Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

maggie95 wrote: »
    Did anyone else see the Law Society's Facebook post earlier:
    "How we communicate with each other matters"

I'm in stitches.

92QXyh3

Hahahaha how are they so out of touch

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

Has anybody who has a training contract been in touch with their firm in relation to this mess? I'm half thinking of contacting HR to see if they'd try put some pressure on LS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭shaunadennyham

milktray22 wrote: »
    It would be totally unfair to allow any candidate an exemption.
    I have passed 7 fe1 exams and went through hell to pass them (as many more before me have) and now people here want to be granted exemptions.
    We are in the middle of a health crisis. The Law Society are doing the best they can. What proof have any of you got that they are deliberately making things difficult for you. I mean organising petitions and writing letters to TDs - ridiculous. These kind of actions just make you look spoilt and want to get everything handed to you without any work or effort. We all have to pass these exams, so just get on with it.
    I really hope that the Law Society read these posts and decide not to grant any exemptions.

You went through hell without a GLOBAL PANDEMIC raging in the background. Nobody is taking your exams away from you. What difference does it make to you how other people get into blackhall? We’re going through the same hell plus a pandemic. How dare you say that people are acting spoilt and asking for handouts without work or effort? Who are you to say that? You have no idea how much work everyone has put in - people have been studying for months, have taken leave from work in many cases and are simply at breaking point now. To say that people are asking for handouts is quite frankly insulting. Take your contempt elsewhere.

HOW CAN WE GET ON WITH PASSING EXAMS WHEN WE DON’T KNOW WHEN THEY'LL BE ON? Might want to reconsider your career path given your appalling logic here.

How can you say the law society are doing the best they can? They’ve had 7 months to come up with a workable solution. They’ve delayed the exams, given totally conflicting information to candidates and vague updates that aren’t really updates. They have taken hundreds of thousands of euro in fees from students, many of whom are waiting on refunds from March and August sittings. Please do elaborate here I would simply LOVE to hear it. Nobody has said they’re making things deliberately difficult for us, but it’s not unreasonable to expect the body who sets the exams to have a coherent plan in place for the examinations to take place.

Hope you pass your last fe1 and get a TC and enjoy Blackhall but I really hope I don’t ever run across you in a personal or professional capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scarson216

...do you mean proof of making life difficult for us as in the fact they’ve had since March, fully aware Covid wasn’t going anywhere and in fact would most likely be worse in winter months and are only now 3 weeks out from exams “looking into” an online provider which isn’t even guaranteed?
    I have passed 7 fe1 exams and went through hell to pass them (as many more before me have) and now people here want to be granted exemptions.
    We are in the middle of a health crisis. The Law Society are doing the best they can. What proof have any of you got that they are deliberately making things difficult for you. I mean organising petitions and writing letters to TDs - ridiculous. These kind of actions just make you look spoilt and want to get everything handed to you without any work or effort. We all have to pass these exams, so just get on with it.
    I really hope that the Law Society read these posts and decide not to grant any exemptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

Today’s hot take

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Chill...

I too have passed 7 exams and I agree it was hell to do so, but just because I went through hell to pass them doesn't mean that I wish that on everyone else, I can't imagine being so petty.
    No one is looking for anything to be handed to them without any work or effort, we were all prepared and willing to sit the October exams when the timetable was released and have only registered and paid to sit the subjects that we have done months of study for and put a huge amount of effort into.

The reality is that people are going to end up losing their training contracts due to these delays. We have deadlines in our contracts and may lose them over the Law Society not organising a sitting for us before then, and these delays will have a knock-on effect for people planning on sitting in March 2021 too, as they would have planned on starting their study after the October sitting.

The Law Society are making things more difficult than needs to be by failing to make any plans over the course of seven months, when virtually every other institution has managed to do so, and worse than that by ignoring all of our queries. I have sent approximately 20 emails to the LS since March, many of which were simple queries not relating to the pandemic and I have received one response, that is unacceptable from a professional body. I have had them hang up the phone on me multiple times when I call and say I have a query about the FE1s. They also delayed 5 months before reorganizing the exams they postponed in March (which possibly could have been done online had they not opened it up to everyone), and took no account of the fact that this had a huge impact on candidate's study for the October sitting when setting their original October timetable.

So please get off your high horse and have a bit of compassion, if you've sat 7 exams you know exactly the level of stress they cause at the best of times, never mind during a global pandemic when people are losing loved ones and genuniely struggling with their mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JayFE1

So because it was difficult for you, there can never be an exemption made? Nah. Did you sit those 7 FE1s in a global pandemic with the added stress and uncertainty that brings? Sorry pal if I missed that one. If it’s being spoilt to ask for some mitigation in the current circumstances then consider me an absolute brat!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 milktray22

Every day people here moan and complain about the law society when there are people out there with real problems. The exams will take place eventually. Just get on with it. No one should be allowed an exemption or a pass without sitting an exam (whenever that may be). Why give exemptions when others have struggled to pass. Grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Every day people here moan and complain about the law society when there are people out there with real problems. The exams will take place eventually. Just get on with it. No one should be allowed an exemption or a pass without sitting an exam (whenever that may be). Why give exemptions when others have struggled to pass. Grow up

Read the room.

So you're saying our problems aren't real problems?? Oh do you know what you're not even worth conversing with.

• Advertisement

You’re genuinely making no sense? This is a forum to discuss fe1s what else do you expect to find on here? Also ‘there are people out there with real problems’ - give over that struggle olympics logic is not convincing.

You sound like some crotchety old man complaining that when he did his leaving certificate you weren’t allowed to use calculators in Maths exams.

Maybe you don’t work so you don’t understand the pressure of having to arrange time off to study and sit exams? Has it crossed your bitter mind that people are entitled to know when and how exams will take place when we’re 3 weeks out from the projected start date? GET ON WITH WHAT????? You don’t make any sense babe

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

Genuinely hope you step on a piece of Lego

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JayFE1

Mate, the absolute irony of telling people to grow up when you’re being childish as childish can be. I can picture you in school putting your hand up - “Miss, the student up front missed the spelling test on Friday.” and then storming out of the class saying “Well, I had to do mine”! You’re having a right ‘mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 milktray22

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Read the room.

So you're saying our problems aren't real problems?? Oh do you know what you're not even worth conversing with.

But yet you replied

But yet you replied

@mods I genuinely think this person is a troll account

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

But yet you replied

Lol it's clear you're the one who needs to grow up
    But I'm glad you saw the light and deleted your original post :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

This is literally a Law Society owned psy-op account attempting to concern troll.

Ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rebuke

So your logic is literally why should we be trying to change anything because it may have been different and more arduous for the people before us? Brb just throwing my laptop in the bin and getting out my quill and paper as it’s unfair on the people from the 1800s

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Shut up you ham

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

It's a forum dedicated to FE1 discussion, it's not as if we are all posting in forums about other issues people are currently having complaining about the FE1s etc. What a lousy comment, give people a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LawExams 2020

IgoPAP wrote: »
    This is literally a Law Society owned psy-op account attempting to concern troll.

Ignore.

A person can disagree with you without being a troll. Now, maybe they are trying to stir tempers, or maybe they genuinely mean what they say.

There’s a terrible “fingers in the ears” syndrome affecting too many people today. Never wanting to hear or listen to anything that goes against their own rigid options or beliefs.

You won’t be able to cry troll in a courtroom or in the office.

People seem to have lost the run of themselves a good bit on this thread, understandable given the frustrations, but it’s beginning to come across a bit juvenile.

The legal profession is notoriously stressful. I’ve worked in it for a decade and seen firsthand the stress involved. You have to be able to deal with that stress in a constructive manner or it will see you out at the age of 40.

All this nonsense is not even going to be in the top 100 most stressful moments of your legal career. You’ll probably look back at it fondly.

I’m out of a job myself due to the Law Soc’s ineptitude, so believe me when I say that I understand the frustrations of all posting on here.

The Law Soc may be more amenable to giving refunds to people who are finding it all too much for this sitting, especially given how they’ve cocked it up. Something to consider for those who can afford to push them out until March 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Law20213

A person can disagree with you without being a troll. Now, maybe they are trying to stir tempers, or maybe they genuinely mean what they say.

There’s a terrible “fingers in the ears” syndrome affecting too many people today. Never wanting to hear or listen to anything that goes against their own rigid options or beliefs.

You won’t be able to cry troll in a courtroom or in the office.

People seem to have lost the run of themselves a good bit on this thread, understandable given the frustrations, but it’s beginning to come across a bit juvenile.

The legal profession is notoriously stressful. I’ve worked in it for a decade and seen firsthand the stress involved. You have to be able to deal with that stress in a constructive manner or it will see you out at the age of 40.

All this nonsense is not even going to be in the top 100 most stressful moments of your legal career. You’ll probably look back at it fondly.

I’m out of a job myself due to the Law Soc’s ineptitude, so believe me when I say that I understand the frustrations of all posting on here.

The Law Soc may be more amenable to giving refunds to people who are finding it all too much for this sitting, especially given how they’ve cocked it up. Something to consider for those who can afford to push them out until March 2021.

If you’ve been in the profession for a decade why are you even commenting on this forum? Are you looking for some study tips or info on the exams? You ain’t got any pearls of wisdom to pass on here!Don’t be so condescending.

Cancelled and delayed FE1’s are the most stressful issues us candidates have going on in our lives on top of the global pandemic!! Your not the only one out of work here and broke paying for exams!!!People will lose jobs over these exams if this uncertainty continues!!!

I don’t know if the society would grant exemptions....I’m more than halfway on my fe1s but i wouldn’t be grudge or deny another person of an exemption

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Law20213 wrote: »
    If you’ve been in the profession for a decade why are you even commenting on this forum? Are you looking for some study tips or info on the exams? You ain’t got any pearls of wisdom to pass on here!Don’t be so condescending.

Cancelled and delayed FE1’s are the most stressful issues us candidates have going on in our lives on top of the global pandemic!! Your not the only one out of work here and broke paying for exams!!!People will lose jobs over these exams if this uncertainty continues!!!

I don’t know if the society would grant exemptions....I’m more than halfway on my fe1s but i wouldn’t be grudge or deny another person of an exemption

I don't see the issue with someone who isn't sitting the FE1s right now commenting here?

The way this thread is going we are all gonna end up on that instagram page again

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I don't see the issue with someone who isn't sitting the FE1s right now commenting here?

The way this thread is going we are all gonna end up on that instagram page again

Which instagram page? I wouldn't mind not using boards.ie it's always been toxic and an ancient site to have to visit

I think your misunderstanding the above if your not sitting the exams and you do have some advice,tips for other candidates sure post away help others out!!!

But stirring the pot and genuinely being condescending on this isn’t going to help people on this forum!

If your bored and got nothing better else to do go comment on the journal you’ll get plenty of fire there!

What a needlessly aggressive reply.

I’ve been working as a legal executive for the last decade and I am now sitting the exams. I have a few left to sit and should be doing them now if not for the choke hold the Law Soc have on entry into the profession and their general reluctance to be in any way progressive.

My reply wasn’t condescending, I’m simply stating facts. Working as a solicitor and barrister are high stress jobs. Any one who has spent any length of time working in a law office will have seen that stress play out. The stress you’re experiencing now is going to pale in comparison, so yes, you do need to learn how to deal with it.

I do agree that the carry on of the Law Soc has been a disgrace. They had ample time to get a plan b in place. The October exams should not have been cancelled. If they can’t handle the numbers then perhaps they should not be the only organisation facilitating access to the FE1s.

Again, someone pointing out something you may not want to hear does not mean they are stirring the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 john_fe12020

I do agree that the carry on of the Law Soc has been a disgrace. They had ample time to get a plan b in place. The October exams should not have been cancelled. If they can’t handle the numbers then perhaps they should not be the only organisation facilitating access to the FE1s.

Imagine how quickly the Law Soc would have to take their finger out in order to match a competent competing organisation or company providing training, FE1s etc! Would be gas to watch the Law Soc fall over themselves in shock if that ever happened

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

I’ve been working as a legal executive for the last decade and I am now sitting the exams. I have a few left to sit and should be doing them now if not for the choke hold the Law Soc have on entry into the profession and their general reluctance to be in any way progressive.

My reply wasn’t condescending, I’m simply stating facts. Working as a solicitor and barrister are high stress jobs. Any one who has spent any length of time working in a law office will have seen that stress play out. The stress you’re experiencing now is going to pale in comparison, so yes, you do need to learn how to deal with it.

Again, someone pointing out something you may not want to hear does not mean they are stirring the pot.

Sooo you're allowed to complain about the Law Soc, but when other people do it it's 'juvenile' ? I think people are totally justified in their frustrations re the law society's [mis]handling of this situation and I don't begrudge them venting on here. This is an extremely stressful situation nevermind the everyday worries about Covid so I think it's best to lay off people and remember we're all in this together.

Imagine how quickly the Law Soc would have to take their finger out in order to match a competent competing organisation or company providing training, FE1s etc! Would be gas to watch the Law Soc fall over themselves in shock if that ever happened

Ha! Yeah, it might actually wake them up! Other professional organisations have been able to cope without issue and people have been able to sit exams etc. so there really isn’t any excuse.

I’ve written to the Competition Authority on it, but I can’t imagine anything will come from it.

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    Sooo you're allowed to complain about the Law Soc, but when other people do it it's 'juvenile' ? I think people are totally justified in their frustrations re the law society's [mis]handling of this situation and I don't begrudge them venting on here. This is an extremely stressful situation nevermind the everyday worries about Covid so I think it's best to lay off people and remember we're all in this together.

Emma, I never said people couldn’t complain? I said people are losing the run of themselves a bit.

I agree entirely that it’s stressful, and sure vent away, but when I read that people are crying in the toilets and needing therapy, well it’s alarming to read that people are coming so undone. People will be making themselves sick from stress, and I don’t think anyone wants to see that happen.

Emma, I never said people couldn’t complain? I said people are losing the run of themselves a bit.

I agree entirely that it’s stressful, and sure vent away, but when I read that people are crying in the toilets and needing therapy, well it’s alarming to read that people are coming so undone. People will be making themselves sick from stress, and I don’t think anyone wants to see that happen.

So you think the solution is to tell people to stop being so upset and think of all the future stress that is to come? Surely it’s a good thing that people are being open about the stress that they’re feeling and how they’re dealing with it. It’s ok not to be ok. Telling people to man up is an outdated model of thinking and I do hope you wouldn’t treat your underlings in work with such a callous manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

People deal with stress in different ways - who are we to judge. We don't know what else is going on in their lives, and this whole debacle could prove very overwhelming. Think it's better to lift each other up and acknowledge the stress this has caused rather than be condescending (this may not have been your intention but it's how your comments have come across unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

God forbid anyone shows that they’re vulnerable. Yep I did cry yesterday in work, no need to make me feel like an egit for it. You seem to be suggesting that it is alarming in the sense that it is an over reaction. God give people a break, the uncertainty is stressful and we are not robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bazu

Probably a dumb question, but would anyone here know if we can apply for both the Solicitor Traineeship Programme and the corresponding summer internship to fall back on? In relation to the bigger firms that is I suppose.

Or is it sort of expected that you apply to one or the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

bazu wrote: »
    Probably a dumb question, but would anyone here know if we can apply for both the Solicitor Traineeship Programme and the corresponding summer internship to fall back on? In relation to the bigger firms that is I suppose.

I see no reason you wouldn't be able to apply to both! For most large commercial firms the traineeship applications will be decided before the summer internship applications even open. Other people might have a different experience with specific firms but from my experience, you can apply to both!

You can absolutely do both.

I'm not sure why people are saying that it's completely fine. I've already seen some firms mention on their website that you can only apply for one or the other.

It’s varies depending on the firm always check the FAQ’s section should mention whether it’s possible or not

• Registered Users Posts: 31 fe1student2803

Has anyone asked the Law Society if its possible the online exams could be held the first week of November?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Wondering if anyone in the judicial assistant competition asked when we’ll hear from them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Olaboo1227

Been reading this for months

Can I just say I can only speak for myself but I’ve spent the last 7 months working and saving leave for these exams.

I am studying into the middle of the night And on my lunch breaks and they cannot tell us if they’ll still be in less than a month! I need to get leave off work I’ve used almost all my annual leave already and had to keep cancelling. I need at least a week or two pre exams to prepare for my mental health I am struggling to sleep eat etc with the stress

It’s hard enough balancing work and study and it’s impractical to suggest we shouldn’t work as there’s such gaps between exam sittings and they’re expensive. I want clarity that they will be pushed back so I can inform work as this is affecting my employment and my mental health.

This treatment is so horrible and I don’t care how they manage to handle it but my main concern is when they will be and I don’t feel the notice is adequate if they are going ahead.

Has anyone asked the Law Society if its possible the online exams could be held the first week of November?

Yes. No coherent response save to say they’re considering the option of online exams and no confirmation whether the exams will proceed at all. We’re in The twilight zone

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Which instagram page? I wouldn't mind not using boards.ie it's always been toxic and an ancient site to have to visit

Ha it was someone just calling us spoofers if you use the search thread function for "spoofer" you'll find it some chats on it. Think it was this thread not the last one. I like old school boards cos I can't really post openly with my own name behind it - no problem meeting people IRL or whatever but i dont want stupid stuff I said like 10 years ago about LC Home Ec always attached to my name for time immemorial. :p

There is a reddit group but it's very quiet.
    I think your misunderstanding the above if your not sitting the exams and you do have some advice,tips for other candidates sure post away help others out!!!

But stirring the pot and genuinely being condescending on this isn’t going to help people on this forum!

If your bored and got nothing better else to do go comment on the journal you’ll get plenty of fire there!

I don't think Law2020 was being particularly super condescending, I thought they have been genuine and quite balanced in their replies here and also I respect them coming from a place of experience. Not a trolly person imho at all.

Also to the last person cant be bothered to reply to your message but I had the interview last week, no update since. Wont be taking it if I got it as as work are apprenticing me instead. Radio silence from them

Wondering if anyone in the judicial assistant competition asked when we’ll hear from them?

Hey, see above couldnt be bothered to copy and paste three times on my phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Chickennugget1

I have emailed 3 times in the last day just looking for confirmation as to whether the dates will be changed from the first week of November or not but they just replying saying we’ll confirm dates next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Hey, see above couldnt be bothered to copy and paste three times on my phone :)

Thank you and congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭KMPT

Law Society says it wants to maintain the integrity of the exams. Well, at the moment many of us do not study all of the topics or all of the cases. But if it was switched to multiple choice we would be forced to. The exams would be harder since you have to cover everything single thing but at least the real focus would be on knowing the law. Rather than the current format which really focuses on knowing some law and writing style. Many of us just learn off enough and pass with our writing style. A multiple choice paper focuses on knowledge, is easier to use online and removes the unfairness of who types or writes faster.

Then there is also the senseless idea that Law grads should sit the same exams over again. This only makes sense to me if the exams are as described above. Multiple choice with a huge focus on case law and legislation.

Just my two cents.

KMPT wrote: »
    Law Society says it wants to maintain the integrity of the exams. Well, at the moment many of us do not study all of the topics or all of the cases. But if it was switched to multiple choice we would be forced to. The exams would be harder since you have to cover everything single thing but at least the real focus would be on knowing the law. Rather than the current format which really focuses on knowing some law and writing style. Many of us just learn off enough and pass with our writing style. A multiple choice paper focuses on knowledge, is easier to use online and removes the unfairness of who types or writes faster.

Then there is also the senseless idea that Law grads should sit the same exams over again. This only makes sense to me if the exams are as described above. Multiple choice with a huge focus on case law and legislation.

Just my two cents.

The US bar exams in America are multiple-choice...

I don't think Law2020 was being particularly super condescending, I thought they have been genuine and quite balanced in their replies here and also I respect them coming from a place of experience. Not a trolly person imho at all.

Thank you. I genuinely wasn’t trying to be condescending.

Having a rant, a good cry, being royally pis*ed off and more, all totally natural. For me though, it’s equally as important to be able to pick myself up, dust myself off, and crack on with things.

It’s very easy to slide into a negative, overly stressed place, but to go too far into that kind of upset - I don’t think that benefits anyone.

I’ve wasted a few days this week worrying about the future. Trying now to focus as much as I can and put everything else out of my mind. I’ll be kicking myself if I lose out on too much study time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

KMPT wrote: »

Just my two cents.

Are you suggesting changing exam format to MCQ and making it harder? Not entirely sure why you would want to change from being able to leave topics out to having to cover everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Philodendron

Are you suggesting changing exam format to MCQ and making it harder? Not entirely sure why you would want to change from being able to leave topics out to having to cover everything.
    Think an argument can be made that having the right answer in front of you and you having to just identify it is easier. Plus, for the likes of Equity and Company it is already too risky to leave out anything anyway. This format, however, will very unlikely be implemented any time soon, seeing as the Law Society are so set in their ways.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement