Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

gozunda wrote: »
    I dunno you seem to kinda come across as a middle age man yourself Thelonious. Im confused - Are you saying because you are - it makes that age group losers? That's not very nice is it Thelonious ...

Picturing the enemy as a fat white guy that looks kind of like your dad is textbook lefty college politics stuff, shouty impressionable types who think their dads views are prehistoric compared to what theyre being spoon fed in 1st semester diversity lectures. Its to motivate them more, “youre not fighting a highly researched and funded movement or group of intelligent economists and political thinkers, youre shouting at your da for saying something a bit off colour after a few cans on christmas day”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Picturing the enemy as a fat white guy that looks kind of like your dad is textbook lefty college politics stuff, shouty impressionable types who think their dads views are prehistoric compared to what theyre being spoon fed in 1st semester diversity lectures. Its to motivate them more, “youre not fighting a highly researched and funded movement or group of intelligent economists and political thinkers, youre shouting at your da for saying something a bit off colour after a few cans on christmas day”

I know nothing about Greta Thunberg really, I just like that she brings attention to some issues I think are important, but you have all these blokes who seem to go out of their way to find information about her background etc., mock her appearance, come up with crazy conspiracy theories about her, and if Twitter is anything to go by they're all the same, middle aged blokes attacking her whenever they can. I think they're just worried about losing money or something through carbon taxes, I can't understand why else they don't want a cleaner less polluted planet.
    And I'm not textbook lefty at all, I've had a few temporary bans from this site for saying things about certain ethnicities for e.g.! I cycle to work and I believe that there is a biodiversity crisis and that capitalism is ruining the planet, so I don't know what that makes me but people make serious assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There was a poster on another thread over the last few days who told a story about laughing at college graduates who are working in service jobs for poor money while they themselves have a high powered car with no 3rd level education.

I bet the vast majority of people who read that particular post pictured a loud, brash, middle aged man and figured the reason for such a car and laughing at others is in an attempt to overcome low self esteem issues.

Anonymous online forum though it is, people can't complain about being perceived as a fat middle aged man with regressive views while simultaneously spouting about lefty college politics and impressionable types, using Hitler in arguments while suggesting Greta might not even be literate despite what she has achieved, and done what she has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

There was a poster on another thread over the last few days who told a story about laughing at college graduates who are working in service jobs for poor money while they themselves have a high powered car with no 3rd level education. I bet the vast majority of people who read that particular post pictured a loud, brash, middle aged man and figured the reason for such a car and laughing at others is in an attempt to overcome low self esteem issues.

Anonymous online forum though it is, people can't complain about being perceived as a fat middle aged man with regressive views while simultaneously spouting about lefty college politics and impressionable types, using Hitler in arguments while suggesting Greta might not even be literate despite what she has achieved, and done what she has done.

The first highlighted bit - thats not " the majority" btw that's your personal twist on anyone you apparently disagree with. The poster you lampoon could as easily be a tradesperson / self employed / male or female / in their twenties or any other age with those views tbh

You see the second highlighted bit just there Tmh? That's known as attacking the poster.

Attacking people by labelling them fat/ bald / black / white / male / female just because you disagree seems to be something you are extraordinarily fond of doing on an "anonymous forum". And its bull**** because you have no idea of who anyone is other than your own bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Lets return the discussion to a more civil levels folks.

Lets also return to discussing the topic at hand rather than each other.

• Advertisement

The whole greta et al circus thing is certainly a gift that keeps on giving lol. There's something for everyone apparently....

This the latest which popped up on the climate newsfeed tab. Now you can certainly query the source but I'd reckon our greta is in good company there
    CLIMATE CRISIS

The climate emergency will be over by 2026 and Swedish activist Greta Thunberg will return to a more normal life.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8852847/British-astrologer-predicted-Covid-reveals-whats-really-going-happen-six-months.html

So good news for us there and good news for greta :pac:

But wait there's more. For the bashers on here apparently obsessed with "middle aged fat men" no less. There's this.
    Not least, men becoming ‘happier, more whole human beings after shedding their toxic masculinity,’ the patriarchy ‘going up in smoke’, the United Kingdom splitting into four completely separate countries and Italy ‘very likely’ leaving the EU next year. 

But all that only after we’ve embraced the festive season.

Indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I know nothing about Greta Thunberg really, I just like that she brings attention to some issues I think are important, but you have all these blokes who seem to go out of their way to find information about her background etc., mock her appearance, come up with crazy conspiracy theories about her, and if Twitter is anything to go by they're all the same, middle aged blokes attacking her whenever they can. I think they're just worried about losing money or something through carbon taxes, I can't understand why else they don't want a cleaner less polluted planet.
    And I'm not textbook lefty at all, I've had a few temporary bans from this site for saying things about certain ethnicities for e.g.! I cycle to work and I believe that there is a biodiversity crisis and that capitalism is ruining the planet, so I don't know what that makes me but people make serious assumptions.
    Greta is simply not a ubiquitous vehicle everyone must choose if they want to protect the planet. When did this ever become a thing that if you don't support greta, you hate the planet or some such? There's many people here who want a cleaner greener planet, but you are attacking them, I can argue in a pleading voice "do you not want a cleaner greener planet", Or is love of Greta more important? Look I know this (social and fun = antisocial and angry) is your safe space to indulge in a bit of ageism but you might want to address how you speak to people, some of your posts are toxic, and polluting my green and clean space online.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1318793614995169280

Greta or whoever wrote this tweet is right. We can kiss goodbye to biodiversity if this goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

Greta or whoever wrote this tweet is right. We can kiss goodbye to biodiversity if this goes through.

Of course they did ... The agri lobby is strong

Id say its more correct to say Greta hasn't a clue as usual.

Reared as a child of wealthy parents in one of the wealthiest countries in Western Europe - it appears greta has set her sights on the EU common agricultural policy. The same policy which supports agriculture and keeps the price of food affordable as her next big bad beasty. As Greta accuses MEPs of ‘surrender' on climate and environment because the european parliament voted to continue payments for the production of all types of food....

Yeah thats right greta. Farming and providing people with affordable food for means no one pays any attention to the environment whatsoever. Guess the kid better stop eating altogether.

Considering that agriculture is responsible for less than 12% of all European ghgs emissions. That agriculture feeds people and that the EU has already committed to significant decreases in all ghgs across all sectors including agriculture, reduced production and ever increasing environmental controls obviously means fek all to the rich kid from Sweden who likes to blame all the adults for ruining her childhood or wtte.

• Advertisement

i guess ER and David Attenborough aint friends no more

Any word on where Greta falls on this one?

i guess ER and David Attenborough aint friends no more

Any word on where Greta falls on this one?

Why whats up with DA?

extinction rebellion have turned up at his actual door protesting because he said he disagreed with disruptive protests

they even apparently knocked and wanted him to come out

94 years old, and a pandemic on

tbf ER aint Greta, let's see where her advisors tell her she stands on this one

but it shows that the "correct by association" strategy of argument in this thread is fairly lightweight.

does everyone who waved DA as a kingmaker previously now disagree with Extinction Rebellion and disruptive protest?

We await with interest.

True. Greta is on record at one of the ER protests in Parliament Square London calling for 'civil disobedience' and for people there to 'rebel'. 

So I'd guess she'd be backing them all the way then....

If I remember correctly they did something similar to the former head of the Labour Party ...

gozunda wrote: »
    True. Greta is on record at one of the ER protests in Parliament Square London calling for 'civil disobedience' and for people there to 'rebel'. 

So I'd guess she'd be backing them all the way then....

If I remember correctly they did something similar to the former head of the Labour Party ...

You'd be guessing wrongly.

You'd be guessing wrongly.

Haha. Love the way some seem to have the inside track on our greta. I wonder does the Fan club do bulletins? :D

Remember it was greta calling 'civil disobedience' and for people to 'rebel'

That seems to line up nicely with ERs attitude about protesting. Something David Attenborough doesn't seem to agree with.

Ah well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

After the fires last season, rainfall in Australia is expected to be greater than average this season as La Nina's normal effects take hold. I wonder will Greta be tweeting about that. Of course, if there do happen to be floods from it, they will of course be attributed to agw.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/mjo/#tabs=Weekly-note
    Issued 3 November 2020
    Northern Australia likely to be wetter than average in coming months
    As La Niña strengthens, with further cooling of waters across the central tropical Pacific Ocean during the past week, Australian climate outlooks indicate a high chance (greater than 70%) of above-average rainfall across most of northern Australia in the coming months.

La Niña is typically associated with above-average rainfall across much of northern Australia during the early wet-season months of October to January. For the second half of the wet season, until the end of April, above-average rainfall is mostly confined to eastern Queensland, although much of the Northern Territory and parts of far northern Western Australia typically observe marginally above-average rainfall. As a result, the 7-month northern wet season (October to April) normally sees above-average rainfall totals across northern Australia during La Niña.

Monsoon arrival (at Darwin) is normally earlier during La Niña, with an average date around mid-December, compared to the average date of around 28 December.

Recent climate models indicates the current La Niña is likely to persist until at least the end of February 2021. The Bureau's model, along with many of the surveyed international models, also predict the current La Niña is likely to be a relatively strong event, suggesting rainfall and flooding impacts are likely to be relatively strong, based on historical precedents.

Read more about the El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO)

Tropical cyclone activity update
    While 1 November marks the official start of the Australian tropical cyclone season, there are no indications of tropical cyclone activity developing in the Australian region in the next few weeks. More generally, the broadscale wind and surface pressure pattern across the tropics indicates widespread rainfall and tropical weather is likely to be confined to the northern hemisphere for some weeks yet.

During La Niña years, the first tropical cyclone to form in the Australian region occurs about two weeks earlier than the normal date—based on data since 1970, the average date during La Niña years is 16 December.

In the northern hemisphere, tropical storm (ex-typhoon) Goni (Rolly) is forecast to continue moving westwards across the South China Sea towards Vietnam. A second tropical storm, Atsani (Siony), currently lies just east of the northern Philippines, and is expected to strengthen as it moves slowly westwards in the coming days. This storm could potentially reach typhoon intensity (equivalent to an Australian category 3 tropical cyclone) as it passes close to the far north of the Philippines.

Tropical cyclone information and warnings for this area available at the Japan Meteorological Agency

Madden–Julian Oscillation over the Pacific Ocean
    A weakening pulse of the Madden–Julian Oscillation (MJO) is currently located over the tropical central Pacific Ocean, east of the Date Line. This pulse is moderately strong but most climate models suggest it will weaken in strength while moving eastwards towards the tropical Americas in the coming week. An MJO pulse in the central Pacific region would typically enhance rainfall across parts of northeastern Australia at this time of the year. The influence of the MJO on tropical Australia reduces considerably as it moves further east towards the Americas.

I enjoyed this quip from our Greta today, a response to Donald's earlier quip telling Greta to chill

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1324439705522524162

I enjoyed this quip from our Greta today, a response to Donald's earlier quip telling Greta to chill

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1324439705522524162

Sounds like they're well matched tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Greta come back, we miss you. God (if he exists) be with the days when the media was wall to wall non-stop 24-7 Greta saturation coverage. Simpler times guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Greta come back, we miss you. God (if he exists) be with the days when the media was wall to wall non-stop 24-7 Greta saturation coverage. Simpler times guys.

Sales of "How DareYou!" Stickers for the back of boy racer cars will be well down

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Sales of "How DareYou!" Stickers for the back of boy racer cars will be well down

I miss her menacing stare. It’s the little things.

Paddygreen wrote: »
    I miss her menacing stare. It’s the little things.

Commenting on BLM from a position of extreme white privilege probably didnt do her any favours either,

https://www.thejournal.ie/global-warming-warning-un-5325449-Jan2021/
    The UN weather agency said the warmest three years on record were 2016, 2019 and 2020

I think we're in for some fun times in the coming decades. It's amazing the apathy shown towards the subject, even if global warming isn't man made. I know many who comment on the journal and here don't buy the science - the way we're destroying the natural world to suit our consumer mad lifestyles surely can't end well.

https://www.thejournal.ie/global-warming-warning-un-5325449-Jan2021/

I think we're in for some fun times in the coming decades. It's amazing the apathy shown towards the subject, even if global warming isn't man made. I know many who comment on the journal and here don't buy the science - the way we're destroying the natural world to suit our consumer mad lifestyles surely can't end well.

They oversold the concept and turned it into a spurious revenue raising scheme for governments, would you buy a used car off Eamon Ryan?

They oversold the concept and turned it into a spurious revenue raising scheme for governments, would you buy a used car off Eamon Ryan?

this is the problem, no real solutions were proposed, just the usual tax based cash grab, the working world got sick of hearing it.

this is the problem, no real solutions were proposed, just the usual tax based cash grab, the working world got sick of hearing it.

You really expect a young girl to walk in and you you the solutions so you can continue driving your SUV around the city?

Like you can just ignore the problem when there isn't an easy solution.

Did they? All I can think of is Fine Gael raising carbon taxes to try and get in line with the Paris Agreement they signed up for, and to I presume try and get people to use fuel more sparingly.
    Not a great strategy.
    I don't get the Eamon Ryan reference either, if it's something to do with the greens and diesel cars, at the time the car industry was telling us that was the cleaner option, hardly Eamon's fault.

And for sure Greta wasn't any solution either. You certainly don't have to love or believe in her shenanigans of travelling the oceans in a 'carbon free' multi millionaire's yacht , then blaming all the adults for ruining her childhood and having tantrums about feeling the fear (or wtte) to understand the issues to do with climate change.

Its like having to believe in the tooth fairy to get your teeth fixed.

• Advertisement

You really expect a young girl to walk in and you you the solutions so you can continue driving your SUV around the city?

Like you can just ignore the problem when there isn't an easy solution.

yeah stopping me driving my fleet of V8 powered cars around the city isn't going to help in real terms, nor were paper straws, a carbon tax etc..

the solution needs to be carrot based for Europe, stick based for Africa and Asia.

Advertisement