Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to get out of my parents house

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

In true fashion of recommending what I did..

I was in a sort of similar position, I.e. wanting to get on the housing ladder asap when I started my career. My parents lived in the sticks so I could not even stay there. My IT career only existed in Dublin so I spent a year there renting. After that year I came to the conclusion that there was no hope of me getting property. So I went to London. Tons of well paid programming jobs. After 6 months I had my own flat commutable to central London, couldn't have been happier. It was also in the sticks but public transport was much better.
    Morale of the story is there are always options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Yes, why not? I’d have plenty of friends who only moved out late 20’s/early 30’s when they had bought or built their own house. They lived just as fun lives as those living in crappy houses shares and much better from the perceptive of living in a much nicer place and far cheaper than renting.

They are now in much better financial positions a lot due to being able to save more etc.

Being honest houseshares are crap, I had to live in one for a few years when I moved out at 25 as work at the time was too far to commute and I couldn’t wait to get home at the weekends, living at home was vastly better.

Madness imo to go throwing away money on rent when you can live at home and save far more while still being able to afford to live a nicer life due to not having to pay rent.

Vast majority of adults in such a situation would pay a rent to the parents as it's the decent thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

Move out if you're not happy. Your parents can rent out your old room and make decent money instead of giving it to you for free!
    I assume you stayed at home during college and never really got away? Might be no harm to get out and live with other people for a while, you might even have a new appreciation for your family.
    Personally I would save up and buy. Renting out a room in your apartment would go a long way to covering your mortgage at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

House share. Moving from no rent, no bills, etc, to a mortgage + bills can cause undue stress.

Also, renting can be great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

machaseh wrote: »
    Yes and I regret the day I was born. Despite having a chronical disease, my parents put a second child on this planet (the first one, my brother, was lucky enough not to inherit the gene). And now here I am. Thanks, folks :rolleyes:

No one cares about your personal life on a thread about saving for a house.

OP if I were you, I would suck it up and try and save for another 12-18 months while you still can. Living with family can be tough but you will be thankful of it if you own your own property in your late 20's.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »

OP if you want to end up like Nox stay at home.

You could do a lot lot worse ;)

Also just to note I did houseshare for a few years so I'm speaking from experience when I say I'd much rather live at home even without financial incentives. Housesharing is absolutely crap regardless of how some try to say it’s not.

In the current climate it really is much smarter to use all the advantages you can to accumulate savings. In a few years time when you own your own place and the person who went renting by choice is still stuck renting there is no question of what the smart decision was. Look plenty of people have no choice but to rent or houseshare as they work too far from home but those who can should think long and hard before wasting money on rent that's all I'm really saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

House share.

I met some of my best friends doing that, it's great fun with the right gang. Sure, had an experience with a absolute nutcase as well, but it makes a good story. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You could do a lot lot worse ;)

Also just to note I did houseshare for a few years so I'm speaking from experience when I say I'd much rather live at home even without financial incentives. Housesharing is absolutely crap regardless of how some try to say it’s not.

In the current climate it really is much smarter to use all the advantages you can to accumulate savings. In a few years time when you own your own place and the person who went renting by choice is still stuck renting there is no question of what the smart decision was. Look plenty of people have no choice but to rent or houseshare as they work too far from home but those who can should think long and hard before wasting money on rent that's all I'm really saying.

your experience of an alternative houseshare arrangement to the one that you are ALREADY IN, was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have to be honest OP, this "rent" option, yeah great. Wait till you see the reality of sharing in many places, arguing over bills etc. Id wait until after the election, see who gets in and what their housing proposals are, there might be saving schemes as muted, to help towards a deposit. If you parents were in a position to help you buy now , that could be a good option. Then again if FF, SF get in and bring the place crashing back down again, being stuck in an apartment might not be great. Stick put and save everything you can in my opinion, Id even contemplate working another job for a few hours a week if possible, to save quicker. You can earn up to the grand pittance of 35k , before hitting the wolf of wall street rate of income tax :rolleyes:

Wait till you have gf, bf and all the house related issues come up. Honestly in my opinion, you are better of staying home and ripping off the plaster. The moving out and renting IN DUBLIN , is a rubbish option in my opinion. For those of you not from dublin, you will rent a kip for E1200 a month, a rotten ancient studio... There is a reason many want their own home after a while, sharing becomes unbearable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Depends on who you are sharing with?
    If you were sharing with friends you would look back with fond memories of great times. I certainly do anyway.

I'm guessing that you didn't make friends with your housemates or you wouldn't be saying this?
    That's not the case with everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

say seven hundred a month for an ok room in ok area, hundred a month for bills. E9600! a year! then its so economical shopping for a family, v alone for yourself. You are talking ten k a year saving minimum. then if they do some save to buy scheme, you could benefit from, for each ten k, they would give you 2.5k! you could be talking about a 12.5k swing per annum, minimum!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope.

It can be crap if you're unlucky or if you are an a** But that's no different from living at home sometimes family members are crap to live with too.

But it's really good for maturation, and learning to take responsibility for yourself. It broadens your world view. If you're lucky, can make some really good friends out of it.

Advertisement