Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Peregrinus wrote: »
    And worth pointing out in this context that the Scottish Parliament does have the power to vary the basic rate of income tax in Scotland, if it chooses. It has never exercised that power, but the principle that, legally and constitutionally, there can be different tax rates in different parts of the UK is well settled. Plus, of course, there have long been calls in NI for corporation tax rates there to be aligned to rates in the Republic, which again would mean different corporation tax rates in NI and GB.

While the tax rates are the same, the thresholds for these tax rates are lower in Scotland than in the rest of the UK (ie the point at which higher rate tax starts is lower in Scotland).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Ireland needs to prepare for no-deal. Britain is heading for a major collision with reality, by the looks of it. In the medium term we need to get the British state out of the six counties and in the longer term we need to quit the farce of 'neutrality' and get fully behind a federal EU.

Supporting "EU" federalism is treasonous.

For what died the sons of Róisín?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Risteard81 wrote: »

Fame I think. Or maybe gold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Accusing people of treason is an emotional and, frankly weak argument.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Accusing people of treason is an emotional and, frankly weak argument.

If a person supports the authority and control of it's people to be transferred to another power other than it's own elected government.......Would that be Treason?

It's 1924 and somebody proposes that laws made in Britain are to overule laws made in the Dail. Then they transfer that power to Westminster.......would that be Treason or a Treasonous act?

Would somebody not living in Ireland but supporting such publically.......Would that person be seen as a traitor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I have seen so often in this and other threads that posters slip in, cause something an act of treason (e.g. Lisbon 2) and when asked to explain why it is disappear.

Treason is not an adjective. It is a defined act in Ireland. It is as follows: in levying war against the State, or assisting any State or person or inciting or conspiring with any person to levy war against the State, or attempting by force of arms or other violent means to overthrow the organs of government established by this Constitution, or taking part or being concerned in or inciting or conspiring with any person to make or to take part or be concerned in any such attempt

Being part of the EU or any action Ireland has taken so far with the EU is not treason.

Ireland needs to prepare for no-deal. Britain is heading for a major collision with reality, by the looks of it. In the medium term we need to get the British state out of the six counties and in the longer term we need to quit the farce of 'neutrality' and get fully behind a federal EU.

There will be a 'no deal' as you say. Whether the UK wants it or not that is going to be the result. But also the EU will start to break up in it's present form.

That's what I think will happen throughout the year maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

There will be a 'no deal' as you say. Whether the UK wants it or not that is going to be the result. But also the EU will start to break up in it's present form.

How do you think a no deal scenario between the UK and the EU which can't happen until the end of this year will lead to the break up of the EU in its present form this year or next year. What are you basing that on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

How do you think a no deal scenario between the UK and the EU which can't happen until the end of this year will lead to the break up of the EU in its present form this year or next year. What are you basing that on?

I presume he's guessing that the UK will be so wildly successful outside the EU that the rest of the countries will jump ship to the sunny uplands of WTO rules.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Are we seriously back to this?

main-qimg-495f704d001e2f8ef688127dac8dc50d

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

How utterly clueless do you have to be to not understand that being in the EU enhances Irish sovereignty? During the recent Brexit negotiations, if we hadn't been in the EU, we'd have been told by the British 'shut the **** up, Paddy' (metaphorically) and we'd be looking at a hard border back through the country.
    But also the EU will start to break up in it's present form.

501867.png

On the contrary. The utter mess Britain has gotten itself in will serve as a hard lesson in 21st Century geopolitics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭threeball

Serious delusions of how important the UK is to Europe. It was never a full participant as can been seen with them not adopting the Euro. The anti-EU sentiment has been shelved all over Europe including Italy. The UK is on its Tobler.

How utterly clueless do you have to be to not understand that being in the EU enhances Irish sovereignty? During the recent Brexit negotiations, if we hadn't been in the EU, we'd have been told by the British 'shut the **** up, Paddy' (metaphorically) and we'd be looking at a hard border back through the country.

501867.png

On the contrary. The utter mess Britain has gotten itself in will serve as a hard lesson in 21st Century geopolitics.

It doesnt matter whose mess it is or who is to blame.

You lot or should I say the Boards 'Anti's' seem to think all will be well in Euro land and 1+1=2 etc. But in reality we all know life aint like that.

If it was then everything in life would be easy but also very boring.

There must be as many anti EU people in the EU now as pro EU so we will see what happens as well as the outside forces who will also stick their oar in to help things along.

After all Leo thought it would be plain sailing. He even thought up to last weekend that all he had to do is shout EU great and British fools and the electorate would fall at his feet.

People want change and will do the strangest things.

threeball wrote: »
    Serious delusions of how important the UK is to Europe. It was never a full participant as can been seen with them not adopting the Euro. The anti-EU sentiment has been shelved all over Europe including Italy. The UK is on its Tobler.

Haven't mentioned the UK causing no deal in my post. I think severe paranoia has set in already.

There must be as many anti EU people in the EU now as pro EU so we will see what happens as well as the outside forces who will also stick their oar in to help things along.

Why must there be as many anti-EU now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

There must be as many anti EU people in the EU now as pro EU

You're wrong.
    so we will see what happens as well as the outside forces who will also stick their oar in to help things along.

501867.png

Why must there be as many anti-EU now?

Cus there is. Theres also lots in Ireland as well but they dont come on Boards.

Right...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

They don't vote for anti EU parties either.

First Up wrote: »
    They don't vote for anti EU parties either.

They do in europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

They do in europe.

You mean in the countries in the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭threeball

Haven't mentioned the UK causing no deal in my post. I think severe paranoia has set in already.

Your post isn't even relevant to what I posted. If you can't even read it how do you expect to make a coherent argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It doesnt matter whose mess it is or who is to blame.

You lot or should I say the Boards 'Anti's' seem to think all will be well in Euro land and 1+1=2 etc. But in reality we all know life aint like that.

If it was then everything in life would be easy but also very boring.

After all Leo thought it would be plain sailing. He even thought up to last weekend that all he had to do is shout EU great and British fools and the electorate would fall at his feet.

People want change and will do the strangest things.

Au contraire. In fact:

"62% of citizens believe that their countries' EU membership is a good thing, whilst over two-thirds of respondents (68 %) are convinced that their country has benefited from being a member of the EU. This is the highest score ever measured since 1983."

It really is too easy. If anyone was looking for names I could log em all in less than 5 minutes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

It really is too easy. If anyone was looking for names I could log em all in less than 5 minutes.:D

Just out of interest what condition do you think Irish roads and motorways would be in without the EU?? What do you think tourism, colleges etc. would look like??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Just out of interest what condition do you think Irish roads and motorways would be in without the EU?? What do you think tourism, colleges etc. would look like??

Ireland would be a backwater without the EU.

We'd be like Moldova or one of those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It's all been going downhill since the British departed and left us in our own muck really.
    But if we take the sage advice of this thread's little Brexit fanclub we can be out of the EU and back on the path to greatness arm in arm with the UK.
    Tune up God Save the Queen!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,269 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Tony EH wrote: »
    God Save the Queen

Thank you. All rise for the Brexit Anthem - There is no future in England's dreaming...No future for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Advertisement