Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

I cant believe they are keeping the same dates. I've lost a week of study 😭

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Timetable attached

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

Very surprised they're going ahead in the first 2 weeks of November, very short notice for a whole new style of examination!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Law20213

awsah wrote: »
    I cant believe they are keeping the same dates. I've lost a week of study ��

I had feeling they do this so close to 6 clock! And the weekend so emails/phone calls go unanswered!

They could have said this on Monday after the government announcement like!!typical

Law20213 wrote: »
    I had feeling they do this so close to 6 clock! And the weekend so emails/phone calls go unanswered!

They could have said this on Monday after the government announcement like!!typical

Every important email we get from them is sent at 6.00 on a Friday... classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Hahah the typical Friday news dump. A favourite of the political class.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

No information on whether we'll need laptops with webcams and strong wifi for 3 hours if we're being remotely supervised...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

Hazel774 wrote: »
    No information on whether we'll need laptops with webcams and strong wifi for 3 hours if we're being remotely supervised...
    Not sure if this is any help to you, but I sat the online sitting in August (it was 100% fine) and we needed a laptop with a webcam and mic which had to be left on at all times, and we needed a phone with a camera to submit scans of our papers.

I imagine it will be the same this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

I can't believe they're still holding them the first week..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Law20213

It’s shows that exams shouldn’t and didn’t need to be cancelled so needlessly and that guess what they could have been online the whole time!!

StabiloLaw wrote: »
    Not sure if this is any help to you, but I sat the online sitting in August (it was 100% fine) and we needed a laptop with a webcam and mic which had to be left on at all times, and we needed a phone with a camera to submit scans of our papers.

Thanks, hopefully it will be the same this time, I'm so out of practice with typing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Should I be concerned that I didn't get an email?

I've registered and paid and have a confirmation email etc, just concerned that I'm not on their mailing list lol

The fact that they have a finalised timetable they obviously know how the exams will be run - why not just give us the information today?
    It's not a lot to ask...

dobby896 wrote: »

I've registered and paid and have a confirmation email etc, just concerned that I'm not on their mailing list lol

Maybe they've had to split us into two groups so you could be two weeks behind with another paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Can I ask if other people could be in the room in August? My roommate has to work at the same table as me so I'm not sure if I will get a room to myself for the exams. The joys of a small apartment.

• Advertisement

This happens sometimes when they send out emails for some reason... they'll send it on to you if you email and ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

FE1new wrote: »
    Can I ask if other people could be in the room in August? My roommate has to work at the same table as me so I'm not sure if I will get a room to myself for the exams. The joys of a small apartment.

I'm in the same boat, going to see if work will let me use an office 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

has anyone got constitutional law notes ready to study very desperate after receiving that timetable there! please message me ! have loads of materials for other exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Might seem obvious but maybe check spam/junk?
    Otherwise, could be a delay as they're sending to a large number, could even take an hour or two to come through

• Registered Users Posts: 14 luckyman

The FE1s broke me mentally 2 years ago and I gave up. I had some personal family trauma and other things (like many do) and I found that these exams don't fit in well with a hectic/ turbulent life. Kept missing out on my magic 3 (which I know is now gone as a requirement). Knew I had passed my first 2 comfortably and I had a horrible equity paper as my third exam. I know ultimately the responsibility lies with me for not passing them but I hate these exams and my heart goes out to you all at the moment because it's just not good enough from the law society.

I received some nice messages on these forums at the time. If anyone wants to contact me about alternative careers for law graduates, advice, emotional support, to see what fe1 notes I have feel free to message me privately. Young, old, male or female, Irish, non Irish I am happy to talk to anyone or to even be a text buddy during the exams.

Hope you all pass these exams and take the law society down from within one day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Nikcan18

Just got an email. They are going online in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Would anyone have criminal or equity notes? I have property and EU I can swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 smiley1989

I have typed notes for EU, Criminal, property, Contract and Equity if anyone who has passed company would like to exchange notes?

Copied from previous post....
    Not sure how else to upload it but this is copy and pasted.
    Hope it's useful!

LAW SOCIETY OF IRELAND
    FINAL EXAMINATION – FIRST PART
    27 - 28 AUGUST 2020

PREPARATION FOR THE FE-1 ONLINE EXAMINATION
    SUMMARY

Examination Paper
    The examination paper will be provided on our Virtual Learning Environment, Moodle.
    Invigilation
    Zoom technology will be used to invigilate your examination. You will join a Zoom meeting
    and complete a check-in process with our invigilator.

Answer Book
    You will complete your examination on paper using the FE-1 examination answer book
    which has been posted to you.

Submitting your Answer Book
    At the end of the examination you will scan your written paper and email it to the invigilator.
    You will complete a check-out process with our invigilator.

WHY ARE WE PROVIDING AN ONLINE EXAMINATION?
    The government’s restrictions on travel from Kildare, Laois and Offaly prevented you from
    attending the examinations on 11 and/or 13 August.

PROCEDURE
     You will receive the FE-1 examination answer book in the post. If you do not receive an
    answer book by Monday 24 August please contact fe1section@lawsociety.ie.
     You will receive an email with logon details so that you can access our Virtual Learning
    Environment, Moodle.
     You will receive the following guides:
    o How to access Moodle.
    o How to download Zoom on to your device.
    o How to install the scanning application (CamScanner) on to your device.
     You will receive an email with details of a training session which will be held at 10.00am
    on Monday 24 August.

IT Hardware Requirements
     A desktop computer or laptop;
     A webcam (built in or external);
     A microphone (built in or external);
     A reliable internet connection (preferably wired, but this is not always an option for all
    candidates);
     Your smartphone, fully charged, for scanning the written examination.

IT Software Requirements
     Chrome, Firefox, Edge or Safari browser;
     Zoom application for Windows or Mac already installed on your device (check that you
    have the latest version installed);
     Moodle account and FE-1 page opened;
     CamScanner downloaded onto a Smartphone;

Photo ID
    You must have a Passport or Driving License in order to take the examination.

EXAMINATION CHECKLIST
     Please try to ensure that you have a quiet space where you can undertake the
    examination.
     Ensure you are happy with the examination process (accessing Zoom, Moodle and the
    CamScanner).
     Do not forget to have your passport or driving licence with you.
     Check you are in an area where you can have your device plugged into a power outlet
    and are not working off a battery.
     Have a clock to hand so you know how long you have left in the examination.
     Ensure you have a glass and jug of water in your workspace.
     Ensure you have the contact email of the FE-1 Section fe1section@lawsociety.ie for this
    examination should any issues arise during the examination and you are unable to
    contact the invigilator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Why couldn't they have had an ounce of decency and sent this yesterday so people could arrange leave with their employer before the weekend? 6 o'clock on a f**king Friday 3 weeks out.

This incompetent, archaic, society is so detached from both reality and its prospective members it's frightening. Actually a bit motivated now to pass these exams and qualify so i can lobby to drain the elitist swamp of this grossly inadequate joke of a society.

You're on the Law Society blacklist now mate

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Anybody have any tips for Tort? Its the only exam I failed and I'm not really sure why I did.
    Perhaps my cases weren't the ones the examiner wanted or there wasn't enough recent ones, in which case does anyone know where I can find these?

I have notes/grids for all subjects which are relatively recent if this is of any help in return, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Lovely, no change in dates but entirely change the exam format 4 weeks out - and we still have zero clue how they will be conducted. Now I have to scramble to get leave at the start of November and somehow try and get enough time off work so I can cram because at this point I have no choice but to with the notice they have given.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Will we be still allowed to use legislation if they’re online?

Will we be still allowed to use legislation if they’re online?
    We were in August, but they asked us to flick through to show we hadn't written on it!

We were in August, but they asked us to flick through to show we hadn't written on it!

Sorry for all the questions, but just wondering were you actually talking to the invigilator for around 5-10 mins beforehand to show them your legislation and ID and to flip through your answer booklet to show it's blank etc.?

And also do you know if you were allowed to print out the paper after you got it? I just find that it helps to be able to highlight key words in the question

• Advertisement

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    Sorry for all the questions, but just wondering were you actually talking to the invigilator for around 5-10 mins beforehand to show them your legislation and ID and to flip through your answer booklet to show it's blank etc.?

And also do you know if you were allowed to print out the paper after you got it? I just find that it helps to be able to highlight key words in the question
    No problem- yep we had to be on 30 minutes beforehand and she was there with me for the entire time.

I'm not 100% sure about printing because I never asked, but I'm sure you could if you asked!

No problem- yep we had to be on 30 minutes beforehand and she was there with me for the entire time.

I'm not 100% sure about printing because I never asked, but I'm sure you could if you asked!

Thanks a mil :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

How does it work if you need to go to the bathroom ! Sorry weird questions but important one haha

• Registered Users Posts: 31 john_fe12020

Have to say, i think it's a f***ing disgrace that the LS kept it so bloody vague for the last two weeks and had obviously been close to at least knowing that online was going to be possible, never mind the last couple of days where it would've been almost certain for them... and they never gave us any notice that we should carry on preparing for the same dates. Beyond exhasperated with them, had been (wrongly) giving them the benefit of the doubt until the email this evening...

jus_me wrote: »
    How does it work if you need to go to the bathroom ! Sorry weird questions but important one haha
    You had to ask first but it was no problem! I did go more than once during one of the exams (someone asked me before if I was limited to once- I definitely don't think they could do that!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

Can we all see each other doing the exam??

Fe123 wrote: »
    Can we all see each other doing the exam??
    Nope, in the first 30 minutes I was in a "room" with 1 other person (I imagine it would be more people this time) and the girl explained the rules and how we got our paper, that kinda thing.

Then, she put us in to our own "rooms" where we showed her our space, our exam booklet and legislation and could ask any further questions.

From there, during the exam, she popped into each of our own personal rooms at random and we didn't know when that would be or how long she'd stay. At any time, she can ask you to scan your room or show your desk or whatever, but for me I completely forgot she was even there and had her minimised. You could call her into your room at any time (to use the toilet, for example) and she would stay in your room until you came back.

You didn't see anyone else once we were split into our individual "rooms".

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

for that 30minutes beforehand are you just sitting waiting to find out whats happening? for my august sitting of tort that waiting 30minutes beforehand totally through me off when i eventually got the paper i kind of blanked!

nicolesd wrote: »
    for that 30minutes beforehand are you just sitting waiting to find out whats happening? for my august sitting of tort that waiting 30minutes beforehand totally through me off when i eventually got the paper i kind of blanked!
    I was the same!

I know a lot of people like to look over notes until the last second, and I definitely do too, it totally throws me off if I have to sit in the room too long beforehand or talk to the invigilators

• Advertisement

Have to say, i think it's a f***ing disgrace that the LS kept it so bloody vague for the last two weeks and had obviously been close to at least knowing that online was going to be possible, never mind the last couple of days where it would've been almost certain for them... and they never gave us any notice that we should carry on preparing for the same dates. Beyond exhasperated with them, had been (wrongly) giving them the benefit of the doubt until the email this evening...

They show such disregard for how their lack of communication effects us, to wait until 6.00 on a Friday with full knowledge that people have to book time off work when they obviously knew this all day, it's such a joke. And they clearly know at this stage how the exam is going to operate so why not just tell us now and not leave us agonising all weekend :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

FINALLY we know. Take the night off, recharge. We will have more details next week at least we have a date now we can work towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Anybody not receive an email about online?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Stressed atm. Any tips for company? Anyone have the exam paper for EU exam in August. Thank you

Jenosul wrote: »
    Stressed atm. Any tips for company? Anyone have the exam paper for EU exam in August. Thank you

The biggest tip for company is to make sure you've highlighted all the relevant sections in the legislation, it's genuinely so helpful in the exam - so know it well because if you're stuck it may be possible to get almost a full answer out of what's in the legislation. You'd be surprised how much is in it.

Directors duties also very important (could even be 2 questions).
    Topics like SLP or the advantages/disadvantages of incorporation are short and pretty easy so don't leave them out as they would be a perfect question to start with in the exam to ease yourself in

It's a while since I sat it but I think charges and shareholder rights are also important topics

Edit: the examiner is also a very nice marker and it has a high pass rate too

nicolesd wrote: »
    I asked if I could look over my notes and she said I could, or I could leave to get tea or water or whatever and come back on screen just beforehand, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I just made sure to show her that I was putting my notes behind me before I began (they were in plain sight, on a dressing table right behind me for the entire exam).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I asked if I could look over my notes and she said I could, or I could leave to get tea or water or whatever and come back on screen just beforehand, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I just made sure to show her that I was putting my notes behind me before I began (they were in plain sight, on a dressing table right behind me for the entire exam).

Thanks for all your input on the online sitting. I'm stressing about how it'll all work tbh so it's good to know how yours worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mayolaw

I just made sure to show her that I was putting my notes behind me before I began (they were in plain sight, on a dressing table right behind me for the entire exam).[/QUOTE

im guessing too that we share our laptops screens?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    The biggest tip for company is to make sure you've highlighted all the relevant sections in the legislation, it's genuinely so helpful in the exam - so know it well because if you're stuck it may be possible to get almost a full answer out of what's in the legislation. You'd be surprised how much is in it.

Directors duties also very important (could even be 2 questions).
    Topics like SLP or the advantages/disadvantages of incorporation are short and pretty easy so don't leave them out as they would be a perfect question to start with in the exam to ease yourself in

It's a while since I sat it but I think charges and shareholder rights are also important topics

Edit: the examiner is also a very nice marker and it has a high pass rate too

Thank you for your help

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your input on the online sitting. I'm stressing about how it'll all work tbh so it's good to know how yours worked.
    If there's anything in particular you need to know, feel free to ask or DM.

I obviously have the papers from both online August sittings if anyone needs them.

mayolaw wrote: »

I just made sure to show her that I was putting my notes behind me before I began (they were in plain sight, on a dressing table right behind me for the entire exam).[/QUOTE

im guessing too that we share our laptops screens?
    I didn't have to share my screen, but it would have been pretty obvious if I was doing something on it after the exam started.

I believe they just trusted that we had the exam paper, and the exam paper only, open.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement