Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend Hap was suspended for not paying it

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Are you trolling? 340,000 working people in Ireland who will lose their jobs this week have FAR bigger issues right now than a 3 euro weekly increase.

Also, If someone is on HAP paying rent it means they are no longer homeless.

Everything is relative.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dav010 wrote: »
    Everything is relative.

+1
    We all have a hierarchy of needs- which is dynamic- and as one need is satisfied, we move up the hierarchy tree.
    However- you cannot compare one person's perspective with another person's perspective- unless they are at a similar level.
    3 Euro might be relatively little to some people- it might be a choice over whether or not to get a coffee on the way into work, or not- whereas for someone else- it could represent food for a day (or longer) and what is a minor enough penance for one person- could have a disproportionately large impact on someone else.

We have possibly over 300,000 people loosing their jobs, possibly temporarily, this week- and falling to EUR203 a week- from which they have to make all their ends meet- where last week they had a multiple of this to pay their bills.

Times are tough- and people are going to have difficulty making their cloth fit their means- its a tough adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Priestess101

+1
    We all have a hierarchy of needs- which is dynamic- and as one need is satisfied, we move up the hierarchy tree.
    However- you cannot compare one person's perspective with another person's perspective- unless they are at a similar level.
    3 Euro might be relatively little to some people- it might be a choice over whether or not to get a coffee on the way into work, or not- whereas for someone else- it could represent food for a day (or longer) and what is a minor enough penance for one person- could have a disproportionately large impact on someone else.

We have possibly over 300,000 people loosing their jobs, possibly temporarily, this week- and falling to EUR203 a week- from which they have to make all their ends meet- where last week they had a multiple of this to pay their bills.

Times are tough- and people are going to have difficulty making their cloth fit their means- its a tough adjustment.

Thank you for understanding, couldn't of worded it better myself. Kind words from a kind moderator.

+1

I work closely with so called homeless people on HAP, believe me most of them are doing ok. The system is a farce and an utter insult to workers who have high rents in this country.

They are doing a hell of a lot better than everyone LOSING jobs this week. Let's have a bit of perspective on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I work closely with so called homeless people on HAP, believe me most of them are doing ok. The system is a farce and an utter insult to workers who have high rents in this country.

They are doing a hell of a lot better than everyone LOSING jobs this week. Let's have a bit of perspective on this.

Many on HAP have also been through the trauma of losing a job and/or were unable to get jobs. There should not be a them verses us on this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Those loosing their jobs this week- are initially going to receive the basic payment of 203 Euro and nothing more, for a period of 6 weeks. The presumption is- at the elapse of 6 weeks, they will either migrate back to their jobs which will have been mothballed rather than no longer exist, or they will migrate onto formal unemployment benefit and have access to other unemployment benefits (both financial and non-financial).

Its a transition period- while we get our heads around what the hell is happening- and how its effects on us, as a country and as a society, have changed to a new 'normal'.

It now looks entirely possible that we may hit a budget deficit of up to 20% over the next 12 months- where once we looked a shoe-in for a surplus of up to 3-4%

We all have new 'norms' that we are going to have to get used to- and its going to be a steep learning curve. Many of those 300,000 who are drawing down their 203 Euro a week for the next 6 weeks- may very well find that they don't have jobs that are going to reappear as circumstances change.

Nice try ;)

Sorry I have never heard such rude remarks from a boards member regarding helping the vulnerable. We all know that everybody is stressed out & struggling immensly to make ends meets, long before this crisis took place actually. Have a little compassion and respect for your fellow man.

Throwing shade on said "vulnerable" people you work with begs to differ if you're really in the right profession. Maybe it won't be so bad losing that job of yours (temporarily) to help you gain that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Throwing shade on said "vulnerable" people you work with begs to differ if you're really in the right profession. Maybe it won't be so bad losing that job of yours (temporarily) to help you gain that perspective.

That's a rather disgusting remark, well below the normal standard of interaction on here.

Colking wrote: »
    That's a rather disgusting remark, well below the normal standard of interaction on here.

How so?
    Are you a friend of this so called homelesss HAP worker claiming that homeless persons housed in accommodation are all just “doing ok”? I can’t tell you right now that you are gravely mistaken. A person close to me is being discriminated and harassed by her LL as a result of financial and mental health issues. Had they been less vulnerable in proper health and employment nobody would dare to take advantage over a simple rent increase.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

As the OP has not responded, thread closed.

Priestess101, please don't ask for update on a thread. Please start new threads where you wish to discuss an unrelated subject.

Thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement