Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest a large chopping board

Options
  • 26-01-2020 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

I’m looking for a large chopping board to replace my previous one that I lost moving house. Can’t seem to find one big enough. Can anyone suggest a good quality large wooden chopping board?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note:I've moved this to the main Food forum and added a tag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

I’m looking for a large chopping board to replace my previous one that I lost moving house. Can’t seem to find one big enough. Can anyone suggest a good quality large wooden chopping board?

IKEA have various sizes, we've been happy with ours.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/chopping-boards-15947/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you can find a rubber wood, butchers block style one ... They're really hard wood ,last forever ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I bought a very large one, a slab of mahogany, in a department store when I first got married. (decades ago)
    I still have it, somewhat stained but still in active service.

It is 45 x 30 cms, and an inch thick; corners a little rounded.

If I needed one again, I'd try to find a seller of woodwork materials that would supply a similar chunk of hardwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭delboythedub

Plastic chopping board is easier to clean properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Ikea good for large wooden boards; TK Maxx especially good for range of large heavy good quality boards. I have both. The Ikea one is huge but light - use it for serving multiple pizzas. The TK Maxx one sits on kitchen island as a permanent fixture, too heavy to move on & off.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

I got mine in Habitat (yes, that long ago, massive heavy thing, will outlive me.

If you have a bit of cash to spend on this there are loads of guys making cutting boards in Ireland, they seem to be at every craft and design fair. For sure they'd have one/do you one for a specific size.

Lots of differing views on that, get 10 experts and you'll probably get 11 answers.
    Plastic cutting boards, Cliver found, are easier to sanitize. But cutting on them also leaves lots of grooves where bacteria can hide. Wood is tougher to sanitize, but it’s also (often) tougher in general – you won’t find as many deep scratches in the surface.
    In addition, researchers have discovered that the type of wood your cutting board is made from also makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Venturing a little close to the dreaded food safety advice. Careful now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Fireball81 wrote: »
    IKEA have various sizes, we've been happy with ours.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/chopping-boards-15947/

I have the aptitlig and it's fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That is debatable!

I despise using a plastic chopping board.

OP, if you can get an end grain board, I find them much better.
    They don't warp, wear better and are kinder on your knives.
    TKMax/Homesense sometimes have nice chopping boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭Feisar

Advertisement