Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    Haha you can quit with the grandstanding and lionising of your own commentary thanks. Who do you believe you are - Gandhi???? Nope sorry that really doesn't wash :D

You've been back on this thread just a short time and again you've apparently reverted to type flinging ****e at posters simply because they hold an opposing view to you.

And yes your comment as highlighted above does come across as puerile. If it was written by a teenager - it really wouldn't be surprising tbh.

I take it you have some small deficit in your memory. Was it only 7 months ago when you decided you had effectively brow beaten everyone and declared yourself satisfied and that you were leaving the thread. And yet here you are again - once again flinging ****e instead of any discussion. No apparent change there then.

And to be fair to other posters on this thread - the most noticable and ongoing "negativity, jealousy, pessimism and ignorance" is in your own comments. Dwell on that as you will.

Seems I've a fan.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Greta going back to school I see!

Nice little sabbatical to travel around europe. Usually people are in college when they do that.

Wonder what class she's going into, 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I see she was doing lessons remotely since last June. Ahead of the curve! Ha
    Nice little sabbatical to travel around europe. Usually people are in college when they do that.

Yes it's a great experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Wonder what class she's going into, 1st?

This kind of pettiness against a girl is just downright odd. It's like you all feel threatened by her or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

This kind of pettiness against a girl is just downright odd. It's like you all feel threatened by her or something.

Not quite as odd as the hysterical subjugation of the herd to this unfortunate girl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hillarious. Funnily enough we see the use of such appeals for this little 'girl and 'child' an all to regular basis tbh . And its little more than disingenuous at best.

She's 17 ffs and a public figure who is well used to using the media to throw opprobrium
    at others but most especially at the adults who ruined her childhood or wtte. :rolleyes:

If you reckon comments like above are 'odd' or ' threatening' then that's not anyone else's problem to be fair..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,861 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mocking the looks of a teenage girl should never be excused, in my opinion. It's just pathetic.

Its what you do when you can't find anything to attack about what the person is saying

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Its what you do when you can't find anything to attack about what the person is saying

Yep and just unnecessary in any discussion like this!

Off topic but the worst for me is the #BeNice crew attacking people's appearance when they don't agree / like them e.g. Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Well, she will no doubt enter politics, and she will do EVERYTHING in her power to tax normal working people into misery - with green taxes - which will only be embezzled anyway by corrupt govts.

This money will do NOTHING to help the environment.
    She'll be OK tho, she will still have her millions and will live the life she wants, whilst the plebs will suffer - so yeah, as a working "pleb" I feel very threatened by her.
    It's the same with all these elites, Hazel Chu etc ... they will still be swanning around in their 201 SUV's or Tesla living in their safe gated mansions - but lecturing the working people how to live.
    F*ck that, I prefer to admire someone like Boyan Slat (who??? - exactly !! who???) who is actually doing something to solve this crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I think the virus has cost her a lot of publicity,
    Harder sell now she's getting older, hobnobbing with politicians and celebrities probably did more harm than good and the boat trip was a huge mistake.
    I'd be guessing that whoever the climate change svengali Louis Walsh type has some other young one lined up to take up the mantle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Away from the eyes of the public and the media circus has Greta/her team been doing a lot of stuff related to climate in Sweden?

Maybe stuff that doesn't grab headlines but actual tangible stuff?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I see she was doing lessons remotely since last June. Ahead of the curve! Ha

Yes it's a great experience!

And you know this because? What's more likley this has been a very difficult time for her parents who seem to have had little or no control over her. From what has been published of her mothers book - it is apparent that from a fairly young age greta has done exactly what she wanted and if she didn't get her way - she screamed and howled and refused to eat her food until they gave in. And not only did they give in - they have given up their own careers and lives for the little darling

Whilst school is undoubtedly the best place for her , I somehow doubt it will make much difference to often out of control teenager / soon to be an adult - god help us. That said I would hope things turn to the better for her and her family. Here's hoping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

JJayoo wrote: »
    Away from the eyes of the public and the media circus has Greta/her team been doing a lot of stuff related to climate in Sweden?

Doubt it, she said herself when asked should the young people supporting her doing the school walkouts etc do something to change their lifestyles - and she said no they should protest ...

That's when I knew we had a cod on our hands.
    Think of the real differences that would be made if kids nowadays:
    • walked/biked to school (instead of Daddy's SUV)
    • replaced their phone every 3/4 years instead of twice a year
    • stopped going on multi trips on ryanair every year ...
    • got more out of clothes ...
    • don't use tumble dryer ... use the clothes line ...

And you know this because?

From travelling around Europe.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    From travelling around Europe.

OK don't quite get that either. Do you mean because you personally benefited from travelling around Europe (I'm presuming as someone over 18) that you're projecting the same benefits would acrue to greta?

Not sure anyone can make that call for her one way or the other tbh. Though that said - at least she has decided to go back to school - despite previoulsy stating that school was a waste of time or wtte. So that's some progress - I hope.

OK don't quite get that either. Do you mean because you personally benefited from travelling around Europe (I'm presuming as someone over 18) that you're projecting the same benefits would acrue to greta?

Well lets hope they do eh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

JJayoo wrote: »

You can bet they are, see the corporate finance backgrounds at the LinkedIn profiles of the team,

Greta’s very corporate children’s crusade
    But this isn’t the full story. In emails, media entrepeneur Rentzhog told me that he “met Greta for the first time” at the parliament, and that he “did not know Greta or Greta’s parents” before then. Yet in the same emails, Rentzhog admitted to meeting Greta’s mother Malena Ernman “3-4 months before everything started”—in early May 2018, when he and Malena had shared a stage at a conference called the Climate Parliament. Nor did Rentzhog stumble on Greta’s protest by accident. He now admits to having been informed “the week before” by “a mailing list from a climate activist” named Bo Thorén, leader of the Fossil Free Dalsland group.

source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's all right lads, we can relax. She's going back to school,

https://www.buzz.ie/news/greta-thunberg-returns-to-school-after-1-year-off-384969?

We should have a party or something, light a bonfire, I'm sure the lads up north have a few spare pallets and tyres from July...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good, she actually broke Swedish school law by playing truant (and encouraging others to break the same law).
    Nothing will come of it of course when you're doing the "good thing".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's all right lads, we can relax. She's going back to school,

https://www.buzz.ie/news/greta-thunberg-returns-to-school-after-1-year-off-384969?

We should have a party or something, light
    a bonfire, I'm sure the lads up north have a few spare pallets and tyres from July...

Who will Saoirse and the other tree huggers genuflect before now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Edgware wrote: »
    Who will Saoirse and the other tree huggers genuflect before now?

To quote from “the Life of Brian” : “ Brian: I am not the Messiah!
    Arthur: I say you are Lord, and I should know. I’ve followed a few.”

biko wrote: »
    Good, she actually broke Swedish school law by playing truant (and encouraging others to break the same law).
    Nothing will come of it of course when you're doing the "good thing".

Which do you think is worse, governments signing up to the Paris Accord and then doing next to nothing to promote activities which will help their countries meet the targets set out within or Greta 'playing truant'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Which do you think is worse, governments signing up to the Paris Accord and then doing next to nothing to promote activities which will help their countries meet the targets set out within or Greta 'playing truant'?

What does this Article 2.1c of the Paris agreement mean? and Cui bono?
    (c) Making finance flows consistent with a pathway towards low greenhouse gas emissions and climate-resilient development.

source

"Them" doing next to nothing is gradually jacking up prices. Don't be poor or live in rural Ireland because you will spend a greater proportion of your funds on energy while wealthier people get tax break on electric vehicles or grants for retrofitting of a house.
    n 2010 a carbon tax was introduced in Ireland. The carbon tax applies to kerosene, marked gas oil, liquid petroleum gas, fuel oil, natural gas and solid fuels.

The rate of carbon tax from 1 May 2013 to 1 May 2014 was based on a charge of €10 per tonne of CO2 emitted by the fuel concerned. The rate increased to €20 per tonne with effect from 1 May 2014.

Budget 2020

The carbon tax on fuel increased by €6 from €20 per tonne to €26 per tonne. The increase applied to auto fuels from midnight on 8 October 2019 and to solid fuels from 1 May 2020.

source

How many more industrial wind parks do we need? and why are operations with large data centers in Ireland such as Microsoft and Amazon getting involved in industrial wind parks?

But what happens when the wind does not blow? This is Ireland surely not!

In recent times a big factor in determining the size of the levy was the price of gas. This is because of the price-setting role of gas-fired plant in the Irish electricity market where the more expensive gas-fired plants are always last to be dispatched.

Under the rules of the market everybody gets the price of the last bid to be accepted. So the lower electricity prices that should follow lower gas and wholesale prices are partially offset by the increasing costs of the PSO. This reduces the benefit we get from lower international gas prices but is part of the price for the assurance of security of supply and the deployment of renewable energy.

Renewables, with their priority dispatch, have a merit order effect in reducing the need for the dispatch of higher cost gas plant. When prices in Britain are lower the East West interconnector can have a similar effect.

source

Experience from Germany shows the more random energy you put on the grid the more expensive electricity becomes, and there are warning signs that those combined cycle gas turbines (CCGT) plants may shutter due to unstable pricing.

A unit of power company Viridian, whose consumer and business arm trades as Energia, posted an €81.5m loss in its last financial year as it slashed the value of its Huntstown 2 power plant in north Dublin by €91.5m during a dispute with national grid operator EirGrid.

That row saw Viridian threaten to close its facilities at Huntstown.

Viridian Power has also heavily criticised the new Integrated Single Electricity Market (Isem), which came into operation last autumn.

source

IMHO Anyone wishing to build a "wind farm" should be required to provide appropriate back-up, almost certainly gas fired to enable guarantees over minimum effective generating capacity. This would focus the mind on the overall economics of random energy generation. For anyone who thinks inter-connectors are the answer our neighbours are also shutting down their coal and nuclear generation plants over the course of the decade and their CCGT plant operators are going bust.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Worse for who exactly ? You or the troubled teenager who was losing out on their education and lifeskills?

Good to see you have educational priorities up there with your logic.

What does this Article 2.1c of the Paris agreement mean? and Cui bono?

"Them" doing next to nothing is gradually jacking up prices. Don't be poor or live in rural Ireland because you will spend a greater proportion of your funds on energy while wealthier people get tax break on electric vehicles or grants for retrofitting of a house.

How many more industrial wind parks do we need? and why are operations with large data centers in Ireland such as Microsoft and Amazon getting involved in industrial wind parks?

But what happens when the wind does not blow? This is Ireland surely not!

Experience from Germany shows the more random energy you put on the grid the more expensive electricity becomes, and there are warning signs that those combined cycle gas turbines (CCGT) plants may shutter due to unstable pricing.

IMHO Anyone wishing to build a "wind farm" should be required to provide appropriate back-up, almost certainly gas fired to enable guarantees over minimum effective generating capacity. This would focus the mind on the overall economics of random energy generation. For anyone who thinks inter-connectors are the answer our neighbours are also shutting down their coal and nuclear generation plants over the course of the decade and their CCGT plant operators are going bust.

You seem to have 3 points in this post.

The Paris Accord is intended to limit mankinds impact (via emissions) on the environment as science as firmly indicated needs to happen. You can play conspiracy theory about who is benefiting or what other dark forces are at play, it doesn't remove the fact that action is needed.

Unfortunately, we have seen that taxes are something which is often required before meaningful action starts to happen. The costs associated both encourage people to seek alternative routes to spend less money or to realise that they don't need to be as wasteful as they have been. Money focuses the mind, pure and simple. I don't buy in to the not wanting people to live in rural Ireland is any bigger an issue here than it is in the general scheme of things in a Dublin centric country. Someone else roundly dismissed in her views on climate action was Saoirse McHugh from Mayo who strongly advocated for support for rural Ireland and yet, she is a focus for derision for many.

Whatever the energy source, consistency of supply is an issue. No one is advocating that at acceptable solution is one where there is an expectation of frequent black outs due to absence of wind but that where possible, the wind which is available is utilised.

As for the issues with combinations of supplies etc, yes, we are still transitioning to a cleaner method, some countries are ahead of others and there will be lessons learned and improvements and efficiencies as this continues.

I would have thought it was obvious why large tech companies are getting involved in wind projects. Their data farms use large amounts of power, and demonstrating support for greener projects to supply this is in everyone's interest.

Now, what is key for me here is that you are now talking about the issues and efficiencies of alternative solutions rather than whether action is needed or not and as such I take it you have accepted there is a need for action. If so, I hope to continue to see conversation around ideas and solutions instead of dismissal and ridicule for someone trying to bring about the change that is needed.

Worse for who exactly ? You or the troubled teenager who was losing out on their education and lifeskills?

Good to see you have educational priorities up there with your logic.

This sentence makes zero sense. Was it supposed to be thought provoking or insulting?

This sentence makes zero sense. Was it supposed to be thought provoking or insulting?

Simply an observation of the complete lack of logic in your posited pseudo-dilemma 'which do you think is worse" bolloxology. .

But you already know that. Take it as an insult if you wish to or maybe try and reflect on what you are writing prior to posting.

Simply an observation of the complete lack of logic in your posited pseudo-dilemma 'which do you think is worse" bolloxology. .

But you already know that. Take it as an insult if you wish to.

Taken straight from the 'Don't challenge my statements' school of debate. On a discussion board no less.

The forum was a lot nicer while the most irritating poster I've ever encountered anywhere on the internet was dormant.

• Advertisement

Also a sheet 4 times the size of the UK looks like it may break off antartica soon

https://www.thejournal.ie/antartica-ice-platform-at-risk-of-collapse-5187157-Aug2020/

I'm sure it's all part of a natural cycle

Advertisement