Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta Thunberg (Continued...)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why do some people think it is legitimate to damage other people's property?

At a guess, because they have never had to work for anything they have.

Which "artist" are you referring to?

Does the mural painter own the wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

In case you ever wondered why Greta was put on this pedestal in the first place, here you have it.

I dunno. I think people appreciated the novelty of a young girl speaking up on such an important issue. There was a novelty element to it.
    I don't know why it got on some people's tits so much TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

the mural is an eyesore to be honest. shouldnt be up there at all..its certainly not art. the young locals who live in the vicinity and are forced to look at it all day everyday are no doubt sick of the constant political messaging and virtue signalling these days...they've every right to object to it. even if that means destroying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I feel sorry for the right wing crazies who are intimidated by a young woman. She has probably achieved more in the last few years, then they have achieved or will achieve in their entire lives.

Must be the same right wing crazies who hate Luke Kelly

Nonstory, but reminds the coat tails that she is still around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

I dunno. I think people appreciated the novelty of a young girl speaking up on such an important issue. There was a novelty element to it.
    I don't know why it got on some people's tits so much TBH.
    They know exactly what they're doing, pushing her out in front implying "I dare you to criticise her". Anyone who does is "intimidated" or a "right-wing crazy" as said above.

There's better ways to bring attention to climate change than exposing a teenager to this. Seeing her unable to string a sentence together when asked a question off-script, it's sad really. I feel bad for her and the people using her as a pawn should be ashamed of themselves.
    Doesn't she already have some mental illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I feel sorry for the right wing crazies who are intimidated by a young woman. She has probably achieved more in the last few years, then they have achieved or will achieve in their entire lives.

We don't know what 'wing' they are and it doesn't matter. Could be teenagers. They're douchebag vandals is the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

She doesn't have a "mental illness", she is autistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

She doesn't have a "mental illness", she is autistic.
    I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Which "artist" are you referring to?

Does the mural painter own the wall?

I suspect that you quoted the wrong person?

I didn't refer to any artist.

I doubt the mural painter owns the wall, but the wall owner may have given permission or even commissioned the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Like why not paint something a bit more hopeful, an inspirational quote with Greta planting a tree or something instead of her looking like she's taking a painful sh1t.

I remember the first time I saw Greta, it was on a video encouraging people to plant trees, the general messages was everyone can help and do something positive even if it was just some pot plants.

But now it's all very bleek

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

JJayoo wrote: »
    Like why not paint something a bit more hopeful, an inspirational quote with Greta planting a tree or something instead of her looking like she's taking a painful sh1t.

I remember the first time I saw Greta, it was on a video encouraging people to plant trees, the general messages was everyone can help and do something positive even if it was just some pot plants.

But now it's all very bleek

She looks like an angry Virgin Mary tbh.

The religious like devotion makes sense now.

https://youtu.be/-Q0xUXo2zEY

This is the video I am referring to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They know exactly what they're doing, pushing her out in front implying "I dare you to criticise her". Anyone who does is "intimidated" or a "right-wing crazy" as said above.

There's better ways to bring attention to climate change than exposing a teenager to this. Seeing her unable to string a sentence together when asked a question off-script, it's sad really. I feel bad for her and the people using her as a pawn should be ashamed of themselves.

So what? She might be genuine herself. Slagging off climate change is people's choice. I think it's obvious how happy some people are she's old enough to insult. I think it's a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Her childhood was stolen.

Everyone give her a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Her childhood was stolen.

Everyone give her a break.

by her parents and the corporate interests she was sold to.

In decades to come she will write a book about how everyone took advantage of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

I feel sorry for anybody who felt they got educated on climate control from a child who very likely could not describe what catalytic converter is.

climate change was never and should never be a left vs right issue , but left wing crazies have made it a political cat fight

True Marxism. Divide and Conquer. Congrats for falling in line like a common brainwashed sheeple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Greedy people have a problem with people shining a light on climate issues. Greta is not saying anything new but she has brilliantly brought climate issues front and centre. It angers people because it tweaks their conscience and makes them feel embarrassed about their greed and selfishness.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Greedy people have a problem with people shining a light on climate issues. Greta is not saying anything new but she has brilliantly brought climate issues front and centre. It angers people because it tweaks their conscience and makes them feel embarrassed about their greed and selfishness.

Dirtyden what have you done to tackle climate change? Apart from the virtue signalling of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

dirtyden wrote: »

It's been 'front and center' for years. Long before Greta came along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's been 'front and center' for years. Long before Greta came along.

She is forcing us to rethink it though, as our attempts thus far, have largely failed to address the problem, in fact, things are deteriorating faster now than ever before

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    She is forcing us to rethink it though, as our attempts thus far, have largely failed to address the problem, in fact, things are deteriorating faster now than ever before

Like the Greens in Sweden who decided to shut down clean Nuclear Power and replace it with Coal and Oil based power?

Like the Greens in Sweden who decided to shut down clean Nuclear Power and replace it with Coal and Oil based power?

Yup, unfortunately nuclear has a bad wrap, for obvious reasons, we may live to regret this one, time will tell I guess, and no power creation method is truly 'clean' for the moment, including alternatives such as nuclear

Rethink what? What new concrete policies (and I don't mean fluff like declaring a climate emergency) have come about because of Greta? How has our thinking changed compared to, for example, when 'An inconvenient Truth' was released in 2004?

It remains still, that climate change will only be stopped/slowed as a result of technological innovation.

Yup, unfortunately nuclear has a bad wrap, for obvious reasons, we may live to regret this one, time will tell I guess, and no power creation method is truly 'clean' for the moment, including alternatives such as nuclear

Sure fusion will along any day now :D

let's hope ITER can finally put paid to that joke though!.

Rethink what? What new concrete policies (and I don't mean fluff like declaring a climate emergency) have come about because of Greta? How has our thinking changed compared to, for example, when 'An inconvenient Truth' was released in 2004?

It remains still, that climate change will only be stopped/slowed as a result of technological innovation.

she is helping with refocusing us on the problem, as our environmental issues have exasperated significantly since inconvenient truth, and no, tech alone will not solve this problem
    Sure fusion will along any day now :D

let's hope ITER can finally put paid to that joke though!.

id go with other nuclear tech such as thorium tbh

she is helping with refocusing us on the problem, as our environmental issues have exasperated significantly since inconvenient truth, and no, tech alone will not solve this problem

id go with other nuclear tech such as thorium tbh
    When did we lose focus exactly? Climate change has been a big issue for years. The Paris climate agreement predates Greta for example. Every extreme weather event that occurs is immediately followed by 'is it a result of climate change'.

Tech innovation will be the main driver. The idea that humans are going to change their behavior as drastically as is required to slow/stop the changing climate is wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

JJayoo wrote: »

These points have nothing to do with Greta but the painting was done solely to get a reaction, being vandalized = fantastic.. = attention.

I saw her on the the news during the week painting it... she looks exactly as you would expect, I would imagine she is triggered 100% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

nobody is intimidated by Greta , she is a mere front
    it is who is behind her.

It's a brilliantly nefarious move, front your globalist movement by an autistic child so nobody can say anything bad about you.

The only people to blame here are her parents for putting her in this position.

• Advertisement

When did we lose focus exactly? Climate change has been a big issue for years. The Paris climate agreement predates Greta for example. Every extreme weather event that occurs is immediately followed by 'is it a result of climate change'.

Tech innovation will be the main driver. The idea that humans are going to change their behavior as drastically as is required to slow/stop the changing climate is wishful thinking.

gimme a fcuking break, most, if not all our measures so far have failed since all of these attempts, and again, tech alone will not solve this, it will require everything, including our behavioral changes, to achieve what needs to be achieved

Advertisement