Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    The Supreme Court, by Ruadhan Mac Cormaic
    https://www.bookdepository.com/Supreme-Court-Ruadhan-Mac-Cormaic/9780241970331

It's not a study guide or anything, just a novel about the history of the courts I believe

That’s the one. Good for Learning the background to cases that often appear as case notes

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

anyone have Equity exam papers/reports for trade please? PM me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

With the "Living with COVID" plan that's about to be released, there's a limit of 50 in indoor gatherings in Level 2, and only 15 at Level 3. As Dublin is going to be initially set at 3, and the rest of the country at 2, could we be in a situation where exams are set at centres outside Dublin to facilitate in person exams, or will it be cancelled for all so that exams take place virtually?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

IgoPAP wrote: »
    With the "Living with COVID" plan that's about to be released, there's a limit of 50 in indoor gatherings in Level 2, and only 15 at Level 3. As Dublin is going to be initially set at 3, and the rest of the country at 2, could we be in a situation where exams are set at centres outside Dublin to facilitate in person exams, or will it be cancelled for all so that exams take place virtually?

I think there are a number of options depending on the situation.
    1. Cancelled for everyone.
    2. Online for everyone.
    3. Online for people in level three and above areas and in person for everyone else.
    4. Postponed for level three areas.

This kind of decision probably won't be made until after the 21st anyway since the Law Society will need to see what their numbers are like as that will probably be the biggest contributing factor to their decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

TCPIP wrote: »
    I think there are a number of options depending on the situation.
    1. Cancelled for everyone.
    2. Online for everyone.
    3. Online for people in level three and above areas and in person for everyone else.
    4. Postponed for level three areas.

This kind of decision probably won't be made until after the 21st anyway since the Law Society will need to see what their numbers are like as that will probably be the biggest contributing factor to their decision.

They have apparently ruled out online examinations ( someone was told this over the phone by the LS when they asked about It being online) though they could change their minds.

In my opinion I see them either pushing ahead with them in person or if the limit is reduced to 15 postponing until the limit is back up to 50

Plus the government will make an announcement Tuesday on these new plans so we’ll know more about the situation for Dublin then!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 arubamuuu

For Criminal are we supposed to be advising in problem questions how many years imprisonment and what fines are applicable to the offences we say the person in question could be convicted of? I've just been learning off the elements and cases for each offence but not the punishment so I'm wondering if I should do that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

arubamuuu wrote: »
    For Criminal are we supposed to be advising in problem questions how many years imprisonment and what fines are applicable to the offences we say the person in question could be convicted of? I've just been learning off the elements and cases for each offence but not the punishment so I'm wondering if I should do that now.

It would definitely be a good piece to include in your concluding advice in a PQ, I would try to learn the punishments if you can. But if you forget it on the day I don't think it would be the end of the world. The criminal examiner is a nice marker too, so if you can't learn them all off I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

arubamuuu wrote: »

Legislation, elements of the offence, and cases would be far more important to know. If you can learn the punishments it would be the icing on top but definitely wouldn’t be learning them off to detriment of the others. Criminal examiner up there with the EU examiner as one of the soundest FE1 markers in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

Could anyone please tell me a few topics that you’d be safe enough leaving out completely for company? Left it a bit late to start and need to cut it down a fair bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fe1

Hey, does anyone have an updated Criminal exam grid? Can swap Property, Tort, EU, Contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Hi all, doing 4 exams and in the process of revising. For Contract I have;
    Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration
    Certainty of Terms
    Estoppel (promissory)
    Capacity
    Privity
    Terms
    Exemption Clauses
    Consumer Protection
    Misrep
    Mistake
    Duress
    Discharge
    Remedies

Anyone have any predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Also, has anyone else's application not been approved yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Has anyone got any reply from the law society with regard to the application for EU and Tort? For those of us waiting on the results on 28th but the deadline being 21st if we do not pay and apply to sit them does that mean they will refuse our late application if we fail them? Confused.com

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

ruby1998 wrote: »

Mine hasn't either, I think it normally takes a week so might take longer (most things seem to be slower at the minute)

Has anyone got any reply from the law society with regard to the application for EU and Tort? For those of us waiting on the results on 28th but the deadline being 21st if we do not pay and apply to sit them does that mean they will refuse our late application if we fail them? Confused.com

When I got through to them they said to apply and pay for them and then they will refund you if you've passed.
    Has anyone else been told this too?

ruby1998 wrote: »

When did you apply ?
    Takes a few working days I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1 glynne

Anyone have the Constitutional paper for March 2020. Have sample answers up to October 2019 if thats any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    When I got through to them they said to apply and pay for them and then they will refund you if you've passed.
    Has anyone else been told this too?
    Haven't heard this but I honestly wished I made the money they think we do. :(
    As if I can do without that money until months down the line when they decide to refund us.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

starting to panic a little with equity, could anyone tell me what are the topics i could be able to leave out / not focus too much on in the next few weeks? appreciate any help!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

fe12020oct wrote: »
    starting to panic a little with equity, could anyone tell me what are the topics i could be able to leave out / not focus too much on in the next few weeks? appreciate any help!!

If I was a gambler going into the bookies..,

Charitable trusts/ cy-pres (a must)
    Injunctions (A must)
    Undue influence (nearly always)
    Tracing for the craic as an extra popping up more recently.
    Estoppel common (but came up last year so I maybe gamble no just have an oul read)
    Dona mortis causa-never came up last time so it’s due and a nice learnable topic. (A must)
    Everything on trustees
    3C’s due a run for either a question or a part question on objects

Could learn the two part question variables depending on your time.

Secrets trusts came up last time as prob question..But could come up again.

Highest fail rate so aim for 5 good questions.

In an ideal world know everything but sometimes you may chance an extra exam or may not have the time. I would personally it go through exam papers and say to myself if I did these 8 topics would I be safe and look through the years. Sometimes this doesn’t work as well depending on the exam but see how you go.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EAA123

Hi does anyone have sample answers for company?

can swap for other materials

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

Jenosul wrote: »
    If I was a gambler going into the bookies..,

Charitable trusts/ cy-pres (a must)
    Injunctions (A must)
    Undue influence (nearly always)
    Tracing for the craic as an extra popping up more recently.
    Estoppel common (but came up last year so I maybe gamble no just have an oul read)
    Dona mortis causa-never came up last time so it’s due and a nice learnable topic. (A must)
    Everything on trustees
    3C’s due a run for either a question or a part question on objects

Could learn the two part question variables depending on your time.

Secrets trusts came up last time as prob question..But could come up again.

Highest fail rate so aim for 5 good questions.

In an ideal world know everything but sometimes you may chance an extra exam or may not have the time. I would personally it go through exam papers and say to myself if I did these 8 topics would I be safe and look through the years. Sometimes this doesn’t work as well depending on the exam but see how you go.

Good luck.

amazing thank you so much for the help!! Really appreciate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

I emailed twice and got no response. So just signed up for Tort again in October. I guess I’ll try and get a refund if I passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fitz_95

Would anyone be willing to share some contract and equity sample answers with me?
    have plenty Tort material to swap if needed
    Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

Lealaw wrote: »
    Mine hasn't either, I think it normally takes a week so might take longer (most things seem to be slower at the minute)

I applied on the 12th and it says mine is approved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Law2020

Hi Guys,

For the people sitting Constitutional Law, what topics are you learning in detail & what ones are you skimming. Feel so stressed as the course is so big and taking me ages to get through. Is there any topics that can be left out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 2020lawfe1

lawgirl23 wrote: »
    I applied on the 12th and it says mine is approved.

Could I ask if you were selecting to sit the exam in Dublin or Cork? I submitted mine on Thursday for Dublin sitting and haven't heard back. I am wondering if they are delaying accepting Dublin in case tomorrow's announcement has an impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 2020lawfe1

glynne wrote: »
    Anyone have the Constitutional paper for March 2020. Have sample answers up to October 2019 if thats any help?
    Yes, I can send this to you! The sample answers would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Law2020 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

For the people sitting Constitutional Law, what topics are you learning in detail & what ones are you skimming. Feel so stressed as the course is so big and taking me ages to get through. Is there any topics that can be left out?

I feel the exact same I defo underestimated the size of it! I only have about 7 topics learned at the moment so still have loadss left to learn on top of my other 2 subjects.. going to be a long 3 weeks :( I still am not too sure which topics to take off the list so I would also appreciate anyone letting me know their plan re which topics they're leaving out!

2020lawfe1 wrote: »
    Could I ask if you were selecting to sit the exam in Dublin or Cork? I submitted mine on Thursday for Dublin sitting and haven't heard back. I am wondering if they are delaying accepting Dublin in case tomorrow's announcement has an impact?

I selected Dublin, no word yet and I applied as soon as it opened on the 8th (I think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Dragons321

I rang the Law Society and they said to apply for the October sitting and if you pass they will refund you. Don't know why they didn't just put that on the website as it would have been a lot easier but anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Just finished my notes on Property Law, do you think this is enough to get 5 Qs.

Finding
    Co-ownership
    Adverse Possessiin
    Licenses & Proprietary Estoppel
    Mortgages
    Easements
    Succession Law

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Just finished my notes on Property Law, do you think this is enough to get 5 Qs.

Finding
    Co-ownership
    Adverse Possessiin
    Mortgages
    Easements
    Succession Law

According to the grids, that should get 6Q's.

2020lawfe1 wrote: »
    I selected Dublin, no word yet and I applied as soon as it opened on the 8th (I think)

I applied on the 9th and selected Dublin and it was approved.
    I didn't get an email to say that it was approved, but when I log back in on the law society website and go to 'my applications' its listed there and the status has changed to 'approved'.

I'm going to predict that candidates that chose Cork will complete their exams in-person; and candidates that chose Dublin will either get a refund or do the exam remotely.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    I'm going to predict that candidates that chose Cork will complete their exams in-person; and candidates that chose Dublin will either get a refund or do the exam remotely.

I'd be surprised if they don't go ahead with universities set to open their doors to students and all schools being back. Once they ensure social distancing and similar to the August sitting, mask wearing for the 3 hrs. The measures in Dublin are to ensure schools and universities can remain open. I'm keeping optimistic

I'd be surprised if they don't go ahead with universities set to open their doors to students and all schools being back. Once they ensure social distancing and similar to the August sitting, mask wearing for the 3 hrs. The measures in Dublin are to ensure schools and universities can remain open. I'm keeping optimistic

Same although universities are mostly online for the first semester nearly no time on campus for most courses which does not sound fun haha.

They’ll either go ahead for everyone or be postponed.

The restriction being imposed in Dublin which have been leaked so far are to encourage people to work from home and limit movement and not visit anyone’s house but there will be no restrictions on movement in or out of the county

So right now I’d definitely say they’re going ahead like the August ones unless something severely changes

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

Lallers96 wrote: »

Finding
    Co-ownership
    Adverse Possessiin
    Mortgages
    Easements
    Succession Law

That’s guaranteed to get you 5. Property is so predictable and really quite easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hiya1234

What are people studying for Constitutional? Trying to find things to cut out but its very difficult...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭FE1Rookie

These rules are so confusing. The government have said 50 people in controlled indoor environments, and 200 in stadia. But on the news at the bottom it says "up to 100 people allowed at larger venues". So which is it?

• Advertisement

FE1Rookie wrote: »
    These rules are so confusing. The government have said 50 people in controlled indoor environments, and 200 in stadia. But on the news at the bottom it says "up to 100 people allowed at larger venues". So which is it?

It relates to sport events

200 people will be able to attend matches in venues capable of holding up to 5,000 spectators.

Grounds with lower capacities will have the number of supporters restricted to just 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Has anybody not been approved yet after applying on the first day :(

Has anybody not been approved yet after applying on the first day :(

Tbh I think once you have paid and it says submitted it doesn’t really matter ! They probs have a lot to work through to click approve but can’t see how they would reject you

It relates to sport events

200 people will be able to attend matches in venues capable of holding up to 5,000 spectators.

Grounds with lower capacities will have the number of supporters restricted to just 100.

Ah okay. That wasn't clear during the press conference at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Tbh I think once you have paid and it says submitted it doesn’t really matter ! They probs have a lot to work through to click approve but can’t see how they would reject you

Was thinking the same, haven't received the link to pay yet just annoying waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Neighomes

Was thinking the same, haven't received the link to pay yet just annoying waiting!

I'm in the same boat. Applied for Dublin as soon as the application came out and it says submitted for review but have not received any further email or link to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 daniel_lane1

Are they on in the Red Cow Hotel again or has that been confirmed yet? Cannot see it anywhere on the website and need to get a hotel booked

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

FE1Rookie wrote: »

If or when Dublin moves to level 3, it will be very difficult to hold indoor exams.

vid36 wrote: »
    If or when Dublin moves to level 3, it will be very difficult to hold indoor exams.

Seems they won't impose further restrictions on Dublin. The cases are very worrying and essentially they've just released a plan and said to dubliners to just "wash your hands" and put them on the same stage as every other county. Complete joke really, release a set of rules that are immediately broken and don't impose any restrictions to those that break the rules. I want the exam to be held physically as I was perfectly comfortable in August doing it but jesus this government are really just making things up as they go along and not imposing rules on Dublin that they've imposed on other counties already.

• Advertisement

Are you a first time applicant ?

I’d just ring to make sure anyway but shouldn’t be much of a problem

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement