Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

Leroy42 wrote: »
    This morning the former head of Public Health England defended the scheme.

Paul Cosford, now its PHE's emeritus medical director, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: 'The EWRS, it's an early warning system, is a mechanism for communicating between countries in the EU but it's also also used with countries outside the EU...

'We are still part of that at this stage. And we do find it useful.'

what meeting though, that is a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Aegir wrote: »
    what meeting though, that is a system.

Apologies it is a system, although I would imagine it involves meetings.

What is your point in making such a distinction?

The UK have refused to be involved, although Switzerland are despite not being in the EU.

So my point stands. The UK are more focused on being seen to outside the EU than their own peoples health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Boris' inaction on Covid is all the more surprising when you consider it's the Brexit-supporting gammon that are most at risk.

Apologies it is a system, although I would imagine it involves meetings.

What is your point in making such a distinction?

The UK have refused to be involved, although Switzerland are despite not being in the EU.

So my point stands. The UK are more focused on being seen to outside the EU than their own peoples health.

It clearly states that they are still involved, so what is your point?

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    It clearly states that they are still involved, so what is your point?

Still involved but taking them out. In the middle of a pandemic they are focused on getting out.

Do you think that makes sense when they should be focused on health. But being seen to be leaving is more important

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Still involved but taking them out. In the middle of a pandemic they are focused on getting out.

Do you think that makes sense when they should be focused on health. But being seen to be leaving is more important

I can`t see how the UK can possibly hope to continue with brexit at the timescale they wanted-a mutually agreed extension is the best option imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

davedanon wrote: »
    Boris' inaction on Covid is all the more surprising when you consider it's the Brexit-supporting gammon that are most at risk.

He'll blame it on the un-patriotic wanting to even the numbers before another Brexit vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I can`t see how the UK can possibly hope to continue with brexit at the timescale they wanted-a mutually agreed extension is the best option imo.

I think Boris wants the cliff-edge exit, their finances are in tatters anyway after this, so big whoop about Brexit.

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/status/1241632642581303296/photo/1

Dominic Cummings: "develop herd immunity, protect the economy, if some pensioners die, too bad."

What. I. Said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There are reports that the reason Johnson finally told the pubs and restaurants to close was that Macron phoned him and ordered the UK to get their shit together pronto or France would close it's borders to UK

"Taking back control"

davedanon wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/status/1241632642581303296/photo/1

Dominic Cummings: "develop herd immunity, protect the economy, if some pensioners die, too bad."

What. I. Said.

But sure they are only the poor plebs that will die. Who among the great and powerful in good old Blightly would care?

And sure the self-same plebs should be delighted to sacrifice themselves and their parents and grandparents for the financial benefit of their "betters"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,545 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But sure they are only the poor plebs that will die. Who among the great and powerful in good old Blightly would care?

And sure the self-same plebs should be delighted to sacrifice themselves and their parents and grandparents for the financial benefit of their "betters"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's not that. It's just that Cummings is a sociopath.

:rolleyes:

That's the post of a person who doesn't actually have a point to make. lol

It's the "Charge of the Light Brigade" for the modern era. Both the Brexit and the "herd immunity" crap

• Registered Users Posts: 25,545 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That's the post of a person who doesn't actually have a point to make. lol

It's the "Charge of the Light Brigade" for the modern era. Both the Brexit and the "herd immunity" crap

No, it's the post of someone who can see through your BS for what it is ;)

No, it's the post of someone who can see through your BS for what it is ;)

Ha. You can make your own choice on whom to blindly follow or not.

If ya wanna sit on that horse and charge down the heavy gun at the orders of your Eton-educated betters then work away.

Go and expose yourself and contribute to herd immunity if ya want. As I posted earlier, you won't see Johnson exposing himself or his family to it. He was happy for your family to be exposed to it though............

Same as the way Brexit will affect the man on the street but won't negatively affect those upper-class betters

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It's not that. It's just that Cummings is a sociopath.

Yeah, I agree. Those looking for some conspiracy that behind all this is a plan to kill off the poor and help the rich are trying to make up an complex explanation when a far simplier one is far more likely.

It is a mixture of arrogance, incompetence, lack of empathy. But mostly, IMO, arrogance. They were more than happy to go against the usual course, not because they firmly believed either way was the right way, but they think that everyone else is wrong and they must be right if they are thinking something different.

Yeah, I agree. Those looking for some conspiracy that behind all this is a plan to kill off the poor and help the rich are trying to make up an complex explanation when a far simplier one is far more likely.

It is a mixture of arrogance, incompetence, lack of empathy. But mostly, IMO, arrogance. They were more than happy to go against the usual course, not because they firmly believed either way was the right way, but they think that everyone else is wrong and they must be right if they are thinking something different.

I'm not sure where you are getting "plan" from......it's just that they don't care that more poor or vulnerable people will die if they take the option that will cost them least expense personally.

Ha. You can make your own choice on whom to blindly follow or not.

If ya wanna sit on that horse and charge down the heavy gun at the orders of your Eton-educated betters then work away.

Go and expose yourself and contribute to herd immunity if ya want. As I posted earlier, you won't see Johnson exposing himself or his family to it. He was happy for your family to be exposed to it though............

I don't think he is happy at all. Do you really believe that this is something that Johnson wants? All evidence would suggest that Johnson is more interested in the trappings of power rather than the actual job itself.

He wants to be the fun guy, the guy that makes everyone feel better. He doesn't want to be the guy shutting down pubs and parks and counting the dead.

But he is far out of his depth. He is, as Iain Dunt stated, an after dinner speaker suddenly cast into the role of the head of the organisation. He usual shtick of hum, hahs, tossle hair, quick joke etc doesn't work when telling people about social distancing, not being able to visit the mammy, massive hit to the economy and potential overrun of the NHS.

He couldn't bring himself to do that so he opted for what he always does, thrown out some lines to make people feel better in the hope that something will come along to save him. But that didn't happen this time and he was forced to accept the reality.

His problem, the UK problem, is that it is hard to shake a perception that has been steadily built up over many years. That Johnson is a lier and a joker and what he says should never be taken too literally.

You can't simply turn that around with a few press conferences.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure where you are getting "plan" from......it's just that they don't care that more poor or vulnerable people will die if they take the option that will cost them least expense personally.

And where are you getting that from? I mean it is quite a position to take that Johnson is actually fine with people, his own countrymen, dying.

And where are you getting that from? I mean it is quite a position to take that Johnson is actually fine with people, his own countrymen, dying.

About 10 posts back. A quote from Mr Cummings, Boris' advisor

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112912162&postcount=2141

You might say that "at least Boris didn't say that", but how long did he dither while the rest of the world were screaming at him to take things seriously

About 10 posts back. A quote from Mr Cummings, Boris' advisor

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112912162&postcount=2141

You might say that "at least Boris didn't say that", but how long did he dither while the rest of the world were screaming at him to take things seriously

Which has been denied. There is no doubt that people are going to die from this, everyone knows that, it is up to the likes of Johnson to limit the damage.

But I don't think it is some plan to systematically kill off the poor etc. It is down to incompetence and arrogance. They really believed they knew better. They felt that they knew everything, they had been right about Brexit ref, right about the GE, they were Kings of the World. And they don't want to the world to change because they might not be kings anymore.

Do I think Cummins and Johnson would happily sacrifice people for that? Yes, totally, wrapped in the 'greater good' nonsense.

It is just that I don't think it is some big conspiracy. So I think we both agree on the overall, just how they got to that position is where we differ.

Which has been denied. There is no doubt that people are going to die from this, everyone knows that, it is up to the likes of Johnson to limit the damage.

But I don't think it is some plan to systematically kill off the poor etc. It is down to incompetence and arrogance. They really believed they knew better. They felt that they knew everything, they had been right about Brexit ref, right about the GE, they were Kings of the World. And they don't want to the world to change because they might not be kings anymore.

Do I think Cummins and Johnson would happily sacrifice people for that? Yes, totally, wrapped in the 'greater good' nonsense.

It is just that I don't think it is some big conspiracy. So I think we both agree on the overall, just how they got to that position is where we differ.

I don't think that anyone talked about a big conspiracy. They are not actively trying to kill off anyone.

Point was that they didn't appear care that their strategy would impose collateral damage on the vulnerable.
    Or at least, given the choice between potentially less disruption to the economy vs less avoidable deaths, they appear to have gone for the former.

If Johnson or his family catches corona, do you think they'll be lying in the makeshift ward which used to be a hospital canteen? More than likely not. If the economy contracts severely, do you think he will lose personal wealth? Most likely.

If he wants herd immunity, let him send his family to some hospital to pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This constant barrage of criticism of BJ's demeanor never got anyone anywhere, including that second rate journalist Ian Dunt, who seems to spend every waking moment of his life dreaming up new angles of criticism which after a while you notice are just the same rehashed points over and over again, like you see on this thread. What a bore.

It didn't work before the last UK election and it's not working now.

May was too cold, Mogg is too posh, Boris is too Boris, yawn yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

AllForIt wrote: »
    This constant barrage of criticism of BJ's demeanor never got anyone anywhere, including that second rate journalist Ian Dunt, who seems to spend every waking moment of his life dreaming up new angles of criticism which after a while you notice are just the same rehashed points over and over again, like you see on this thread. What a bore.

It didn't work before the last UK election and it's not working now.

May was too cold, Mogg is too posh, Boris is too Boris, yawn yawn.

Apart from the fact that his 'demeanour' is just a persona, Johnson's ineptitude behind his 'endearing eccentric' facade will cost thousands of lives. His dithering in taking meaningful steps to tackle the coronavirus outbreak was criminal and so they have no hope of flattening the curve now, unfortunately. Britain will suffer because of this herd immunity bullsh1t and lack of leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Apart from the fact that his 'demeanour' is just a persona, Johnson's ineptitude behind his 'endearing eccentric' facade will cost thousands of lives. His dithering in taking meaningful steps to tackle the coronavirus outbreak was criminal and so they have no hope of flattening the curve now, unfortunately. Britain will suffer because of this herd immunity bullsh1t and lack of leadership.

Apart from you nitpicking over my choice of nouns the rest does't particularly address anything I said so I'm not quite sure why you quoted me.

Not that I'm saying you don't have every right to use BJ's management of this crisis to criticize him in every hysterical conceivable way you can think of, go right ahead. I actually find it rather amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Apart from you nitpicking over my choice of nouns the rest does't particularly address anything I said so I'm not quite sure why you quoted me.

Not that I'm saying you don't have every right to use BJ's management of this crisis to undermine him in every hysterical conceivable way you can think of, go right ahead. I actually find it rather amusing.

Didn't nitpick. My point is that his facade hides his ineptitude. Read my post again in that context. Anyway, if you think that pointing out that his terrible dithering and lack of leadership will lead to thousands of deaths is 'hysterical' then I don't think you understand what's going to happen in Britain in the next few weeks.

Apart from you nitpicking over my choice of nouns

He wasn't. He was correcting your spelling. Possibly you didn't notice.

• Advertisement

Also, Prof. Moriarty has named himself well. Characterising anything he/she/other (I'm just gonna put hso from now on) posts as 'hysterical' is sort of laughable. But well done you. Straight out of RWNJ 101, that one.

Advertisement