Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

sh_owens wrote: »
    Maybe we should all take collective action as a student body and pen a letter to the President of the Law Society mentioning our concerns. A lot of the concerns noted by users above are undoubtedly valid and should be communicated to the Law Society for them to consider it.
    Would anyone be interested in getting involved to draft a letter we could send this week? Or does anyone have any contacts in the Law Society we could send this letter to?
    I have sent numerous emails over the last few weeks and I'm aware most candidates have too which have just been ignored.

Does anyone have any other ideas? It seems like collective action as a group might be the only option to communicate our concerns and highlight the unfair treatment us as candidates have received during these unprecedented times.

I agree with a letter as it is quite worrying the stress levels people are experiencing by both the virus which if we get we do not know for certain how our body will react, the future of gaining a contract and studying as mentioned before for exams many if not most solicitors currently practicing did not have to sit! It was very unprofessional and disappointing not to send a collective email.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Law20213

Jenosul wrote: »
    I agree with a letter as it is quite worrying the stress levels people are experiencing by both the virus which if we get we do not know for certain how our body will react, the future of gaining a contract and studying as mentioned before for exams many if not most solicitors currently practicing did not have to sit! It was very unprofessional and disappointing not to send a collective email.

Love good petition and letter but fear will fall on deaf ears

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

I think who ever as one exam left should be given an exemption so we can start the Hybrid in December. This would reduce the numbers you have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Law20213 wrote: »
    Couldn’t agree more but another problem is they opened the Fe1 exams up to college students why....I don’t get either, they should be studied separately for one....and perhaps if they didn’t do that and the number students sitting these exams hadn’t increased as result in the change to the Rules, we would be sitting online exams right now and no Previous cancelled sittings

I feel like they should’ve limited these sittings to those who have already graduated so that they could facilitate for the rest of the candidates

Coopie wrote: »
    I think who ever as one exam left should be given an exemption so we can start the Hybrid in December. This would reduce the numbers you have to deal with.

You can’t give a pass to one and not all it wouldn’t be fair....and there be uproar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Couldn’t agree more but another problem is they opened the Fe1 exams up to college students why....I don’t get either, they should be studied separately for one....and perhaps if they didn’t do that and the number students sitting these exams hadn’t increased as result in the change to the Rules, we would be sitting online exams right now and no Previous cancelled sittings

Yes! This is what I've been thinking. I know they didn't know the pandemic was going to happen when they changed they rules but like why don't they just change them back for this year at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    Yes! This is what I've been thinking. I know they didn't know the pandemic was going to happen when they changed they rules but like why don't they just change them back for this year at least

I’m not sure that would even reduce the numbers by a significant amount - how many college students are actually sitting them

Like either way there’s a good few hundred per exam
    My exam number for both sittings so far have been 2000 and over

I’ve no doubt it has increased revenue for them but has made competition of securing a training contract 10 times harder now for graduates on top of the current climate due to Covid it’s ****

• Registered Users Posts: 31 john_fe12020

As one of the current third level undergrads (final year) who had applied for March and October, as much as I'd be a bit put out if we were to be excluded in a capped sitting, if numbers are the issue for the Law Society then online exams for those who are on their last exams and those with imminent TC starting dates should take priority. And with such reduced numbers, surely then an online exam could've taken place in October or November from the get go.

Now that would've been forward planning with a proper contingency plan, but it would be the shock of the century if the Law Society were to be found thinking ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

Another thing the LS have failed to appreciate is that while the holding of these exams is their sole concern, many of the people here have concerns outside of the exams, which are dependent on them going ahead. Whether it be training contract deadlines to be met or hybrid course commencement dates, these all require constant consideration, whereas the LS have the benefit of making their decisions free of any other external pressures.

Feeling genuinely sorry for a lot of people here as I'm sure there are many things to consider alongside these exams and the pressure that comes with them.

• Advertisement

I’m not sure that would even reduce the numbers by a significant amount - how many college students are actually sitting them

Like either way there’s a good few hundred per exam
    My exam number for both sittings so far have been 2000 and over

It would actually there’s anything from 500-600 students sitting exams prior to the changes in the fe1 rules and there’s certainly not the same number of training contracts on the market Since but I’m speaking from grads position so

It would actually there’s anything from 500-600 students sitting exams prior to the changes in the fe1 rules and there’s certainly not the same number of training contracts on the market Since but I’m speaking from grads position so

I didn’t realize it went up that much tbh like there was 1000 sitting each exam in August or so!

I’m not really focused on the training contract aspect right now haha I just didn’t realize that usually there’s only like 500 per exam before these rule changes
    I couldn’t imagine sitting the FE1s whilst in college

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

I didn’t realize it went up that much tbh like there was 1000 sitting each exam in August or so!

I’m not really focused on the training contract aspect right now haha I just didn’t realize that usually there’s only like 500 per exam before these rule changes
    I couldn’t imagine sitting the FE1s whilst in college

I sat one sitting before the rule change and my exam number was over 1500, so if exam numbers are related to numbers sitting then it seems there was more than 500 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

That seems like the logical thing to do! But don't forget when they postponed the March sitting to August they opened that up to everyone (not just those already registered in March) even though they knew of the pandemic at that stage. So I doubt they'll start limiting numbers now
    Even though that made things more difficult for themselves, as if they had not opened it up to all they would have had their confirmed numbers from the March sitting, and would have had results out quicker...

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    I sat one sitting before the rule change and my exam number was over 1500, so if exam numbers are related to numbers sitting then it seems there was more than 500 or so

I don’t think the exam numbers are in direct correlation to the number of people sitting the exams

I don’t think the exam numbers are in direct correlation to the number of people sitting the exams

I was pretty sure they were - could be wrong haha

How else do they give out the numbers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

The already made point of comparison between us and the leaving certs and the fact that the leaving certs had their results decided by past results is an excellent one.
    Many of us have sat and passed these very same subjects in college. I don’t understand why the law society can’t just look at our transcripts and do the same for us due to the current circumstances and the fact that the online exams seem to be such an issue to organise. Surely that’s the easiest option? If the DES made that call for an entire year of leaving certs the Law Society could surely make it for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ianmc97

anyone else find it curious that the law society posted in here for the first time only an hour or 2 after a journalist posted that they were interested on doing a story about the issues with the FE1s......... maybe my tinfoil hat is on too tight.

I was pretty sure they were - could be wrong haha

How else do they give out the numbers ?

I thought at random but then again I could be wrong!

Ianmc97 wrote: »
    anyone else find it curious that the law society posted in here for the first time only an hour or 2 after a journalist posted that they were interested on doing a story about the issues with the FE1s......... maybe my tinfoil hat is on too tight.

Ironic I know but they do chime in here now and again particular when exams results are released and the system crashes regularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 sarahlawless

I spotted that. Enough material on this thread for a mean article.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ianmc97

Ironic I know but they do chime in here now and again particular when exams results are released and the system crashes regularly

I stand corrected so. I hadn't remembered seeing them here. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as it is an update on the situation albeit an empty one

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

sh_owens wrote: »
    Maybe we should all take collective action as a student body and pen a letter to the President of the Law Society mentioning our concerns. A lot of the concerns noted by users above are undoubtedly valid and should be communicated to the Law Society for them to consider it.
    Would anyone be interested in getting involved to draft a letter we could send this week? Or does anyone have any contacts in the Law Society we could send this letter to?
    I have sent numerous emails over the last few weeks and I'm aware most candidates have too which have just been ignored.

Does anyone have any other ideas? It seems like collective action as a group might be the only option to communicate our concerns and highlight the unfair treatment us as candidates have received during these unprecedented times.

Paula sheedy in the law society is great at repying she has been replying to me all week even outside of work hours. P.Sheedy@LawSociety.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

rebuke wrote: »
    It is quite ironic to see the Law Societies press release today in relation to mental health week considering the amount of unwarranted stress they have subjected FE1 students to over the last number of months

Number of decades***

Ruined a lot of peoples twenties, etc.

I wish I was exaggerating but I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

I would be in favour of awarding exemptions to students (maybe leaning towards those who are close enough to finishing all eight) who have had their sittings messed around on them now three times in a row. We can't just indefinitely press pause on our lives while this virus ravages society when so many things could be done ahead of time to make life easier for everyone involved.

I would be in favour of awarding exemptions to students (maybe leaning towards those who are close enough to finishing all eight) who have had their sittings messed around on them now three times in a row. We can't just indefinitely press pause on our lives while this virus ravages society when so many things could be done ahead of time to make life easier for everyone involved.

I wish they would award exemptions to candidates in relation to the subjects they are registered for for November ( means Id only have 2 left 🀷ðŸ¼*♀️) but I can’t see it happening at all

would it not be prejudice to allow one person to pass over another just because one person is closer to finishing the exams than the other...like what if your half way through them

would it not be prejudice to allow one person to pass over another just because one person is closer to finishing the exams than the other...like what if your half way through them

Yes they’d have to give everyone an exemption from this sitting or no one

But it’s definitely not going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

While the idea of exemptions seems out of the question in my opinion (apologies if I’ve shattered anyone’s hopes) if they do happen they will have to be across the board on the basis of who has registered to sit them I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

Has people been replying to the jornalist? maybe if we get them involved in our concerns and suggestions might put more pressure on the society! as it seems to have done. Agreed it is odd we are just hearing from them now on this after their comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I'd love to see an article hit the news about this because we have been well and truly f*cked about for 7 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lcs3

Lallers96 wrote: »
    I'd love to see an article hit the news about this because we have been well and truly f*cked about for 7 months now.

I think we should all contact the press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Does anyone know if you type the online exams or write them?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Or social media...

The August online ones were written and you had to scan your paper to them

If these go ahead I’d say it will be typed due to the amount of students

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

People from Kildare wrote them and sent photos in August

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Number of decades***

Ruined a lot of peoples twenties, etc.

I wish I was exaggerating but I'm not.

I am stressed and anxious like many posting here. I agree with your comment of it ruining your life and I too have spent all nights awake drinking coffee studying, sometimes crying, worrying, panicking and constantly trying to motivate myself. Also trying to calm my whole system down after the exam sittings are finished. Not being able to relax as my system has been up to 90. It is just disheartening especially as it seems your law degree counts for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

I sat some for my final year exams and they gave me the option of either. I think for the August exams in the Law Society people had to write them (a booklet was sent out) and then they were scanned in with an app. The paper is emailed at the start of the exam.

The August online ones were written and you had to scan your paper to them

If these go ahead I’d say it will be typed due to the amount of students

Typing speeds vary can be advantageous to one and not the other, written and scanned Doesn’t sound that bad

Typing speeds vary can be advantageous to one and not the other, written and scanned Doesn’t sound that bad

True just not sure how they’d cope with a couple hundred exam papers being scanned to them

Was grand for August because there wasn’t that many

I’d definitely need to brush up on typing skills

• Advertisement

lcs3 wrote: »
    I think we should all contact the press

Would love this debacle to be covered or exposed in the press because it’s has Had huge implications for what 2000 people who registered to sit these exams and feel like were are the only ones going through it cuz no other student, or professional body has been treated in the same way as us....I feel so let down and Disheartened I know I’m not alone

Like for example leaving cert students points are up all round with predicted grades did any them actually fail this year....chances are no

College students exams, lectures All online even some labs/practicals which normally can’t be done online have guess what .....gone online

Kings inn, accountancy exams and many more professions all online and not postponed once

So ya waiting another week for clarity from them on top of the weeks and months of uncertainty and despair is just too much to bear

Like I think an emergency meeting was required today to give clarity to fe1 candidates it happened in other organisations today and previously

Oh and also ironic that we’ve been told time and again they couldn’t go online and now there a maybe ye can sit them online after all....maybe ain’t good enough as previous posters have said

Would love this debacle to be covered or exposed in the press because it’s has Had huge implications for what 2000 people who registered to sit these exams and feel like were are the only ones going through it cuz no other student, or professional body has been treated in the same way as us....I feel so let down and Disheartened I know I’m not alone

Like for example leaving cert students points are up all round with predicted grades did any them actually fail this year....chances are no

College students exams, lectures All online even some labs/practicals which normally can’t be done online have guess what .....gone online

Kings inn, accountancy exams and many more professions all online and not postponed once

So ya waiting another week for clarity from them on top of the weeks and months of uncertainty and despair is just too much to bear

Like I think an emergency meeting was required today to give clarity to fe1 candidates it happened in other organisations today and previously

Oh and also ironic that we’ve been told time and again they couldn’t go online and now there a maybe ye can sit them online after all....maybe ain’t good enough as previous posters have said

Someone has an email from the law society from like the last two weeks confirming there will be no online
    Sitting

If they can organize one now why were the exams postponed at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EM11

We've been messed around so much at this point that the only fair solution would seem to be setting a remote open book exam. I've had to delay commencing a new job twice because of rescheduling, and now it seems that I will have to contact my boss and ask if we can rearrange again. This does not make sense to anyone outside of law. An open book exam would be easier to facilitate as it would not require invigilation, and would be guaranteed to go ahead as scheduled.
    If a person is not adequately prepared they will not be able to pass anyway. The aim of these exams is to test our capacity to operate within the profession, and I don't think that anyone would begrudge a slight easing of the regulations for people who have been hanging on for seven months now

EM11 wrote: »
    We've been messed around so much at this point that the only fair solution would seem to be setting a remote open book exam. I've had to delay commencing a new job twice because of rescheduling, and now it seems that I will have to contact my boss and ask if we can rearrange again. This does not make sense to anyone outside of law. An open book exam would be easier to facilitate as it would not require invigilation, and would be guaranteed to go ahead as scheduled.
    If a person is not adequately prepared they will not be able to pass anyway. The aim of these exams is to test our capacity to operate within the profession, and I don't think that anyone would begrudge a slight easing of the regulations for people who have been hanging on for seven months now

Completely agree! We should have a time frame window to complete and submit the exam

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Would that mean we could use our own notes ? ..surely they wont entertain that ?

Would that mean we could use our own notes ? ..surely they wont entertain that ?

They could take a leaf from other countries - every law exam in Australia is open book

And whilst working we will always be able to look up anything that we do not know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Isn't the best and most obvious rationale for giving automatic passes to candidates in light of their abject failures in facilitating the exams is that the student already passed the exam at undergraduate level anyways, so there's proof that they're competent at the subject, and that the exceptional nature of what's happening justifies it?

It's a perfectly rational reasoning that's sitting right before them! They can even keep the damn money I don't care.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Isn't the best and most obvious rationale for giving automatic passes to candidates in light of their abject failures in facilitating the exams is that the student already passed the exam at undergraduate level anyways, so there's proof that they're competent at the subject, and that the exceptional nature of what's happening justifies it?

It's a perfectly rational reasoning that's sitting right before them! They can even keep the damn money I don't care.

Agreed and the best money I will have ever spent!!

But judging on the past cancelled exams I don’t hold any hope for it

IgoPAP wrote: »

I also agree

The FE-1s never made sense to me in relation to people having completed a law degree

I also agree

The FE-1s never made sense to me in relation to people having completed a law degree

Law degrees should come with a warning on the CAO that you aren’t actually eligible to enter the law society until you resist all 8 exams you studied for in college again....If I knew that at the time I may have studied something else in college and be an actual qualified professional by now!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement