Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

If you want to discuss the Lisbon Treaty, start a thread on it. Don't drag this one off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

bilston wrote: »
    "Flexing of muscle"...interesting interpretation...

At least it united both sides of the divide in Ireland.

Yes and neutralised the DUP looking to invoke Art 16 themselves. Foot in it by Arlene reacting too quickly. Can't help thinking there was a 'play' here.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

The EU have withdrawn Article 16 as the entire globe unites in laughing at their humiliating public meltdown.

What a disasterous, vindictive, vile, spiteful, nasty, dictatorial `trading bloc` they are.

Fully shown their true colours and now the world knows why we voted OUT!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

loughside wrote: »
    The EU have withdrawn Article 16 as the entire globe unites in laughing at their humiliating public meltdown.

What a disasterous, vindictive, vile, spiteful, nasty, dictatorial `trading bloc` they are.

Your post beautifully illustrates why 27 countries are relieved to see the back of you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's this sort of Express-grade delusional nonsense that probably has the Europeans seeing the sunny side of Brexit.

Modern Britain is beginning to look like a disintegrating end-stage Empire which would rather snort the cultural equivalent of coke that accept reality. It's a middling power in a world where the principal powers are Brussels, Bejing and Washington. London stopped mattering when the intelligentsia in the shires voted leave to keep Indians out.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Is von der leyen ultimately responsible for this mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

Modern Britain is beginning to look like a disintegrating end-stage Empire which would rather snort the cultural equivalent of coke..BLAH,,,BLAH ..BLAH.

Would that be the Britian you ran to when your statelet was going down the pan ....yes i seem to remember a £3.2 BILLION bail-out loan by the British taxpayer, (inc.the northern folk), wasn`t much lip then was there??

Sorry, but you walked into that one ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Would that be the Britian you ran to when your statelet was going down the pan ....yes i seem to remember a £3.2 BILLION bail-out loan by the British taxpayer, (inc.the northern folk), wasn`t much lip then was there??

The bold text doesn't make that any more true. Even if it were, it's interesting to see the tables have turned and the culture warriors so desperate as to celebrate people not being able to get a vaccine amidst a pandemic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Northern folk didn't loan anything they are a perpetual drain on the British coffers.

The loan to save their own bacon you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Interesting. Can you tell us more about the mighty Northern Ireland taxpayer?

The EU created an absolute shambles today drawing condemnation from within and abroad. At least they won't "overlook" it again. Extraordinary.

The EU created an absolute shambles today drawing condemnation from within and abroad. At least they won't "overlook" it again. Extraordinary.

May or may not have been a play. Muscle flexing and showing what power they do have. Needed Micheal to play the fool though, which he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its terrible that we are not allowed to deal with a country an hour away which will probably have surplus vaccines by the end of the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's like the town's raging alcoholic gloating because the barman dropped a glass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

loughside do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

It's like the town's raging alcoholic gloating because the barman dropped a glass.

Don't try to downplay this, the fact it got this far is a big deal and shows quiet clearly how little Irish input there is at this level.
    Or if there is Irish input at this level how the hell did it go ahead, they must be holding the interests of Commission figures well ahead of the interests of Ireland.

Here is the released (and subsequently withdrawn document). Relevant point is page 3 entry 16 (ironically).

https://i.redd.it/8gv0wara0de61.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

You voted OUT, but then refused to leave ...

Just shows what a paper dragon Britain really is, they puff out their chest and then cry victim when the fight starts

NI is incompetently run, UK haven’t got a clue, EU and Ireland to their rescue, again, a bit of gratitude wouldn’t go amiss Loughside

Shame you lot won’t have the EU or US to fight your corner for you in the big bad world

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Don't try to downplay this, the fact it got this far is a big deal and shows quiet clearly how little Irish input there is at this level.
    Or if there is Irish input at this level how the hell did it go ahead, they must be holding the interests of Commission figures well ahead of the interests of Ireland.

Here is the released (and subsequently withdrawn document). Relevant point is page 3 entry 16 (ironically).

https://i.redd.it/8gv0wara0de61.png

I see this is an clear overstep and overplay by a tired and underpressure EU. Clearly this was a big mistake, and there are serious questions to be answered as to how it happened and how is was allowed to progress to the point it did.

But enough of EU are a shambles nonsense. A mistake was made, and importantly a mistake was corrected. Lessons will, hopefully, be learned.

But it is a bit rich all the gloating from the UK, especially the UK journalists. These were the very people who constantly reminded during Brexit that anything the UK did should be seen in a certain context. That even when they not only floated the idea of breaking international law, but actually voting for it and the entire cabinet was 100% for it, it was just a powerplay and until it actually happened nobody should get too worked up about it.

Everyone needs to calm down. It was a mess up, no doubting that, but one that was rectified. The UK can't use it for anything as it never was followed through.

It does show how much pressure the EU is under, and how they are panicking. An earlier posted correctly said, they all need to take a breather, have a drink and refocus. Flapping around trying to undo the lack of vaccine won't help. AZ have pulled a fast one, its annoying but seems the contract gives them that wiggle room. No point being upset, it is what it is. Get whatever you can and learn the lesson.

UK are using their relatives success on the vaccine as a stick to beat the EU with, which is odd as they constantly tell us that international comparisons are meaningless.

EU should ignore the thumbthumping and gloating and focus on ramping up their own capabilities.

What it shows, to me, is that more integration is needed. We need an EU wide CDC type organisation. We need dedicated facilities, with capacity to handle the EU.

This episode shows very starkly the change in relationship. UK is very much a 3rd country. Not just in name, but in spirit. They have no alliance or responsibility for the EU are will not be part of anything the EU wants unless it totally benefits them (nothing wrong with that btw). The EU need to accept that and look to itself.

They didn't even lift the phone to the sovereign government here in Dublin directly effected by their action.

That will tell people all they need to know.

A mistake? Absurd. They look ridiculous today because they acted ridiculous yesterday.

There is no excuse for such a sensitive balls up.

The end result is our country has been left more vulnerable to the whims of a British government in relation to the protocol today than it was yesterday because the moral high ground has been conceded through stupidity (and according to themselves their own ignorance!).

Unbelievable incompetence.

The important thing now is to reign in irresponsible unionist leaders who want to end these arrangements- and who can blame them, they have been presented with the template they needed.

Ugh

• Advertisement

They didn't even lift the phone to the sovereign government here in Dublin directly effected by their action.

A mistake? Absurd. They look ridiculous today because they acted ridiculous yesterday.

The end result is our country has been left more vulnerable to the whims of a British government in relation to the protocol today than it was yesterday because the moral high ground has been conceded through stupidity (and according to themselves their own ignorance!).

The important thing now is to reign in irresponsible unionist leaders who want to end these arrangements- and who can blame them, they have been presented with the excuse they needed.

Ugh

Of course it was a mistake, their u turn has admitted as such.

Not communicating is appalling, but once it was known they listened to the Irish government and reversed course. That Ireland has such a direct line, and is listened to, should be a positive out of such a negative.

I do wonder how the likes of Scotland and NI look at their union and their lack of voice compared to Irelands direct line to the EU and not consider how little voice they have.

If the British government decides there is too much disruption and they trigger the article in the protocol what are we going to say?

The way I see it neither we or the EU could wag a finger now without looking like monumental hypocrites.

I guess we'd just have to suck up our new physical land border, right?

If the British government decides there is too much disruption and they trigger the article in the protocol what are we going to say?

The way I see it neither we or the EU could wag a finger now without looking like monumental hypocrites.

I think Westminster might then have to suck up a lot more.

This has been an issue for Ireland and NI. The EU has forgotten about it this morning. They have much larger fish to fry. As does Britain.

But they didn't follow through. So nothing actually happened. They thought about it, but decided against it.

Unfortunately the UK have no credibility given it actually voted to ignore international law. Not just thinking about it.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I see this is an clear overstep and overplay by a tired and underpressure EU. Clearly this was a big mistake, and there are serious questions to be answered as to how it happened and how is was allowed to progress to the point it did.

But enough of EU are a shambles nonsense. A mistake was made, and importantly a mistake was corrected. Lessons will, hopefully, be learned.

But it is a bit rich all the gloating from the UK, especially the UK journalists. These were the very people who constantly reminded during Brexit that anything the UK did should be seen in a certain context. That even when they not only floated the idea of breaking international law, but actually voting for it and the entire cabinet was 100% for it, it was just a powerplay and until it actually happened nobody should get too worked up about it.

Everyone needs to calm down. It was a mess up, no doubting that, but one that was rectified. The UK can't use it for anything as it never was followed through.

It does show how much pressure the EU is under, and how they are panicking. An earlier posted correctly said, they all need to take a breather, have a drink and refocus. Flapping around trying to undo the lack of vaccine won't help. AZ have pulled a fast one, its annoying but seems the contract gives them that wiggle room. No point being upset, it is what it is. Get whatever you can and learn the lesson.

UK are using their relatives success on the vaccine as a stick to beat the EU with, which is odd as they constantly tell us that international comparisons are meaningless.

EU should ignore the thumbthumping and gloating and focus on ramping up their own capabilities.

What it shows, to me, is that more integration is needed. We need an EU wide CDC type organisation. We need dedicated facilities, with capacity to handle the EU.

This episode shows very starkly the change in relationship. UK is very much a 3rd country. Not just in name, but in spirit. They have no alliance or responsibility for the EU are will not be part of anything the EU wants unless it totally benefits them (nothing wrong with that btw). The EU need to accept that and look to itself.

Agreed. Just a nitpick, there is already a CDC type organisation in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I suppose (whether a finger could be "wagged") depends on if they (UK) u-turn almost immediately or not.
    You should be able to see that - if you cannot :confused:

The high dungeon coming from the UK and especially the f-ing DUP is a bit much. They must think we all have the memory of goldfish.
    Sure the DUP were screeching for weeks for the NI protocol to be unilaterally scrapped by UK government over problems with moving ready meals and sausages from UK-NI!

fly_agaric wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on if they u-turn almost immediately or not.
    You should be able to see that - if you cannot :confused:

The high dungeon coming from the UK and especially the f-ing DUP is a bit much. They must think we all have the memory of goldfish.
    Sure the DUP were screeching for weeks for the NI protocol to be unilaterally scrapped by UK government over problems with moving ready meals and sausages from UK-NI!

The DUP are a joke, they have gone all in on this and detroyed any credibility for their own calls for a suspension of the protocol.

Gas, they haven't got any political nous or forethought at all.

Nice demonstration yesterday too for those who say that Ireland has no say in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

The DUP are a joke, they have gone all in on this and detroyed any credibility for their own calls for a suspension of the protocol.

Gas, they haven't got any political nous or forethought at all.

I suppose they don't care about the contradictions and people who strongly support them don't care.

It's all about the talking points and storing up ammo for getting one over on "the enemy" (in case of this EU mistake, ability to claim hypocrisy).

Underneath it all of course, they do want a (visible, tangible) border erected between NI-Ireland and the harder the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The important thing now is to reign in irresponsible unionist leaders who want to end these arrangements- and who can blame them, they have been presented with the template they needed.

Ugh

Exactly....i said it yesterday...

I was wondering if dominic cummings moved to brussels....a real Tory brit maneuver by the EU...

Imagine conceding the moral high ground to unionism and Boris Johnson...

A collosal clusterf*ck

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Exactly....i said it yesterday...

I was wondering if dominic cummings moved to brussels....a real Tory brit maneuver by the EU...

Imagine conceding the moral high ground to unionism and Boris Johnson...

A collosal clusterf*ck

They haven't though. Only if you completely ignore what the British actually say.

https://twitter.com/Lostfollicles/status/1355452390787461120?s=09

Advertisement