Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never mind saving the planet,who's going to save the Banks ?

Options
  • 27-01-2020 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

More shenannigans from our favorite "sector".

Having managed to wean workers away from being paid in cash,our Banking Overlords now seek to charge us Twice for accessing it...

How can this crap be headed off at the pass.....worth asking Canditates on the doorstep ?....maybe an e-mail to Greta Thunberg ?......any other suggestionms ?

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/banks-plan-to-sell-off-a-thousand-of-their-atms-38897781.html
    There are worries that rural areas will be the big losers. Consumer groups say companies that own ATMs independently of banks are likely to impose charges and fees for using them.

This would be in addition to the fees imposed by banks for withdrawing cash from an ATM.

:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

The only way to stop it is if people don't use them. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This only impacts withdrawing cash and euronet will likely buy most of them and gouge tourists not locals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I honestly struggle to remember the last time I paid cash for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

In fairness, cash is evil.

Criminals love cash as it's anonymous and untraceable.
    Muggers and robbers love cash.
    I'd love to see the faces of the criminals when that £250 million money laundering operation was shut down up North recently.

In fact, apart from investment/speculation, I'd say BitCoin/cryptocurrencies are being propped up by money launderers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So it's not actually happening, there's just a risk it might happen according to the spokesperson of an advocacy group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

AlekSmart wrote: »
    maybe an e-mail to Greta Thunberg ?

Wrong end of the stick. Greta just registered her name sa a trademark.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/30/us/greta-thunberg-trademark-trnd/index.html

We will have to pay her now even to ask her for sending an email.
    Taking into account that she is the best candidate for this year Nobel Peace Price she is now worth piles of gold and it is understandable now why she comes from millionaires family:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Aaaand the answer is Revolut. Transfer cash to it seamlessly, use away for nowt.

Last week I went to the UK. While I was there I needed some running around cash so I did a little experiment. Put my own current account card into an ATM, selected £60 of the Queens sterling, it offered me a cost of €75.2 odd. Cancelled transaction and popped in my Revolut visa debit card, rate offered was €70.3 odd.

The banks are going spare over it. Its cheaper for online shopping in foreign currency, for buying foreign currency to stash when rates are good and as I've described, taking out cash abroad in foreign currency. It also works with Google Pay here so you can use it free for all cashless transactions day-to-day.

And as an added bonus, fifteen people I know have taken it up on my recommendation so I've got €75 free from them so far for the introductions!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Aaaand the answer is Revolut. Transfer cash to it seamlessly, use away for nowt.

Last week I went to the UK. While I was there I needed some running around cash so I did a little experiment. Put my own current account card into an ATM, selected £60 of the Queens sterling, it offered me a cost of €75.2 odd. Cancelled transaction and popped in my Revolut visa debit card, rate offered was €70.3 odd.

The banks are going spare over it. Its cheaper for online shopping in foreign currency, for buying foreign currency to stash when rates are good and as I've described, taking out cash abroad in foreign currency. It also works with Google Pay here so you can use it free for all cashless transactions day-to-day.

And as an added bonus, fifteen people I know have taken it up on my recommendation so I've got €75 free from them so far for the introductions!

So your answer to avoid fees for withdrawing cash from an ATM, is to use a different card to withdraw cash from the ATM? How exactly does that work?

Or is this just an advert for Revolut?

Advertisement