Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sounds to me like she just tripped over her words. But it is the echo chamber that is Twitter so I imagine they'll be calling for her head.

To be fair, If your mind goes to "****" there when your reading it on the news, it has to be in your head.

Only listened the once but probably wasnt what she said anyway. More like nakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Former President Barack Obama has just sent a tweet.

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1221552460768202756

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Baseball coach John Altobelli also killed in the copter along with his daughter

Press conference starting now

What a tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I just seen Shaquille O'Neill's tweet on CNN.

https://twitter.com/SHAQ/status/1221549914766954496?s=20

Am I the only one who HATES all this tweeting rubbish.

"I AM SICK RIGHT NOW".

I'm sorry but when someone close to you dies you don't immediately reach for your phone to tell the whole world how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

"I AM SICK RIGHT NOW".

I'm sorry but when someone close to you dies you don't immediately reach for your phone to tell the whole world how you feel.

Well he was one of his best friend's and did it so....apparently some people do exactly that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just ignore folks, report and don't react.

RIP Kobe, shocking news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Terrible news. Horrible to see anyone die in that way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Police officer making a statement about the crash just said that there were 9 people on board the helicopter, not 5 as previously reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Id say someone hastily googled his name to pull a clip for the story and got a clip from one about LeBron overtaking him in the all time list , seeing as it only happened so was already in the news before this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Capra wrote: »
    Well he was one of his best friend's and did it so....apparently some people do exactly that.

There's always people on thread like this who think it's their job to police how others grieve. Shaq has lived his whole adult life in the public eye, and his friendship and rivalry with Kobe was lived in public too. No idea why someone would find it odd for him to work through his grief publicly, or why it is such a problem that he HATES it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Id say someone hastily googled his name to pull a clip for the story and got a clip from one about LeBron overtaking him in the all time list , seeing as it only happened so was already in the news before this.

Even if they knew nothing about basketball, you'd think the name "James" rather than "Bryant" on the back of the player's shirt would raise questions.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Necro wrote: »
    Just ignore folks, report and don't react.

RIP Kobe, shocking news

This

And yes another poster will not be posting in this thread again

Please though let's not turn this into a discussion about Trump, or even mistakes that may have been made in reporting this. It seems facts are still coming out and whether it's here or elsewhere mistakes or errors of judgement will be made. That's simple human nature

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Do you reckon this reporter will have a job in the morning?

https://twitter.com/Littles1126/status/1221534651497549824

Nope. She's gone. Freudian slip I think is the technical term.
    Her clarification is amusing.

"Earlier today, while reporting on the tragic news of Kobe Bryant’s passing, I unfortunately stuttered on air, combining the names of the Knicks and the Lakers to say “Nakers.” Please know I did not & would NEVER use a racist term. I apologize for the confusion this caused."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm watching CNN HD at the moment. A very large crowd of LA Lakers fans are laying a big amount of bouquets of flowers in random locations outside the Staples Center in LA in memory of Kobe Byrant & his daughter. They have a message on the ground that resembles something like RIP KOBE GIGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

robinbird wrote: »
    Nope. She's gone. Freudian slip I think is the technical term.
    Her clarification is amusing.

"Earlier today, while reporting on the tragic news of Kobe Bryant’s passing, I unfortunately stuttered on air, combining the names of the Knicks and the Lakers to say “Nakers.” Please know I did not & would NEVER use a racist term. I apologize for the confusion this caused."

She works for MSNBC...an organisation known for being very liberal leaning. I'd say the odds of her regularly using the N word and letting out a Freudian slip are next to zero. Her explanation is a lot more believable than her being some sort of closet racist who got caught out. But of course there has to be 24/7 outrage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It doesn’t sound like the word people seem to think she said at all - in fact, sounds exactly like “nakers” which was her explanation. Highly doubt the other word would enter her head.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Not suprisingly about hearing of the rape allegations the mumsnet thread on it has predictably taken a dark turn about 50 posts in. Quite a bit of this on social media from some feminists cheering his death and whatnot.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3806228-Kobe-and-Gigi-Bryant-killed-in-helicopter-crash?messages=100&pg=1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What is it with news items like this, that it soon turns into the usual race/#metoo/ back and forth.

The dead are an afterthought.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Mr.burgess

Not suprisingly about hearing of the rape allegations the mumsnet thread on it has predictably taken a dark turn about 50 posts in. Quite a bit of this on social media from some feminists cheering his death and whatnot.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3806228-Kobe-and-Gigi-Bryant-killed-in-helicopter-crash?messages=100&pg=1
    It was consesual sex he paid her off just to get her out of his life this same girl was known as a groupie in the basketball circle. If he was guilty of rape he would of gone to prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jesus, that is vile.

RIP those involved. Simply cannot believe some people speak that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Irish Simpsons fans page on fb at it too. I'm a big fan of the page but topics like this are always best avoided when they come up on it.

A few posts categorically stating that Kobe either committed sexual assault or rape or that he admitted to it. Comments turned off but posts left up. Really poor admin work.

None of the above is proveably true, Bryant always maintained he was innocent, he was never convicted, the trial collapsed and he consistently stated he believed he had consent.

He did apologise for any stress and upset he may have caused but never admitted guilt and none was ever proven.

Anyways RIP to a legend of the sport and the rest of the passengers caught up in the tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭PressRun

Seems that a friend of Kobe Bryant's daughter and both of her parents are other fatalities from the crash. Another family totally devestated. What an utter tragedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

NIMAN wrote: »
    The dead are an afterthought.

Not in this case; a 'VIP' has died so America must come to a standstill.

We have Barack 'I have a drone' Obama lamenting Kobe & his daughter, totally ignoring the other fatalities. We have Chrissy Teigen saying the Grammies are unimportant now that Kobe is dead; failing to point out that they're unimportant anyway because around 12% of Americans live in poverty and people die tragically everyday. I disdain the hypocritical canonization of 'celebrity' millionaires, whether it be for manoeuvering bouncy objects in a skillful fashion or otherwise.

RIP to the victims and Kobe, though probably flawed like the rest of us, a perfect player on the court.

"My wife was a nurse at a children's hospital. A young terminally ill patient's (of Mexican heritage) last wish was to meet Kobe. Kobe came, and stayed for over 3 hours playing video games; they ate, they had fun. My wife said it was the happiest she ever saw the boy." -quoted via Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Not in this case; a 'VIP' has died so America must come to a standstill.

We have Barack 'I have a drone' Obama lamenting Kobe & his daughter, totally ignoring the other fatalities.

In fairness - they appeared to be family friends, so it’s not that strange he would focus on the people he actually knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,779 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

"I AM SICK RIGHT NOW".

Unfortunately we now live in the age of social media

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,578 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »

A number of people have died - please be respectful
    More posts deleted and 2 more posters banned from posting in this thread again for ignoring this warning

Advertisement