Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

FE1Rookie wrote: »
    Seems they won't impose further restrictions on Dublin. The cases are very worrying and essentially they've just released a plan and said to dubliners to just "wash your hands" and put them on the same stage as every other county. Complete joke really, release a set of rules that are immediately broken and don't impose any restrictions to those that break the rules. I want the exam to be held physically as I was perfectly comfortable in August doing it but jesus this government are really just making things up as they go along and not imposing rules on Dublin that they've imposed on other counties already.

The plan for Dublin will be reviewed Thursday.
    Tbh it’s difficult to see Dublin ever being put to the same restrictions due to it being the capital and the amount of people that commute into it for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

2020lawfe1 wrote: »
    Could I ask if you were selecting to sit the exam in Dublin or Cork? I submitted mine on Thursday for Dublin sitting and haven't heard back. I am wondering if they are delaying accepting Dublin in case tomorrow's announcement has an impact?

Sure - I applied for the Dublin sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CSC1997

Is it at all possible that an application might not get approved in time?

CSC1997 wrote: »
    Is it at all possible that an application might not get approved in time?

You’ve done your part you applied and paid

Can’t see how they would not allow people to sit after applying and paying ( would mean more work for them issuing prompt refunds which they will not want to have to do rn)

I wouldn’t worry about it tbh but give them till Thursday maybe and just give them a quick ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

You’ve done your part you applied and paid

Can’t see how they would not allow people to sit after applying and paying ( would mean more work for them issuing prompt refunds which they will not want to have to do rn)

I wouldn’t worry about it tbh but give them till Thursday maybe and just give them a quick ring

if you have applied it does not necessarily mean that you have paid as you need to be approved first and then get a link to pay. I applied on the first day and just received an email half an hour ago with the link to pay, I know its frustrating but im sure they will get around to everyone. And to the people who were worried about middle names, certificates etc My legal name is spelt differently to my ID, i uploaded a picture of my undergrad cert and my postgrad transcripts (even though I selected a Masters as my highest level, just didnt have these forms to hand) and it got approved so I am sure it will all work out for people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

Have they definitely ruled out doing the exams online? The number of cases in Dublin is getting worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Judicial Assistant exam is being conducted remotely interestingly. Although it’s more research based than retaining knowledge.

Have they definitely ruled out doing the exams online? The number of cases in Dublin is getting worrying

According to someone in the fb group she asked about online exams and was told it was ruled out

awsah wrote: »
    if you have applied it does not necessarily mean that you have paid as you need to be approved first and then get a link to pay. I applied on the first day and just received an email half an hour ago with the link to pay, I know its frustrating but im sure they will get around to everyone. And to the people who were worried about middle names, certificates etc My legal name is spelt differently to my ID, i uploaded a picture of my undergrad cert and my postgrad transcripts (even though I selected a Masters as my highest level, just didnt have these forms to hand) and it got approved so I am sure it will all work out for people!

Sorry yes I realized it’s different for first time applicants!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katniss1998

Hi guys,

I am sitting Contract Law and Property Law in October but am working full time until the week before the exams. Anything I can leave out of each to speed up prep time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 BugsySiegel

Hi guys,

I am sitting Contract Law and Property Law in October but am working full time until the week before the exams. Anything I can leave out of each to speed up prep time?

Do you have grids for these subjects. They show you which topics have come up in each sitting so you can make an informed decision as to what to leave out. Im sitting Contract in October and am thinking of leaving out Agency, Capacity and Illegal contracts as they rarely come up. Saying that they are all short topics so will cover them if I have time.
    Definitely dont leave out Discharge, Consumer Protection or Remedies as they appear in most sittings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mooseman12

Anyone have an issue uploading the photo ID? I keep getting a "run time error" message despite following the instruction of no special cases and using a pdf format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Looks like we're going to be in a situation where indoor gatherings of 50 will be permitted in Cork but not in Dublin. I wonder what the plan is from the Law Society, presuming they have one.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Looks like we're going to be in a situation where indoor gatherings of 50 will be permitted in Cork but not in Dublin. I wonder what the plan is from the Law Society, presuming they have one.

If that’s the case my guess is postponed for everyone

Hopefully tho the law society is under the same exemption as colleges so groups of 50 will be allowed with social distancing in place

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

anyone got exam papers please from March 20, on equity, contract and property, or knows what came up!? thanks a lot

Mooseman12 wrote: »
    Anyone have an issue uploading the photo ID? I keep getting a "run time error" message despite following the instruction of no special cases and using a pdf format.

I just did it on my phone and selected a picture ? That might work better

If that’s the case my guess is postponed for everyone

Hopefully tho the law society is under the same exemption as colleges so groups of 50 will be allowed with social distancing in place

That's an interesting point! As schools and colleges are open at basically whatever level we're on, and if Law Society is allowed to follow college guidelines - they can basically hold in-person exams (with limits) without worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

That's an interesting point! As schools and colleges are open at basically whatever level we're on, and if Law Society is allowed to follow college guidelines - they can basically hold in-person exams (with limits) without worry.

The Law Society will press ahead with the exams but don't be under any illusion that they prioritise student health and welfare.People should avoid vulnerable family and friends for 10 days afterwards in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fLawless123

Does anyone know if we need to pay before the 21st deadline in order to have successfully applied or is it enough we have submitted the application for review?

I submitted my application on the 9th and still haven't gotten a reply or link for payment yet.

Tried ringing LS but just kept getting transferred on ending up asking me to leave a message.
    (not helping at all with the stress atm)

Would really appreciate if anyone knows what's the story with the applications....

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

has anyone written out a list of the key dates for training contract applications that they would be willing to share with me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Some Constitutional analysis for anyone interested:

SOP - Every sitting since March 2012. Last paper was very SOP heavy.
    Art 40.3 - Only missed 2 appearances since 2011 (March & October 2016)
    Trial in Due Course - Very popular question, appeared 5 times in last 7 sittings but not in March.
    FO Expreesion - Another very popular topic that did not appear last round.
    Private Property - Appeared in the last 6 sittings.
    Equality - Every second sitting since Oct 2018, no appearance in last paper, may be due a run.
    Family/Education - No appearance in either 2019 paper but featured in March.
    Religion - Featured twice in 2019 but did not appear in March.
    Referanda/Reform - Featured twice in 2019 but not in March, has never gone more than one paper without appearance since 2012.

Cons. Interpretation - hasn't been up in last 3 sittings, never gone more than 3 without an appearance.
    Sovereignty - hasn't been up in last 3 sittings, never gone more than 3 without an appearance.
    President/AG - hasn't appeared in last 4 sittings, may be due a run.

This is just what I have noted from my own analysis of past papers, I am open to correction! Hopefully might help for anyone taking Cons. in October :D

LS3 wrote: »
    has anyone written out a list of the key dates for training contract applications that they would be willing to share with me?

Lots of firms don't seem to be doing Milkrounds this year

Lots of firms don't seem to be doing Milkrounds this year

Ive noticed that alright! a sign of the times...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 student2019

Which firms aren't hiring?

Which firms aren't hiring?

A&L aren’t doing the traineeship applications this year.

That’s all I know so far

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Judicial Assistant exam is being conducted remotely interestingly. Although it’s more research based than retaining knowledge.

I was shortlisted in the end, didn't I tell you all they would shortlist me! ;) Yes, it was a heavily research based assessment, quite different than last year!

Rang the law society twice this week re: March 2020 results, got voicemail the second time, a scan would be fine, work just won't take screenshot, so work think I'm very dodgy altogether with "they're on their way I swear" at this point :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Amanda226

Would anyone be able to tell me what topics came up on the company paper in March 2020? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

Hi,
    Could anyone tell me what came up in March 2020 criminal exam? I’m due to sit it in October. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Does anyone know if we need to pay before the 21st deadline in order to have successfully applied or is it enough we have submitted the application for review?

I submitted my application on the 9th and still haven't gotten a reply or link for payment yet.

Tried ringing LS but just kept getting transferred on ending up asking me to leave a message.
    (not helping at all with the stress atm)

Would really appreciate if anyone knows what's the story with the applications....

In the same boat tried ringing and no reply to emails :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

If Dublin is moved to Level 3 then no indoor gatherings can take place -- is there a strong likelihood they'll do what they did for the likes of Kildare and move them online for the same dates? I've tried getting onto LS about this but of course, nothing

maggie95 wrote: »
    If Dublin is moved to Level 3 then no indoor gatherings can take place -- is there a strong likelihood they'll do what they did for the likes of Kildare and move them online for the same dates? I've tried getting onto LS about this but of course, nothing

They could be under the same exemption as colleges and schools so the exams still might take place in person

I have my doubts they’ll be online due to the amount of students sitting them. They’ve also told someone else that they won’t be online

I say just stick to studying and wait until updated- may not be the best solution but it’s all we can do

maggie95 wrote: »

Mention of the review date for restrictions being Oct 5th too! Wouldn’t be surprised if LS held out until then for a decision! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

They could be under the same exemption as colleges and schools so the exams still might take place in person

I have my doubts they’ll be online due to the amount of students sitting them. They’ve also told someone else that they won’t be online

I say just stick to studying and wait until updated- may not be the best solution but it’s all we can do

If the Law Society have no alternative plan of action now I would rather be informed the exams are being postponed for a few weeks. The torture of having studied for the last set and informed at the last minute that they were cancelled. Such a timewasting exercise and waste of annual leave. I am under no doubt that this will be ongoing for the next two months.

If only they replied to our emails as much as they retweet on twitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

Gavan Reilly reporting that the advice for universities is "that students are only to attend in person for classes/modules which literally cannot be done by distance learning. Everything else is to be remote if at all possible."

It's anyone's guess whether that means FE1s should go ahead or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

In the same boat tried ringing and no reply to emails :(

Same for me !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pengo11

Does anybody have criminal predicitions/reccomendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

HU123 wrote: »
    Same for me !

I got through there about an hour ago, they said they were going through applications this evening and I got a payment link just after I hung up! Don’t worry I’m sure there are an abundance of applications and they’ll approve them all in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

ruby1998 wrote: »
    I got through there about an hour ago, they said they were going through applications this evening and I got a payment link just after I hung up! Don’t worry I’m sure there are an abundance of applications and they’ll approve them all in time!

Thanks !! Can I ask what date you submitted your application?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Sure, I only submitted a new one today because my first one wasn’t accepted!
    HU123 wrote: »
    Thanks !! Can I ask what date you submitted your application?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Off topic, but does anyone else find that manuals are really poorly edited and proofread. Like my 2020-2021 constitutional manual says the most recent referendum was the Marriage Equality Referendum. And in other places entire paragraphs are missing or seem very out of place or the sentence stops half way through as though the rest of it got accidentally deleted.
    It's frustrating because the more mistakes I notice the less I trust everything else that's written there.
    If anyone doesn't have this problem, what manuals do you use so I can go that way next time

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    Off topic, but does anyone else find that manuals are really poorly edited and proofread. Like my 2020-2021 constitutional manual says the most recent referendum was the Marriage Equality Referendum. And in other places entire paragraphs are missing or seem very out of place or the sentence stops half way through as though the rest of it got accidentally deleted.
    It's frustrating because the more mistakes I notice the less I trust everything else that's written there.
    If anyone doesn't have this problem, what manuals do you use so I can go that way next time

I’ve found that aswell - I have Griffith & city colleges!

I find the same, they’re not the best tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Law19

Hi, does anybody have the topics that came up for Property and Criminal in the March 2020 sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Do people think the exams will go ahead after today's announcement that Dublin is going to level 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fe1toomany

Do people think the exams will go ahead after today's announcement that Dublin is going to level 3

Very hard to know - we better continue studying as if they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steveeq

Yes. I have tried three of the providers and have found horrific mistakes in all of them. Also, their exam grids are shocking. You will need to re-do them yourself when you get familiar with the topics. They're not accurate at all in some instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 steveeq

steveeq wrote: »
    Hey,

Just wondering would somebody have a copy of the Company paper from March 2020.

Many thanks.

Getting desperate so just whacking this up again. Would be must obliged if somebody could throw me on the questions, or even a picture of the paper.

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Hiya1234

steveeq wrote: »
    Getting desperate so just whacking this up again. Would be must obliged if somebody could throw me on the questions, or even a picture of the paper.

Thanks a million

Send me a DM. I have it

They definitely won’t tell us anytime soon anyway whatever they decide

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement