Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

biko wrote: »
    Greta could easily have done her protesting on her own time, or used her parent's wealth to promote her cause.
    Instead she broke Swedish law.

I suppose you're a "the end justifies the means" kinda guy?

And you're the 'sure there's no point doing anything, unless its complaining about migrants' kinda guy.

Takes all sorts I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

1970?? What a lack of imagination she would only prevent ABBA. Just imagine a world with no "Dancing Queen". If she had a time machine then she should go back where it started 20,000 years ago when it was supposedly 6C cooler and prevent man using fire.

CuuoqeqUIAIuMYr.jpg

You now owe me a new keyboard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

This country depends on exports, no exports no money to put fuel in Mammys X5 to take you to whatever protest is flavour of the week,

My mother bought a leaf years ago, I have been raising her awareness for years now, big Duncan Stewart fan, I got her into Duncan, she’s weak for him. That said, I usually cycle or get the dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

apologising for terrorism is certainly a new angle in her campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

apologising for terrorism is certainly a new angle in her campaign.

I misunderstood that Greta tweet so deleted my post.
    Her tweet was referring to a different issue altogether to that of declaring XR a terrorist organisation in the UK.

edit: point still stands though; who is writing her tweets and why is she interfering in British political affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

All in All, I’d Prefer a Greta Funberg if there is One Available ! !

Looks like our greta will have some interesting competition at next year's Nobel Peace Prize awards

Current nominees include amongst others:

Boris Johnson
    Kim Jong-un
    Greta Thunberg
    Black Lives Matter
    Donald Trump
    Vladimir Putin

Now that a party I'd like to be fly on the wall at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

gozunda wrote: »
    Looks like our greta will have some interesting competition at next year's Nobel Peace Prize awards

Boris Johnson
    Kim Jong-un
    Greta Thunberg
    Black Lives Matter
    Donald Trump
    Vladimir Putin

BLM are up for a peace prize?:pac: Irony overload.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The science is settled.
    First time in human history we have settled a science.

Greta like most rich kids, needs an avenue to support a cause. She ignores poor countries and focuses on wealthy countries.
    To bring people/populations out of poverty wee need energy. We are not at a point to switch off carbon based fuel, the cleanest alternative is nuclear, which receives worse press than fossil fuels.

AGW theorists are not willing to debate, which is at times resembles a religion.
    If Greta really cared, she would drop all her luxuries. It's the hypocrisy, takes a train and thinks that that's better!!!

She will fade as she grows, as her appeal to the media was her age. Soon she will be like any other campus kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

TomTomTim wrote: »

Kim Jong-un has a better chance of winning it.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    Kim Jong-un has a better chance of winning it.

I can see it now ... :pac:

4eenxo.jpg

I can see it now ... :pac:

4eenxo.jpg

in this category we have a loud mouth dictator that thinks they know everything and that communism won't end in starvation again, using a media controlled narrative and themselves a puppet to a team of powerful advisors carefully co-ordinating their every more, famous for dodging questions of substance and expecting their regime and message to go unchallenged, declaring any detractors as non believers. Its our real champion of propaganda.

The other participant is the leader of North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Well played Sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Boris Johnson
    Kim Jong-un
    Greta Thunberg
    Black Lives Matter
    Donald Trump
    Vladimir Putin

Bashar al-Assad must be very disappointed he missed out on a nomination.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Last year there was a lot of media coverage on the huge fires in California. This year there is virtually nothing

"Over two million acres of land has been burned in California, compared to 118,000 acres burned during this time in 2019"

Almost 20 times the amount burnt yet feck all interest, suppose climate change is old new now?

JJayoo wrote: »
    Last year there was a lot of media coverage on the huge fires in California. This year there is virtually nothing

"Over two million acres of land has been burned in California, compared to 118,000 acres burned during this time in 2019"

Almost 20 times the amount burnt yet feck all interest, suppose climate change is old new now?

the economy is shaky, the climate thing is only for boom time charlatans trying to make a quick buck . Now climate is back with research progress and private industry making innovation in moving forward to lower energy consumption.

I reckon the whole blm thing in the States has wiped everything else of the board tbf - even the Pandemic.

The other thing is that there is a need to be careful in assigning direct cause and effect to such fires. Many of the wildfires in California in 2018/2019 were found to at least partially caused by a failure to upgrade electrical infrastructure there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50697816

TomTomTim wrote: »

A Terrorist organisation going for the Nobel Peace Prize ~ ~ George Orwell did tell us of such things ! ! !

Its because the Antifa / BLM Terrorists can’t measure up ! !

Covid
    US Presidency
    Brexit Shenanigans
    BLM

Greta in fairness is continuing to advocate the same message, meet with groups involved in legislating for it and doing her strike.

So much for all those who said she would stop when she stopped getting the same level of attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

blinding wrote: »
    Its because the Antifa / BLM Terrorists can’t measure up ! !

It's because 'what ever can get Trump out plus what is best for my social media account'.

Virtue signalling is the currency of social media.

I'm gonna plant loads of trees again this winter and none of ye ***** are having any of the oxygen they produce ye can all feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I heard reports on NPR that Western Oregon, known to be a very humid area like BC and Washington is getting hit with huge wildfires this year. One fire had a 200km diameter as of last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Watch the men behind the curtain, It's all about the money. Gretas backers in the financial community are happy, and for her troubles she is better off by a few hundred thousand dollars, she can afford to protest away to her hearts content.

Now that the commodities traders are involved in a decades time these sub-prime carbon risk bundles will be in our pension funds. This climate rent seeking ultimately impacts us who must shoulder the ultimate cost burden of all these expensive new risk products through higher prices and lower quality of life. A carbon tax always causes cost push inflation, which generally lower income people feel first, because it raises the base prices of everything that is a basic necessity in modern life.

Oil, gas and coal are heavily taxed from the moment its extracted, taxed during processing, taxed in transport, and taxed at the pump. Maybe someone can explain how more taxes on fossil fuels will fix the weather when the current taxes cannot. It should be easy to explain, especially now that the science is settled . . . .

In the meantime the Bank of Englands Mark Carney is pushing a Green Finance Initiative even a new financial system.

Ultimately Greta Thunberg is just a side show.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Watch the men behind the curtain, It's all about the money. Gretas backers in the financial community are happy, and for her troubles she is better off by a few hundred thousand dollars, she can afford to protest away to her hearts content.

Now that the commodities traders are involved in a decades time these sub-prime carbon risk bundles will be in our pension funds. This climate rent seeking ultimately impacts us who must shoulder the ultimate cost burden of all these expensive new risk products through higher prices and lower quality of life. A carbon tax always causes cost push inflation, which generally lower income people feel first, because it raises the base prices of everything that is a basic necessity in modern life.

Oil, gas and coal are heavily taxed from the moment its extracted, taxed during processing, taxed in transport, and taxed at the pump. Maybe someone can explain how more taxes on fossil fuels will fix the weather when the current taxes cannot. It should be easy to explain, especially now that the science is settled . . . .

In the meantime the Bank of Englands Mark Carney is pushing a Green Finance Initiative even a new financial system.

Ultimately Greta Thunberg is just a side show.

Do you think action is needed on the climate?
    What do you think that action should be?

Talking about pointlessness of other ideas, negating the efforts of others has less than zero positive impact, I'm curious if you are doing so because you think there is no need, or if it is some other reason.

Do you think action is needed on the climate?
    What do you think that action should be?

We do as we've always done as the climate changes, we adapt to the environment, it is why we are here and generally successful despite several serious attempts to wipe us out as a species over the previous millennia.

Climate which is a statistical average for a region measured over 30 years, will always change based on cycles with or without our presence and aside from localised urban heat island effects our impact on the climate is statistically imperceptible from natural cycles that we don't understand and can't measure.

Eventually most people will become aware that the current energy schemes are ineffective and wasteful of scarce resources and even governments will not be able to keep subsidising these white elephants.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

We do as we've always done as the climate changes, we adapt to the environment, it is why we are here and generally successful despite several serious attempts to wipe us out as a species over the previous millennia.

Climate which is a statistical average for a region measured over 30 years, will always change based on cycles with or without our presence and aside from localised urban heat island effects our impact on the climate is statistically imperceptible from natural cycles that we don't understand and can't measure.

Eventually most people will become aware that the current energy schemes are ineffective and wasteful of scarce resources and even governments will not be able to keep subsidising these white elephants.

So, you don't think any action is needed, is that your position?

So, you don't think any action is needed, is that your position?

I have issues to deal with that are within my personal purview that require my action, adopting pseudo-moralistic stances on subjects like climate so I can virtue signal in front of my friends and people I meet is not meaningful action.

I have issues to deal with that are within my personal purview that require my action, adopting pseudo-moralistic stances on subjects like climate so I can virtue signal in front of my friends and people I meet is not meaningful action.

Is that a yes or a no?

Is that a yes or a no?

maybe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Is that a yes or a no?
    His position - from way back - is that there is no unacceptable level of warming.

Advertisement