Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Greta Thunberg says it's 'extremely likely' she has coronavirus.

https://www.buzz.ie/news/greta-thunberg-says-extremely-likely-coronavirus-361043
    The Swedish climate activist said she was self-isolating after returning from a trip around central Europe with her father around two weeks ago.

She said they both began to feel ill a few days later, with Thunberg suffering with “shivers, sore throat and cough”.

Thunberg said she had not been tested, in line with the policy in Sweden, and had now "basically recovered".
    ...follow the advice from experts and your local authorities and #StayAtHome to slow the spread of the virus. And remember to always take care of each other and help those in need.
    #COVID #flattenthecurve

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Things that tickle your curiosity at 3 in the morning but what is it about this girl makes a certain type of guy (usually but not always) of a certain age, melt down so almost violently?

It’s bizarre. And embarrassing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's commendable that they chose to self-isolate.

45fgfg45.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

“Nobody is oaying attention to me, time to shift gear for relevance”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Runaways wrote: »
    Things that tickle your curiosity at 3 in the morning but what is it about this girl makes a certain type of guy (usually but not always) of a certain age, melt down so almost violently?

You are thinking about a young girl at 3 in the morning or about lots of.... frustrated men of a certain age? Imagining them being violent?
    meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

Runaways wrote: »

Motivated by shame, mostly. They need to put her down to feel better about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

“Nobody is oaying attention to me, time to shift gear for relevance”

Yup that's how I read that statement as well.

Her/their entire "movement" has ground to an abrupt and shuddering halt in the face of a far more important and demanding reality (as was inevitable and has always been the case I might add), and suddenly no one of any influence or importance cares about Greta's "look at me" antics and pontificating.

So, what to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wonder who thought of it? Her mother Malena or the PR agency they have on speed dial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

biko wrote: »
    It's commendable that they chose to self-isolate.

45fgfg45.jpg

On a Thunberg tangent for a bit.

The Swedish government has chosen an almost diametrically opposed response to COVID19 than the rest of Europe (The World).

It appears that in pushing the virtues of the "Swedish Way" the Government may have ignored reality,and therefore Ms Thunberg's mantra of "The Science".

This scenario is a very interesting high-stakes Swedish poker game,which could end very badly for the country.

That being said,I had to smile at the intro line to the Indo piece.....:)

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/sweden-is-doing-the-opposite-of-almost-all-of-europe-to-tackle-coronavirus-39080526.html
    Swedish children continued to pour through the gates into their schools and kindergartens yesterday as the country stood increasingly alone in Europe in its approach to tackling the coronavirus.

Even the Scientists were driven to challenge those pesky politicians
    More than 2,000 eminent Swedish researchers and university professors have sent an open letter to the government calling for tougher measures.

If this does'nt reinvigorate the Thunberg's movement...nothing will :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

A good overview of the techniques used by Science Denialists:
    https://crankyuncle.com/a-history-of-flicc-the-5-techniques-of-science-denial/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

AlekSmart wrote: »
    On a Thunberg tangent for a bit.

The Swedish government has chosen an almost diametrically opposed response to COVID19 than the rest of Europe (The World).

It appears that in pushing the virtues of the "Swedish Way" the Government may have ignored reality,and therefore Ms Thunberg's mantra of "The Science".

This scenario is a very interesting high-stakes Swedish poker game,which could end very badly for the country.

That being said,I had to smile at the intro line to the Indo piece.....:)

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/sweden-is-doing-the-opposite-of-almost-all-of-europe-to-tackle-coronavirus-39080526.html

Even the Scientists were driven to challenge those pesky politicians

If this does'nt reinvigorate the Thunberg's movement...nothing will :eek:

Sweden is a beautiful country, but its culture now is unrecognisable, and its native people are all subdued.

A lot of fear and local natives born forthright aren't as happy jolly sweeds that they were.

As for Thorberg, I think anyone who is influenced by a stroppy teenager needs their reality checked.

She's like a Christian crusader, causing division and anarchy and she has no respect for her elders, unless they agree with her.

You'll see all this climate change waffle will fade away and these Ceo's and politicians endorsing biodiversity, pollination and green teams will fade away from their agendas.

After this fallout the financial and economic growth will change.

It'll be left to the environmentalists, horticulturists, botanists, forestry workers and fisheries to keep up the good work.

As a botanist/horticulturist I have seen the cycles of environmental awareness come and go, people in high places thinking because its trendy they know all about it.

I've seen nature change rapidly in the past few weeks, fck all cars on the road, clear skies at night.
    Was walking by the local neolithic wedge tomb in the commons last night and the stars never looked so immense.
    No vapor from airplanes blinding my view.

The air was fresh and clean.

Nature heals much quicker than the so called experts and liars portray.

And I think I'm qualified enough to suggest that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You're qualified enough to dismiss climate change as waffle? What qualification/title would that be exactly?

Strange for a botanist/horticulturist to dismiss protecting biodiversity as an agenda btw, someone with an interest in plants usually feels bad about biodiversity loss, its a rare breed of botanist/horticulturist that thinks reducing it is a good idea, unprecedented in my experience anyway. Do your qualifications lead you to believe we dont have a biodiversity crisis at the moment?

Just out of curiosity, you claim CEOs/politicians are going around endorsing "pollination" lol, whats that supposed to mean?

Thargor wrote: »
    You're qualified enough to dismiss climate change as waffle? What qualification/title would that be exactly?

Strange for a botanist/horticulturist to dismiss protecting biodiversity as an agenda btw, someone with an interest in plants usually feels bad about biodiversity loss, its a rare breed of botanist/horticulturist that thinks reducing it is a good idea, unprecedented in my experience anyway. Do your qualifications lead you to believe we dont have a biodiversity crisis at the moment?

Just out of curiosity, you claim CEOs/politicians are going around endorsing "pollination" lol, whats that supposed to mean?

You're very good at twisting my post to suit your own agenda.
    Ill give you 10 out of 10 for gaslighting and manipulation.

Ok reread my post and we'll start again.

I said it'll be up to the usual people to protect the environment when the powers that be get a new toy to play with.

I mentioned people working in fisheries/horticulture/forestry and so on to keep up the good work and manage the ecosystems.

I said that the planet will heal rapidly when its left to its own devises, I worked with people who are all into biodiversity because its trendy and they'll get brownie points for ticking a few boxes.
    But when you're looking for capital to help drive it home you're told that there's no money, but yet they'll spend money on shoite and there's no budget in the coffers for a simple irrigation system or glass house filtration system you're being a pain in the hole.

We have a biodiversity crisis, but believe you me if people want to see how nature comes back and regulates they'll have to be in my line of work for 30 years or so.

Are you a gardener?

Are you working in aquatics?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The planet hasn't been left to its own devices, that's the problem. Farmers still managed to set fire to gorse in Killarney over the weekend, so their sheep can graze there, the biodiversity crisis is alive and well in Ireland.

https://twitter.com/PaschalSheehy/status/1244391869427171334

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

were many sheep grazing "inside Killarney National Park" ?

were many sheep grazing "inside Killarney National Park" ?

Yes sheep graze there. They graze all over most of our uplands along with deer which stops trees from growing unfortunately. It's why most of the Wicklow mountains are so barren and lifeless and look like the moon.

Yes sheep graze there. They graze all over most of our uplands along with deer which stops trees from growing unfortunately. It's why most of the Wicklow mountains are so barren and lifeless and look like the moon.

The Burren is full of mountiney goats as the local Kerry woman says.

There's some right looking ferral goats, they're very noble looking and seem to have a pecking order.
    They roam the Burren in big herds and are nice to observe.

There's a freakish looking one and he's huge, id say he'd take an average red deer stag out in a fight.
    He's a fine looking animal, they have a huge range.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

nthclare wrote: »
    Are you a gardener?

:D

The Burren is full of mountiney goats as the local Kerry woman says.

There's some right looking ferral goats, they're very noble looking and seem to have a pecking order.
    They roam the Burren in big herds and are nice to observe.

There's a freakish looking one and he's huge, id say he'd take an average red deer stag out in a fight.
    He's a fine looking animal, they have a huge range.

I've seen them in Glendalough, cool animals.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Kerrybirder/status/1244958731995099139

Here's more, virus/Greta or not, we still have a biodiversity crisis in Ireland, and farmers setting hills on fire doesn't help.

jeez that looks like an erupting volcano. Shame to see habitat loss like this. If this continues then any domestic grazing animals should be culled from these hills where they are public parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You're very good at twisting my post to suit your own agenda.
    Ill give you 10 out of 10 for gaslighting and manipulation.

Ok reread my post and we'll start again.

I said it'll be up to the usual people to protect the environment when the powers that be get a new toy to play with.

I mentioned people working in fisheries/horticulture/forestry and so on to keep up the good work and manage the ecosystems.

I said that the planet will heal rapidly when its left to its own devises, I worked with people who are all into biodiversity because its trendy and they'll get brownie points for ticking a few boxes.
    But when you're looking for capital to help drive it home you're told that there's no money, but yet they'll spend money on shoite and there's no budget in the coffers for a simple irrigation system or glass house filtration system you're being a pain in the hole.

We have a biodiversity crisis, but believe you me if people want to see how nature comes back and regulates they'll have to be in my line of work for 30 years or so.

Are you a gardener?

Since it's now a topic here,what's your take on the Kerry Gorse fires.....I'm interested in what benefits accrue from gorse burning,particularly in the light of arguements for/against scorching after the Australian situation earlier this year ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

https://twitter.com/Kerrybirder/status/1244958731995099139

Here's more, virus/Greta or not, we still have a biodiversity crisis in Ireland, and farmers setting hills on fire doesn't help.

We get hill fires up here every year, hardly a sheep about the place so no advantage to farmers, little pyro twits who think it's funny

We get hill fires up here every year, hardly a sheep about the place so no advantage to farmers, little pyro twits who think it's funny
    Not that I doubt your statement but you can get natural fires from static and lightning, plus accidental fires from glass bottles.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Not that I doubt your statement but you can get natural fires from static and lightning, plus accidental fires from glass bottles.
    Cheers

They've caught a few of them, usual excuses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Greta must feel that Covid-19 is doing her life's work ! !

They've caught a few of them, usual excuses.
    A spell in prison for this sort of vandalism might deter a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Mother Nature is attacking us now, and that has not much to do with human industry.

You could argue that wet markets played a part in this but the beginning of the virus formed all by itself in the first place.

Thanks Mom.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Paddygreen wrote: »
    How many pieces of fine art have you had exhibited huh?? The article is from the world economic forum btw, the author is far more educated than you. Climate Justice requires a profound readjustment of society. 're-education to facilitate the eradication of toxic masculinity will be one of its main aims.
    Wha ? ?

Advertisement