Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Bambi wrote: »
    When this whole ****show broke I posted that it will be amusing to watch the gymnastics some posters will perform to avoid admitting that its a ****show of the EUs making

The EU made a balls of their vaccination strategy, long before they started a public war of words with AZ. The British vaccine strategy was on the money. The results speak for themselves.

The EU tried to trigger article 16, the Brits didn't

None of that is "tabloid spin". You'll just find on boards the type of Irish person who will defend their percieved betters no matter what. The Germans, the Dutch, The French, don't suffer from that particularly Irish inferiority complex. They're not going "but...but what about Brexit". They're calling for heads to roll for this shambles

That said, They werent glefully predicting that the Brits would be enduring shortages of medicine post Brexit. :o

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with the fact that this row means nothing in terms of whether Brexit is a success or not.

There is no tabloid spin, hence the universal negative reaction. Can you point out the spin that you are talking about?

If you mean the 'spin' that people are saying that this really isn't such a massive problem, although it certainly had the possibility of becoming one, since the EU stepped back after listening to its members, then is more the reality of the situation rather than the hyperbole from the DUP and Tory claiming that Art 16 was something nobody should ever even mention...despite Johnson two weeks ago claiming he would invoke it at any time if he felt like it.

Of course there needs to be a review, I don't think anyone is denying that. Unlike, for example, the UK, which continues to say that now is not the time to review anything to do with Covid.

The EU didn't make a balls of it, but certainly but I would say that they should have been more proactive and aggressive in their targeting of vaccines. For one, they should have made sure that they got a guaranteed delivery, and that others would have to suffer. It seems they took the view that AZ would treat everyone equally.

As I posted earlier, I think the EU will learn a big lesson from this. I also think they will look for a stronger unified approach in the future. They lost time by having individual countries start the process before getting involved. As an issue like Covid affects everyone in the EU, it makes sense to have a collective approach.

Nobody is defending the EU, what people like myself are stating is that the pearl-clutching is a bit much to take from the UK when they acted like spoilt children for the last 4 years. Demanding they get special treatment.

But now they have the upper hand, they are making sure that the EU is made feel as uncomfortable as possible.

There are a number of things that can be true at the same time

1) The Eu made a mistake
    2) Brexit is a disaster
    3) The UK has done well in the vaccines
    4) the bet that the Uk made on vaccines may have failed and it would have ended up like the EU were the wiser.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

When this whole ****show broke I posted that it will be amusing to watch the gymnastics some posters will perform to avoid admitting that its a ****show of the EUs making

The EU made a balls of their vaccination strategy, long before they started a public war of words with AZ. The British vaccine strategy was on the money. The results speak for themselves.

The EU tried to trigger article 16, the Brits didn't

None of that is "tabloid spin". You'll just find on boards the type of Irish person who will defend their percieved betters no matter what. The Germans, the Dutch, The French, don't suffer from that particularly Irish inferiority complex. They're not going "but...but what about Brexit". They're calling for heads to roll for this shambles

That said, They werent glefully predicting that the Brits would be enduring shortages of medicine post Brexit. :o

So you're only here to gloat about some sort of imaginary win, basically.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's gas to see the Irish politicians parroting the EU line, just after the EU gave us a slap in the face.

What else is Martin gonna do? It's not like he can do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The sad outcome for the Irexiters is the patent demonstrating that we have a say in the EU.
    Hard to keep the myth going after this.

So you're only here to gloat about some sort of imaginary win, basically.

Here to highlight the blind devotion we see from some posters towards the EU that precludes any criticism of it. In the hope others realise its not a healthy thing to see in our society

It's a terrible loss for Ireland, our vaccine rollout up on blocks, our position on the broder undermined by the EU, showing us that they can impose a border over our heads if they want.

It might serve to Illustrate why the powers of a state should be not be divested from elected governments, that are answerable to voters and a parliamentary oppostion, to be given to a commission appointed by international bargaining. But thats just me y'know, thinking nation states are far more democratic and accountable than international bodies. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Here to highlight the blind devotion we see from some posters towards the EU that precludes any criticism of it. In the hope others realise its not a healthy thing to see in our society

It's a terrible loss for Ireland, our vaccine rollout up on blocks, our position on the broder undermined by the EU, showing us that they can impose a border over our heads if they want.

It might serve to Illustrate why the powers of a state should be not be divested from elected governments, that are answerable to voters and a parliamentary oppostion, to be given to a commission appointed by international bargaining. But thats just me y'know, thinking nation states are far more democratic and accountable than international bodies. :o

This is just the usual Europhobic sophistry.

I don't think the EU is perfect and I've no problem criticising it but the fake-outrage on display here and the fawning over a country whose leader didn't even bother attending Cobra meetings, boasted about shaking hands with patients and dithered about locking down resulting in over 100,000 deaths.

The only reason the vaccine worked was because it was developed by experts at Oxford and AstraZeneca. I'd estimate the current Conservative party wouldn't have let the foreign team members into the country when they immigrated if they'd the chance. Now they want to undermine it by mixing and match and delaying the boosters for numbers.

The one triumph about the British response and it has nothing to do with the government.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

The UK leaving the EU should be a wake up call for everyone.

Whether they will be the last is a choice for those that support the EU ultimately not the other way around.

No it wasn't a wake up call

https://www.independent.ie/videos/mep-clare-daly-blames-eu-for-causing-uk-to-leave-union-38914038.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Bambi, I look about at those here and abroad that constantly criticise the EU no matter what is done (they'll often adopt one argument to criticise the EU for x and contradictory one to criticise the EU for y - any port in a storm), and don't see much that is very attractive to me about them.

They are well able to shout proudly and beat their chests about loving their country and taking it back from the EU (or on opposite side of the spectrum, engage in some pipe-dreams of a communist utopia, freed from shackles of the EU).

However, they're without exception IMO a bunch of useless wasters that shouldn't be within an asses roar of any power.
    Would say they'd put FF/FG in the hapenny place for corruption, given the purse strings & opportunities.

When/if they ever start to hold sway here and and in the other countries around Europe + get many people listening to them (they've taken over completely in the UK already) it is not going to be a healthy sign for society at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

I am going to bookmark this post and many others. What do you think UK will do down the road to travel between uk (including north) and Ireland if they end up vaccinating most of population and we don’t ? Sit back for a minute and think...

If we don't? You realise that what you are actually talking about is a relativly short time lag, right?

Current difficulties are just initial teething problems. Existing vaccines will ramp up production and new vaccines are becoming available as time moves on. By the middle of the year there will be little to distinguish the UK vaccine rollout from anywhere else in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Apart from making a few phone calls and having the decision reversed less than 24 hours after it was made, you mean?

The EU hasn't exactly covered itself with glory here and there are a number of lessons to be learned. But it requires an extraordinarily one-eyed view to conclude that one of those lessons is that Ireland is without influence in the EU. The course of events shows that the exact opposite is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

our position on the broder undermined by the EU, showing us that they can impose a border over our heads if they want.

It's very likely had we not been in the EU there'd have been a hard border on our island again and all the problems that would have come with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

It would take a completely blinded view to not also realise that the commission using carrots and threats of sticks is keeping these companies to contracts they signed, as we seen with Apple our own government is incapable of dealing tough with large corporations. It’s quite obvious someone in AZ high up thought they could get away with shafting EU they and other companies will now know better. This is good for Ireland, combined weight of 27 countries allowing to keep the likes of greedy AZ in line

I'm not sure how you can present being disrespected by brussels as being good for Ireland. The world press is reporting about the humiliating brussels u turn and even European press is highly critical of brussels whole approach to vaccine rollout and procurement.
    The Taoiseach was critical of brussels yesterday,how on earth can you suggest this has been anything but a disaster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

RobMc59 wrote:
    The Taoiseach was critical of brussels yesterday,how on earth can you suggest this has been anything but a disaster ?

Disaster for who?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you can present being disrespected by brussels as being good for Ireland. The world press is reporting about the humiliating brussels u turn and even European press is highly critical of brussels whole approach to vaccine rollout and procurement.

peanuts compared to the whole brexit disaster

Oh get off with your hyperbole

1. has some low level beuracrat put up a draft on website, Yes, bad mistake

2. was Article 16 officially triggered, No

3. Did DUP call for article 16 be triggered publicly few weeks ago? Yes, silly buggers they are

4. Was this done by Boris? No

The fact that someone in Irish government so quickly was able to rectify this just shows that we have a say in how EU operates

The fact that Northern Ireland was front and center of EU negotiations with end result being a border on Irish Sea shows how being an EU member has allowed us to use EU soft power stick it to the bullying Brits who caused so much ****e on this island before

I have the greatest respect for Ireland and your Taoiseach.
    You on the other hand, appear to be delusional and your loyalty to big brother in brussels is misplaced.

I have the greatest respect for Ireland and your Taoiseach.
    You on the other hand, appear to be delusional and your loyalty to big brother in brussels is misplaced.

WHat's delusional.

The facts are there in front of you Rob.
    Our membership of the EU saw to it that a border was placed in the Irish Sea and no twisting from Theresa May or Boris or Unionists changed that.
    When the EU Commission proposed doing something we didn't want them to do, invoke Art 16, they listened immediately and put their hands up to admit the mistake and ensure that no invoking of Art 16 will take place without full consultation with those involved.

Compare and contrast to the people with issues around Brexit in your great wee Union. There is NO comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

WHat's delusional.

The facts are there in front of you Rob.
    Our membership of the EU saw to it that a border was placed in the Irish Sea and no twisting from Theresa May or Boris or Unionists changed that.
    When the EU Commission proposed doing something we didn't want them to do, invoke Art 16, they listened immediately and put their hands up to admit the mistake and ensure that no invoking of Art 16 will take place without full consultation with those involved.

Compare and contrast to the people with issues around Brexit in your great wee Union. There is NO comparison.

that appears to be the nub of the issue. they don't see admitting to a mistake as a good thing. they prefer their politicians to continually screw up and lay the blame on somebody else.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not sure how you can present being disrespected by brussels as being good for Ireland.
    You're still at it. :rolleyes:
    Once the Irish government got wind of it, they made some calls and it was over.
    If anything, this shows that we have control of processes within the EU that affect Ireland. The EU didn't bulldoze anything through although what they did do was a mistake and, whilst it remains to be seen, should not happen again.
    You are now using this to further your anti-EU/pro-Brexit agenda purely because your argument has nothing of substance.
    Do I feel that Ireland was disrespected? Nope and to be honest, I find the treatment of Ireland by our closest neighbour over recent years absolutely disrespectful but I haven't seen you post anything critical about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

3. Did DUP call for article 16 be triggered publicly few weeks ago? Yes, silly buggers they are

Yes. I think some of the DUP were calling for Boris Johnson to just renege on the whole thing (NI protocol), not trigger an emergency procedure in it.

He also said he'd have no qualms triggering this "article 16" if it was needed.

Of course (for DUP) it wasn't going to be for a critical product (novel Covid-19 vaccines) which there is currently a shortage of in the whole of Europe (except UK!). They want it done for everything presumably... processed supermarket food products have drawn particular ire.

There are no shortages of them in NI afaik, just issues of choice in some of the UK supplied supermarkets.

Looks like a few are going to have go through some more pain to complete the mess.

Complete turnaround on the choice to leave.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1356210271027654659

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Apart from making a few phone calls and having the decision reversed less than 24 hours after it was made, you mean?

The EU hasn't exactly covered itself with glory here and there are a number of lessons to be learned. But it requires an extraordinarily one-eyed view to conclude that one of those lessons is that Ireland is without influence in the EU. The course of events shows that the exact opposite is the case.

Previously it was next to impossible for the Brits to impose a hard border on this Island daue to the GFA. Now we've found out that both the EU and Brits can do so over our heads via Article 16 and our Government will have no say, other than ring up either party and ask if they very kindly wouldnt mind letting us have our peace deal back, pretty please.

And some posters on here think we should be grateful to the EU that we've dont have a hard border...after they unilaterally imposed a hard border and made it far eaiser for the Brits to justify doing so in the future :confused:

You have to believe that this is the level of competence in the commision for that to fly, in which case how could you not demand resignations

DKF.png

You literally have to believe to believe this is how events unfolded

Previously it was next to impossible for the Brits to impose a hard border on this Island daue to the GFA. Now we've found out that both the EU and Brits can do so over our heads via Article 16 and our Government will have no say, other than ring up either party and ask if they very kindly wouldnt mind letting us have our peace deal back, pretty please.

And some posters on here think we should be grateful to the EU that we've dont have a hard border...after they unilaterally imposed a hard border and made it far eaiser for the Brits to justify doing so in the future :confused:

You have to believe that this is the level of competence in the commision for that to fly, in which case how could you not demand resignations

All wrong. Article 16 was never activated. It was just a proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

DKF.png

Despite its imperfections, on the world stage, the EU is the only show in town for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Doctor Roast

If anything this whole debacle proves the EU should just concern itself with trade, forget the notions of a grand superstate and go back to regulating shower heads and light bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It was the UK decision to trigger Brexit that started the need for a hard border. Only for the EU agreeing to set aside its own rules was a border avoided.

A border, either now or in the future, is 100% down to the decision of the Uk to leave the EU. Where the UK still in the EU then a border wouldn't even be being talked about.

The GFA did not create a No Border. The standard rules across the two countries, UK and ROI, due to EU membership meant that the need for a border was much reduced and both countries could live with the non existence of a border.

Brexit is based entirely on erecting and controlling borders.

How you can possibly call any border the EU's fault, when the entire point of the EU has been to reduce borders, is frankly, laughable.

All wrong. Article 16 was never activated. It was just a proposal.

There's gymnastics and then theres plain dishonesty :o

"The EU invoked Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol which allows parts of the deal to be unilaterally overridden.

In a new regulation, the European Commission stated: "This is justified as a safeguard measure pursuant to Article 16 of that Protocol in order to avert serious societal difficulties due to a lack of supply threatening to disturb the orderly implementation of the vaccination campaigns in the Member States." "

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-55864442

"The Commission said it triggered Article 16 using the emergency procedure, which allows it to “act fast before the Member States are formally consulted” due to “the urgency of the situation, justified by the lack of transparency in a time where the production and delivery of vaccines is still in the building-up phase and the ensuing temporary global shortage.”"

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-eu-coronavirus-vaccine-fight-crisis-call/

"Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Claire Byrne, Mr Coveney said triggering Article 16 of the Northern Ireland protocol was a mistake that should not have happened."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0201/1194281-article-16-brexit-politics/

Despite its imperfections, on the world stage, the EU is the only show in town for Ireland.

Used to be a lot of people on this Island who made similar statements about the British Empire. Didn't work out well for us in the end :o

There's gymnastics and then theres plain dishonesty :o

"The EU invoked Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol which allows parts of the deal to be unilaterally overridden.

In a new regulation, the European Commission stated: "This is justified as a safeguard measure pursuant to Article 16 of that Protocol in order to avert serious societal difficulties due to a lack of supply threatening to disturb the orderly implementation of the vaccination campaigns in the Member States." "

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-55864442

"The Commission said it triggered Article 16 using the emergency procedure, which allows it to “act fast before the Member States are formally consulted” due to “the urgency of the situation, justified by the lack of transparency in a time where the production and delivery of vaccines is still in the building-up phase and the ensuing temporary global shortage.”"

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-eu-coronavirus-vaccine-fight-crisis-call/

"Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Claire Byrne, Mr Coveney said triggering Article 16 of the Northern Ireland protocol was a mistake that should not have happened."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0201/1194281-article-16-brexit-politics/

Used to be a lot of people on this Island who made similar statements about the British Empire. Didn't work out well for us in the end :o

It was triggered but had no effect because we intervened.

Are you proposing we team up with the UK or a 'go it alone' alternative?

There's gymnastics and then theres plain dishonesty

Well, given the lies you've told here and your gloating I won't feel too bad about such a minor error.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Just listening to Simon Coveney on Pat Kenny from this morning discussing the A16 issue.
    He went through the issue exactly, was very forceful how it shouldn't have happened, how quickly they moved to have it retracted and how he didn't think that it was something which meant heads (possibly up to Van der Leyen as suggested by Pat) over.
    He's a very competent politician and seems fully informed and in control of his brief.
    (Edit: Spoke about the A16 issue, the application of Covid 5Km restrictions in the border regions, possibility of the Taoiseach going to Washington for St Patricks day and then the situation in Myanmar and was informed and strong on all points. )

• Advertisement

It was triggered but had no effect because we intervened.

Are you proposing we team up with the UK or a 'go it alone' alternative?
    According to the Irish examiner and a plethora of media outlets von der layden spoke to the Taoiseach and Johnson.That,combined with the kickback from all quarters resulted in a swift u turn.
    Rewriting or airbrushing history doesn't change the facts,whether it's the actions of de valera in ww2 for example or how the EU has treated Ireland and the UK in the last few days.

Advertisement