Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MR16 to GU10 conversion

Options
  • 26-01-2020 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have just changed 5 spotlights from MR16 to GU10 and I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about that fact that there is no earth wire.

These are the GU10 lamp holders I used
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/luceco-gu10-gz10-lampholder/3751H?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29jH9pGi5wIVBLTtCh1mUAZAEAUYASABEgLmqfD_BwE.

Each MR16 had its own transformer with a live and neutral goin in and out. I removed the transformer for each, and connected the mains live and neutral to the new GU10. There is a space to add an earth to the GU10 box but I just left it empty as there was no earth and the lad in the store said that was grand. Is it!?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Anyone!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have just changed 5 spotlights from MR16 to GU10 and I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about that fact that there is no earth wire.

These are the GU10 lamp holders I used
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/luceco-gu10-gz10-lampholder/3751H?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29jH9pGi5wIVBLTtCh1mUAZAEAUYASABEgLmqfD_BwE.

Each MR16 had its own transformer with a live and neutral goin in and out. I removed the transformer for each, and connected the mains live and neutral to the new GU10. There is a space to add an earth to the GU10 box but I just left it empty as there was no earth and the lad in the store said that was grand. Is it!?

Cheers

It's not really grand, if the fitting requires an earth it should definitely have one. Check if your fitting s are double insulated / class 2, if so they do not require an earth but a lot of the time will have a connector block just to put the earth into and to ensure earth continuity throughout the circuit. The symbol for double insulated is a square within a square.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

kramer1 wrote: »
    It's not really grand, if the fitting requires an earth it should definitely have one. Check if your fitting s are double insulated / class 2, if so they do not require an earth but a lot of the time will have a connector block just to put the earth into and to ensure earth continuity throughout the circuit. The symbol for double insulated is a square within a square.

Thanks. No they are not class 2. Is the easiest solution to remove the current fittings (lampholder and chrome spotlight fitting) and replace with a new class 2 unit?

One other thing I'm curious about, out of the 5 spots I replaced, 4 had 2 x live and 2 x neutral wired going into the original MR16 transformer (2live into one terminal and 2 neutral into one terminal). The 5th spot just has 1 live and 1 neutral. Is that unusual and is it ok to replicate this set-up going straight into the new GU 240v lampholders? Just for background, all 5 are controlled by a single gang dimmer switch.

Thanks for your help and advice .

Advertisement