Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    That's hardily the sodding point. This was a mistake by the EU.

If the Brits want to break the agreement now what are we going to say?

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1355228001798156297

This was a stupid, stupid act by the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

“Europe is France and Germany, the rest are just the trimmings”. - De Gaulle

always nice to see a contemporary opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

They've been acting more and more irrational and dictatorial lately....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

No. It's taking back control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

always nice to see a contemporary opinion.

Years later and not much has changed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The EU wouldn't have pulled that on Varadkar or Mary Lou. They wouldnt have pulled it on Enda or Bertie either. It's the problem with having a weak as piss leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Wait, I thought the whole problem was that the EU had changed too much since the UK joined? Now you tell me it has not changed at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Given that it is specific and limited, I'm certain the Brits will fully understand - they are very understanding of such breaches

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Totally pro-EU, anti-brexit, etc person here but this is an absolute cluster-**** by the EU. On the face of it they appear to have made an absolute balls of things and now made things even worse by uniting the Uk govt, Irish govt, Sinn Fein, DUP, Other Unionists and SDLP against their stupidity.

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They've been acting more and more irrational and dictatorial lately....

How is it irrational? If the UK is taking the piss and not acting in good faith then the EU is well entitled to put some manners on them.

The UK apparently has a load of vaccines...........if I was a Nordie I'd probably be fairly pissed off. Number 1 because I shouldn't be needing vaccines from the EU given that the UK supposedly has loads but must not be sharing them. And Number 2 just because I'd be a Nordie and thus genetically programmed to be being perpetually pissed off anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Ludo wrote: »
    Totally pro-EU, anti-brexit, etc person here but this is an absolute cluster-**** by the EU. On the face of it they appear to have made an absolute balls of things and now made things even worse by uniting the Uk govt, Irish govt, Sinn Fein, DUP, Other Unionists and SDLP against their stupidity.

Madness.

Yeah I don't like the Commission (mild skeptic etc), and something like this is something that can be used as a proper propaganda tool against giving them any more power/reform, but genuinely worried and not at all happy about this move as it seems on the face of it too be crazy and risking a lot in the north, especially the manner in which it seems to have been triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/simoncoveney/status/1355236791339659266

I feel sorry for Coveney. He must be hitting the roof.

Yeah I don't like the Commission (mild skeptic etc), and something like this is something that can be used as a proper propaganda tool against giving them any more power/reform, but genuinely worried and not at all happy about this move as it seems on the face of it too be crazy and risking a lot in the north, especially the manner in which it seems to have been triggered.

It's the EU stamping its authority. Watch how Britain responds. As for Ireland, well have a think how we would be doing outside the EU as a small insignificant nation trying to compete with the EU/US/Britain for vaccines. This is a no brainer. We can jump up and down and squeak about Article 16 but this is a bloc, that we are extremely lucky to be a part of, throwing its weight around to get vaccines for them and us. Full weight behind the EU. We don't have an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sources saying it hasn't been triggered.

https://twitter.com/ShonaMurray_/status/1355242573284175880

EU ramping up the pressure:

"The UK has been left off a list of more than 120 countries exempted from tighter export restrictions on vaccines produced in the EU, in the latest twist in the bloc’s row with AstraZeneca over a shortage of doses."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

It's the EU stamping its authority. Watch how Britain responds. As for Ireland, well have a think how we would be doing outside the EU as a small insignificant nation trying to compete with the EU/US/Britain for vaccines. This is a no brainer. We can jump up and down and squeak about Article 16 but this is a bloc, that we are extremely lucky to be a part of, throwing its weight around to get vaccines for them and us. Full weight behind the EU. We don't have an alternative.

I don't think anyone (sensible) is suggesting that we should leave the EU over this. The EU is well entitled to stamp its authority, the problem is how it chose to do so. The NI protocal is not the place to stamp anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That's hardily the sodding point. This was a mistake by the EU.

Yeah, it is a shock.

Wonder if it will be reversed? (if it happens quite quickly before any actual procedures have to be put in place, that minimises the damage to the NI protocol)

These seem like drastic, panicked moves given all the effort + political capital already expended by the EU on NI border issue during Brexit pre the pandemic.

Do we know the half of what is actually going on as regards the vaccine orders/production/distribution etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

This hilarious fiasco on the part of the EU threatening to seize the intellectual property rights of pharmaceutical companies and take over the means of production and control (how very Marxist) is for nought.

It now transpires that they have a serious shortage of syringes and needles with which to administer the vaccines.

Well they didn't see that one coming, and where are they going to source them, invade some African country and steal their supplies earmarked for the vaccination of children for smallpox and polio.

This is what happens when you overpromote town councillors to EU commissars.

Thankfully we here in N.I. being part of the United Kingdom have completed the second vaccination stage weeks ago of our elderly and vulnerable, the 65-70 group is now well in progress.
    Being shot of this collection of gangsters in the EU we really dodged a bullet there, makes you think how many lives have therefore been saved.
    Feel sorry for the folk down south who have to stand by and wait for offerings from the eu when they decide to get round to it..

I don't think anyone (sensible) is suggesting that we should leave the EU over this. The EU is well entitled to stamp its authority, the problem is how it chose to do so. The NI protocal is not the place to stamp anything.

They are showing the UK who has the power in this debacle. Notice how the UK is staying quiet over this? Let's see what happens (if it has been triggered) and how the UK responds. This is just the beginning for the UK and for Brexit. The EU is currently using all means necessary to ensure that its citizens get the vaccines they've been promised. And we are EU citizens.

loughside wrote: »
    This hilarious fiasco on the part of the EU threatening to seize the intellectual property rights of pharmaceutical companies and take over the means of production and control (how very Marxist) is for nought.

It now transpires that they have a serious shortage of syringes and needles with which to administer the vaccines.

Well they didn't see that one coming, and where are they going to source them, invade some African country and steal their supplies earmarked for the vaccination of children for smallpox and polio.

Thankfully we here in N.I. being part of the United Kingdom have completed the second vaccination stage weeks ago of our elderly and vulnerable, the 65-70 group is now well in progress.
    Being shot of this collection of gangsters in the EU we really dodged a bullet there, makes you think how many lives have therefore been saved.
    Feel sorry for the folk down south who have to stand by and wait for offerings from the eu when they decide to get round to it..

I wonder how the 100,000 would view it if they were still alive.

• Advertisement

Genuinely feel sorry for the UK with a mortality rate 2.5 times that of Ireland. The criminal Tory party's rushing through of the vaccine is very much a case of slamming the stable door as hard as you can after the horse has bolted and died. Look over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Genuinely feel sorry for the UK with a mortality rate 2.5 times that of Ireland. The criminal Tory party's rushing through of the vaccine is very much a case of slamming the stable door as hard as you can after the horse has bolted and died. Look over there.

NI death rate is *only* 1.5x the Republic though. Still 1.5x. It's not a competition, but if someone wants to compare, no harm to tell them the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

They are showing the UK who has the power in this debacle. Notice how the UK is staying quiet over this? Let's see what happens (if it has been triggered) and how the UK responds. This is just the beginning for the UK and for Brexit. The EU is currently using all means necessary to ensure that its citizens get the vaccines they've been promised. And we are EU citizens.

Does the UK need to say anything? This seems to be a personal crusade by van der layden as she appears to have taken umbridge over the perception she and brussels have handled the vaccine situation poorly.Disrespecting Ireland by not discussing this with the Taoisearch first is a horrendous own goal.

NI death rate is *only* 1.5x the Republic though. Still 1.5x. It's not a competition, but if someone wants to compare, no harm to tell them the facts

Yes but the poster spoke of the benefit of being in the UK versus Ireland. If they want to gloat and snigger over people's lives, then a bit of reality might give pause for thought.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Nobody has done more invading and pillaging of resources from other countries than the UK.

Probably not surprising that something like the above would spring to mind for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If the EU has done this.....its a brit move....disgusting and shocking...

A Tory government, dominic cummings kind of move....

Not good

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Does the UK need to say anything? This seems to be a personal crusade by van der layden as she appears to have taken umbridge over the perception she and brussels have handled the vaccine situation poorly.Disrespecting Ireland by not discussing this with the Taoisearch first is a horrendous own goal.

Let's see how it plays out. If I were the UK I would say nothing until it washes through. If it goes ahead in tandem with the vaccine export blocks being imposed on the UK as we speak, I think we will hear from the UK very quickly.

Most reliable sources saying that details gone off EU site. Rethink underway

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

not much has changed in nearly 60 years? that is an interesting perspective certainly.

• Advertisement

A flexing of muscle more than anything looks like. Might be a smart move at the end of the day.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1355258958840274944

Advertisement