Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭joeguevara

it was an example to make a point not an actuallity.

It’s an example you have raised numerous times. If you don’t believe in your own examples it’s very difficult to discuss this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

joeguevara wrote: »
    It’s an example you have raised numerous times. If you don’t believe in your own examples it’s very difficult to discuss this.
    Never discussed German car industry before Joe. Better check your facts again.

Never discussed German car industry before Joe. Better check your facts again.

You used it as examples in 476 483 and 523. Three different times in last few hours. If you didn’t believe it was a real example, then why use it to bolster an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

pjohnson wrote: »
    Suprised some of the diehard brexit boys are still using a European website.

The obsession with the Eu is likely to go on and on even though it’s nothing to do with them now. I doubt they’re on the USA or Asian equivalents of boards bleating on about their freedom bla bla

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Be a minimum of 23% cheaper. A minimum of 230 euro on every 1000.

i live on the south coast, im not gonna be traveling all the way up north to be doing me shopping! lifes too short, and i probably wont save anything by traveling costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

What are you basing that on? It's been pointed out to you multiple times there are multiple rates of VAT. If the UK look to remove VAT in its entirety from its own internal goods/services then the tax take which the UK used to receive from VAT will need to be replaced by something else. You'll literally replace one consumption tax with another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Ehhh ... are you sure about that? :rolleyes:

Ireland's standard rate of VAT is 23%, with reduced rates of 13.5% and 9% on certain products. So stuff will be a maximum of 23% cheaper.

Unless, of course, you're buying a thousand euros' worth of tampons, currently zero-rated in Ireland but taxed at 5% in the UK ... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

asgaard wrote: »
    If I want to buy someting from UK do I have to pay custom tax (say e.g. through ebay site) ?

Not until the end of the year at least but then yes, they will just be another third country subject to VAT and Customs duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Not until the end of the year at least but then yes, they will just be another third country subject to VAT and Customs duties.

And of course the glorious EU will not allow our supposedly independent country to make a deal with them

Ehhh ... are you sure about that? :rolleyes:

Ireland's standard rate of VAT is 23%, with reduced rates of 13.5% and 9% on certain products. So stuff will be a maximum of 23% cheaper.

Unless, of course, you're buying a thousand euros' worth of tampons, currently zero-rated in Ireland but taxed at 5% in the UK ... :p
    What are you basing that on? It's been pointed out to you multiple times there are multiple rates of VAT. If the UK look to remove VAT in its entirety from its own internal goods/services then the tax take which the UK used to receive from VAT will need to be replaced by something else. You'll literally replace one consumption tax with another.

You see this is what you are dealing with here.

A selection of people who cannot accept what has happened and will happen here in Ireland and also are obsessed with another country whose inhabitants by large do not know they exist.

Let alone from that in their haste to condemn anything that they oppose. They do not or incapable of even understanding what was written and what they are reading.

In my post which they refer too. I clearly pointed out that IF the vat was abolished in NI then goods would be at least 23% cheaper than here in the Republic. I also pointed out clearly that any loss to the Gov would be small because of the tiny population in NI.

So in their frantic attempt to muddy what people clearly say they just keep spouting gobbledygook and pure bollox. Then start the accusations game. Who the hell would travel to NI to buy a truck load of Tampax?

It really is a pure waste of time. I am beginning to think its just one or two people with multiple Boards accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It has been 12 hours, and *looks around* the place is still here.
    I thought the Apocalypse would have happened by now.

Mad-Max-Fury-Road.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370

I clearly pointed out that IF the vat was abolished in NI then goods would be at least 23% cheaper here in the Republic. I also pointed out clearly that any loss to the Gov would be small because of the tiny population in NI.

:confused:

You postulated that the UK govt would abolish VAT
    As a result, you stated that UK rates of VAT would not apply in NI, i.e. that goods sold in NI would be vat-free.
    You did not, in any post, say that VAT in the RoI would inevitably be abolished.

But you did imply that it wouldn't because supposedly goods would be (a minimum of) 23% cheaper in NI, encouraging everyone from Dundalk to Skibbereen to do their shopping north of the border.

How on earth have you suddenly made the leap from that to saying that prices "here in the Republic" would be 23% cheaper?

It sounds like you don't really know how national sovereignty and economics work in practice. At the moment, I'm temporarily based in the border-zone of France, Germany and Switzerland. In France, VAT rates are 20%, 13%, 10%, 5.5% and 2.1%; In Germany, the rates are 19% and 7%; outside the EU, in Switzerland, they're 7.7%, 3.7% and 2.5%. Guess what? Nobody cares that there are ten different rates in operation within the space of a few hundred km².

And guess what else? The country with the lowest overall VAT rates (i.e., the one that's not in the EU) has the highest retail prices for just about everything.

So would you like to put real figures to your assertion, or is it just another hypothetical example like the "German car manufacturers" you cited above?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

@ Boredstiff666

If the UK government were to abolish the 23% VAT level in the UK and/or NI.....where do you think they will get the money from to run the NHS and other institutions??? Who is going to pay for customers and border police etc.???

Having lived in a household all my life with politicians of various levels coming in and out, I learned very early if you give the population or a particular group a tax benifit you have to be sure that you pull that money back in at another point. Likewise if you increase internal spending you have to fund it. Governments have 2-3 ways of getting income....

1. Sell off natural resources or public companies
    2. Import duties, visa fee, education fees....
    3. Taxing there own people

1. Not many natural resources...gas is running out
    2. Import duties will be put on sales prices making products more expensive, visa fees will reduce visitors and associated spending, education fees will mean less money in the system.
    3. Taxing people...easiest and most effient. Just have to sell it correctly

As for NI..they have been thrown under a bus by Boris. 700K Irish passports held by the population...most wanted to remain. At this moment in time I would say it is only the hard core Unionists who will clain Brexit is a good thing. The seed is set, will take time but they will seek to leave the Union within the next 10 years if the UK has not already asked to return to the EU by then.

Scotland is also close to a second independence reforendum......

:confused:

You postulated that the UK govt would abolish VAT
    As a result, you stated that UK rates of VAT would not apply in NI, i.e. that goods sold in NI would be vat-free.
    You did not, in any post, say that VAT in the RoI would inevitably be abolished.

But you did imply that it wouldn't because supposedly goods would be (a minimum of) 23% cheaper in NI, encouraging everyone from Dundalk to Skibbereen to do their shopping north of the border.

How on earth have you suddenly made the leap from that to saying that prices "here in the Republic" would be 23% cheaper?

It sounds like you don't really know how national sovereignty and economics work in practice. At the moment, I'm temporarily based in the border-zone of France, Germany and Switzerland. In France, VAT rates are 20%, 13%, 10%, 5.5% and 2.1%; In Germany, the rates are 19% and 7%; outside the EU, in Switzerland, they're 7.7%, 3.7% and 2.5%. Guess what? Nobody cares that there are ten different rates in operation within the space of a few hundred km².

And guess what else? The country with the lowest overall VAT rates (i.e., the one that's not in the EU) has the highest retail prices for just about everything.

So would you like to put real figures to your assertion, or is it just another hypothetical example like the "German car manufacturers" you cited above?

What the hell are you banging on about? I gave an example of abolishing vat in Northern Ireland only and that was in reference to a claim of open borders here between the south and north. Put whatever you are smoking down and go and rest somewhere with fresh air then read again.

@ Boredstiff666

If the UK government were to abolish the 23% VAT level in the UK and/or NI.....where do you think they will get the money from to run the NHS and other institutions??? Who is going to pay for customers and border police etc.???

They have to subsidise the place by at least 10 billion every year just to stop them fighting. a few more wouldnt make much difference. besides the money from the 4.5 million neighbours shoppers may even offset it.

They have to subsidise the place by at least 10 billion every year just to stop them fighting. a few more wouldnt make much difference. besides the money from the 4.5 million neighbours shoppers may even offset it.

You do realise if they dont have a trade agreement with the EU those goods which have a different tax rate than the EU will have to be declared at the border and tax paid on products over I think approx. €140. If London start playing those silly games you can be sure the Irish will have customers officers on every road leaving the North and a border will have to be put in place.

The 10 billion will be reduced further....wasnt the executive given 8 billion some weeks ago, remember reading something along the lines of Boris got one over them?? Should the UK lose its right to trade with the EU it will have an effect on UK budgets regardless if Boris admits it today or not.

You do realise if they dont have a trade agreement with the EU those goods which have a different tax rate than the EU will have to be declared at the border and tax paid on products over I think approx. €140. If London start playing those silly games you can be sure the Irish will have customers officers on every road leaving the North and a border will have to be put in place.

The 10 billion will be reduced further....wasnt the executive given 8 billion some weeks ago, remember reading something along the lines of Boris got one over them?? Should the UK lose its right to trade with the EU it will have an effect on UK budgets regardless if Boris admits it today or not.

My point exactly and of no cost to the uk and a win win win situation to them. So Leo or? installs a hard border....classic dont you think. Kind of makes a mockery of .....Ireland calling the shots and no hard border in Irelans'.

What the hell are you banging on about? I gave an example of abolishing vat in Northern Ireland only and that was in reference to a claim of open borders here between the south and north.

How can the UK abolish VAT in NI only? That'd drive the English nationalists up the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How can the UK abolish VAT in NI only? That'd drive the English nationalists up the walls.

How would it not be seen as the first shots in an economic war designed to undermine the economy of a neighbouring state.

Not really nobody wants to hear about the place.....anywhere except Leo of course.

• Advertisement

My point exactly and of no cost to the uk and a win win win situation to them. So Leo or? installs a hard border....classic dont you think.

Haven't you forgotten the signed, sealed and delivered frontstop? Those EU customs officers will be collecting VAT on the GB-NI border if there's any risk of those products entering the EU market, i.e. the boots of Irish-registered cars. It's all there in the Withdrawal Agreement, "oven ready" so to speak. :p

How would it not be seen as the first shots in an economic war designed to undermine the economy of a neighbouring state.

No economic war just UK tax policy to revitalise an area. UK can do what it likes it is not goverened by any EU regs. As Boris says not a rule taker.

I have always said watch what happens after January.

Besides he cando whatever he likes throughout the UK.

It has already been mentioned of Tax Free Ports around the country and the UK could be turned into another Singapore regards goods. The UK can do what it wants. The EU is trapped within its own rules and regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

biko wrote: »
    It has been 12 hours, and *looks around* the place is still here.
    I thought the Apocalypse would have happened by now.

Mad-Max-Fury-Road.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=740&h=370

It's a bit chilly over here, one of them.lazy winds that refuses to go around you so cuts right through ya. I'm off to morrisons shortly to stock up on essential, I'll report back and let you all know if the shelves are bare.

Not really nobody wants to hear about the place.....anywhere except Leo of course.

OK, so now the idea is that Boris can undermine the whole of the EU by leaving the standard UK VAT rate at 20% for the Scots, English and Welsh, but dropping it to zero for NI. And this'll work because 4 million Kerrymen will drive to Newry to take advantage of VAT-free televisions, but not a single one of the 60 million living on the island of Great Britain will abandon their local Currys-PCWorld to hop over to Belfast for the same reason?

I'm going to need another coffee to get my head around this logic. :p

My point exactly and of no cost to the uk and a win win win situation to them. So Leo or? installs a hard border....classic dont you think. Kind of makes a mockery of .....Ireland calling the shots and no hard border in Irelans'.

Leo will not install a border.....Brussels will instruct him to, it will not be the wish of the Irish government, Boris is the one who can prevent it. If it is to be taken seriously and Boris is to keep his promise from yesterday all goods entering from the EU will be subject to customs checks.....that means there will be a cost to the UK also and checks between the Republic and N. Ireland. Or is Boris telling porkies again???

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No economic war just UK tax policy to revitalise an area. UK can do what it likes it is not goverened by any EU regs. As Boris says not a rule taker.

I have always said watch what happens after January.

Besides he cando whatever he likes throughout the UK.

It has already been mentioned of Tax Free Ports around the country and the UK could be turned into another Singapore regards goods. The UK can do what it wants. The EU is trapped within its own rules and regs.

He can't 'do what he wants'.

His hands are quite tied as a matter of fact, more than previous UK PM's, as pointed out by CelticRambler.

Back into the real world of real politics BoredStiff.

So you consider having a hard border is a win for the U.K. You use examples and when shown that they are farcical, you backtrack and say they are not to be taken literally. But believe that a hard border and a probable return to the troubles is a win.

What point were you originally trying to make with the 0 VAT rate example?

Also, you constantly backtrack when you’re called out. You said you had never mentioned German car industry previously but when shown three different posts, silence. Also, you said that it’s not a real life example and only used for argument.

Is the main crux Ireland will have no say. UK will call the shots in negotiations and France and Germany will shaft Ireland to cowtow to the mighty U.K.?

The U.K. are now on the EU diet. You got rid of Brussels and the pounds will disappear..

Haven't you forgotten the signed, sealed and delivered frontstop? Those EU customs officers will be collecting VAT on the GB-NI border if there's any risk of those products entering the EU market, i.e. the boots of Irish-registered cars. It's all there in the Withdrawal Agreement, "oven ready" so to speak. :p

Exactly but none of this is cost or problems to the UK only EU countries.

Remember no hard border on the island of Ireland. But Leo has everyman and his dog checking cars, vans, and lorries.

They couldnt stop guns, rockets and people when the troubles where on and that was with the British army not a few Guards.

joeguevara wrote: »
    So you consider having a hard border is a win for the U.K. You use examples and when shown that they are farcical, you backtrack and say they are not to be taken literally. But believe that a hard border and a probable return to the troubles is a win.

What point were you originally trying to make with the 0 VAT rate example?

Also, you constantly backtrack when you’re called out. You said you had never mentioned German car industry previously but when shown three different posts, silence. Also, you said that it’s not a real life example and only used for argument.

Is the main crux Ireland will have no say. UK will call the shots in negotiations and France and Germany will shaft Ireland to cowtow to the mighty U.K.?

The U.K. are now on the EU diet. You got rid of Brussels and the pounds will disappear..

Oh whatever you say boss.

• Advertisement

You mean like Rotterdam's Europort or the Shannon Free Trade Zone? Ah, OK, so ... em ... basically copy working EU models, but pretend they're inspired by the Asians. Yeah, that could work.

Advertisement