Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How strict is the 3.5 times rule

Options
  • 26-01-2020 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

So houses in my area are going for 200K and I really want to stay in the place where I grew up.

I have 35K saved and am on 40K a year with same global IT company for the last seven years. Even if I did get let go I could pick up a job handy in Dublin.

Any leniency here or am I just wasting my time.

40K by 3.5 is 140,000 so would neee a deposit of 60K and probably 15K on top of it.

Any help would be appreciated. I can easily afford the mortgage payments or will have to stay saving for another three or four years. I have no debt whatsoever.

I’m single, no kids or missus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So houses in my area are going for 200K and I really want to stay in the place where I grew up.

I have 35K saved and am on 40K a year with same global IT company for the last seven years. Even if I did get let go I could pick up a job handy in Dublin.

Any leniency here or am I just wasting my time.

40K by 3.5 is 140,000 so would neee a deposit of 60K and probably 15K on top of it.

Any help would be appreciated. I can easily afford the mortgage payments or will have to stay saving for another three or four years. I have no debt whatsoever.

I’m single, no kids or missus.

You had no intention of getting a mortgage yesterday :confused:

You were on €52k yesterday, now it’s €40k

You had 60k saved yesterday, now it’s €35k

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112354492&postcount=1
    Hi Folks, Thinking of going contracting to give me a bit more freedom.

Background:

Currently earning 52000 a year and getting 3200 a month. I’m renting with friends in Kilkenny paying 300 a month and commuting to Dublin.

I’m 34 and have no real intention of getting a mortgage. Money doesn’t mean a lot to me

Jobs available:
    After contacting a few recruitment agencies there’s plenty of jobs available in my field contracting wise ranging from 180 to 250 a day from two months to a year.

What I Know:
    You don’t get paid holidays or bank holidays paid. There are 253 working days in a year. You have to set yourself up as a limited company.

What I need to know:

If my daily rate added up to what I was getting 52000 grand a year and 3200 a month how much would I get if I was contracting? Would it work out the same at 3200 take home pay or a good bit more. Also if I had to commute to Cork, Galway or Dublin how much of a tax break would I get on fuel? Can I get a tax break on equipment like laptop or even a different car.

Any help would be appreciated. Ideally I plan on working six months of the year and don’t mind commuting at all.

I have about 60K saved as well so not too bothered if it doesn’t work out

Then you were living in a 1 bed for €700 a month before the weekend, not sharing with friends in
    Kilkenny paying €300 a month
    Currently getting 49.5K a year gross as a single person outside of Dublin which is around 3100 a month. I would consider myself middle class.

My one bed apartment is 700 a month and car in total is say 300 a month.

That leaves me 2100 a month.

If I went on the Dole I would have to move back in with the parents which is not happening.

Saving 1300 a month for a mortgage which is tough so basically living on the dole at the minute. House are 150K in my area.

It might benefit young families but as a single male or female it does not whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Also says houses are 200k where they live but were 150k yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wheety wrote: »
    Also says houses are 200k where they live but were 150k yesterday.

We are in the middle of a housing boom so we should let that one slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You were on €52k yesterday, now it’s €40k

€49.5 two days ago. what company gives raises like that over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You had 60k saved yesterday, now it’s €35k

Big session on Saturday night?

• Advertisement
Advertisement