Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mr.burgess

If thats the case many more people would have done what he done but they couldn't he was the cristano ronaldo of basketball ,he helped thousands of people through his charities more than you or me have ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,037 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rick fox was reported as being on board the helicopter but his daughter has confirmed he wasn't on the helipcopter.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've deleted a number of posts and one person is banned from posting in this thread again

A number of people have died - please be respectful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I think his eldest daughter (13) has been confirmed by his reps to be amongst the victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think his eldest daughter (13) has been confirmed by his reps to be amongst the victims.

FFS
    That's so sad. Life really is so fragile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

BoldReason wrote: »
    ABC: Kobe Bryant and 4 children killed.

FOX: Kobe Bryant and 3 others killed.

TMZ: Kobe Bryant survived by wife and 4 daughters.

I hope some people lose their jobs today for rushing reports.

I quickly opened the 3 sites mentioned in this tweet.

ABC - "Kobe Bryant among 5 dead in helicopter crash in Southern California"
    FOX - "NBA superstar, 4 others killed in Southern California helicopter crash"
    TMZ - "KOBE BRYANT DIES IN HELICOPTER CRASH ... Daughter Also Killed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

He has an older daughter than that but yes I think one of his reps confirmed that the 13yo was also on board as well as another parent and kid. The report is saying they were going to a game or practice.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to add, none of us are in a position to speculate beyond what is reported, and even with that there is clearly still some confusion over the identities of everyone involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I quickly opened the 3 sites mentioned in this tweet.

ABC - "Kobe Bryant among 5 dead in helicopter crash in Southern California"
    FOX - "NBA superstar, 4 others killed in Southern California helicopter crash"
    TMZ - "KOBE BRYANT DIES IN HELICOPTER CRASH ... Daughter Also Killed"
    I was watching the ABC breaking news bulletin during the Pro Bowl and they 100% stated Kobe and his four children had died

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭PressRun

Very sad. I wouldn't be very into American sports, but he was someone who transcended the sport really.
    Terrible that his daughter appears to have been lost too. Apparently she was an aspiring basketball player herself, travelled to games with him a lot, etc. Very tragic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

PressRun wrote: »
    Very sad. I wouldn't be very into American sports, but he was someone who transcended the sport really.
    Terrible that his daughter appears to have been lost too. Apparently she was an aspiring basketball player herself, travelled to games with him a lot, etc. Very tragic.

She was, there is a short clip doing the rounds on Twitter showing them at a game recently and he is talking her through it. I won't post it here but it is quite moving now in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,353 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Being a Heat fan I always afraid when Bryant had that ball in hand. some player.

Seemed a great guy off it.

Always the good ones

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ohmeha wrote: »
    I was watching the ABC breaking news bulletin during the Pro Bowl and they 100% stated Kobe and his four children had died

They retracted that before TMZ then reported that his 2nd oldest, Gianna, was on board.

He coaches her team which is near the crash site and where they were allegedly were going.

TMZ are generally closest to this stuff and broke this initially. For stuff around LA they're very well connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Watching the NFL pro bowl they are saying it was Kobe, his 13 yr old daughter, another player and a parent. Heard reports that Rick Fox another former Laker was on board.

I went to a high school that played against Lower Merion when Kobe was there. Extra bleachers set up for the NBA scouts, which I'd
    never seen before. Man against boys doesnt even describe it. First play of the game he caught an alley oop dunk right on our centers head, and basically dunked all over everyone all night.

He was problematic and I never was a fan of his after the whole sex assault scandal but he was a phenomenal player with a relentless work ethic and one of the most ferocious competitors in any sport ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Do you reckon this reporter will have a job in the morning?

https://twitter.com/Littles1126/status/1221534651497549824

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Watching the NFL pro bowl they are saying it was Kobe, his 13 yr old daughter, another player and a parent. Heard reports that Rick Fox another former Laker was on board.

The Rick Fox rumours are false according to TMZ and his daughter. I think his kid plays on the same team so people were speculating on the reports that it's another player & parent.

Rick Fox also had been active on twitter since the crash time allegedly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Watching the Spurs Vs Raptors, each team let the 24 second shot clock run out on their first possession, arena chanting Kobe, Spurs assistant coach crying, didn't think I'd get emotional watching a regular season game.

Then the ball got stuck, which was a much needed moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Jesus, can you imagine that actually coming into your head? I can't, and I'd say its the dame for most people. She's toast

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Watching the Spurs Vs Raptors, each team let the 24 second shot clock run out on their first possession, arena chanting Kobe, Spurs assistant coach crying, didn't think I'd get emotional watching a regular season game.

Then the ball got stuck, which was a much needed moment.

Watching the clip, when they just stayed focused on the crowd getting emotional and clapping, there was a woman in a raptors headgear (set of teeth on top of the head, one on the bottom ) . Just seemed weird. Probably belongs on a twitter account like this. https://twitter.com/mascotsilence?lang=en

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It's like a real life Randy Marsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Jesus. I'm speechless. It's like when the rally driver Colin McRae was killed in a helicopter crash with his kids & brother on board in Scotland all those years ago.

It's aftermath hits you very hard when you least expect it.

Kobe Byrant's daughter, Gianna Maria, has been named as one of those killed in the crash.
    12:35 PM PT -- Kobe's daughter Gianna Maria -- aka GiGi -- was also on board the helicopter and died in the crash ... reps for Kobe tell TMZ Sports. She was 13.
    We're told they were on their way to the Mamba Academy for a basketball practice when the crash occurred. The Academy is in nearby Thousand Oaks.

R.I.P. to all those killed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

She was, there is a short clip doing the rounds on Twitter showing them at a game recently and he is talking her through it. I won't post it here but it is quite moving now in hindsight.

Yeah that video of them at a game really hits home now, beautiful moment caught between a dad and his kid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Hearing that his daughter, her friend and friends parents were the others on the helicopter.

Either way, an absolute tragedy that is going to have a massive impact on so many lives, RIP and condolences to all affected.

Obviously a legend, an all time great and a huge loss in his own right but he wasn't alone on that helicopter either.

#ripmamba

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

RoryMac wrote: »
    Yeah that video of them at a game really hits home now, beautiful moment caught between a dad and his kid

I saw that video at the time and it was a really nice video of his daughter sitting under the learning tree as they say, and what a person to learn basketball from then your dad who was one of the greatest of all time.

Btw there’s a press conference at 10pm Irish time from the authorities in LA which I’m sure they’ll be able to confirm more details and clear up some of the crap flying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

To be fair to her she said ‘nakers’ but of course it’s very close to sounding like ****.

Yeah, I think it was a tongue-tied cross between Knicks and Lakers, to be fair. She even paused before it which would indicate she wasn't sure which it was.

Either way, the backlash has commenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just seen Shaquille O'Neill's tweet on CNN.

https://twitter.com/SHAQ/status/1221549914766954496?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Either way, the backlash has commenced.

Poor woman. She'll be lucky if she has a job after the twitter mob start on her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sounds to me like she just tripped over her words. But it is the echo chamber that is Twitter so I imagine they'll be calling for her head.

Advertisement