Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to get out of my parents house

Options
  • 26-01-2020 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭

Hi

I feel like I need to move out of my parents house. I love my family, but I don't link living with them all the time. I need my own space.

I'm 24, I having been working full time as a software engineer for the last 16 months. I make 32K year (second job, first salary was very low). I have 13K in savings and even the fact that I can save 1700 a month, it doesn't feel like in getting anywhere close to a deposit. I should be on round 40K in so I should be able to save 2000/2100 a month then.

There's apartments near me in Dublin for around the 210K. Even though they're cheap, financing one will around another 18 months.

I'm in Dublin have no interest in leaving Dublin, and I can't afford to rent on my own.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hi

I feel like I need to move out of my parents house. I love my family, but I don't link living with them all the time. I need my own space.

I'm 24, I having been working full time as a software engineer for the last 16 months. I make 32K year (second job, first salary was very low). I have 13K in savings and even the fact that I can save 1700 a month, it doesn't feel like in getting anywhere close to a deposit. I should be on round 40K in so I should be able to save 2000/2100 a month then.

There's apartments near me in Dublin for around the 210K. Even though they're cheap, financing one will around another 18 months.

Any advice?

Rent

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Step back from it and recognise that the only reason you’re in a position to save is that you’re not paying rent.
    Keep doing what you’re doing for another while and you’ll be in the fortunate position to have your on home (well mortgage anyway!) at a relatively early age.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

house share, should be able to get something living with others for 5-600 a month. If you don't want to live with others then youre stuck where you are, but house sharing is fun in your 20s and you can make a lot of good friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

house share, should be able to get something living with others for 5-600 a month. If you don't want to live with others then youre stuck where you are, but house sharing is fun in your 20s and you can make a lot of good friends.

Do the above, enjoy life (But also save). Also, get a promotion or switch jobs in 8-12 months time to get a pay bump, you'll have over 2 years experience then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Step back from it and recognise that the only reason you’re in a position to save is that you’re not paying rent.
    Keep doing what you’re doing for another while and you’ll be in the fortunate position to have your on home (well mortgage anyway!) at a relatively early age.

This. Stick it out and save as much as possible.

Be thankful your folks are happy to have you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Move out and house share like everyone else did in their 20s .

Not being able to buy your own place at 24 is normal

Stay where you are and keep saving to buy your own place, moving out is throwing away money for nothing but to live in a place that won’t be as nice as home sharing with strangers.

Plenty of people stay living at home rather than move out into houseshares and having lived in then for a while I’d have much preferred to have been living at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Share with others. its normal at your age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

24 and living at home? You'd be better off growing up and moving on from your parents. Financially, you can achieve it by renting whilst still saving so go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd be staying put, saving like mad and looking to buy in 24 months time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'd house share.
    Did until 27 or 28. Then rented with the missus.

Personally I'd be heading off for a year or two too. Get couple years work behind you and head to oz or Canada or even london for a bit of a different experience.

House share and work where you go.
    You can still save money once you work.
    World is your oyster.

You could buy in 2 years and end up living in dublin from cradle to grave. Ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

You've really only got 3 choices;

Stay where you are and buy in 18 months
    Move out, house-share and buy in 36-48 months
    Ask the bank of mum and dad to help you out.

Changing jobs and getting pay increases may shorten the timescales but the options stay the same.

I'd stay where I was, 18 months isn't that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

Hi

I'm in Dublin have no interest in leaving Dublin, and I can't afford to rent on my own.

Any advice?

A quick calculation teaches that you can have those 40 k in about 16 months or so. Are you able to stay with mommy and daddy for one more year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

There's people 10 years older than you in worse positions.
    I'd keep saving and stay for another year or so at least.

Yes it'd be great to move out, but things aren't like years ago.
    Rents are stupid and property prices are mad.
    You need to prioritise the deposit and saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

You are young starting out on your career, you will probably move jobs for promotion and pay rises multiple times over the next few years. This could mean moving to the other end of the country or another country. Do you really want to tie yourself down and buy a small crappy apartment that will have trouble selling afterwards....

Like the rest of the people say, rent a room in a house for a few years have the craic meet new people. It gives you the flexibility to move and change jobs also as you see fit. Everybody does it.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Stay at home, you are only 24, many people much older than you are still staying at home. Do a spending diary, see where your money is going. Save, save like mad and by the time you reach the young age of 26, you will a proud home owner and spared the ordeal of having to live in shared accommodation. Sharing suits some people but if the majority had the choice, they much rather the privacy and independence of having their very own home.

Steer55 wrote: »
    Stay at home, you are only 24, many people much older than you are still staying at home. Do a spending diary, see where your money is going. Save, save like mad and by the time you reach the young age of 26, you will a proud home owner and spared the ordeal of having to live in shared accommodation. Sharing suits some people but if the majority had the choice, they much rather the privacy and independence of having their very own home.

even if that means living with mummy and daddy until they are 26/27/28

thats when you should be living life, making your way in the world not watching the late late with your parents and having your mother wash your pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Steer55 wrote: »

But they are living in shared accommodation. They are sharing with their parents who they don't like living with.

I'd say to move out and rent a room in a shared house as it will help your relationship with your family. You still have loads of time to save to buy a house.

Renting isn't dead money. It is money to have a roof over your head. Where you get flexibility in relation to moving and have no responsibility to the upkeep of your house.

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is a balance to be found between living with your parents at that age, where you feel like a child and aren't getting to experience life as properly as a young adult, and renting where you're paying out big sums in rent each month.

You need to find that balance. Yes, staying at home might get you savings quicker, but there's no sense in being miserable either. You don't want to be looking back in 10 years regretting that you didn't make the most of the few years in your life when your responsibilities are minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I hope you are buying some grocery's and paying some bills while living at home with parents. Stay put head down and get your own place you could probably rent a room out then or rent a room now and relax for a couple of years.

Are you a decent Java developer? We could split some referral cash and probably get you a pay rise more than likely my place looking for some developers soon.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    There is a balance to be found between living with your parents at that age, where you feel like a child and aren't getting to experience life as properly as a young adult, and renting where you're paying out big sums in rent each month.

You need to find that balance. Yes, staying at home might get you savings quicker, but there's no sense in being miserable either. You don't want to be looking back in 10 years regretting that you didn't make the most of the few years in your life when your responsibilities are minimal.

Or you know you can just decide to not put more crying babies on this planet so you can always enjoy your life even in your 30s and 40s. You dont NEED children.

machaseh wrote: »
    Or you know you can just decide to not put more crying babies on this planet so you can always enjoy your life even in your 30s and 40s. You dont NEED children.

easy tiger, no one says you need children, but in the right circumstances, for most people, there is no greater joy

Cyrus wrote: »
    even if that means living with mummy and daddy until they are 26/27/28

Yes, why not? I’d have plenty of friends who only moved out late 20’s/early 30’s when they had bought or built their own house. They lived just as fun lives as those living in crappy houses shares and much better from the perceptive of living in a much nicer place and far cheaper than renting.

They are now in much better financial positions a lot due to being able to save more etc.

Being honest houseshares are crap, I had to live in one for a few years when I moved out at 25 as work at the time was too far to commute and I couldn’t wait to get home at the weekends, living at home was vastly better.

Madness imo to go throwing away money on rent when you can live at home and save far more while still being able to afford to live a nicer life due to not having to pay rent.

easy tiger, no one says you need children, but in the right circumstances, for most people, there is no greater joy

What joy is there from hauling around a crying little monster and cleaning its sh1te ? I never understood it. Luckily I'll never have an 'oopsie' and put one on this world as I'm gay anyway.

Yes, why not? I’d have plenty of friends who only moved out late 20’s/early 30’s when they had bought or built their own house. They lived just as fun lives as those living in crappy houses shares and much better from the perceptive of living in a much nicer place and far cheaper than renting.

They are now in much better financial positions a lot due to being able to save more etc.

Being honest houseshares are crap, I had to live in one for a few years when I moved out at 25 as work at the time was too far to commute and I couldn’t wait to get home at the weekends, living at home was vastly better.

Madness imo to go throwing away money on rent when you can live at home and save far more while still being able to afford to live a nicer life due to not having to pay rent.

Not everyone has a good relationship with their parents that they can live at home, and not everyone has the luck of parents living in Dublin city.

For example I moved out at 17 because I'm from the middle of nowhere in the rural part of the Netherlands and it was 3 hours one way to my university.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Not everyone has a good relationship with their parents that they can live at home, and not everyone has the luck of parents living in Dublin city.

For example I moved out at 17 because I'm from the middle of nowhere in the rural part of the Netherlands and it was 3 hours one way to my university.

Eh I don't get how this is relevant for this thread as the OP who asked the question does live in Dublin?

I also live at home at 24 and realise I'm lucky to be able to and lucky that I get along with my parents.

I also pay "board" as my mum likes to call it and will buy my own food (aside from basics) such as meat etc

To an earlier poster saying there's loads of share houses in Dublin going from €500-600pm thank you for the laugh this morning.

yeah nox we all know your thoughts on this.

OP if you want to end up like Nox stay at home.

What joy is there from hauling around a crying little monster and cleaning its sh1te ? I never understood it. Luckily I'll never have an 'oopsie' and put one on this world as I'm gay anyway.

if thats how you feel its for the best.

you do realise you were once that little monster? and that that period of life lasts for 18-24 months?

if thats how you feel its for the best.

you do realise you were once that little monster? and that that period of life lasts for 18-24 months?

Yes and I regret the day I was born. Despite having a chronical disease, my parents put a second child on this planet (the first one, my brother, was lucky enough not to inherit the gene). And now here I am. Thanks, folks :rolleyes:

mlem123 wrote: »
    Eh I don't get how this is relevant for this thread as the OP who asked the question does live in Dublin?

I also live at home at 24 and realise I'm lucky to be able to and lucky that I get along with my parents.

I also pay "board" as my mum likes to call it and will buy my own food (aside from basics) such as meat etc

To an earlier poster saying there's loads of share houses in Dublin going from €500-600pm thank you for the laugh this morning.

Yes and I can fully understand OP availing of this privilege, just pointing out that for many of us this privilege is just not there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

awec wrote: »

Agreed. I've moved in and out of home for about 10 years now. At first it was for college so lived away for the academic year then back home for the summer.Since then it’s been back and forth for various reasons. I’d be renting for a year or two then back home for 6 months.

I've found that living at home in your 20’s can be tough. The cabin fever sets in quite quickly and you really miss the freedom of (and I mean this in the nicest way) nobody caring where you’re going or what you’re doing with your time. I'm sure it's different for other families or whatever but I've found that even things like dating are much harder while you're at home.
    I don't mean to sound ungrateful and am obviously lucky to have parents who have put up with me this long but it's not only a financial decision.

Advertisement