Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Bambi wrote: »
    Sure, a bunch of glorified civil servants in Brussels have the power to impose a hard border on this Island.

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fentries%2Ficons%2Ffacebook%2F000%2F004%2F130%2Fbagdad-bob.jpg&sp=1612017342T21c80a7f12622e698df0e577c11df18036b541445b98dd950297f8b7d4c6800a

A hard border, over trying to get EU vaccines?

As I recall it was the Brits, DUP and general ignoramuses who were trying to put a hard border there - just like they did in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Clearly someone overstepped the mark, but that is a different matter to your claim that Civil Servants have been given executive powers. That is not the case, EU Comissioners are not Civil Servants.

Read the post that my post was a reply to, like a good chap. He was the one who claimed the commsion was the equivalent of a civil service.

Of course, EU commisioners are polticians. Ones who are given careers in Europe by their governments when they're too toxic for home consumption, like the bould Phil, or Ursula, whose reward for making a complete balls of Germanys defence forces was to be put in charge of Europe. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,538 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Read the post that my post was a reply to, like a good chap. He was the one who claimed the commsion was the equivalent of a civil service.

Of course, EU commisioners are polticians. Ones who are given careers in Europe by their governments when they're too toxic for home consumption, like the bould Phil, or Ursula, whose reward for making a complete balls of Germanys defence forces was to be put in charge of Europe. :o

The Commission aren't civil servants but there would be EU civil servants doing the work on the ground and the Commissioners then being fed info and making decisions (and taking responsibility for them) based on that info. Same as with every elected body who makes decisions (or even any managerial level in a company for example!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

The EU is populated by failed politicians, Der Spiegel launched a scathing attack on Ursula, she has quite a track record.... Trouble is she has nowhere left to run this time

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/europe-s-vaccine-disaster-commission-president-ursula-von-der-leyen-seeking-to-duck-responsibility-a-1197547d-6219-4438-9d69-b76e64701802

The EU is populated by failed politicians, Der Spiegel launched a scathing attack on Ursula, she has quite a track record....

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/europe-s-vaccine-disaster-commission-president-ursula-von-der-leyen-seeking-to-duck-responsibility-a-1197547d-6219-4438-9d69-b76e64701802

I'd far rather have VDL representing me than the UK politicians.

https://www.ft.com/content/cc6b0d9a-d8cc-4ddb-8c57-726df018c10e
    Shortly afterwards, the prime minister called von der Leyen to try to patch things up. “We need to defibrillate the talks,” he said. “A bit like that scene in Pulp Fiction with Uma Thurman.” The commission president was nonplussed by the reference to Thurman’s character getting an adrenaline shot. “Be careful Boris,” she replied. “You’re talking to a medical doctor.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

I'd far rather have VDL representing me than the UK politicians.

https://www.ft.com/content/cc6b0d9a-d8cc-4ddb-8c57-726df018c10e

More fool you so... I wouldn't want to be hanging around waiting on her to save my life...

More fool you so... I wouldn't want to be hanging around waiting on her to save my life...

You'd rather get the oul' kiss of life from Bojo?............

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nearly half a million vaccine doses administered in the UK yesterday alone. They are flying and we are hamstrung in the EU.

Well done to them.

The head of the commission must resign as senior German politicians are now saying. The last few days have been the best possible advert for Brexit and an embarrassment for us.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nearly half a million vaccine doses administered in the UK yesterday alone. They are flying and we are hamstrung in the EU.

Well done to them.
    It's just unfortunate that they are not following the manufacturers advice in terms of the maximum time gap for the follow up jab.
    My MIL got her first jab in NI a week ago (an AZ vaccine) and is scheduled to get the second at the end of March.
    There is real fear in the medical and scientific worlds that this policy will cause greater damage in terms of not just insufficient immunisation but also in terms of assisting the formation of resistant strains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Well done to them.

The head of the commission must resign as senior German politicians are now saying. The last few days have been the best possible advert for Brexit and an embarrassment for us.

In 6 months no one will care who got vaccinated when.

They'll just look at the loss of life and the UK governments abysmal handling of their COVID response.

At least this vaccine drama distracts from the brexit shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's just unfortunate that they are not following the manufacturers advice in terms of the maximum time gap for the follow up jab.
    My MIL got her first jab in NI a week ago (an AZ vaccine) and is scheduled to get the second at the end of March.
    There is real fear in the medical and scientific worlds that this policy will cause greater damage in terms of not just insufficient immunisation but also in terms of assisting the formation of resistant strains.

There's the risk of the virus mutating to circumvent the immunity offered by the vaccine. SARS-CoV2 is an RNA virus so this isn't unlikely. That combined with Johnson's silly games in early 2020 and at Christmas has cost the UK dearly. Over 100,000 are dead now.

Their petty little attempt to stick the butcher's apron on the vials couldn't be more apt.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

coastwatch wrote: »

Please get me a bucket .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well done to them.

It has almost nothing to do with Brexit, except in so far as it the only bit of actual positive news coming out of the UK due to the complete shambles that Brexit is.

Had the UK stayed in the EU the UK could still be doing what it is doing. That, or they could have added more weight to the EU and maybe avoided the mistakes that the EI made.

What it doesn't do is solve any of the issues with Brexit. What it does show very clearly is that the UK have no intention of helping with any issues in the EU, which of course means that the EU must, if they hadn't before, see the UK as a direct competitor.

I think one lesson they will learn is that any future contracts such as with AZ, will have a very direct clause about EU being 1st of equals when any issues with supply with the UK arise.

This is clearly a very good news story for the Uk, in the short term. Long term their lack of grace and outright nationalistic glee will not be forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It has almost nothing to do with Brexit, except in so far as it the only bit of actual positive news coming out of the UK due to the complete shambles that Brexit is.

Had the UK stayed in the EU the UK could still be doing what it is doing. That, or they could have added more weight to the EU and maybe avoided the mistakes that the EI made.

What it doesn't do is solve any of the issues with Brexit. What it does show very clearly is that the UK have no intention of helping with any issues in the EU, which of course means that the EU must, if they hadn't before, see the UK as a direct competitor.

I think one lesson they will learn is that any future contracts such as with AZ, will have a very direct clause about EU being 1st of equals when any issues with supply with the UK arise.

This is clearly a very good news story for the Uk, in the short term. Long term their lack of grace and outright nationalistic glee will not be forgotten

100%, nicely said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭swampgas

The UK really seems to be doing its best to antagonise the EU. The EU are having to consider the UK as an increasingly hostile nation. Apart from simple vindictive pettiness, a trait Johnson is known to share with Trump, I can only see one reason for it - to poison the relationship as deeply as possible, so that any future government will find it more difficult to re-align with the EU.

Could this simply be the wealthy Brexiteers, worried about their offshore money, doing their best to ensure that a hard Brexit is not reversed anytime in the near future?

I don't think this vaccine stuff has anything to do with vindictiveness or a long term plan to destroy any chance of rejoning.

The UK have done, by any measure, a terrible job with Covid. Johnson has been all over the place. They keep changing their minds, not just on a direction to go, but what advice they will listen to. The numbers of death are astonishing.

Coupled with that Brexit is a disaster. There has yet to be any positive pulled from it and now that it has actually happened the negatives are no longer 'projections by experts' and are now actually happening.

Sp along comes not only a win for the government, the vaccine rollout, but even better they can compare that to the mess that is the EU rollout. For a government that has consistently told anybody that there is no use in international comparisons they are happily and forcefully making sure everyone knows just how great the UK is (and of course that means the government!).

It is more that it has landed nicely in their lap. It paints them in a good light, take the news stories away from the Brexit mess, and has the added benefit of being able to be sold as the UK being better off outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

coastwatch wrote: »

Wouldn't it make sense for the UK and Ireland to get their heads together and do this? Anything that would help rid both islands of covid is a good idea imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Wouldn't it make sense for the UK and Ireland to get their heads together and do this? Anything that would help rid both islands of covid is a good idea imo.

It would have made sense from day 1 for there to have been an all island aproach to health, with the same restrictions imposed at the same time north and south, but alas, sense does not come at the top of the list for these things in some quarters.

RobMc59 wrote: »

The UK aren't aren't together on this, never mind Ireland trying to agree to anything.

So yes, it is eminently sensible. Having various countries work together to deal with issues that affect them all is sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭swampgas

I don't think this vaccine stuff has anything to do with vindictiveness or a long term plan to destroy any chance of rejoning.

The UK have done, by any measure, a terrible job with Covid. Johnson has been all over the place. They keep changing their minds, not just on a direction to go, but what advice they will listen to. The numbers of death are astonishing.

Coupled with that Brexit is a disaster. There has yet to be any positive pulled from it and now that it has actually happened the negatives are no longer 'projections by experts' and are now actually happening.

Sp along comes not only a win for the government, the vaccine rollout, but even better they can compare that to the mess that is the EU rollout. For a government that has consistently told anybody that there is no use in international comparisons they are happily and forcefully making sure everyone knows just how great the UK is (and of course that means the government!).

It is more that it has landed nicely in their lap. It paints them in a good light, take the news stories away from the Brexit mess, and has the added benefit of being able to be sold as the UK being better off outside the EU.

Possibly, it's just the the level of belligerence towards the EU seems to me to be excessive, given what one would imagine would be in the best interests of the UK. Brexit is done (and the fallout ongoing) but the antagonism is unabated. The silly, petty business with the EU ambassador to the UK not being given diplomatic privileges is another unnecessary provocation of the EU, it's hard to see what the motivations are (and there may be many) for such levels of sustained rudeness, nastiness and lack of cooperation.

swampgas wrote: »
    Possibly, it's just the the level of belligerence towards the EU seems to me to be excessive, given what one would imagine would be in the best interests of the UK. Brexit is done (and the fallout ongoing) but the antagonism is unabated. The silly, petty business with the EU ambassador to the UK not being given diplomatic privileges is another unnecessary provocation of the EU, it's hard to see what the motivations are (and there may be many) for such levels of sustained rudeness, nastiness and lack of cooperation.

You have to understand it from where they are coming from. Many of them, JRM, Baker, Gove etc, do actually have a nasty case of outright hatred of the EU. This is about getting as far away from the EU as possible, at whatever cost. This is just another in a long line of reasons why the EU is the devil.

Another cohort have backed Brexit and now need a clear justification for that (and many of them would have previously argued against Brexit). With all the negative stories about Brexit, and of course the disastrous handling of Covid, they need something to 'prove' that it was and will be worth it.

Whenever anything negative happens in the EU the headlines will be the same. French truckers on strike? EU is doomed. Polish miners lose their jobs? EU is crumbling. Irish fishermen struggle with lack of quotas? EU is a sham.

Its noise designed to keep those that were taken in by the Brexit lies something to cling to as the reality is not something they want to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

When this whole ****show broke I posted that it will be amusing to watch the gymnastics some posters will perform to avoid admitting that its a ****show of the EUs making

The EU made a balls of their vaccination strategy, long before they started a public war of words with AZ. The British vaccine strategy was on the money. The results speak for themselves.

The EU tried to trigger article 16, the Brits didn't

None of that is "tabloid spin". You'll just find on boards the type of Irish person who will defend their percieved betters no matter what. The Germans, the Dutch, The French, don't suffer from that particularly Irish inferiority complex. They're not going "but...but what about Brexit". They're calling for heads to roll for this shambles

That said, They werent glefully predicting that the Brits would be enduring shortages of medicine post Brexit. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

It's gas to see the Irish politicians parroting the EU line, just after the EU gave us a slap in the face.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The British vaccine strategy was on the money. The results speak for themselves.
    The Brits approved the vaccines despite not having the full information on them.
    In addition to this, they have adopted a policy of spacing out the time between the first and second doses, going against the advice and recommendations of the manufacturers.
    Hardly "on the money"!
    As for the results, it's far too early to know if the vaccinations strategy has worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Ireland changing quickly in response to Brexit ...
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0131/1194166-rosslare-freight/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The UK leaving the EU should be a wake up call for everyone.

Whether they will be the last is a choice for those that support the EU ultimately not the other way around.

UK putting in their application for membership of CPTPP tomorrow. A block that was put together in the hope of being able to coordinate push backs against China

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0131/1194105-uk-to-join-cptpp/

So much for going it alone.....

I wonder how all the UK people who hated the Eastern Europeans would feel about an influx of brown people arriving in from Mexico to do the lower paid jobs?

The UK leaving the EU should be a wake up call for everyone.

Whether they will be the last is a choice for those that support the EU ultimately not the other way around.

There are a lot more people queuing up to join than there are wanted to leave........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

When this whole ****show broke I posted that it will be amusing to watch the gymnastics some posters will perform to avoid admitting that its a ****show of the EUs making

The EU made a balls of their vaccination strategy, long before they started a public war of words with AZ. The British vaccine strategy was on the money. The results speak for themselves.

The EU tried to trigger article 16, the Brits didn't

None of that is "tabloid spin". You'll just find on boards the type of Irish person who will defend their percieved betters no matter what. The Germans, the Dutch, The French, don't suffer from that particularly Irish inferiority complex. They're not going "but...but what about Brexit". They're calling for heads to roll for this shambles

That said, They werent glefully predicting that the Brits would be enduring shortages of medicine post Brexit. :o

Nobody said the EU was perfect Bambi. Has the advantages and disadvantages of being in any organisation.

And you should be aware of the old adage: one swallow does not a summer make.

Advertisement