Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon cancelled order charge

Options
  • 27-01-2020 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I cancelled an item straight away on Amazon within 5 mins since it was a mistake
    credit card charged €596.62 and today it says UNAUTHORIZED CREDIT €572.40, so i'm missing €24.22
    Do i contact the bank regarding this? i don't understand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

KilOit wrote: »
    Hey,

I cancelled an item straight away on Amazon within 5 mins since it was a mistake
    credit card charged €596.62 and today it says UNAUTHORIZED CREDIT €572.40, so i'm missing €24.22
    Do i contact the bank regarding this? i don't understand

Did you read amazons t&cs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Dav010 wrote: »
    Did you read amazons t&cs?
    Yes, can't see anything in it regarding discrepancies on cancellations

Maybe someone in the know about credit cards will know this but i imagine no money is actually swapped here and this charge will disappear from my online banking in a few days? debit and credit just cancel each other out even though there is a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Yes, can't see anything in it regarding discrepancies on cancellations

You were charged in £ and refunded in £, probably rates changed and unfortunately you are the one losing on this. Try talking to amazon about it, they might refund a difference

Mike3549 wrote: »
    You were charged in £ and refunded in £, probably rates changed and unfortunately you are the one losing on this. Try talking to amazon about it, they might refund a difference

I did, they just say they have refunded me and they are clear. do i have any comeback on this? contact bank? it's credit card so hasn't come out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

I did, they just say they have refunded me and they are clear. do i have any comeback on this? contact bank? it's credit card so hasn't come out

If they charged you in €, refund should be the same, if you picked currency £ or wanted to use parcel motel or other 3rd party couriers based in uk, then they charged cc in £, and refunded in £. Unfortunately you lost on exchange rate differences and prob were changed exchange fee (which was €9.45 in my case) twice.

If you cancelled your order and they accepted the cancellation then you will get all that you paid back. Might take a few days though.

Just read on Amazon that no money is transferred till 5 days or item ships whichever is first.
    They issue the bank the full amount on purchase as a place holder so I'm hoping this all disappears.

Also wrong on exchange rates, I've always paid pounds and they have always issued exactly what came out my bank. I just never cancelled a item before

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Also wrong on exchange rates, I've always paid pounds and they have always issued exactly what came out my bank. I just never cancelled a item before

They give you a bad exchange rate. If you pay in euro your normal card will give a better rate.

The rate at which they buy/sell sterling from you will not be the same, there will be a spread. Also the rate fluctuates so time between purchase+refund will also widen the spread.

I got burned by this too, for about e20 on a ~e550 purchase. For this reason I prefer to use amazon.de/fr rather than uk.

sugarman wrote: »
    All credit cards have a 1.75-2.55% fee in Ireland for paying in any currency other than Euro.

Debit cards vary from 0-3% but come with maximum capping of around €12.

Its why I use Revolut. 0%.

This why the my error happened, i generally use Revolut and i clicked the credit card by mistake, i have like 5 cards on my Amazon account.
    so €596.62 paying as £ on Irish credit card vs €586.70 on revolut, not huge but better in my pocket

• Advertisement
Advertisement