Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i take this job

• 27-01-2020 1:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently working part time in a job in the private sector and supplement my income with social welfare for the days i'm not working, i've 3 children and a wife to support also i get travel allowances for my job which boosts my income

the issue is i've been offered a really good job in the civil service and the starting pay is quite low the basic is better than my current job, its secure and have good opportunities, etc

my fear is if i take the job i will not be able to provide for my family, and will have lost a good opportunity also there is the fear my current job will not last too long and then i'll have to reply on social welfare and look for another job, i found it very hard get a full time job.

i know its good to be in full time employment contributing, etc, i'm just worried about not being able to provide for my family, the mileage i get make a big difference to my job, i know its wear and tear on a car, etc with travel.

please any guidance is appreciated as its killing me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

Take the civil service job, and if you need to work a couple of evenings delivering pizza etc to make ends meet, until you get a promotion/salary increment - do it.

The pension alone, means you will be providing or your family into the future, and if that is your priority then it is a no brainer.

Once you move up the salary scale, you wont look back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Op take the job and look in to Family Income Supplement. You may be eligible for this support even as a civil servant

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tina82

take the job and apply for Working Family Payment (aka FIS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Take the job. Relying on mileage as a basic income is sticking the head in the sand, you're paid that because a large bill to replace your car is coming down the tracks.

Also, as you seem quite stressed, can your wife find work and you mind the children, if that works better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Take the job. Pension benefits and reasonable chance of promotion to better pay, terms and conditions. Ability to move to different sectors and roles internally and not have to take a paycut. I really can't see how this is even up for debate tbh.

• Advertisement

make sure you get a good idea of what the take home would be in the CS job, the deductions might surprise you

but also take into account that the salary will increase each year, so if you can get through the first while then the progression, training, hours might weigh up in favour of accepting

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Second it.Have been in that position.The salary will increase year on year so the starting pay is not forever.Pensions, sick leave, it is about more than just salary.And you may find other opportunities come up internally that you could be eligible for.With the civil service, opening one door tends to leave a few others ajar for you.It is worth taking it, and just getting through the first year or so, it will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭the14thwarrior

take the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

the civil service job are generally more family friendly. Term time, parental leave, paid paternity/ parental, flexi time and a 37 hour week. I know loads of staff who have other income outside of main job. You also generally have better sick pay, pension and life assurance widows/ orphans. I have a few friends that were so scalded in the private sector after the last recession that they took massive hits in salary up to 50% and went back to the bottom of pay scales to have job security

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I was in the same boat a few years ago, took the public service job and haven't looked back.

The starting pay was worse then than it is now and I work another job in the evenings to make up any shortfall. You won't miss the increments building up though, and as others have said, the pension and other benefits such as flexitime (depending on dept) are great.

Go for it and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

my fear is if i take the job i will not be able to provide for my family, and will have lost a good opportunity also there is the fear my current job will not last too long and then i'll have to reply on social welfare and look for another job, i found it very hard get a full time job.

OP I'm confused why this is causing you such stress. You say if you take this job you'll loose a good opportunity but in the next breath say your current job is not likely to last long. What opportunity are missing out by taking a secure long term job? The travel allowances can't be the main reason you are having doubts surely? As others have said you can look at doing amazon deliveries or your wife could look for something part time to make up short fall at the start but long term you are looking after your family taking the role.

Advertisement