Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The EU are demanding EU countries cough up another .08% of GDP on top of what they pay to finance their climate plan.

No wonder Macron got in their first to secure his farmers cash. Well being as you lot say..... 'we EU nations all sit around the smiley table and agree everything in fluffy happiness'......then I imagine old Phil Hogan agreed to Macrons bank raid? How much did Ireland secure when this was going on?

Anyway I am not good at maths but at a wild guess .08% of GDP for Ireland is an extra 300 million euro??? that we may have to cough up for Germanys pollution and greenhouse gases?

Make the EU the EEC again..... this project has gone off the rails.

The British public wouldn't want to be a part of it so what's the point.

The British public wouldn't want to be a part of it so what's the point.

Are you saying that because the EU needs britain or something else im not picking up on.... The EEC model could work again and not penalise us all financially for their flim flam whims about spending our money.

Are you saying that because the EU needs britain or something else im not picking up on.... The EEC model could work again and not penalise us all financially for their flim flam whims about spending our money.

I'm saying it would only be done to please a small minority of EU citizens, and the UK, and the UK wouldn't even go for it because that would be an agreement with European countries regarding standards and stuff.

As for the EU's spending of money, believe whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,556 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Because they have a climate plan?????

• Advertisement

Because they have a climate plan?????

because they insist on increased spending, constantly...

We need to reign in EU spending and oversight back to EEC levels, dismantle PESCO (yes yes im aware our neutrality is not in question) and return the model to one about trade and the free movement of EU citizens.

We need to reign in EU spending and oversight back to EEC levels, dismantle PESCO (yes yes im aware our neutrality is not in question) and return the model to one about trade and the free movement of EU citizens.

What aspects of EU spending do you have a problem with?

What aspects of EU spending do you have a problem with?

1.2.4 Fund for European Aid to the Most Deprived 353.5 Million
    2.0.4 Programme for the Environment and Climate Action (Life) 317.1 Million
    3.0.1 Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund 737.9 Million
    3.0.5 Rights, Equality and Citizenship programme 73.4 Million
    5 ADMINISTRATION 9,943.5 Million

1.2.4 Fund for European Aid to the Most Deprived 353.5 Million
    2.0.4 Programme for the Environment and Climate Action (Life) 317.1 Million
    3.0.1 Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund 737.9 Million
    3.0.5 Rights, Equality and Citizenship programme 73.4 Million
    5 ADMINISTRATION 9,943.5 Million

The cost of moving that administration back to Ireland would outstrip our contributions to the other things you listed. The EU administration spend is actually good value because you have 27 countries pooling resources for one of them instead of each having to duplicate them.

The cost of moving that administration back to Ireland would outstrip our contributions to the other things you listed. The EU administration spend is actually good value because you have 27 countries pooling resources for one of them instead of each having to duplicate them.

6.3% of intake being the administration cost is shockingly high, and thats only distributions to governments which are then further expensed by local admin, absolutely no mention of moving it here, don't know where you got that idea. not looking for 0 here, but half of it would be ideal.

The funds greece receive are insane for a country thats been in the EU so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Did you ever answer my question about what the UK will be able to do better about non EU immigration from outside the EU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Your wasting your time Eric. These lot hate today's news because they said in EU fluffy happy land this thing never happens.

Truth is Macrons run off with the silver and Ireland has got to dig deep in their pockets to pay for Germany's pollution.

But these lot will find any excuse to muddy the waters or blame it on Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

PeadarCo wrote: »
    I do find it amazing that you still don't understand/ignore the purpose of the backstop. The backstop was always last resort the hint is in the name. The minute the UK came up with something better it was always going to reopened. Which is exactly what happened.

May for all her faults actually valued the integrity of the UK while all Johnson cares about is England which is only one part of the UK. Johnson caved in on the EUs demand which means part of the UK will remain in the EU for customs purposes.

seems you have it all rewritten...in your head

6.3% of intake being the administration cost is shockingly high, and thats only distributions to governments which are then further expensed by local admin, absolutely no mention of moving it here, don't know where you got that idea. not looking for 0 here, but half of it would be ideal.

The funds greece receive are insane for a country thats been in the EU so long.

6.3% is not shockingly high.. The EU is coordinating programs and spending over 27 countries. It has 55k people. Ireland's civil service has 37k. Hardly that excessive.

There are more than 40 EU agencies whose work we benefit from for a fraction of the cost to run them. If we dismantle the EU, that work has to be done in Ireland, or not done at all.

It's absurd to wish to return to the EEC simply because of budget. It's not like money just gets burnt. It's paid to people in EU countries and that money circulates economies. I hope you have better reasons because administration costs or Greece aren't good ones.

First Up wrote: »
    Did you ever answer my question about what the UK will be able to do better about non EU immigration from outside the EU?

With no EU court of human rights to answer to, hopefully make conditions so awful for illegal migrants that they dont want to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

My passport has till 2026 to run but i may get a blue one anyway now. class.

Your wasting your time Eric. These lot hate today's news because they said in EU fluffy happy land this thing never happens.

Truth is Macrons run off with the silver and Ireland has got to dig deep in their pockets to pay for Germany's pollution.

But these lot will find any excuse to muddy the waters or blame it on Brexit.

Ireland's per capita CO2 emissions are only 15% lower than Germany's. We're the ninth worst in Europe.

With no EU court of human rights to answer to, hopefully make conditions so awful for illegal migrants that they dont want to come in.

Not just make them bad, but make them so bad that they'd be taken to a court of human rights. Hopefully.

Classy post, Eric. Give us some examples of what human rights you'd like the UK to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2020/0221/1116657-brussels-budget/

The truth is landing now. But I see Macron got there first and secured billions for France.

Wasn't someone slagging off Thatcher a few days ago for securing money back?

Do as your told Leo/Mary! Just the beginning.
    The EU are demanding EU countries cough up another .08% of GDP on top of what they pay to finance their climate plan.

No wonder Macron got in their first to secure his farmers cash. Well being as you lot say..... 'we EU nations all sit around the smiley table and agree everything in fluffy happiness'......then I imagine old Phil Hogan agreed to Macrons bank raid? How much did Ireland secure when this was going on?

Anyway I am not good at maths but at a wild guess .08% of GDP for Ireland is an extra 300 million euro??? that we may have to cough up for Germanys pollution and greenhouse gases?

You don't seem to be great at English either - exhibit A: your own link above specifically states summit ends with no agreement ... and then you go off on another wild ride (Merkel yesterday, Macron today), trying to make out that Ireland has somehow been shafted by the very notion of another country contributing its point-of-view to a discussion between 27 different parties.

Macron hasn't raided anyone's bank account or run off with anyone's silver, and if you read even just a little outside your bubble, you'd have seen that the French and the Irish were/are on the same side of the "farmer" argument in this latest discussion. But nothing has been decided, and the EU members still have ten months left to figure out how to balance the books.

On the contrary, dear boy. If you'd been paying attention, you'd have seen that "these lot" have frequently pointed out that this is exactly why the EU can run rings around the Tories: we're well used to having a good old argument over fine details like who gets what in return for how much and under what conditions, and that taking a bit here means giving a bit there. And at the end of the day, everyone's got a fair deal and goes home happy. That's the bit the British could never understand.

• Advertisement

Ireland's per capita CO2 emissions are only 15% lower than Germany's. We're the ninth worst in Europe.

Maybe now but take the last 50 years since we have been in the EU (almost) and measure that....joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I see.

You don't seem to be great at English either - exhibit A: your own link above specifically states summit ends with no agreement ... and then you go off on another wild ride (Merkel yesterday, Macron today), trying to make out that Ireland has somehow been shafted by the very notion of another country contributing its point-of-view to a discussion between 27 different parties.

Macron hasn't raided anyone's bank account or run off with anyone's silver, and if you read even just a little outside your bubble, you'd have seen that the French and the Irish were/are on the same side of the "farmer" argument in this latest discussion. But nothing has been decided, and the EU members still have ten months left to figure out how to balance the books.

Yeah we all know in fluffy happy EU land Ireland hasnt a chance and will have to do as its told.

What was the figure Macron has secured again? Then tell us what Ireland has secured.

Without agreement but Ireland will tow the line as always.

On the contrary, dear boy. If you'd been paying attention, you'd have seen that "these lot" have frequently pointed out that this is exactly why the EU can run rings around the Tories: we're well used to having a good old argument over fine details like who gets what in return for how much and under what conditions, and that taking a bit here means giving a bit there. And at the end of the day, everyone's got a fair deal and goes home happy. That's the bit the British could never understand.

Well if todays an example I must say your measure of success is like the bottom of a division team winning their last match but still getting relegated and claiming it was a great day.

Yeah we all know in fluffy happy EU land Ireland hasnt a chance and will have to do as its told.

What was the figure Macron has secured again? Then tell us what Ireland has secured.

Without agreement but Ireland will tow the line as always.

its like a bigger kid dealing with a bully for you and expecting you to do stuff for him, Britain left, theres a financial shortfall and shockingly its "ahh cmon ireland, remember we helped you, theres no border is there, time to pony up"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,556 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Do you believe climate change is a real thing/risk?

Most people do. Some people don't. Perhaps you are one of the latter?

I think there is a problem but possibly too late.

But I fail to see how or why a country which has contributed so little to the problem should share the cost of those who have...........just so they can carry on and not have their economy affected.

yes I believe in climate change, youre not going to write me off with that.

I believe some EU countries need to do more internally in a policy manor , but I believe it needs to be done with a carrot approach and no more money should be paid to the EU and no new taxes levied on the public. As a body, the EU is miles ahead of asia, south america and africa on doing its part for climate change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Free movement is also flawed. I think it should remain generous but it should be time bound and based on economic needs rather than entry without conditions.

I'm not convinced it is good for the sending member states either.

I think the UK Government position is a good start even if I think it could be loosened in areas. A visa scheme for low skilled workers could also be a good thing if it is controlled well.

• Advertisement

What was the figure Macron has secured again?
    Zippity-zip, nada, nothing. A big fat zero.
    Then tell us what Ireland has secured.
    Zippity-zip, nada, nothing. A big fat zero.

Spot the difference?

If you have information that suggests Macron has "secured" anything from anyone, it might be a good idea to share a (factually reliable) link, otherwise we risk a repeat of your "immigrants get 500€ a month in Germany" misunderstanding.

Advertisement