Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel mug.

• 27-01-2020 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a travel mug that doesn't add an unsavory taste to coffee? I've tried various different ones but they all seem to add a plastic or metallic taste to the coffee?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

aldi have borosilicate glass ones in at the moment.
    https://www.aldi.ie/blue-reuseable-glass-travel-cup/p/700990330977401

4.99 to you if you can still get one

None of them have a decent mouthpiece regardless. You’d be better off re-using the shop one 5 or 6 times if you’re worried about pollution. Except insomnia.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I bought a zojirushi travel mug from Amazon a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Unreal heat retention, miles better than anything I had previously used. Scalded the gob off myself on the first outing so be warned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

I bought a zojirushi travel mug from Amazon a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Unreal heat retention, miles better than anything I had previously used. Scalded the gob off myself on the first outing so be warned.

I have a Zojirushi, like you said great heat retention and it's better than plastic and most others for taste but still not perfect. I think a trip to Aldi tomorrow for one of those see how that goes.

How do you find it 'not perfect'? Few mugs are going to retain heat and have the coffee taste the same as a portion of what what we taste is associated with our sense of smell. Close lid cups can't facilitate everything.

There's no leeching or the like from the zojirushi.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kenz

I've had two of these Bodum Vacuum Travel Mugs - Simply the best I've tried:

https://www.bodum.com/ie/en/11068-01-travel-mug

How do you find it 'not perfect'? Few mugs are going to retain heat and have the coffee taste the same as a portion of what what we taste is associated with our sense of smell. Close lid cups can't facilitate everything.

There's no leeching or the like from the zojirushi.

I get a slight metallic taste, not as bad as some mugs I've tried but still there.

Why did you prefer them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rachaelf750

Kenz wrote: »
    I've had two of these Bodum Vacuum Travel Mugs - Simple the best I've tried:

https://www.bodum.com/ie/en/11068-01-travel-mug
    The best mug I’ve ever used, you can pick them up in tkmax. €18.00 I think and the best money you will ever spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I got a Sttoke 3FE Cup for a Present for Xmas.

They seem to be out of stock now but Badger and Dodo have them:https://badgeranddodo.ie/shop/sttoke-8oz-ceramic-cup/?utm_source=IGShopping&utm_medium=Social

I really like it, don't burn your hands and keeps the coffee warm for long.

I've also a glass Keep Cup which Id recommended. Much better than the plastic keep cups which seem to retain the coffee taste and goes stale.

Why did you prefer them?

I prefer the Zojirushi out of those I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Soilse

Monkey cups an Irish company and made from glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,720 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hard to beat the glass keepcups to be honest.

I've had a few other types (Frank&green, huskeecup, ecoffee bamboo cup) and the mouthpiece on them is just nowhere near as simple as the keepcup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

mossie wrote: »
    I prefer the Zojirushi out of those I've tried.

Super cup. Best I've ever had. Keeps hot drinks hot for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Depends if you want a real travel mug or just a reusable cup for the office etc. imo - the new keepcup thermals look good but are in no way leakproof.

The Zojirushi is a perfect all rounder imo, and completely leakproof so if you want to put it in a bag etc. and also keep it hot for a long period it's hard to beat.

For a reusable cup in the office, I really like the huskee cup - I want to be able to drink the coffee straight away and not wait for it to cool, and it's only for my desk so doesn't need to be spill/leak proof. Have the Zojirushi for on the go though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

the lid on a KeepCup is the best I've used, there is no flavour from it at all.

I also have a Bodum Stainless, but I can't get on with the heat retention at all, when I make a coffee in the morning I want to drink it on my 30 min commute. I use it as a flask these days, but an actual flask would be preferable if I was going on a longer journey.

The point about cups with lids is also well made, if you aren't getting aroma you aren't getting full flavour anyway.

I've 2 KeepCups, one I got from Bailies and one I got free in work, it's work branded, and there are a load in the canteen cupboard just abandoned so I might rescue them and buy some new lids and sleeves for friends and family.

All glass, not the plastic version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭dball

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/travel-mugs/tefal-red-travel-mug-360ml/074960.html

HAve one of these since Christmas, great mug and very good at not leaking.

drinking black coffee - it stays very hot for at least 2 - 3 hours.
    milky coffee doesn't seem to hold the heat as much, but i guess its not goin in as hot when its made.

9/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Nespresso travel mug, keeps coffee warm all the way from Dublin to Cork in the car (2.5hr) and still warmish on the way back if there is any left.

Cast aluminium and a fancy lid on it.

I've had one for maybe 6 years? Goes in the dishwasher too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

why would you need one mug of coffee to last for 2.5 hours or more?

My 'mug' the Zojirushi, holds about 700ml. I fill it at 7am and bring it to work. It's left on my desk and I'll go back to it after meetings or appointments etc. throughout the day. If i dont get to it until 4pm it's still hot so I'm happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭dball

why would you need one mug of coffee to last for 2.5 hours or more?

I bought a bean to cup machine a few months back.
    Now i'm not a massive coffee drinker ( previously using a nespresso machine and consuming 4 or 5 pods daily - generally a double shot milky latte twice and another shot in the course of a day at home - I do work from home mostly)

Since buying the thermos - i have found myself making coffee that tastes twice as nice - i've converted to a americano style coffee only, I make a double shot ( 2 x single shots) and sip away on it for 2 to 3 hours. I find its always there when i want a hot drink. I cant remember the amount of times i used to sit at my desk, think of some phone call or email i had to complete - look over my desk and see a stone cold coffee sitting there.

I have found i drink a lot less coffee but a lot more time consuming a nice cup.
    Black coffee mostly :)

Advertisement