Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Cus there is. Theres also lots in Ireland as well but they dont come on Boards.

The percentages in support of remaining in the EU from the most recent opinion polls taken in each EU member state on the issue of remaining in/leaving the EU:

Austria: 88%.
    Belgium: 84%
    Bulgaria: 83%

Croatia: 75%
    Cyprus: 76%
    Czech Republic: 85%

Denmark: 73%
    Estonia: 89%
    France: 68%

Finland: 75%
    Germany: 82%
    Greece: 75%

Hungary: 81%
    Ireland: 86%
    Italy: 71%

Latvia: 82%
    Lithuania: 89%
    Luxembourg: 94%

Malta: 85%
    Netherlands: 76%
    Poland: 85%

Portugal: 92%
    Romania: 89%
    Slovakia: 86%

Slovenia: 84%
    Spain: 85%
    Sweden: 73%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

The percentages in support of remaining in the EU from the most recent opinion polls taken in each EU member state on the issue of remaining in/leaving the EU:

Austria: 88%.
    Belgium: 84%
    Bulgaria: 83%

Croatia: 75%
    Cyprus: 76%
    Czech Republic: 85%

Denmark: 73%
    Estonia: 89%
    France: 68%

Finland: 75%
    Germany: 82%
    Greece: 75%

Hungary: 81%
    Ireland: 86%
    Italy: 71%

Latvia: 82%
    Lithuania: 89%
    Luxembourg: 94%

Malta: 85%
    Netherlands: 76%
    Poland: 85%

Portugal: 92%
    Romania: 89%
    Slovakia: 86%

Slovenia: 84%
    Spain: 85%
    Sweden: 73%

Rubbish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Rubbish.

And the basis for this scintillating assessment is?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

J Mysterio wrote: »

A comparison with America. It's quite similar if you look at the Republican / Democratic figures.

PSDT_05.08.19_diversity-03.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Still fighting the cause from the bedroom a chara?

Maith thú! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

YAWN!: 88%.

Mate your so wrapped up in your hate and trying to convince no one but yourselves that the UK is doomed and the EU is so glorious you fail to even read the posts.

You are convincing no one but yourselves and you ridicule yourselves.

You should really read what is posted before you embark on dubious facts and figure which persuade ......no one.

Mate your so wrapped up in your hate and trying to convince no one but yourselves that the UK is doomed and the EU is so glorious you fail to even read the posts.

You are convincing no one but yourselves and you ridicule yourselves.

You should really read what is posted before you embark on dubious facts and figure which persuade ......no one.

Well they are stats to counter your claim that there are as many anti EU people as there are pro. The only evidence that you have provided is that the anti EU people don't come onto this site, which given the various threads on Brexit and the irexit party, doesn't hold water.

As for hate for the U.K. that's your own little persecution complex, but it does seem to be a common factor with brexit supporters.

Mate your so wrapped up in your hate and blah blah fuking blah.

You said the below.

There must be as many anti EU people in the EU now as pro EU so we will see what happens as well as the outside forces who will also stick their oar in to help things along

When confronted with simple statistics, you are the one who resorts to hate. You are the wrapped up in and consumed by it. Not us. Ye're all singing the same "Anti-Brit" bollocks. This entire damned thing is about your anti-EU stuff that you are consumed with. It's what caused this entire shltshow.

But you accuse us of hate for providing simple facts to refute your wildly inaccurate statements. You used to be a decent poster but since Brexit day, you have gone so far of the rails, you're now easily the worst of the lot.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Well they are stats to counter your claim that there are as many anti EU people as there are pro. The only evidence that you have provided is that the anti EU people don't come onto this site, which given the various threads on Brexit and the irexit party, doesn't hold water.

As for hate for the U.K. that's your own little persecution complex, but it does seem to be a common factor with brexit supporters.

No my dear. If you go back to 755 you will see. Same names all the time. Like a little club set up to try any discredit, muddy the waters and spout spurious claims of the future of which nobody knows, especially them. If you were fish you wouldn't last but 5 seconds. On the hook every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

No my dear. If you go back to 755 you will see. Same names all the time. Like a little club set up to try any discredit, muddy the waters and spout spurious claims of the future of which nobody knows, especially them. If you were fish you wouldn't last but 5 seconds. On the hook every time.
    What are you on rabbling on about?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

KildareP wrote: »
    What are you on rabbling on about?! :confused:

Why bother?

Same 3 or 4 accounts spouting the same uninformed rubbish. They've no problem rubbishing any claim you out to them but they disappear when you ask for proof to backup any of their statements.

Well most on here so far has been able to provide articles and stats to backup their opinions, unlike yourself, crypto and kid.

Any evidence provided by the other two posters has often actually proven the exact opposite of what they claimed, and you have been caught out doing the same, remember your claims about not being able to legally buy metal detectors?

But the main overriding feature is for ye to make some sort of comment based on nothing, then disappear and pop back in a while later with more of the same, as regards hate, your the one whose prejudices is showing going on about how badly the Irish government treated the U.K. and how we don't have a clue etc.

Well most on here so far has been able to provide articles and stats to backup their opinions, unlike yourself, crypto and kid.

Any evidence provided by the other two posters has often actually proven the exact opposite of what they claimed, and you have been caught out doing the same, remember your claims about not being legally buy metal detectors?

But the main overriding feature is for ye to make some sort of comment based on nothing, then disappear and pop back in a while later with more of the same, as regards hate, your the one whose prejudices is showing going on about how badly the Irish government treated the U.K. and how we don't have a clue etc.

There you go again twisting things to suit and muddying the waters.

Minelab metal detectors I think it was? No one sells them in Ireland as far as I know. But they have some kind of manufacturing/sales/design thing here down south I think. Metal dectectors are a very grey area in the republic as you most likely know. The demand is huge but the probs of using them means most come from outside Ireland. I know.

I never said the Irish Gov badly treated the UK. They couldn't. They are a joke. What I actually said is two fools keep going on UK TV and slagging the people and their decision off. This doesn't go down well between two trading nations. And the reasons for doing such (looking tough) has come back to bite them with a vengeance as they are going to get given the boot.

Facts with facts on what people say instead of your twists and turns on claims of the future which nobody can predict.....especially you.

But you are on here talking of certain demise of one of the biggest economies in the world of which you know nothing about.

Really laughable.

There you go again twisting things to suit and muddying the waters.

Minelab metal detectors I think it was? No one sells them in Ireland as far as I know. But they have some kind of manufacturing/sales/design thing here down south I think. Metal dectectors are a very grey area in the republic as you most likely know. The demand is huge but the probs of using them means most come from outside Ireland. I know.

I never said the Irish Gov badly treated the UK. They couldn't. They are a joke. What I actually said is two fools keep going on UK TV and slagging the people and their decision off. This doesn't go down well between two trading nations. And the reasons for doing such (looking tough) has come back to bite them with a vengeance as they are going to get given the boot.

Facts with facts on what people say instead of your twists and turns on claims of the future which nobody can predict.....especially you.

But you are on here talking of certain demise of one of the biggest economies in the world of which you know nothing about.

Really laughable.

No twisting or muddying here, you or any one else haven't provided any evidence to back up your statements, and when called on it, ye just try to deflect.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112172778&postcount=612

"Why would the UK defend Ireland? After Brexit I doubt if they will ever control the waters and stop drugs reaching Ireland. Why should they? Old Leo and his pal sowed enough hate for a lifetime"

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112173513&postcount=617

"Ireland just played against the UK during Brexit. Why would the UK bother to help Ireland now unless it was in their own interest. But if Ireland needs protecting against something then surely it should be Ireland or it's EU that does that and they can't rely on the UK to help them anymore after what went on."

Plenty more like this in your post history, that anyone can search.

No twisting or muddying here, you or any one else haven't provided any evidence to back up your statements, and when called on it, ye just try to deflect.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112172778&postcount=612

"Why would the UK defend Ireland? After Brexit I doubt if they will ever control the waters and stop drugs reaching Ireland. Why should they? Old Leo and his pal sowed enough hate for a lifetime"

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112173513&postcount=617

"Ireland just played against the UK during Brexit. Why would the UK bother to help Ireland now unless it was in their own interest. But if Ireland needs protecting against something then surely it should be Ireland or it's EU that does that and they can't rely on the UK to help them anymore after what went on."

Plenty more like this in your post history, that anyone can search.

So what. I was just replying to what others posted regards Ireland not having the ability to defend its own waters and why would the UK help a pair of jokers who go on UK tv regularly and condemn the population for voting to leave.

What possible point are you trying to make now? You are talking gibberish and trying to say my post means something else.

I already have cleared your other claim of metal detecting. Something else you tried to twist as something else.

I will state again what I have always said here.

Your little gang are completely wrong about what is going to happen to the UK. The UK isn't going to disappear down a hole as you claim. You know nothing about the country or its capabilities. You appear to base your so called evidence of their demise on your own country. The two are completely different.

As regards being a Brexiteer. I never voted. I couldn't.

What I have said will happen ......is I expect it to go bad because other people have vested interests........and the UK will not go down a hole.......I also expect the EU to not be there in its present form.............and Germany isnt going to sacrifice anything for any tiny little country........they will crush you as they did 12 years ago as they did Greece.

If there was any evidence of you ever being correct, every business which could, would have long left the UK in the past 4 years. Very few have and others have even moved in.

So basically nobody agrees with your repeated rants of the UK's future.

Your crystal ball that you use to forecast the UK's demise is made of dodgy plastic.

My reference to 755 was that I was trying and succeeding the get the little club of UK demisers up and posting again by putting somethings you would instantly try and dismiss.........and I succeeded......The same names in the same club........all agreeing with each other.........all patting themselves on the back.........predictable...........throwing themselves on the hook when somebody dangles a worm over them.

You are convincing nobody but yourselves. But if it makes you feel better...........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

(...)

Your little gang are completely wrong about what is going to happen to the UK. The UK isn't going to disappear down a hole as you claim. You know nothing about the country or its capabilities. You appear to base your so called evidence of their demise on your own country. The two are completely different.

(..)
    The UK isn't going to "disappear down a hole", sure.

Instead, it is going to fade, very gradually, into ever less socio-economic relevance.

Many businesses haven't scaled back on their UK presence so far, playing the waiting game to see what form Brexit is actually going to take (what with the question of "will the UK actually Brexit at all?" having been finally answered only last week, after about 3 years). They have scaled back investments since 2016 however, and the offical stats are long collated and published - that alone has retrograded the UK in the G7 ranking already.

As Johnson appears intent on continuing to mushroom UK plc post-Brexit during the current transition period, and given the sustained rethoric to not extend it and to box the UK government further in in terms of negotiation outcomes, expect (still-) more businesses to enact their contingency plans by end December 2020.

Little trivia with high relevance in this last respect: as of this morning, over 500 UK City finservices providers have applied to the CSSF (Financial Regulator body) for equivalency permits in Luxembourg (for same status/access as eg US service providers). The figure was around half that last October or November IIRC.

That's distinct from all the City asset management providers and insurers who have already moved billions' worth of assets, offices and desk jockeys here in the past 2 years.

Now that's just tiny Luxembourg, I'm not conversant with Dublin, Frankfurt & Paris figures (which I'd expect to be higher, tbh: Lux is top-ranked for personal asset mgt, and increasingly insurance -thx Brexit- but not for much else).

All these City outfits are (well, were) a good chunk of the Exchequer's golden goose. They're not going back UK-side any time soon. Their loss to the UK balance sheet, entirely caused by the political (mis)management of the 2016 referendum to date, is Ireland's, Luxembourg's, Germany's, France's <etc. - not forgetting New York's & Shanghai's) gain.

Where is the UK going to make the tax income shortfall from, and how?

Because it's a bit hard to give the NHS an extra £350m per week, after you've shot the arse out of your tax base for political sh*ts and giggles.

ambro25 wrote: »
    The UK isn't going to "disappear down a hole", sure.

Instead, it is going to fade, very gradually, into ever less socio-economic relevance.

Many businesses haven't scaled back on their UK presence so far, playing the waiting game to see what form Brexit is actually going to take (what with the question of "will the UK actually Brexit at all?" having been finally answered only last week, after about 3 years). They have scaled back investments since 2016 however, and the offical stats are long collated and published - that alone has retrograded the UK in the G7 ranking already.

As Johnson appears intent on continuing to mushroom UK plc post-Brexit during the current transition period, and given the sustained rethoric to not extend it and to box the UK government further in in terms of negotiation outcomes, expect (still-) more businesses to enact their contingency plans by end December 2020.

Little trivia with high relevance in this last respect: as of this morning, over 500 UK City finservices providers have applied to the CSSF (Financial Regulator body) for equivalency permits in Luxembourg. That's distinct from all the City asset managing providers and insurers who have already moved billions' worth of assets, offices and desk jockeys here in the past 2 years.

Now that's just tiny Luxembourg, I'm not conversant with Dublin, Frankfurt & Paris figures.

They're (well, were) a good chunk of the Exchequer's golden goose. They're not going back UK-side any time soon. Their loss to the UK balance sheet, entirely caused by the political (mis)management of the 2016 referendum to date, is Ireland's, Luxembourg's, Germany's, France's <etc. - not forgetting New York's & Shanghai's) gain.

Where is the UK going to make the tax income shortfall from, and how?

Because it's a bit hard to give the NHS £350m per week, after you've shot the arse out of your tax base for political sh*ts and giggles.

And many businesses havent and in fact some have even increased there foot hold in the UK so your point there is irrelevent as I keep saying.

You keep banging on about the banking sector. All banking now except for a tiny percentage can be done anywhere because its all electronic. They could all be on the moon if they wanted and operate from there.

They put their offices in cities for two reasons.........to make money out of property and for tax reasons..........do you know why?.......because its all about money....duh!!!

The EU isnt going to stop those banks from trading within the EU because if they did then the UK would just stop their car industry and anything else.

You again are using that dodgy cheap pound shop crystal ball and its ****e mate.

Businesses are going in and out of the UK all the time.

The UK isnt like Ireland where they are on tendor hooks with keeping businesses here because they only came because of all the perks when they should have gone elsewhere.

you are correct about if Ireland voted out. Simply because there is no reason for anybody to open shop here except for the perks.

The two countries are light years apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

And many businesses havent and in fact some have even increased there foot hold in the UK so your point there is irrelevent as I keep saying.

You keep banging on about the banking sector. All banking now except for a tiny percentage can be done anywhere because its all electronic. They could all be on the moon if they wanted and operate from there.

They put their offices in cities for two reasons.........to make money out of property and for tax reasons..........do you know why?.......because its all about money....duh!!!

The EU isnt going to stop those banks from trading within the EU because if they did then the UK would just stop their car industry and anything else.

You again are using that dodgy cheap pound shop crystal ball and its ****e mate.

Businesses are going in and out of the UK all the time.

The UK isnt like Ireland where they are on tendor hooks with keeping businesses here because they only came because of all the perks when they should have gone elsewhere.

you are correct about if Ireland voted out. Simply because there is no reason for anybody to open shop here except for the perks.

The two countries are light years apart.
    Quite a feat there, mate: in a single post, you have demonstrated a rather comprehensive ignorance about financial services (the commercial variety), their importing and exporting between jurisdictions, and the regulation of same (import/export fin services) at national and supranational levels.

I'm deliberately glossing over the German car manufacturers to the rescue shtick, that's been done to death -by none other than them- and really we can't help it if even they themselves can't get through your and Michael Gove's superhuman levels of cognitive dissonance.

You haven't got the faintest clue about all this, really, have you?

I haven't mentioned Ireland voting out, btw, so you can stow that strawman right away.

I was lucky to live in Ireland for some years (post-Lisbon refs, pre-GFC), and it was abundantly clear then, that the average Irish was well-acquainted with the EU, its basic workings and the benefits of membership - a credit to your educational system and objective MSM (at least where the EU is concerned). Literally a 'day' there, contrasting with the 'night' that the UK educational system and MSM has embodied in the same time (lived there 20 years, kid in state primary+secondary 2008-2018, so I have a fair idea thanks).

It was also abundantly clear then, that Ireland was going to get a ma-hoo-ssive arse-slap and readjustment out of the impending GFC. What with changing the Merc every year for the new plate, out of unsustainably-stratospheric paper gains on 'burbian 2-ups 2-downs and all that. Same situation for the Greeks, only compounded 10 times worse, so you can stow that particular anti-EU rant as well.

Are you just here for the reactions?

ambro25 wrote: »
    Quite a feat there, mate: in a single post, you have demonstrated a rather comprehensive ignorance about financial services (the commercial variety), their importing and exporting between jurisdictions, and the regulation of same (import/export fin services) at national and supranational levels.

You haven't got the faintest clue about all this, really, have you?

I haven't mentioned Ireland voting out, btw, so you can stow that strawman right away.

I was lucky to live in Ireland for some years (post-Lisbon refs, pre-GFC), and it was abundantly clear then, that the average Irish was well-acquainted with the EU, its basic workings and the benefits of membership - a credit to your educational system and objective MSM (at least where the EU is concerned). Literally a 'day' there, contrasting with the 'night' that the UK educational system and MSM has embodied in the same time (lived there 20 years, kid in state primary+secondary 2008-2018, so I have a fair idea thanks). It was also abundantly clear then, that Ireland was going to get a ma-hoo-ssive arse-slap and readjustment out of the impending GFC.

Are you just here for the reactions?

Partly but more so waiting for you to be proved right in any of your claims.

You can attack me all you like and my appologise it was another fella on about Ireland.

But if it was anywhere near in the slightest degree as bad as what you say. Then alarm bells would have been ringing and never stopped.

The point is no business just ups sticks on a whim. And no country as diverse as the UK relies on one kind of business no matter how important.

Here's an example for a business generator...........The entire British transport system is going to be replaced very soon as it will be elsewhere. That money is huge. You are talking of 30+ million cars alone besides trucks and other commercials.

The money involved all over Europe is massive. And this is going to be done in a very short timescale.

So electronic banking is only one business which of course will be involved in this and other ventures.

But if one moves out then another moves in. We dont all throw ourselves off a cliff like lemmings because we had a bad day. Some like yourself did in the Wall street crash of the 1920's...... Raining men it was in them days..........but other things came along and Wall Street is still there banging along.

Perhaps its an age thing possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Boredstiff, what us your basis for your positions?

You say companies have invested, have you compared the lost investment against that gained and compared it to pre brexit?

Who are you getting your figures from?

Nobody has ever claimed UK will sink, then then it has already slipped from 5th to 7th. And why do you think it will forever stay as it is now? There would have been similar people to yourself in the last century telling everyone that UK would always because world empire, always have the best Navy etc.

Things change, and rather than look to strengthen their position the UK have decided to gamble on an unknown outcome.

Even Johnson admitted prior to the recent election that there was loads of pent up investment just waiting to be unleashed. So even on that one needs to agree that investment has been held back. Do you see that as a positive?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Boredstiff, what us your basis for your positions?

You say companies have invested, have you compared the lost investment against that gained and compared it to pre brexit?.....Business has come and gone invested and uninvested in the UK through recession and boom ever since I have been on the planet.

Who are you getting your figures from?.....I havent given any figures of anykind except the amount of cars on uk roads.

Nobody has ever claimed UK will sink, then then it has already slipped from 5th to 7th. And why do you think it will forever stay as it is now? There would have been similar people to yourself in the last century telling everyone that UK would always because world empire, always have the best Navy etc.......Oh yes they have.....go back and read over all the threads........regards the 'empire'.....nobody talks about the 'empire' except people outside the UK in an aim to belittle or blame them for something. When I was at school I wasnt even told about the 'empire'. We were told about famous people of that time. Some even Irish.

Things change, and rather than look to strengthen their position the UK have decided to gamble on an unknown outcome.......No they havent they just see that there is another 7 billion people out there who may want something that they can give them. Most of those people are interested in the UK as they do have a good name around the world other than the ****e name some try to give them and blame them for everything.

Even Johnson admitted prior to the recent election that there was loads of pent up investment just waiting to be unleashed. So even on that one needs to agree that investment has been held back. Do you see that as a positive?..........I have lived through at least 3 major recessions when there hadnt been anything like that since the 1930's.......It had been boom boom boom since the war.....the first recession was bad but they learnt from that and they know now how to take the knocks.......The EU is just a basket case in its present form and it holds everybody back so the UK wants out.

You are entering a time of big change again even the EU realise that. If you cant see what is happening then that is down to age and inexperience or your head is in the sand.......I would rather think it is the age and inexperience.

If you think everything revolves around the banking industry then you really should open your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

This statement alone proves you know sfa about the financial sector beyond your debit/credit card. London is big because it is a clearing house, and believe it or not trades mainly in EUR not GBP!

Not being able to clear EUR trades is a big deal and the clearing houses there have started to setup European Legal Entities for this in competing European cities to clear their EUR trades. This means movement away from the UK.

You don't need to move every person but the tax is paid where the money routes through. Even Jacob Rees Mogg moved his hedge fund to Dublin and listed Brexit as one of the reasons.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-jacob-rees-mogg-scm-ireland-city-move-eu-withdrawal-dublin-a8398041.html

If you are going to debate something at least have some clue behind it instead of taking the Sun and FB as the main news feed. I have no idea how Brexit will go, i assume there is a recession in the UK looming, but this defiant nonsense is up there with the Anti-Vaxxers.

I am confused about one thing. As the UK had so many vetos in Europe and a strong position, why haven't you ever blamed your MEP's?

PHG wrote: »
    This statement alone proves you know sfa about the financial sector beyond your debit/credit card. London is big because it is a clearing house, and believe it or not trades mainly in EUR not GBP!

Not being able to clear EUR trades is a big deal and the clearing houses there have started to setup European Legal Entities for this in competing European cities to clear their EUR trades. This means movement away from the UK.

You don't need to move every person but the tax is paid where the money routes through. Even Jacob Rees Mogg moved his hedge fund to Dublin and listed Brexit as one of the reasons.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-jacob-rees-mogg-scm-ireland-city-move-eu-withdrawal-dublin-a8398041.html

If you are going to debate something at least have some clue behind it instead of taking the Sun and FB as the main news feed. I have no idea how Brexit will go, i assume there is a recession in the UK looming, but this defiant nonsense is up there with the Anti-Vaxxers.

I am confused about one thing. As the UK had so many vetos in Europe and a strong position, why haven't you ever blamed your MEP's?

But you have just completely run over my point which I have made over and over again..............It is a time of change........there is another 7 billion people out there..........nothing stands still.

I have never mention what currency anything deals in. But outside the EU they do not use the euro.

It is not me who keeps bringing the bamking sector up as if it is the end of the uk if they do not keep the banking sector in London.....it is others.

I have never blamed anybody for anything except the two fools who go on tv to sour relations between the uk and Ireland (who are now history) so what have I got to blame the uk meps for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭joeguevara

But you have just completely run over my point which I have made over and over again..............It is a time of change........there is another 7 billion people out there..........nothing stands still.

I have never mention what currency anything deals in. But outside the EU they do not use the euro.

It is not me who keeps bringing the bamking sector up as if it is the end of the uk if they do not keep the banking sector in London.....it is others.

I have never blamed anybody for anything except the two fools who go on tv to sour relations between the uk and Ireland (who are now history) so what have I got to blame the uk meps for?

You keep mentioning at industry. Then say it’s an example but not one that is a reality. Then you mention car industry again. You keep failing to understand the realities of regulation. Mercedes and BMW will always be able to sell into the U.K. A UK Bank won’t be able to sell into the EU.

It’s apples and straight bananas discussion.

When you start discussing with clear examples of an argument instead of back tracking constantly maybe you will come across more plausibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

joeguevara wrote: »
    You keep mentioning at industry. Then say it’s an example but not one that is a reality. Then you mention car industry again. You keep failing to understand the realities of regulation. Mercedes and BMW will always be able to sell into the U.K. A UK Bank won’t be able to sell into the EU.

When you start discussing with clear examples of an argument instead of back tracking constantly maybe you will come across more plausibly.
    We've already been through the fact that most banks have finished setting up appropriate entities in both areas and are ready to continue business.

Do you have any more horror stories for us? The ones we're seeing here aren't convincing.

I still think it is incredibly unlikely that there won't be a trading arrangement ready that covers most trade on both sides by the end of the negotiations.

joeguevara wrote: »

Your twisted words again. I think I mentioned the german car industry once possibly twice. The uk can ban anybody selling into their country at any time whoever they are. Just as I imagine most other countries can.

So please when you keep having a pop at 'me'.....get you facts right on who has actually said what and in what context and in reply to what question.

Regards industry. Have you been asleep. The whole of europe and the uk are going to change their transport. I dont know what you call that but I would have thought that was industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

We've already been through the fact that most banks have finished setting up appropriate entities in both areas and are ready to continue business.

Those entities will need to be staffed and do meaningful work. The days of a brass plate are long gone.

So staff can move from the UK (families, houses, schools, language and all that) or the entities can recruit and train locally and redeploy or sack their UK staff.

I hope they are ready for all that too.

Your twisted words again. I think I mentioned the german car industry once possibly twice. The uk can ban anybody selling into their country at any time whoever they are. Just as I imagine most other countries can.

So please when you keep having a pop at 'me'.....get you facts right on who has actually said what and in what context and in reply to what question.

Regards industry. Have you been asleep. The whole of europe and the uk are going to change their transport. I dont know what you call that but I would have thought that was industry.

As an advocate of free trade I wouldn't be proposing banning any German cars. Similarly I wouldn't be expecting the EU to block access to essential financial markets.

It's worth calming down a wee bit sometimes instead of hopping up and down at every little bit about of rhetoric.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Those entities will need to be staffed and do meaningful work. The days of a brass plate are long gone.

So staff can move from the UK (families, houses, schools, language and all that) or the entities can recruit and train locally and redeploy or sack their UK staff.

I hope they are ready for all that too.

What counts as a reasonable number of staff?

UBS moved 200 staff to Frankfurt for example to cover post-Brexit functions. They have 6,000 at their offices in London. Barclays are moving 175 staff to Dublin. They have an entire tower in Canary Wharf and have a presence in Manchester and Glasgow also. Deutsche Bank are moving 250 to Frankfurt. There's 4,000 working for them in London.

Also most international investment banks already have headcount in the EU.

I presume they have better advice and lawyers than you do.

Advertisement