Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

In any normal world with a competent Law Society we would receive a prompt email after the announcement of restrictions laying out the plan of the exams, the format it would take, the contingencies in place, refund details, and precautions in place.

Instead, we'll get two weeks of obfuscation, missed calls, ignored emails, disgruntled responses, contradictory information, and a complete and utter disregard for the welfare of candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

hi guys, would anyone happen to have company past papers/sample answers that they would be willing to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

Have just seen an email from University College Dublin sent to students. Says the university will be operating as if they're under Level 4 restrictions, meaning on-campus activity not taking place unless specifically told otherwise, all teaching to be online, and face-to-face lectures/tutorials/labs will either be deferred or take place online. First year orientation taking place online.

Imagine, just for a moment, that the Law Society could be as proactive as UCD in telling students exactly what's happening, before the restrictions are even formally announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lawgrad2020

Hi, does anyone have any property or company sample answers for the past 4/5 sittings. I have plenty to swap in exchange!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Do people think the exams will go ahead after today's announcement that Dublin is going to level 3

That’s the million dollar question! 😂😂

We aren’t being told as we are only the ones sitting the exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

Do people think the exams will go ahead after today's announcement that Dublin is going to level 3

I hope so. I don't think it makes sense to postpone them because no one knows what the situation will be like in a few weeks or even months.. it could be worse than it is now, and the online option is possible.

Have just seen an email from University College Dublin sent to students. Says the university will be operating as if they're under Level 4 restrictions, meaning on-campus activity not taking place unless specifically told otherwise, all teaching to be online, and face-to-face lectures/tutorials/labs will either be deferred or take place online. First year orientation taking place online.

Imagine, just for a moment, that the Law Society could be as proactive as UCD in telling students exactly what's happening, before the restrictions are even formally announced.

Is UCD proactively following level 4 restrictions or have they been specifically informed by government to follow this level? Dublin will be at 3*, so not quite 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

These exams should be going ahead by remote invigilation like the Bar and Accountancy exams , however, the Law Society seems to be hardline against this option and in the end the students are losing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

HU123 wrote: »
    I hope so. I don't think it makes sense to postpone them because no one knows what the situation will be like in a few weeks or even months.. it could be worse than it is now, and the online option is possible.

I wish they’d give us the choice of online or in person

I don’t have the facilities to do online 😢

• Advertisement

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Is UCD proactively following level 4 restrictions or have they been specifically informed by government to follow this level? Dublin will be at 3*, so not quite 4.

I think it's a proactive approach, it seems they're implementing the level 4 restrictions for next week to provide a bit of certainty for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

I totally understand these times are unprecedent well particularly in March. However, I wish the Law Society would offer some sort of certainty or an email to state there will be a plan in place but as above poster mentioned going on past experience this will drag out for weeks now radio silence like the last time. The rest of us will spend the next few weeks slogging and taking annual leave and if the exams get cancelled last minute it will cause an absolute uproar rather than just making a call now. They either should confirm by email that exams are going ahead under level 3 restrictions in person or they are being postponed for a week or two to accommodate all counties (whatever date the level 3 ends) it really is that simple. It would also aid those waiting on results for Tort and EU. I think with a few weeks notice those who are aiming to sit them will have had a enough notice to cancel leave or hotels etc. instead of causing all this hassle in 3 weeks time.

I totally understand these times are unprecedent well particularly in March. However, I wish the Law Society would offer some sort of certainty or an email to state there will be a plan in place but as above poster mentioned going on past experience this will drag out for weeks now radio silence like the last time. The rest of us will spend the next few weeks slogging and taking annual leave and if the exams get cancelled last minute it will cause an absolute uproar rather than just making a call now. They either should confirm by email that exams are going ahead under level 3 restrictions in person or they are being postponed for a week or two to accommodate all counties (whatever date the level 3 ends) it really is that simple. It would also aid those waiting on results for Tort and EU. I think with a few weeks notice those who are aiming to sit them will have had a enough notice to cancel leave or hotels etc. instead of causing all this hassle in 3 weeks time.

The complication for them is that while Dublin will have mostly level 3 restrictions, the restrictions on colleges and universities will mirror level 4.It is hard to claim an exception in that situation but watch them drag it out.

Dead right.

I don't understand how they think this total absence in communication is in any way acceptable. This is the professional body we're supposed to have to deal with for the rest of our legal careers? It's not an overreaction to say that it's a disgrace - they're treating candidates with a total lack of respect. Even if LS don't know what can and can't go ahead under Level 3 restrictions, they need to make a call. Postpone them or put them online, because pretending that they will go ahead, when things could just get worse, is reassuring nobody. They can't sit around for the next 3 weeks waiting for a DM from Stephen Donnelly.

Is there any update on the petition, I see there is 700 signatures (not bad at all). Can anyone confirm if it has been handed into the Law Society? If one of the options of the petition is accepted i.e. later date it would solve the level 3 restriction issue (all going well that it stays at this level).

The amount of money the Law Society takes in for these exams there just is no excuse for all this uncertainty. Had they not opened the August exams to "all" candidates a lot of us would not be in this difficult position paying and studying for exams we may have already passed.

Seriously, who is the master mind behind these decisions what is their thought process behind these decisions, it is mind blowing.

Is there any update on the petition, I see there is 700 signatures (not bad at all). Can anyone confirm if it has been handed into the Law Society? If one of the options of the petition is accepted i.e. later date it would solve the level 3 restriction issue (all going well that it stays at this level).

The amount of money the Law Society takes in for these exams there just is no excuse for all this uncertainty. Had they not opened the August exams to "all" candidates a lot of us would not be in this difficult position paying and studying for exams we may have already passed.

Seriously, who is the master mind behind these decisions what is their thought process behind these decisions, it is mind blowing.

No idea I asked the person who set it up on reddit but they just said there was no update emails were not replied to - said they have emailed it to the individual committee members

They said they contacted the media but I don’t see anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 CSC1997

Can exams even go ahead under level 3 restrictions? I assumed indoor gatherings would mean that it would be fairly difficult to hold in person exams, and the law society rules out online examinations a while back.

CSC1997 wrote: »
    Can exams even go ahead under level 3 restrictions? I assumed indoor gatherings would mean that it would be fairly difficult to hold in person exams, and the law society rules out online examinations a while back.

Depends on If the gathering is defined as educational in purpose maybe

There’s no business or Social gatherings allowed

They may have to change their stance on online exams

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

CSC1997 wrote: »

I don't know if they have definitely ruled out online exams. I was speaking with the LS this morning and they said they don't know if the exams will be online.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

Did they give any indication as to when they'll decide and let us know?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

(I'm just the messenger!)

Ok.. so I've just been on to the Education Officer in the Law Society and she told me it's highly unlikely that the October exams can go ahead, in any capacity. They're awaiting final instructions from the Government and expect to have a notice up on the LS webpage around 6pm.

She said they have been pursuing online options but none of the companies they have been in contact with have the capacity for the FE1s (around 1600-1800) candidates and it won't be available in time for October.

When asked what the alternative was, i.e. postpone till a later date or indefinitely, she said their current plan is to hold the exams either in person as soon as the restrictions are lifted or if an online option becomes available to host it on that platform as soon as they can. She apologised for the uncertainty this will cause candidates but they themselves don't know what the options are.

I asked whether Cork will go ahead as scheduled and she said if Dublin is cancelled then Cork will be too. Only approx. 200/1600-1800 candidates have registered in Cork so it would be of no logistical benefit to host the October sitting.

• Advertisement

maggie95 wrote: »

Ok.. so I've just been on to the Education Officer in the Law Society and she told me it's highly unlikely that the October exams can go ahead, in any capacity. They're awaiting final instructions from the Government and expect to have a notice up on the LS webpage around 6pm.

She said they have been pursuing online options but none of the companies they have been in contact with have the capacity for the FE1s (around 1600-1800) candidates and it won't be available in time for October.

When asked what the alternative was, i.e. postpone till a later date or indefinitely, she said their current plan is to hold the exams either in person as soon as the restrictions are lifted or if an online option becomes available to host it on that platform as soon as they can. She apologised for the uncertainty this will cause candidates but they themselves don't know what the options are.

I asked whether Cork will go ahead as scheduled and she said if Dublin is cancelled then Cork will be too. Only approx. 200/1600-1800 candidates have registered in Cork so it would be of no logistical benefit to host the October sitting.

Well that sucks

Thanks for letting us know !!

Thanks for the update! Appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Thank you for the update! Here is hoping they give us a postponed date (even if they don't end up going ahead on that date haha) rather than it being indefinite, I find it so hard to keep focused without an actual date in mind.

As much as I would rather get the exam sitting over and done with this is a more positive note in the fact that they are offering some sort of certainty now and not 3 weeks' later. The stress of not knowing to take leave or to spend 24/7 studying for an exam that might not even go ahead is just too much. It happened the last time and to be prepared for an exam to be told 15 hrs before it isn't going ahead is absolute torture.

I really hope they confirm a postponed date by Monday so we have some sort of certainty.

It is very difficult for the students who have been preparing but at least there is sufficient notice this time and if online was not feasible, it is the correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Thank you for this update! Awaiting 6pm with bated breath...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

While there is so much worry and stress over the FE1 sittings, just letting everyone know that I saw Arthur Cox announced their Trainee Application will be open Monday 28th.

Hopefully this is a good sign that some of the larger firms will still be recruiting for those of you who would be interested.

Have to stay as hopeful as possible in these times!

vid36 wrote: »
    It is very difficult for the students who have been preparing but at least there is sufficient notice this time and if online was not feasible, it is the correct decision.

It is but with them informing us of some sort of certainty it is saving us 3 weeks of absolute stress, students can still continue to study for the later date and change hotel bookings etc, the unknown is what causes the most amount of stress. At least they are giving some sort of indication thankfully.

I really hope they are only postponed and the sitting can be held at some point this year.

Assuming once the announcement goes ahead the law society will let us know on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

1600-1800 is alot of people already registered and I'm sure some haven't applied yet choosing to wait and see what the story is before applying on Monday. I'm glad I decided to take the wait and see approach.

KMPT wrote: »
    1600-1800 is alot of people already registered and I'm sure some haven't applied yet choosing to wait and see what the story is before applying on Monday. I'm glad I decided to take the wait and see approach.

Yeah I’m now down €315 which isn’t great

• Advertisement

Yeah I’m now down €315 which isn’t great

You'll get it back. Just don't know when. I'm still waiting for the last refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Anyone else struggle to learn the essay Harmonious interpretation for constitutional? I have a Griffith sample and it’s just very hard to get into my head.

It is but with them informing us of some sort of certainty it is saving us 3 weeks of absolute stress, students can still continue to study for the later date and change hotel bookings etc, the unknown is what causes the most amount of stress. At least they are giving some sort of indication thankfully.

I really hope they are only postponed and the sitting can be held at some point this year.

Assuming once the announcement goes ahead the law society will let us know on Monday.

It will be hard to hold it in late 2020 unless they sort out online invigilating, maybe staggered students and setting different papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Feel like we are not going to see an announcement from the Law Society this evening at this stage

dobby896 wrote: »
    Feel like we are not going to see an announcement from the Law Society this evening at this stage

Yeah I’m getting a bit nervous tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bazu

dobby896 wrote: »

God I hope not. I just want certainty. If it's cancelled or postponed, fine, but just let us know in a timely manner. Is that too much to ask for from the LS?

There it is!

"Given the announcement by Government that Dublin is to move to Level 3 of its medium- term ‘Living with Covid-19’ plan for the next three weeks, the Law Society of Ireland has decided to postpone the October sitting of the FE1.

Subject to any extension of the Level 3 status, or any other public health guidance/restrictions yet to be announced, the FE1 sitting will commence in the first week of November, 2020.

Once logistical arrangements have been confirmed an updated exam timetable will issue.

Since the pandemic emerged, the Society has been actively exploring an online option that would maintain the integrity of the FE1 examination. It engaged intensively with a number of providers, none of whom had the capacity to provide an online offering for the October FE1 examination.

The Society’s priority at all times is the health and safety of examination candidates and invigilators, while doing all it can to allow those aspiring to join the profession to progress with their training."

Fair play to the Law Society - this is the type of transparency we like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 baloo21

Announcement just went up.

Postponed until the first week of November

https://www.lawsociety.ie/News/News/Stories/final-examination--first-part-fe1/#.X2TrJdNKho4

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FE.ONE

IgoPAP wrote: »
    There it is!

"Given the announcement by Government that Dublin is to move to Level 3 of its medium- term ‘Living with Covid-19’ plan for the next three weeks, the Law Society of Ireland has decided to postpone the October sitting of the FE1.

Subject to any extension of the Level 3 status, or any other public health guidance/restrictions yet to be announced, the FE1 sitting will commence in the first week of November, 2020.

Once logistical arrangements have been confirmed an updated exam timetable will issue.

Since the pandemic emerged, the Society has been actively exploring an online option that would maintain the integrity of the FE1 examination. It engaged intensively with a number of providers, none of whom had the capacity to provide an online offering for the October FE1 examination.

The Society’s priority at all times is the health and safety of examination candidates and invigilators, while doing all it can to allow those aspiring to join the profession to progress with their training."

Fair play to the Law Society - this is the type of transparency we like to see.

I wonder if the application form with the deadline of the 21st Sep is still applicable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Is there anything we have to do to get a refund, or will the fee just be brought forward to the next sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

This is actually great news everyone -- it gives iamanengine more time to study the papers and come up with predictions for those of us who haven't completed all eight yet!

FE.ONE wrote: »
    I wonder if the application form with the deadline of the 21st Sep is still applicable?

The same date is on the website so I’d say it is and also to stop more applying so at least they have he numbers well in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

Hi!
    Hope most of you are happy enough with the postponement or at least a decision! I was about to apply but if I want to do it in November I presume you still have to apply before September 21st?
    And any predictions for criminal? I have an exam grid up to 2019 If that’s any help. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

hi guys, Im happy enough about their decision, as wanted more time. Anyone please got contract or equity details from March!?

Criminal Procedure and Practice - So right to silence; inferences re s18/19; right to a solicitor in GS questioning/interview; detention; bail, etc. It's one of the most common questions. Weidly the SCC is thrown in with it too.

Along with that, murder/manslaughter + defences. Self-defence + Provocation are the big ones but you have to know all of it. Inchoate offences + joint enterprise gets thrown in with some of the prob questions.

Sexual offences.

Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person.

Courts + nature of crime/criminal offences and all that jazz.

That sort of thing really. Any chance you could shoot me that grid btw? It'd be appreciated

• Advertisement

New deadline is Friday 25th September.

Thanks, where's this coming from? Can't find it on the main LS website.

bazu wrote: »
    Thanks, where's this coming from? Can't find it on the main LS website.

Top of the first page of the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FE.ONE

I would have thought that the new application closing date would be the 28th to correspond with results from the August sitting. I'm waiting on 2 results from August and unsure what to do. I'll probably just apply for both again and if I pass them then hope that the LS will issue a refund..

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

Would anyone recommend any website or anywhere to get my hands on second hand books for law? Mainly Company, Tort, Equity, Constitutional and Property

Looking for a few books for college and these exams and just hoping not to fork out the big bucks and help another broke student along the road.

I know this thread is not for buy and sells just looking for tips, hope that is okay!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement