Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Seriously? You know that that 8m is made up of students, disabled, sick, carers etc.

So more costs on employers and the government are going to pitch in? IS that going to come from the promised NHS budget?

how many students, disabled, sick and carers do you think are in that 8 million ?

what is it you want, all theyre doing is putting people who can work and don't into training and not allowing unskilled migrants in , its nowhere near the 'anti poor racist tyrade' you make it out to be.

if you think a skills wall is racist then it says more about what you think of migrants than the british government.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

how many students, disabled, sick and carers do you think are in that 8 million ?

what is it you want, all theyre doing is putting people who can work and don't into training and not allowing unskilled migrants in , its nowhere near the 'anti poor racist tyrade' you make it out to be.

if you think a skills wall is racist then it says more about what you think of migrants than the british government.

I want you to actually have something other than a headline to base your opinion.

I never mentioned the word racist. Why did you bring it up?

It a poor attempt to move the conversation away from your inability to actually provide any backup to your position by trying to turn the debate into a snowflake contest.

Why do you think this policy, as it was stated today, is a good thing? All the evidence says that immigration is a net positive to a country, particularly the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

since when.... unskilled migrants are net detractors from economies.

It depends on where they come from. Unskilled EU migrants are/were net contributors, but they've been told to feck off back to the Continent so that the UK can import more unskilled migrants from outside the EU - the ones that cost the UK more.

Only now it seems that they're not welcome either, and the UK wants to try to bully businesses into taking on the type of worker who has a proven track record of not wanting - or not being able - to do the kind of work that's on offer.

I want you to actually have something other than a headline to base your opinion.

I never mentioned the word racist. Why did you bring it up?

It a poor attempt to move the conversation away from your inability to actually provide any backup to your position by trying to turn the debate into a snowflake contest.

Why do you think this policy, as it was stated today, is a good thing? All the evidence says that immigration is a net positive to a country, particularly the UK.

what evidence, this evidence is never presented. And i don't mean a morning star / guardian article or a figure that lumps in EU and non EU migrants together, I know britain isnt in the EU but when you take the eastern europeans out of migration labour stats they very very quickly fall into the 'detractor' side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Name calling isn't a substitute for an argument however.

Neither is misrepresenting posts.
    The funding model for care going forward is the can that is kicked down the road. Again and again and again. I agree it needs to be dealt with irrespective of its unpopularity.

But it won't and this will make it both harder and more expensive.
    If the government's plans go through firms like it are going to have to become better at training British workers. In the original article Patel claims that there are 8 million economically inactive people between 16 and 64. I'd be interested to know the source of that, but if true there's definitely workers to be used.

I agree broadly speaking that post-Brexit it should not be easier to hire someone outside of Britain than someone in the country. Companies wishing to participate in the British economy should be willing to hire and train British workers.

The UK government's apprenticeship programme is brilliant from what I have seen of it. If your salary bill is over £3mn you need to either spend 0.5% of your salary bill on an apprenticeship programme. It means that the big companies are also playing a part and providing a different pathway into work.

There's much more that can be done here.

British workers evidently do not want various jobs that many immigrants take. You can increase salaries to offset this but this means passing the expense onto the consumer. There's only so much people will be willing to pay for their Pret lattes.

Regarding the 8 million:

https://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/1230083882931847169?s=20

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

what evidence, this evidence is never presented.

Loads of it was presented in the earlier Brexit threads (real facts and figures). If you can't be bothered to look for it there, neither can I ... :p

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/unemployment/bulletins/youngpeoplenotineducationemploymentortrainingneet/february2019
    There were 788,000 young people (aged 16 to 24 years) in the UK who were not in education, employment or training (NEET); this number increased by 31,000 from July to September 2018 but was down 5,000 when compared with October to December 2017.
    The percentage of all young people in the UK who were NEET was 11.3%; the proportion was up 0.5 percentage points from July to September 2018 and up 0.1 percentage points from October to December 2017.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/economicinactivity/datasets/economicinactivitybyreasonseasonallyadjustedinac01sa

22% of economically impacted people want a job
    77% of economically active do not want to work
    also as a note the economic inactivity rate only includes the unemployed if they admit they don't want to work and students also counts those on jobcentre courses required to maintain your benefits...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/articles/ukandnonukpeopleinthelabourmarket/february2020

503311.jpeg
    503312.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Neither is misrepresenting posts.

But it won't and this will make it both harder and more expensive.

British workers evidently do not want various jobs that many immigrants take. You can increase salaries to offset this but this means passing the expense onto the consumer. There's only so much people will be willing to pay for their Pret lattes.

Regarding the 8 million:

https://twitter.com/BBCNormanS/status/1230083882931847169?s=20

You do realise that there is a Britain outside of London?

Yes Pret will have to train British workers first in the same way that other firms like Greggs don't seem to have much difficulty with.

Another downside of freedom of movement is that it has made employers lazy about recruitment because it meant that you could take EU workers first rather than making the effort to train domestic staff first.

I'm actually slightly softer on this issue than Patel, I think there probably should be a visa for low skilled workers, but recruitment efforts should start with domestic staff. This is similar to migration approaches in other countries outside of the EU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You do realise that there is a Britain outside of London?

You do realise that I never said Britain's borders were coterminous with those of London?
    Yes Pret will have to train British workers first in the same way that other firms like Greggs don't seem to have much difficulty with.

Another downside of freedom of movement is that it has made employers lazy about recruitment because it meant that you could take EU workers first rather than making the effort to train domestic staff first.

I'm actually slightly softer on this issue than Patel, I think there probably should be a visa for low skilled workers, but recruitment efforts should start with domestic staff. This is similar to migration approaches in other countries outside of the EU.

You've dodged my point. Do British workers want to be carers and baristas?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

You do realise that I never said Britain's borders were coterminous with those of London?

Low end jobs are not about what you want to do, its about your duty to do a job to sustain yourself and your family, choosing to work is not an option you get to make unless you can support yourself with other money not from the state safety net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

what evidence, this evidence is never presented. And i don't mean a morning star / guardian article or a figure that lumps in EU and non EU migrants together, I know britain isnt in the EU but when you take the eastern europeans out of migration labour stats they very very quickly fall into the 'detractor' side.

The UK's Migration Advisory Committee has produced lots of evidence. Have a look at it.

When you are talking about Pret lattes you give that impression. Apologies.

Plenty do and plenty are actually. The first opportunity for more in a post-Brexit environment should be given to them first also like how it is in other non-EU countries.

First Up wrote: »
    The UK's Migration Advisory Committee has produced lots of evidence. Have a look at it.

if you look above youll see ive posted a load from the office of national statistics and it doesnt look good for non EU immigrants...

When you are talking about Pret lattes you give that impression. Apologies.

It was just an example, nothing more.
    Plenty do and plenty are actually. The first opportunity for more in a post-Brexit environment should be given to them first also like how it is in other non-EU countries.

Do they? One would expect to see more of them if this were the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Lets see how Johnson will get all the people on the dole into low skilled employment ....

Give it a couple of months ...Then the whinge starts that all the good jobs are taken up by educated foreigners

It was just an example, nothing more.

Do they? One would expect to see more of them if this were the case.

We must be living in different parallel worlds if you think there's somehow a lack of British people working in the caring profession.

It might be information to you to know that there aren't a lot of Pret stores outside of London.

Now - more seriously. Will it be an adjustment from moving from the presumption of taking EU labour without question? Yes. Will this be a bad thing? Probably not if it is done correctly. I think having no unskilled visa at all is probably a bit too strong though.

if you look above youll see ive posted a load from the office of national statistics and it doesnt look good for non EU immigrants...

Which the UK had full control over and Brexit was never needed to control it.

The statistics show that EU immigration was a positive, so why go to all this trouble to deal with a problem that doesn't even exist.

Which the UK had full control over and Brexit was never needed to control it.

The statistics show that EU immigration was a positive, so why go to all this trouble to deal with a problem that doesn't even exist.

slow down those goalposts, almost took my arm off they moved so fast.

could britain have done this exact policy while in the EU ?

Because somehow they had a deluded idea that they needed their country back

Question should be if it was needed RE eu migration

• Advertisement

It's worth pointing out that EU migration is different to non-EU migration also.

Leroy42 knows that all non-EU visas are time limited and salary bounded. There is no unskilled visa for non-EU immigration. There is a salary cap at £30k which will be reduced to £25k.

This means that non-EU citizens tend to go home after their visas run out if they are not needed to stay on in the UK after finishing. The same is not true of EU migration which is unconditional on salary and not time bounded.

No. There was no need to. Just as they don't need to do it now. And they could have done more to deal with EU immigration as well, Belgium only allow 3 months without a job for instance.

weisses wrote: »
    Question should be if it was needed RE eu migration

I dont think anyone has ever had an issue with genuine EU migrants. Brexit and this policy are about establishing a skills wall to keep out the hoards of non eu migrants and transient migrants who have EU asylum.

to clarify I think brexit was a dumb idea mis sold to the people, but this immigration policy being adopted by the whole EU could have tipped the balance of that vote back, theres no doubt that inaction on problematic non eu immigration played a significant role on brexit.

I dont think anyone has ever had an issue with genuine EU migrants. Brexit and this policy are about establishing a skills wall to keep out the hoards of non eu migrants and transient migrants who have EU asylum.

Tell that to the British

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/eu-nationals-feeling-unwelcome-in-the-uk/

well then thats another bad decision by them but sure that immigration policy should improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Unless they have an EU passport they were always subject to UK immigration controls, same as non - EU immigrants were - and are.

to clarify I think brexit was a dumb idea mis sold to the people, but this immigration policy being adopted by the whole EU could have tipped the balance of that vote back, theres no doubt that inaction on problematic non eu immigration played a significant role on brexit.

It was a cluster**** .... to put it mildly

It was a cluster**** .... to put it mildly

and if they pull it off youll have a few other countries repeating it to try avoid the scourge of non EU migrants flooding countries.

well then thats another bad decision by them but sure that immigration policy should improve things.

If you get people on the dole who are able to work off their lazy arses

• Advertisement

If you get people on the dole who are able to work off their lazy arses

thats part of the governments plan,

step 1 : stop importing more people who do nothing
    step 2 : get your current do nothings to do something.

Advertisement