia wants doesnt even register with them and they will get their way.

Just watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I have said nothing on who knows best that is you.

Regards Ireland or any country being bullied before.......Just vote no to a treaty.....oh yes Ireland did......and was made to vote again and get it right.

You have said it by stating we will be disregarded.

As for made vote again. Such ill informed diatribe.

A major part of the problem was that the treaty itself was complex. It was a legal document and those who created it obviously didn’t put much thought into how a treaty full of legal jargon could be sold to an electorate. As a result, a number of ill-informed fears about certain topics started to spread, some of which hadn’t even been mentioned in the treaty.

A number of people felt that the Lisbon Treaty could force us to increase our corporation tax. Others narrowed in on subjects such as abortion, conscription to some sort of super EU army and the lowering of the minimum wage.

It was one big confusing mess and the NO campaign took full advantage of it.

After the treaty was defeated in 2007, Ireland sought a number of guarantees from the EU. The text was changed. We got a better deal. The second referendum was voting on a treaty that had legally binding assurances in place. It was essentially a completely new vote. So, if you think we were bullied into voting until we got it right, it shows your level of knowledge on this subject.

Ah well if it means something to you. Even now on day one you are still talking in a past tense of Brexiteers and remainers.

Brexit is gone....Its in the past. This is what happens now and its all about Big business and Big money taking control. Anything else is irrelevent.....as its always been.

• Advertisement

So, if you think we were bullied into voting until we got it right, it shows your level of knowledge on this subject.

I dont need to know sod all. When you have a vote you have a vote. Democracy is settled on that day.

You dont have a vote and it rains and cold so not many turn up and the vote goes against you and not the way you like........so then you have another vote on a sunny day to get the vote you wanted.

Keep voting and voting until you get the result you want.

Banana republic mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I took the time to check Wikipedia last night and this morning. Glad to see the member states tick down like that. Hopefully the British will be successful and more will follow. I have faith in them. Gotta say, what an epic win for Farage and Johnson, I have seen them described here as idiots but we all know they are immensely clever...

qNsdTbw.jpg

Why does the EU need a flag an an anthem by the way? WTF is that all about? They should back to being a trading block if they want to stop the hemorrhaging. They wont, it is all about power. What we will see next is laws to stop another exit, mark my words. Then their precious army made up of mercenaries. I have such joy today watching the EU bleed. What an absolutely DISGUSTING organization.

I dont need to know sod all. When you have a vote you have a vote. Democracy is settled on that day.

You dont have a vote and it rains and cold so not many turn up and the vote goes against you and not the way you like........so then you have another vote on a sunny day to get the vote you wanted.

Keep voting and voting until you get the result you want.

Banana republic mentality.

I think it sums it up when you admit you don’t need to know sod all. Was that the Leave motto?

So democracy decides on the day and that’s that. Can never be changed.

You don’t even accept that we got a better deal and voted on a different referendum which benefitted us.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Well now the UK can think what they like and we don't have to humour them anymore.

Let the Brexiters moan and groan. You'd think if it was such a great victory they'd be more positive rather than trying to make the UK look better by denigrating other countries. But such seems to be the nature of the Brexiter.

You'd also think they'd be able to point at some of the positives rather than just their opinions.

Frequently over the last few years when people pointed out a negative affect we were told that Brexit hadnt happened yet.
    I think last night was the end of the beginning. Many Brexiters think Brexit is done. Well if it's done I'm looking forward to seeing positive fact based news articles.

So can we go back to making the best that we can do out of Brexit for Ireland without Brexiters whinging? It's negative for Ireland but there are also opportunities.

I have such joy today watching the EU bleed. What an absolutely DISGUSTING organization.

Happy Brexit Day. Enjoy.

KyvXG24.jpg

• Advertisement

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Let the Brexiters moan and groan.

Its not the Brexiters moaning, they won...
    trying to make the UK look better by denigrating other countries. But such seems to be the nature of the Brexiter.

Can you quote ONE post in this thread of the other MASSIVE one where a Brexiteer denigrated a country? Just a heads up, the EU is not a country

Can you quote ONE post in this thread of the other MASSIVE one where a Brexiteer denigrated a country? Just a heads up, the EU is not a country

Well if we take the definition of denigrate as belittle or diminish, calling Ireland irrelevant about 10 posts back is one. Post 471

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

But the point is now fellas. You have all had your say and digs at the British galore.

But today Ireland is now irrelevant. From today anything that Ireland could have bought to the party has all gone because what happens now will be played out by the big boys to suit the big boys.

Any deals if they are done will be done to suit the UK, Germany, and France. All the other countries will be told to shut the f*ck up and don't interfere.

So I hope you enjoyed it because what you have to come will not be great.

And we're back to rehashing the exact same delusions that were trotted out pre A50. Just get on a plane to Berlin. All sorted before tea and crumpets.

Yet here we are again. It'll be all decided by Germany and France.

Go shake your head out will you. It's full of cobwebs and dead matter.

I think it sums it up when you admit you don’t need to know sod all. Was that the Leave motto?

So democracy decides on the day and that’s that. Can never be changed.

You don’t even accept that we got a better deal and voted on a different referendum which benefitted us.

It's irrelevent.

Democracy......You are given the chance to vote on a subject.......That is the freedom that your forefathers died fighting for.........the democratic way to decide your future.

What kind of democracy or freedom is it when you are made/forced/advised/or even asked to go back and vote again to give the result that somebody wanted?

If another political party other than the Gov wasnt happy with the last result. Do you have endless debates and info shoved through your door and canvassed in the street so you are then informed enough to go back and vote their way?

It's pure bollox. No matter how you dress it up you cant keep re-running an election until somebody higher than you is happy.

If thats the case you could save millions and just let them do what they want without voting.

Well if we take the definition of denigrate as belittle or diminish, calling Ireland irrelevant about 10 posts back is one. Post 471

Ireland and all the others are irrelevant now. Only the powerhouse economies will have their say.

Just sit and watch.

About 2 hours ago on this thread Bored was saying Ireland is irrelevant. They're are frequent posts like that. It's fine but normally if somebody was happy with winning they'd be more positive.
    And it is moaning.

It's good that you realise that the EU isn't a country. Anything else you've just figured out?

Edit: and he posted it again as I was typing this to give you an example :)

Comon, better example please, you clutching at straws there.

It's irrelevent.

Democracy......You are given the chance to vote on a subject.......That is the freedom that your forefathers died fighting for.........the democratic way to decide your future.

What kind of democracy or freedom is it when you are made/forced/advised/or even asked to go back and vote again to give the result that somebody wanted?

If another political party other than the Gov wasnt happy with the last result. Do you have endless debates and info shoved through your door and canvassed in the street so you are then informed enough to go back and vote their way?

It's pure bollox. No matter how you dress it up you cant keep re-running an election until somebody higher than you is happy.

If thats the case you could save millions and just let them do what they want without voting.

You don’t understand that it wasn’t the same thing that was voted on. If you can’t then you either refuse to understand what happened or you rely on rhetoric to make your decisions for you.

brexit-memes2.jpg

Yeah, I too think it would be better if complicated matters like Lisbon were handled by the government, like how it was with the UK.

• Advertisement

Is calling Ireland irrelevant not denigration. Is stating that we will be bullied even if it is not in our best interests not denigration, sure give me your definition if you have a different one.

Ok so it's common. That's what I was saying. And your point is?
    Why give better examples? You asked for ONE example.

Ok so it's common. That's what I was saying. And your point is?

I think he meant come on rather than common. But the U.K. are now rewriting the dictionary as definitions of words seem to be changing.

You don’t understand that it wasn’t the same thing that was voted on. If you can’t then you either refuse to understand what happened or you rely on rhetoric to make your decisions for you.

The vote was whether to pass/agree to/or what ever word there is to get a treaty into law so it could be administered.

The reasons on why people vote are irrelevent except to those individual people.

The vote had to be in favour or yes to further the Treaty.

When you have an election as we will soon. It is to decide who governs us. The reasons why we vote are irrelevent after that day. Only the result matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Unfollow

The vote was whether to pass/agree to/or what ever word there is to get a treaty into law so it could be administered.

The reasons on why people vote are irrelevent except to those individual people.

The vote had to be in favour or yes to further the Treaty.

When you have an election as we will soon. It is to decide who governs us. The reasons why we vote are irrelevent after that day. Only the result matters.

No it’s not. We voted on a completely different deal the second time. It wasn’t a vote against the Lisbon treaty. It was a vote against certain parts of it. Once those were rectified and benefitted Ireland, we voted again.

Is calling Ireland irrelevant not denigration. Is stating that we will be bullied even if it is not in our best interests not denigration, sure give me your definition if you have a different one.

Fair point. But its probably wrong to say Brexiteers go around slagging other countries in general. We have a problem with the EU, nobody else, and the EU is not a country.

No it’s not. We voted on a completely different deal the second time. It wasn’t a vote against the Lisbon treaty. It was a vote against certain parts of it. Once those were rectified and benefitted Ireland, we voted again.

But it had to be a yes vote to the Treaty before it could be passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Farage needs to now start working on helping trump win re election. If he wins then the us eu trade war will begin and will further weaken the EU most likely benefiting British business. It's incredible to think of what Farage has left to play after all he has achieved.

• Advertisement

But it had to be a yes vote to the Treaty before it could be passed?

Yes. And if we didn’t get a better deal we would have voted no.

Similarly if any U.K. deal doesn’t suit us, it won’t be agreed to or ratified.

Advertisement