Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

i_surge wrote: »
    What good does pissing in the wind do?

Those people are still in jail and our planet is still too polluted (regardless of the climate change angle which know one can realistically know for sure.. in which case it is better to use caution than arrogance)

Again, it has already been pointed out that progress has come as an outcome of activism.

Greta had 2 options, sit on her hands and leave it to others with nothing only the expectation that they will fail to do anything, or do what she could and raise awareness. Thankfully she did the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Again, it has already been pointed out that progress has come as an outcome of activism.

Greta had 2 options, sit on her hands and leave it to others with nothing only the expectation that they will fail to do anything, or do what she could and raise awareness. Thankfully she did the latter.

One year later, did the awareness achieve anything?

If climate change is real then anything but radical action won't work as it likely follows some sort of power law. Radical change isn't possible without groud up redesign. A plan.

You can't kill a huge beast with lots of tiny punches. You need something stronger.

All Greta represents is opportunity cost as people get the feels from liking the post and going back to their consumer excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

It's seemingly ok for everyone else who's in public life?

Always comes across a bit pathetic IMO

One year later, did the awareness achieve anything?

Some signs of the impact.

Here
    Climate scientists say Greta Thunberg's efforts are building real momentum

and here
    'Greta Thunberg effect' driving growth in carbon offsetting

NGOs report fourfold increases in investments in carbon-reducing projects in developing countries

Also
    In June 2019, Swedish Railways (SJ) reported that the number of Swedes taking the train for domestic journeys had risen by 8% from the previous year, reflecting growing public concern (reflected in a survey published by the Swedish Railways) about the impact of flying on CO
    2 emissions

Let me guess, this isn't enough, because everything isn't fixed already.

To use your ridiculous analogy, someone wanting to lose weight, wouldn't even get a gym membership because they'd still need to lose the weight having done so.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Really? Eh........... a disturbed teenager travelling round the world on a $10,000,000 carbon fibre yacht (with crew flown in and out from all over the world) urging impressionable children not to attend the free education provided by various governments (or paid for by their parents) in favour of cluttering up the streets shouting dumb slogans before going home to their centrally heated houses on the basis that the same mad girl has discovered something new about global warming or has something new to say that actual scientists with experience and degrees etc don't know

Is this because she is a girl? Do you feel threatened or emasculated at the thought of someone getting praise which isn't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,732 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Is this because she is a girl? Do you feel threatened or emasculated at the thought of someone getting praise which isn't you?

Ah here, you're going off on a tangent saying that.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Is it really necessary to constantly make such puerile remarks about other posters?

Anyway thought youd already very publicly bowed out of the thread a while back - as you had achieved your aim of winning or whatever no? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Greta is keeping the head down lately she must have sorted that whole climate thing out

Man you are ridiculous. This approach is cheap and nasty. Play the ball.

So no significant reduction in carbon, as I expected.

gozunda wrote: »
    Is it really necessary to constantly make such puerile remarks about other posters?

Anyway thought youd already very publicly bowed out of the thread a while back - as you had achieved your aim of winning or whatever no? :confused:

Show's the quality of debate. I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Nope, because she is a moron with nothing to offer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Greta Thunberg must be in a terrible place mentally now.

She was visibly fearful talking about the planet, breaking down so how is she coping with a worldwide pandemic where 800,000 people have died and life is locked down.

I also worry for her physical health. She looks incredibly weak and frail. Her face is a fright.

Look at a recent photo, she is scrawny and narrow like a 10 year old child. Greta turns 18 in 4 months. Imagine walking into a pub and seeing a group of Gretas, you'd feel like you were in primary school. And are there really that many fools who listen to an almost 18 year old who has to wear velcro shoes?

EgCKPnbWoAAjjOA?format=jpg&name=large

I also hate the criticism of those who question the cult of greta, saying she's only a kid etc.
    When a kid starts telling adults what to do, we can fight back. You wanna play a big boy game, you gotta accept the big boy rules.
    Did you ever read a post thats so creepy you felt like you needed a shower afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Truthvader wrote: »
    Nope, because she is a moron with nothing to offer

Surely you don't really think Greta is a "moron with nothing to offer"?

Unfortunately that kinda thing is what we're seeing with regard to the cult of greta on an all too regular basis....

nullzero wrote: »
    Ah here, you're going off on a tangent saying that.

Man you are ridiculous. This approach is cheap and nasty. Play the ball.

So no significant reduction in carbon, as I expected.

Truth hurts it seems.

It seems a plausible reason when there is no argument against her position but just empty comments ignoring the successes borne out of activism and a shrugging shoulders character.

Truth hurts it seems.It seems a plausible reason when there is no argument against her position but just empty comments ignoring the successes borne out of activism and a shrugging shoulders character.

Don't believe you have the gall to be actually proud of such puerile commments and stupid platitudes

Just in case anyone forgets - this is your latest contribution to the discussion directed at a poster for no other reason other than they held an opposing position. Nice!

And you are right and everyone else is wrong?

Still haven't 'won' the thread then I see ...

Don't believe you have the gall to be actually proud of such puerile commments and stupid platitudes

Just in case anyone forgets - this is your latest contribution to the discussion directed at a poster for no other reason other than they held an opposing position. Nice!

The only explanation for such purile argumentation is we are dealing with an immature teenager here.

Telling us the "truth". Yeah... ...

Also what are the woke mechanics of shaming somebody for a perceived loss of masculinity. Some mental backflips there.

"Not a good look" as they say

I'm not here to win anything only to support the ideal of people advocating to make the world a better place.

I rally think my question cut close to the bone given the response. I don't care either way. Someone else aghast at me asking this feels comfortable to suggest I am a teenager and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Boards has become a funny old place. Many current affairs threads descend in to a majority of posters railing against anything originating out of the idea of helping anyone or anything other than yourself. And these posters use the term 'woke' like it is a disease to be not selfishly motivated while simultaneously calling people snowflakes as they lose their sh*t over being called out on their core motivation.

As I said, I'm not here to win anything, I just feel I shouldn't have to allow negativity, jealousy, pessimism and ignorance to have a free reign when I feel that is the extent of any argument aiming to demean someone trying to generate positive action.

I'm not here to win anything only to support the ideal of people advocating to make the world a better place.

I rally think my question cut close to the bone given the response. I don't care either way. Someone else aghast at me asking this feels comfortable to suggest I am a teenager and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Boards has become a funny old place. Many current affairs threads descend in to a majority of posters railing against anything originating out of the idea of helping anyone or anything other than yourself. And these posters use the term 'woke' like it is a disease to be not selfishly motivated while simultaneously calling people snowflakes as they lose their sh*t over being called out on their core motivation.

As I said, I'm not here to win anything, I just feel I shouldn't have to allow negativity, jealousy, pessimism and ignorance to have a free reign when I feel that is the extent of any argument aiming to demean someone trying to generate positive action.

You aren't helping anyone, you are poisoning culture.

You aren't helping anyone, you are poisoning culture.

Says the guy who thinks activism never achieved anything. You think that BS should be ignored?

Happy to pour Roundup on that nonsense.

• Advertisement

Says the guy who thinks activism never achieved anything. You think that BS should be ignored?

You are debasing everything.

People who disagree aren't automatically selfishly motivated as one of many issues with your style of trying to setup the person who doesn't buy groupthink unquestionably as having a serious character flaw.

The other problem is the effect this has on turning people 180 degrees against environmental causes as a reflex.

I never said that. You are misquoting for effect, in keeping with this horrible style of debate.

I never said that. You are misquoting for effect, in keeping with this horrible style of debate.

Your post.
    Protests don't fix anything.

That is exactly the point, for all the awareness nothing has materially changed.

Your post.

Ok you have me there. Well seeing as you still don't have the right to state my opinion for me...there is a proviso "as it applies to this topic"

Anyway love how you ignored the rest.

Just up your game a bit I suppose, much more can be achieved environmentally by not turning people off it with those antics.

Ok you have me there. Well seeing as you still don't have the right to state my opinion for me...there is a proviso "as it applies to this topic"

Anyway love how you ignored the rest.

Just up your game a bit I suppose, much more can be achieved environmentally by not turning people off it with those antics.

Love this, telling me to up my game while forgetting a pretty fundamental statement you made a few hours ago.

And suggesting I am the one turning people against climate action? You also said that you have lots of ideas but aren't going to get in to them here at one point.

So forgive me for taking you, and others, at your words.

Love this, telling me to up my game while forgetting a pretty fundamental statement you made a few hours ago.

And suggesting I am the one turning people against climate action? You also said that you have lots of ideas but aren't going to get in to them here at one point.

So forgive me for taking you, and others, at your words.

"Says the guy who...."

"Im not the one...."

Teenage and extremely tiresome. No one cares about lazy labels erroneously applied with the intent to deflect from questions you don't have answers to. Doesn't work anymore, too transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Anyone who sees this going on today and turns their ire at Greta is either ignorant, or doesn't want action to help the climate.
    Well, no....Either the climate issue is bigger than Greta or it isn't. Either accept that people may ridicule Greta but yet be interested in environment and climate.

Well, no....Either the climate issue is bigger than Greta or it isn't. Either accept that people may ridicule Greta but yet be interested in environment and climate.

This is the 2nd edition of a thread on Greta, That means there have been about 11,000 posts on the topic.

I'm struggling to recall any contributor in that time who argued against Greta but simultaneously offered productive conversation on climate action.

And given the dire situation the climate issue is, if someone were to be genuinely motivated in helping the environment but felt the need to undermine Greta's efforts, given how she has drawn such attention to the conversation then there must be a particularly strong motivation to do so. Hence my question earlier which rattled a lot of cages it seems.

This is the 2nd edition of a thread on Greta, That means there have been about 11,000 posts on the topic.

I'm struggling to recall any contributor in that time who argued against Greta but simultaneously offered productive conversation on climate action.

And given the dire situation the climate issue is, if someone were to be genuinely motivated in helping the environment but felt the need to undermine Greta's efforts, given how she has drawn such attention to the conversation then there must be a particularly strong motivation to do so. Hence my question earlier which rattled a lot of cages it seems.

Give me the means to discuss my ideas with people who know things and can do things so that we could work together and hope to achieve something and I will. Otherwise it is pointless, you are not the type for constructive reasonable talking over and back on options.

And btw you heinously did misquote me, I checked back. Not a good look.

• Advertisement

Haha you can quit with the grandstanding and lionising of your own commentary thanks. Who do you believe you are - Gandhi???? Nope sorry that really doesn't wash :D

You've been back on this thread just a short time and again you've apparently reverted to type flinging ****e at posters simply because they hold an opposing view to you.

And yes your comment as highlighted previously does come across as puerile. If it was written by a teenager - it really wouldn't be surprising tbh.

I take it you have some small deficit in your memory. Was it only 7 months ago when you decided you had effectively brow beaten everyone and declared yourself satisfied and that you were leaving the thread. And yet here you are again - once again flinging ****e instead of any discussion. No apparent change there then.

And to be fair to other posters on this thread - the most noticable and ongoing "negativity, jealousy, pessimism and ignorance" is in your own comments. Dwell on that as you will.

Advertisement