Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Given false generic interview feedback

Options
  • 27-01-2020 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Got an email a couple weeks ago that's been bugging me and I don't know what to do

I interviewed with for a graduate role before Christmas and got the rejection email a couple days before Christmas with them saying I'll get a phone call with feedback within 2 weeks

I was only emailed last week but one of the 2 points made was that use of the STAR method would have given more structure to my answers. Not only did I use it, I literally said "Well to use the STAR method......", and went on with my answer to the question.

I emailed back asking for either a phonecall or some sort of answer as to why this is, to no response. When I later met a friend who interviewed on the same panel, he got the exact same email word for word, except he didn't use STAR so his was at least truthful

It's not the not getting the position that's annoyed me, fair enough if there's better candidates, but it's bs to be given false "feedback". Leaving bad interview feedback on Indeed or Glassdoor will just be swamped by the mostly positive stuff the place has so I don't know what to do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

If they cant be trusted to give proper feedback then just put it down as a bullet dodged and move on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    If they cant be trusted to give proper feedback then just put it down as a bullet dodged and move on.

+1.

I imagine they were too lazy to give proper feedback to everyone.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Most people want a job they are applying for but sometimes wanting the job they forget you are also going to want to work with the people interviewing you. If they can't give courtesy of giving appropriate feedback to your individual discussion then that says enough. Mark it up to a learning exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I can understand your annoyance OP, I would also be pissed off.

One thing that stands out to me is that you mentioned they said that you would get a phone call with feedback, while the feedback itself then came in the form of an email. OK, that in itself is probably OK (to be honest with you it is rare enough to get any form of feedback at all these days), but my next step then would have been to call them directly and to politely point out that the email you received seemed destined for someone else, as you had clearly used said method, etc. I find that one tends to make much headway when using the telephone in such instances rather than email.

Just a tip for the future, and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

It appears there could be a gap between the desired corporate culture ('We want to be open an honest with our employees and candidates and provide constrctive and useful feedback') and the reality at the HR-coalface ('We dont have the time or energy to argue with good, but unsuccessful candidates so we'll give generic but useless feedback to tick that 'corporate culture' box).

• Advertisement

I definitely agree that if you offer a candidate feedback then it should be genuine, and certainly not some class of copy-paste email. If you are not willing to make an effort then just offer no feedback at all. I will always offer a 5 minute call to a candidate who asks for feedback, it is not a lot too ask. I will give my honest opinion and leave it at that, there is not back and forth at that stage, you say your piece and wish them all the best.

In the OP's case it sounds to me that someone took the lazy option of a copy-paste response, which ended up being completely incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

ironic that the OP is on a generic unregistered guest account :p

write it off and on to the next one, if HR cannt honour the promise of personal feedback i wonder what else they will fail at

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Almost no company gives honest feedback.

Chalk it up as a learning about how HR works, and move along.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Got an email a couple weeks ago that's been bugging me and I don't know what to do

I interviewed with for a graduate role before Christmas and got the rejection email a couple days before Christmas with them saying I'll get a phone call with feedback within 2 weeks

I was only emailed last week but one of the 2 points made was that use of the STAR method would have given more structure to my answers. Not only did I use it, I literally said "Well to use the STAR method......", and went on with my answer to the question.

I emailed back asking for either a phonecall or some sort of answer as to why this is, to no response. When I later met a friend who interviewed on the same panel, he got the exact same email word for word, except he didn't use STAR so his was at least truthful

It's not the not getting the position that's annoyed me, fair enough if there's better candidates, but it's bs to be given false "feedback". Leaving bad interview feedback on Indeed or Glassdoor will just be swamped by the mostly positive stuff the place has so I don't know what to do

Anyone expecting real feedback from an interview is being unrealistic. No employer is going to give you such feedback because it could potentially leave them open to legal action. You got standard feedback most likely approved by a legal eagle, toss it in the bin and move on.

I take the point that honest feedback is getting rare, but it does certainly still happen. As mentioned I will always offer a five minute call if asked. I have interviewed many unsuccessful candidates who I had a high impression of, but who simply did not tick some of the boxes for one reason or another. I believe it is very useful to offer this feedback if requested, and not just on what the negatives were, but also what I felt went well during the interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

They might have made a mistake.

If I were you I'd move on and stop trying to bad mouth them or get revenge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

skallywag wrote: »
    As mentioned I will always offer a five minute call if asked.

And does your employer give you permission to do so?

Jim2007 wrote: »
    And does your employer give you permission to do so?

Most definitely, in fact it is encouraged. That said, others will not offer feedback, and sometimes because they are afraid it may backfire on them, which I guess is what you may be getting at.

I make it clear that what follows is my own opinion and not necessarily the consensus of everyone the person met, and I also keep it crisp and to the point. It is also me giving feedback with the candidate listening, and I do not let it turn into a situation where it turns into a debate.

I know that we are all living in a world where everyone is afraid of doing anything for the fear of outrage / legal action etc, but this is not going to stop me giving someone some open and honest feedback which could very well help them when interviewing for their next position.

Advertisement