Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galibier Mistral Foul Weather Jacket Sizing Query.

Options
  • 27-01-2020 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Thanks to the bargains megathread, I have gone and bought a Galibier Mistral Foul Weather Jacket, I ordered a size up from normal jacket sizing (XL, I normally wear L), but this jacket feels very snug.(tight)
    It would probably be okay with just a Jersey, or one layer, but anything more and it would be very tight. I had a pen in my shirt pocket, and you could clearly see it.

My question is this - how snug should this be? Or have I just gotten a size too small?

The offer is over, but I'm sure they'll swap sizes for me.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

It’s supposed to be a fairly snug fit and designed for your body position on the bike, try it on with your cycling kit on rather than in the office or whatever, if you can try a quick spin round the block with it on in the dry even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

This jacket won't require much more than a decent LS baselayer unless it's the coldedt of days.

My guess is it will be fine with cycling gear ad Miklos said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

dahat wrote: »
    This jacket won't require much more than a decent LS baselayer unless it's the coldedt of days.

My guess is it will be fine with cycling gear ad Miklos said.

This....
    You ain't going to need any more than a light base layer underneath that jacket. It's supposed to be a snug fit too.
    I was out yesterday. Average temp 1 degree for the 3.5 hours. Lowest temp was -1. Got caught in a hail shower and then a downpour for about 15 minutes. Hands and feet nearly froze off me but the jacket kept my torso warm. Had a second pair of gloves with me so changed them when the rain stopped. Didn't have a second pair of shoes though 😰😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Mine just arrived today, I usually wear a medium (large in Castelli), ordered a medium and think it's a perfect fit based on 1 layer underneath.
    It feels much warmer than my Gabba / Perfetto too so am looking forward to giving it a whirl.
    I also bought an Izoard quilted gilet, on first impressions am very impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Mine just arrived today, I usually wear a medium (large in Castelli), ordered a medium and think it's a perfect fit based on 1 layer underneath.
    It feels much warmer than my Gabba / Perfetto too so am looking forward to giving it a whirl.
    I also bought an Izoard quilted gilet, on first impressions am very impressed with it.

I have a wardrobe full of Galibier stuff and just find that it is quality stuff ... whenever looking for new cycling gear they are always my first place to look at (and no i don't work for them) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Tight = warm. My gabba squeezes my ribs it’s so tight. Mistral is looser but I got a size up to give me the right length. It’s my go to for < 5 degrees

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    I have a wardrobe full of Galibier stuff and just find that it is quality stuff ... whenever looking for new cycling gear they are always my first place to look at (and no i don't work for them) :)

Yeah anything I have from them I'm very impressed with. I've ended up sending a few bits back before because of sizing issues (ie winter tights just weren't right for me in either M or L but I am pretty tall and skinny). Anything that's fitted I've been really pleased with.

This time around I got the Jacket, Gilet & Aqua Crono overshoes. They threw in a free pair of neoprene overshoes with a note on the receipt saying they'll keep me warmer than the aero ones :D

I wore the gilet this morning to test it given it was 1 degree on my way in, I arrived in well toasty!

I wear the warm neck gaiter right through the winter, they sent me that previously as a gift too :)

Yeah anything I have from them I'm very impressed with. I've ended up sending a few bits back before because of sizing issues (ie winter tights just weren't right for me in either M or L but I am pretty tall and skinny). Anything that's fitted I've been really pleased with.

This time around I got the Jacket, Gilet & Aqua Crono overshoes. They threw in a free pair of neoprene overshoes with a note on the receipt saying they'll keep me warmer than the aero ones :D

I wore the gilet this morning to test it given it was 1 degree on my way in, I arrived in well toasty!

I wear the warm neck gaiter right through the winter, they sent me that previously as a gift too :)
    Certainly can't knock them --got a few freebies they have sent me as well ..which have come very useful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Got my Mistral yesterday and wore it this morning on the way in. I got an L and it's certainly very snug on me. At the minute I'm 86kg and 1.82m, I've shifted about 7kg over the past few months and wouldn't really want to put any of that back on fitwise, but the intention is to shed another few kg over the coming months anyway. I was wearing it with a long sleeved baselayer underneath this morning with temps around freezing and while not cosy, I wasn't frozen either. If it had been a longer spin than the half hour commute, I'd say I'd have warmed up nicely. If I need more layers, it'll usually be a gilet on top anyway so the lack of layering underneath doesn't really bother me.

Lovely bit of kit and I think I'll be coming back for more. Icing on the cake - it colour matches my Croix de Fer :D

genesiscroixdefer20ltd2015-angle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Decided to take everyone's advice, and stick with the tight look.
    Went out for a short spin today, and it certainly didnt let any cold in, comfortable to wear while cycling, I guess I was more concerned about the optics of it.
    Three fine big pockets on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a Gabba, size XXL, well worn, beyond due for replacement.
    I ordered Galibier size XXL, which arrived a couple of days ago.
    The Galibier is a full size larger, It's wider and the sleeves are longer.
    I reckon Galibier size XL is the same as Castelli Gabba (or replacement) size XXL.

That sounds right to me, if anything my M Mistral is slightly more generous than my Gabba / Perfetto in L.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

As said above certainly warmer than you would think. Two Sundays ago it was cold and only had a base layer underneath

Only gripe is how high pockets are. Would never use it racing for this reason

Have to just add that on Monday i sent a Ventultra jacket back to them (had the jacket for about 1 1/2 years) and only recently had an issue with it not zipping up correctly ...anyway sent it off to them to see if they could fix it and back in the post this morning --was a complete replacement of the jacket ... have to say great service

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bendip

never really got on with gilets, till i tried the izoard, excellent warmth and visibility with the orange side out (reversible) and galibier were extremely helpful with excellent service and support

Advertisement