Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike Air-vest.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Oh god. Is "peaked my interest" the new "tow the line" ? :eek:

Evolution unfortunately.

See also:

"Chomping [champing] at the bit" and "baited [bated] breath".

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

I've had the Helite Turtle (black) for almost 4 years. I wear it over the jacket and under a hi-vis vest. This has kept it in perfect condition.
    You get used to carrying the extra weight and clipping in. I also wear a back pack but it must be worn more loosely as the vest needs room to inflate quickly. Also never set it off accidently the few times I forgot I was attached to the bike.
    The annual safety check seems to be fairly new. There's a video on their website showing you how to check the vest yourself. It's all about ensuring there is no dirt or grit in the spring/trigger mechanism.

Regarding the Chinese version, I'd stay well clear. It may look similar but would you really risk your life on it? Nobody with sense would buy a cheap Chinese helmet so why this.
    It needs to inflate in a fraction of a second, become rigid to lock helmet etc in place, and withstand abrasion or a hit. I doubt the Chinese version has even been tested to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just waiting on mine to arrive into stock. That chap only stocks the GP AIR vest off the shelf so he is getting mine in for me....I will stick a few pics up when I get it.

Also how is the size for you schaffer?

I am normally an XL or XXL (in motorbike stuff) depending on the items...according to the website dimensions I fall more or less into the XL category. But I would need to tighter for wearing with my leathers then when I have it on over the bulky textiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

schaffer wrote: »
    Regarding the Chinese version, I'd stay well clear. It may look similar but would you really risk your life on it? Nobody with sense would buy a cheap Chinese helmet so why this.
    It needs to inflate in a fraction of a second, become rigid to lock helmet etc in place, and withstand abrasion or a hit. I doubt the Chinese version has even been tested to do this.

I agree and this would be my concern straight away but we have a guinea pig now, it would be good to hear first hand what the material is, how fit is etc. Hopefully it won't be too long before the price starts to come down on CE approved versions and vests become as normal as wearing a lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

A guinea pig!
    I resemble that remark.

I'm quite happy to destructively test it - for the benefit of the forum. :)

The way I look at it is this. It's not rocket science. There are only a few components.

1. The firing mechanism, which is just a spring loaded pin that punctures a co2 cartridge. It is held in place by a ballbearing that is pulled away by a tether strapped to the bike.
    2. The bladder. This is just a long balloon that is inflated. It's similar to the ones used in life jackets (Which I have already examined and fired). The main thing to see is how this is routed throughout the jacket, the materials used and any seams or weak points.
    3. The jacket itself. What is it made of, how well is it made, and how abrasion resistant is it?

I will have a look at the Hellite ones as well (I think my local bike shop stocks them).

This isn't a scientific test (before anyone gets up on their high horse). For the sake of €80 it is worth a look.

As regards buying a cheap Chinese helmet, the comparison isn't completely accurate (for me). I have never ridden without a helmet, in my 36 years of riding. During that time I went from cheap helmets to expensive helmets, as I could afford them. Nobody would argue that they aren't essential safety gear. If someone could show me that a cheap helmet would perform as well as one that cost 625% as much, I'd give it pause for thought. But helmets also have other factors like comfort, fit, noise etc.

Airvests, for me at the moment are a "nice to have". And I am not going to spend another €1,000 on a nice to have. If I get the cheap Chinese one and find it is a pile of poo, then I will have learned something. If it fires accurately, looks reasonably well made, and doubles as a florescent jacket, then I would consider it €80 well spent, and will do until I have the money, like the helmets, to get a better one (or two).

And as regards "risking your life". If we aren't wearing them now, how are we risking our lives any more than we already are? An airvest, even a cheap one, is not going to make biking more riskier.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just waiting on mine to arrive into stock. That chap only stocks the GP AIR vest off the shelf so he is getting mine in for me....I will stick a few pics up when I get it.

Also how is the size for you schaffer?

I am normally an XL or XXL (in motorbike stuff) depending on the items...according to the website dimensions I fall more or less into the XL category. But I would need to tighter for wearing with my leathers then when I have it on over the bulky textiles.

I'm a medium/large and went for large. You can tighten the 3 closing tabs/snaps to get the fit right. It needs to fit reasonably snugly but not too tight that its uncomfortable.

And as regards "risking your life". If we aren't wearing them now, how are we risking our lives any more than we already are? An airvest, even a cheap one, is not going to make biking more riskier.

Would you buy an Arai, Schuberth or Shoei from Aliexpress, ebay or a Chinese version that looked identical? I doubt you would take the risk. What look to be identical products (even from the same manufacturer) can meet differing standards depending on the end market.

Without proper testing/certification you don't know if this will do more damage to you in the event of an accident. What if the chord does not release and you are pulled along with the bike? It could work perfectly fine but you won't know until it needs to work. Even then can you be sure all vests meet the same standard?

Each to their own but it's not a risk I would be willing to take.

A guinea pig!
    I resemble that remark.

I'm quite happy to destructively test it - for the benefit of the forum. :)

The way I look at it is this. It's not rocket science. There are only a few components.

Good post, pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. And had I known they even existed I promise I would have been the guinea pig.

Myself and a m8 went over to Mark and collected the Helite Turtle 2 vests, it really is some piece of kit. I personally wanted the Orange vest but is a special order of 6-8 weeks so he kindly loaned me a yellow one till my order arrives in. Cant say fairer then that.....

Very impressed with the build quality and the built in back protector (non removable) is very good (CE level 2) also vest has very good adjustability with straps on both sides adjustable not just one side.

I got an XL for over both the Textiles and Leathers, if I was just in leathers I would prolly get the L as you can let it out.

My Aliexpress vest will be a while, all post out of China is stopped, obviously.
    Then again, it's not as if I'll be taking the bike out in this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

:confused::cool:;)

My Aliexpress vest will be a while, all post out of China is stopped, obviously.

Eh, apart from an hour or two in the morning the weather is brilliant lovely crisp dry days with the merest suggestion of sunshine.....

You need to broaden your approach to the seasons my friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Claud 14.7 to 1

Philipx wrote: »
    There's a video doing the rounds, released by UK police, of a head on collision with a bike & car.

Apparently the rider was wearing an air bag jacket & while he suffered serious injuries, all concerned were in no doubt that he would have been killed without it.

I have been considering one lately, getting older, bones more brittle :(:(

Wow flipping hell... he did a stoppie head first into the car. That's crazy. Hope he was not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

After following this thread I bought a used for one riding season (according to the seller) on German eBay for a very decent saving over new.
    While I had reservations about buying a safety device like this used it looks to be in great condition and as I can't take it back to Ireland on a plane with the co2 cannister attached will have a chance to test it tomorrow before I fly.
    Inbuilt Back protector has better coverage than most jackets, hi Vis replaces wearing a high Vis and it looks to be a sturdy bit of kit.
    For the price paid and additional safety this is a no-brainer.
    Might be a suggestion to check the second hand market and look for people who are giving up riding for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭H_Lime

After following this thread I bought a used for one riding season (according to the seller) on German eBay for a very decent saving over new.
    While I had reservations about buying a safety device like this used it looks to be in great condition and as I can't take it back to Ireland on a plane with the co2 cannister attached will have a chance to test it tomorrow before I fly.
    Inbuilt Back protector has better coverage than most jackets, hi Vis replaces wearing a high Vis and it looks to be a sturdy bit of kit.
    For the price paid and additional safety this is a no-brainer.
    Might be a suggestion to check the second hand market and look for people who are giving up riding for whatever reason.

Brill, what brand is it?

H_Lime wrote: »
    Brill, what brand is it?

Helite turtle 2. Was considering buying new and just started checking eBay and a few showed up. 60% reduction on new price and considering how straight forward they are if they've never been crashed seemed like a smart purchase.

Well to be honest 30 euro will tell you if its working in 2 secs, bring a canister with you to a 2nd hand meeting and set of the jacket...if it works cool if not you dodged a bullet for 30 quid.

Personally I aint buying a 2nd hand one, no chance....but that is down to personal preference. If it works perfect, if you get scammed you down 250-350 euro. Id rather save for a extra few weeks and get a new one with warranty.

I am absolutely trilled with my orange one and its very comfortable to wear and great piece of mind, and it has reduced my bulk considerably.

Stay safe mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I was very interested in an air vest but €500 x 2 (for wife) was a bit too rich for me.
    Ordered one of these https://a.aliexpress.com/_sZnzBM
    Thinking that I need a new hi-viz anyway so I'd nothing to lose.
    I have a few spare cartridges so can test it when it arrives.

from China ?? glwt. There's no way at that price it's anywhere like established manufacturers in EU. Esp not safety gear.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I'd go with a second hand one if it was shown to be uncrashed in. They seem a simple enough design if the model is the pull lanyard type. Any pics of it Howard?

H_Lime wrote: »
    I'd go with a second hand one if it was shown to be uncrashed in. They seem a simple enough design if the model is the pull lanyard type. Any pics of it Howard?

Tried to attach a pic but wouldn't work, sorry.

So, I set it off last night. Worked perfectly. Very strange sensation. Like a bear hug. Your back is practically enveloped just like a turtle.

My thoughts on second hand:
    Most(not all) bikers wouldn't sell a broken safety device to another biker
    eBay sellers like to keep 100% positive feedback
    Due diligence is of course required and a bit of common sense.
    Crash damage is easy to spot as is the absence of a cannister of co2 attached. Was it set off in a spill etc?
    Bikers like to upgrade. Helite 1 to helite 2. Helite 2 to the gp version.

Not for everyone of course but I got a great safety device for 400€ off the RRP.
    I would have bought one new eventually if I couldn't find a decent second hand option but it would of taken a few months, as a new biker I've spent an absolute fortune in last 2 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Right, timely subject this: I went to a demo of, and got to try one, this a.m. - including of it being inflated.

Def something I'm going to think about now.

[EDIT] - video added, 9th March : Helite Turtle 2 Airbag Vest

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Well, after much tooing and frooing, the Chinese airvest finally arrived. :)

In fairness, the pandemic didn't help matters, and the supplier was more than helpful, sending out a second unit when the first one went waywards. The second one seemed to jump between the airport and dispatch for a long time, judging by the tracking information, then the supplier intervened and it got moving again.

So what is it like I hear you all ask? I've examined it, taken it apart and dry-fired it, so to speak. I'll upload a video of it inflating later on.

So far I'm impressed. I half expected it to be garbage, but it is well made and had no loose stitching, seams etc. It reminds me of the Richa florescent vest. It is made from 600D fabric, the same as that vest, and the Helite, so looks and feels pretty hard-wearing. It is made of webbing or mesh material on the inside, with a number of well stitched zippers to access the bladder. On one of the photos, I have taken out the bladder and laid it where you can see it, following the path it is positioned on the inside. The bladder is made from pretty thick, flexible rubbery tubing.

I've also blown it up manually and it's pretty much what you'd expect, an inflated tube that runs up, along, down, back up, along, down and around the body.

It is fastened across the front by three robust clips, and has webbing up the back and under the arms, so that it can expand when inflated.

The firing mechanism looks solid, and is fairly simple. A spring, a captive ball, and a firing pin. I've set it off without a gas canister, and it works. It also takes a fair tug to do so, so it would be hard to set off by getting off the bike. It's securely fastened using bolts, to the bladder. It says that it takes 60lbs of pressure to set it off, which is the same as the Helite. I certainly felt a good tug when I got off the bike with it attached, and it didn't fire. It would be difficult to set it off by accident.

So, think of a Richa vest (which are €60 anyway) with the added bonus of an airbag.
    https://www.richa.eu/en/sleeveless-safety-jacket

I don't particularly like the cord that attaches to the bike. It is steel wire, with a clip and a curly bit to give a bit of adjustment. But this can be replaced with a fabric cord and clip, which are available separably. Or can be made from a bodyboard/surf lanyard etc. Not a biggie.

Is it as good as a Helite turtle or turtle 2? Probably not, but at a fraction of the price it certainly has a role to play. It cost €82 delivered, while the turtle2 is upwards of €500.

I haven't seen a helite or hit-air in the flesh, but on videos, it looks like they cover the lower body/arse better, and the bladder is in a more enclosed pathway. In the Chinese one, the bladder is not as enclosed, but can't move around in any case.

On that note, it looks like the Richa, in that it is fully across the front and back of the body, so it will restrict airflow if you have a mesh or vented summer jacket. The helite looks more tube-like so would possibly be cooler.

The gas canister was bought from a marine supplier (CH Marine) for €12. It's a standard 33g one.

I've ordered a second one for my wife.

And to address the idea that I wouldn't buy a Chinese helmet, that is correct, but the only thing below my helmet is my thick head. Under this is my Revit jacket,with CE2 body armour and back protector. Hence, I think of this as an added protection rather than an essential. Hopefully I'll never have to use it, but I'd say it would fulfill the role of an air cushion between me and a hard object pretty well.

So, to sum up. If you have to money to get a helite, or hit-air, absolutely buy one. If you don't, but want to get something that is good value for money, and adds a bit more safety to your ride, then this is worthwhile. At the least it is a good hard wearing florescent vest.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32976637823.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_4093388.subject_1

Great review. Thanks for sharing. The fact you said you've bought a second one is very reassuring.

Great review. Thanks for sharing. The fact you said you've bought a second one is very reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Thread regarding this vest started here :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114312191#post114312191

Maybe merge?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

I'm due a new jacket soon and was looking at the helite airbag jacket.

Could incorporate the air vest and the jacket together instead of buying the two separately.

Anyone have any experience with these type of jacket..?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

stratowide wrote: »
    I'm due a new jacket soon and was looking at the helite airbag jacket.

Could incorporate the air vest and the jacket together instead of buying the two separately.

Anyone have any experience with these type of jacket..?

Don't incorporate together best kept separate in case jacket needs swapping. You can continue on with separate vest in any jacket

I have the Helite Turtle vest 2, dont get the 1st edition the 2nd version is alot better.

So being a tight @rse and not wanting to pay top dollar for an airvest but also skeptical enough not to buy the aliexpress ones, I eventually found a couple of video of the Chinese and Thai air vests, they did not inspire confidence, in some of the vids they were noticeably slow to inflate, sometimes 1+ seconds, didn't inflate fully or didn't inflate at all. While i was down the rabbit hole I found a vest that ticked most of my boxes, price, cosmetics, coverage and firing speed, I've held off on pulling the trigger until now and just received the Bering C protect.

So for those of you who are a bit tight like me or want the best bang for their buck at least, it was less than 350 with a 10% discount, it seems to be available through the usual continental sites FCmoto etc. I got mine on motocard. Shop around though as 370 was the standard but there's definitely cheaper than this if you look. I've just tried it on and it fits perfectly over my current gear. Review videos show the firing time is very impressive and is in line with all the usual suspects. The gilet or vest itself is made from a softshell, I'd have preferred something with more abrasion resistance but my jacket has that anyway so felt this was as close as I'll get without spending twice the money.

I hope it gives an extra option to anyone that's still on the fence and might be holding off because of the eye watering prices some vests sell for. Safety equipment shouldn't be that expensive.

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    So being a tight @rse and not wanting to pay top dollar for an airvest but also skeptical enough not to buy the aliexpress ones, I eventually found a couple of video of the Chinese and Thai air vests, they did not inspire confidence, in some of the vids they were noticeably slow to inflate, sometimes 1+ seconds, didn't inflate fully or didn't inflate at all. While i was down the rabbit hole I found a vest that ticked most of my boxes, price, cosmetics, coverage and firing speed, I've held off on pulling the trigger until now and just received the Bering C protect.

So for those of you who are a bit tight like me or want the best bang for their buck at least, it was less than 350 with a 10% discount, it seems to be available through the usual continental sites FCmoto etc. I got mine on motocard. Shop around though as 370 was the standard but there's definitely cheaper than this if you look. I've just tried it on and it fits perfectly over my current gear. Review videos show the firing time is very impressive and is in line with all the usual suspects. The gilet or vest itself is made from a softshell, I'd have preferred something with more abrasion resistance but my jacket has that anyway so felt this was as close as I'll get without spending twice the money.

I hope it gives an extra option to anyone that's still on the fence and might be holding off because of the eye watering prices some vests sell for. Safety equipment shouldn't be that expensive.

Seems you might have found a happy middle ground there Zube. That's financially achievable for me unlike the software and battery operated jobbies.
    It's tig welder money but that might have to wait now:eek:

Advertisement