Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The MEPs are gone but the EU still pays their pensions. A big part of the "bill" is these future payments. Yes, trade embargoes and sanctions etc. would hurt the EU, but so would allowing the UK to disregard its debts to it without any sanctions.

MEPs are a tiny part of it. About 1,200 British nationals work across the EU institutions at any given time. The number receiving pensions must be in the tens of thousands by now.

Their pensions constitute part of the UK's commitment in the W/A. If the UK reneges on that, I guess the pension payments will stop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Annascaul wrote: »
    The UK pound is up a bit from last year, unemployment is low and the public finances of the UK are better now than they were in the financial crisis.

Eerily similar to the statistics coming out of the US ... and yet over there, much of that "low" unemployment is due to people working two and three jobs, desperately trying to make enough to pay their rent and buy food. Headline economic data has little relevance to the disposable income of Ordinary Joe.

I'm having trouble understanding what the point was in signing the Withdrawal Agreement. They pay the divorce bill, put NI in a weird place, all the while knowing that the chances of a deal with their demands are very low.

Surely the British public will be outraged if they crash out with No Deal after paying 33 billion.
    Outraged? No - not unless the tabloids tell them to be. I reckon the vast majority couldn't tell you how much the divorce bill was, and of those who could, I'm pretty sure many of them would think that it was fully paid up on the 31st of Jan, the day Brexit was done [let's never speak of it again]. Full disclosure: I have absolutely nothing but gut feeling on which to base that assertion. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Annascaul

Eerily similar to the statistics coming out of the US ... and yet over there, much of that "low" unemployment is due to people working two and three jobs, desperately trying to make enough to pay their rent and buy food. Headline economic data has little relevance to the disposable income of Ordinary Joe.

I read that once somewhere, that the British worker is ineffective in his work.

The same kind of work which the Brit complets in one working week, is completed on Thursday in France, and on Wednesday evening in Germany.

It's not that workers in the UK are lazy or anything, it's just the way work is done and completed, differs and takes more time than in other countries......

This would also explain why so many people are in employment in the UK, the demand for work is high due to the inefficiency of each and every employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The same kind of work which the Brit complets in one working week, is completed on Thursday in France, and on Wednesday evening in Germany.

It's not that workers in the UK are lazy or anything, it's just the way work is done and completed, differs and takes more time than in other countries......

This would also explain why so many people are in employment in the UK, the demand for work is high due to the inefficiency of each and every employee.

Unlike the Irish worker of course, read some rubbish on here but this beats it all.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Unlike the Irish worker of course, read some rubbish on here but this beats it all.

Naa...

Didn't you know there is a direct correlation between the BSE mad cow disease cases and where in the UK they voted in favour of Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

You know If I had said anything similar about Irish people , you lot on here would all have posted within 2 minutes and called me a racist as one man already did once.

Good job some of us still have a sense of humour.

Now remember when I was saying you lot are just Brit haters?

Wheres the Mods today. They are quick enough to issue me warnings when you lot complain about me. Perhaps Beasty's having a dump or something.:D

Naa...

Didn't you know there is a direct correlation between the BSE mad cow disease cases and where in the UK they voted in favour of Brexit.

Probably is. i ate enough of that ****e back then. Could explain a lot of things.

Now remember when I was saying you lot are just Brit haters?

Wheres the Mods today. They are quick enough to issue me warnings when you lot complain about me. Perhaps Beasty's having a dump or something.:D

I am not hating Brits at all. it's just that Brexit doesn't exactly bring out the finer qualities of the UK at this point....

Otherwise it's an interesting country. I've lived there myself for many years, travelled to all sorts of different places in the UK and wouldn't regret my time there.

I am not hating Brits at all. it's just that Brexit doesn't exactly bring out the finer qualities of the UK at this point....

Otherwise it's an interesting country. I've lived there myself for many years, travelled to all sorts of different places in the UK and wouldn't regret my time there.

Really. So what problem do you have with them voting for whatever they like? After all it is their democratic right in their own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You know If I had said anything similar about Irish people , you lot on here would all have posted within 2 minutes and called me a racist as one man already did once.

British labour productivity is relatively low, that is just fact. No point in pretending otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

British labour productivity is relatively low, that is just fact. No point in pretending otherwise.

Would love to see the studies/evidence for this claim.

Really. So what problem do you have with them voting for whatever they like? After all it is their democratic right in their own country.

For once Europe belongs together not apart. The EU has also brought peace to Northern Ireland. The EU is the biggest peace project for Europe.

The British people were lied and mislead about the economic impact of Brexit. Especially automotive manufacturing jobs depend on access to the single market.

Also remember that Adolf Hitler came to power by democratic vote. Brexit is certainly not even close to Naziism, however the methodology of the populism and misleading the public is frighteningly similar.

The Brexit campaign was especially about immigration, taking back control, and specifically against Polish workers in the UK. One seems to have forgotten that in the Battle of Britain there were Polish volunteers as well. While living in the UK I have gotten to known the Polish as mainly hard working labourers who would know how to do any job. And abusing the welfare system in the UK is also no real choice, as the Brexiteers always claimed. The welfare in the UK is not that great. Maybe Scandinavia is a better choice if one wants to live of welfare...

Same for this ridiculous claim.

Would love to see the studies/evidence for this claim.

No let them carry on. Some of them really can't help themselves. Its a bit like a shark when it smells blood. They go berserk with all sorts of claims.

The black and tans and all sorts will be mentioned before the end of the night. just wait.

For once Europe belongs together not apart. The EU has also brought peace to Northern Ireland. The EU is the biggest peace project for Europe.

The British people were lied and mislead about the economic impact of Brexit. Especially automotive manufacturing jobs depend on access to the single market.

Also remember that Adolf Hitler came to power by democratic vote. Brexit is certainly not even close to Naziism, however the methodology of the populism and misleading the public is frighteningly similar.

So why are Brits less intelligent than others that only they believed these lies you mention?

Nazism was nothing about populism. The Nazi's did actually do a lot for their own people when they got to power. Unless you were jewish of course.

No let them carry on. Some of them really can't help themselves. Its a bit like a shark when it smells blood. They go berserk with all sorts of claims.

The black and tans and all sorts will be mentioned before the end of the night. just wait.

They can either provide evidence or their posts can be reported. I'm all for honest debate and I have agreed with points on both the for & against side but those posts are just bitter and wrong.

I wonder how long I would last on here if I started saying the Irish were lazy.

One seems to have forgotten that in the Battle of Britain there were Polish volunteers as well. While living in the UK I have gotten to known the Polish as mainly hard working labourers who would know how to do any job. And abusing the welfare system in the UK is also no real choice, as the Brexiteers always claimed. The welfare in the UK is not that great. Maybe Scandinavia is a better choice if one wants to live of welfare...

Tis very true. I actually worked with some of those Polish hero's who were taken in as refugees as their country was overrun by the Germans. They couldnt go back after the war because of the Russians.

But voting about immigration is not racist. It is your democratic right to do so even in Ireland regardless of what a certain midget with multiple homes says.

They can either provide evidence or their posts can be reported. I'm all for honest debate and I have agreed with points on both the for & against side but those posts are just bitter and wrong.

I wonder how long I would last on here if I started saying the Irish were lazy.

No dont report them. I find it very entertaining how the Brits are to blame for everything wrong in Ireland. :D

But Annascaul you have missed the point..........if people dont want to work as hard as others. Thats up to them. Their elders fought for the right to be able to do that among other things.

Its not a goal in life to be a harder worker than the next man. You only have one life and nobody gets to live longer through being a grafter.

Clever people do not work hard. In fact you find clever people do less strenuous jobs etc.

So are you saying the Germans are thick halfwits?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No dont report them. I find it very entertaining how the Brits are to blame for everything wrong in Ireland. :D
    Well you do seem to find me at fault, so does that make you part of the problem?

But Annascaul you have missed the point..........if people dont want to work as hard as others. Thats up to them. Their elders fought for the right to be able to do that among other things.

Its not a goal in life to be a harder worker than the next man. You only have one life and nobody gets to live longer through being a grafter.

Clever people do not work hard. In fact you find clever people do less strenuous jobs etc.

So are you saying the Germans are thick halfwits?

I am not saying anything or implying anything here, unless explicitly stated. It's also not about clever people or dumb people, that's not up to me to judge.

In the end, one can work hard at something, but still be ineffective in the outcome of the work. That can depend on many things, slow machinery, less innovation, things that aren't even down the the factory worker or so.

Also, any kind of Brexit-debate is always an emotional one. The red lines are clearly drawn and the one choice is simply not suitable for the other individual. It's like capitalism vs. communism back in the days.

If not successful the Brits will be back in the EU, or try to reapply at some point. It might take time, though and Boris will be in the way as long as he has a comfortable majority....

Beasty wrote: »
    Well you do seem to find me at fault, so does that make you part of the problem?

I dont find you at fault Beasty. But I do wonder how you jump on me for really trivial things but let other stuff by others pass. Or are you just an anti?

Its ok if you are. i do believe in free speech what ever it is. I just wish everyone thought like me.

I am not saying anything or implying anything here, unless explicitly stated. It's also not about clever people or dumb people, that's not up to me to judge.

In the end, one can work hard at something, but still be ineffective in the outcome of the work. That can depend on many things, slow machinery, less innovation, things that aren't even down the the factory worker or so.

Also, any kind of Brexit-debate is always an emotional one. The red lines are clearly drawn and the one choice is simply not suitable for the other individual. It's like capitalism vs. communism back in the days.

If not successful the Brits will be back in the EU, or try to reapply at some point. It might take time, though and Boris will be in the way as long as he has a comfortable majority....

No come on. You deliberatly went out of your way to say the Brits are lazy. You didnt say the Germans are great workers in your post on same. Just that the Brits are not as good as others. that was your point and you made it.

Regards going back to the EU. Just shows how much you know British people. They will never vote to rejoin the EU ever.

I dont find you at fault Beasty. But I do wonder how you jump on me for really trivial things but let other stuff by others pass. Or are you just an anti?

Its ok if you are. i do believe in free speech what ever it is. I just wish everyone thought like me.

Fairly sure Beasty is English, or always assumed he was from his posts in other threads.

You also got called on your French and Germans hating the brits post by another English poster earlier.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Fairly sure Beasty is English, or always assumed he was from his posts in other threads.

You also got called on your French and Germans hating the brits post by another English poster earlier.

No I didnt. I had actually singled out part of a post and replied to that item made. But of course nobody reads that do they. They just pick out what I put as if it was a stand alone post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

So why are Brits less intelligent than others that only they believed these lies you mention?

Nazism was nothing about populism. The Nazi's did actually do a lot for their own people when they got to power. Unless you were jewish of course.

Or if you opposed them in any way, or if you had a disability, or if you were a Gypsy, or if Hitler felt you might be a threat, or if, in the last stages of the war, you didn't fight to save the Nazi regime...

As for the doing a lot bit...

Berlin before the Nazis took power:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FyvG6TqS9hSQ%2Fhqdefault.jpg

Berlin after 12 years of Nazi rule:

?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F_8f2HVh3MkxY%2FS3r-OoKsGpI%2FAAAAAAAAAc0%2FmjkUOfTn-9M%2Fs400%2Fberlin1945.jpg

DubInMeath wrote: »

Beasty has only Bollocked me for posting against the poster. Not for posting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

No come on. You deliberatly went out of your way to say the Brits are lazy. You didnt say the Germans are great workers in your post on same. Just that the Brits are not as good as others. that was your point and you made it.

Regards going back to the EU. Just shows how much you know British people. They will never vote to rejoin the EU ever.

I'm pretty sure that a majority of people in Scotland and London would.

I suppose they're not 'true Brits' though...

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure that a majority of people in Scotland and London would.

I suppose they're not 'true Brits' though...

Well you dont know what I am or where my family come from do you? ;)

Advertisement