Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 BugsySiegel

Hey folks, can anyone tell me how the scanning answer books part of the online exams is going to work? For example do we have to download specific software. I know the LS will be clarifying this but 'Id like to know now as I'm not very tech savvy. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭shaunadennyham

Hey folks, can anyone tell me how the scanning answer books part of the online exams is going to work? For example do we have to download specific software. I know the LS will be clarifying this but 'Id like to know now as I'm not very tech savvy. Thanks.

None of us know for sure as details haven’t been released. Go back a couple of posts and read the post re how it was done in august. Assume it’ll be the same but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

I think someone alluded to this before, but now I'm stressing about not having a paper copy of the exam paper, as I go nuts with highlighting, underlining & making notes on it. Feel like it'll be super hard to take in the questions just reading them off a screen :( Anyone have any tips on how to deal with this?

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    I think someone alluded to this before, but now I'm stressing about not having a paper copy of the exam paper, as I go nuts with highlighting, underlining & making notes on it. Feel like it'll be super hard to take in the questions just reading them off a screen :( Anyone have any tips on how to deal with this?

If you have a printer at home bring it into the room and print the paper off when it appears online - I assume law society will be able to confirm if this is allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

EmmaO94 wrote: »

I will email on Monday and ask about this and I'll let you know (if they respond to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FE1s202020

I need property exam papers and reports from 2016 upwards if anybody is willing to swap. I can swap for constitutional, tort, contract or equity up to 2019. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iana2017

Hi guys..all this is so stressful... but to be honest I'm happy that online exams does not mean i have to type....was really panicking here for a minute... my typing speed not great...

I am looking for updated grids for tort and Constitution if any good souls could share 😠...much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

iana2017 wrote: »
    Hi guys..all this is so stressful... but to be honest I'm happy that online exams does not mean i have to type....was really panicking here for a minute... my typing speed not great...

I am looking for updated grids for tort and Constitution if any good souls could share 😠...much appreciated

I have last year's tort grid and this years Con grid, DM me your email.

Does anyone know if Moore v DPP [2016] IEHC 244 has gone to the SC yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Shonagoring123

What topics is anyone doing for company? So stressed how to break it down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    I have last year's tort grid and this years Con grid, DM me your email.

Could I have a constitutional grid please I have loads to swap

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scarson216

iana2017 wrote: »

We don’t know for sure any details of if it’s typed / written yet do we? Or did I miss info given yesterday? Genuinely asking as it’s hard to keep up lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

scarson216 wrote: »
    We don’t know for sure any details of if it’s typed / written yet do we? Or did I miss info given yesterday? Genuinely asking as it’s hard to keep up lol

No we have not yet been told, I think most people are following what the LS did for the august online sittings, I kind of wish we had the option, my hand writing is terrible! :(

What topics is anyone doing for company? So stressed how to break it down

do you have an exam grid? I found that very useful when deciding on topics, I am focusing on Directors/duties/restriction/disqualification, corporate personality, liquidation/winding up, share transfer/shareholder protection and remedies, corporate borrowings and disposition of company assets. I am also going to go over the advantages of incorporation!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fe119

What is our money being used for if the exam is being held over zoom? Very poor

Fe119 wrote: »
    What is our money being used for if the exam is being held over zoom? Very poor

I forgot about that lol
    But I'd say the online invigilation could be pretty pricey, and then if it is the same as the August sitting they'll have to send us out answer booklets in the post and still have the usual costs of paying the examiners to correct it etc.

On the bright side those of us not from Dublin will be saving €100+ on hotels per exam

• Registered Users Posts: 37 FE1Pleb

Hey,
    Hope everyone is well after the sh1t-show that has been the last two weeks.
    Does anyone have an up to date grid for Property that they would be willing to share?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tommytimber

Hi, has anyone else not received the email ??

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Hi, has anyone else not received the email ??

I haven't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

William Fry is another firm not doing milk rounds this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

LS3 wrote: »
    William Fry is another firm not doing milk rounds this year!

They're holding an event in November for their summer interns and recruiting trainees from that pool, and they've ditched the traditional Milkrounds for this year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Anybody know the topics that came up in Tort in August? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

Anyone have tips on topics to focus on in EU? Thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

Hi! Does anyone know some topics that came up in Criminal, apart from the usual ones like murder etc? Hoping for classification of offences and strict liability. Thanks!

Jenosul wrote: »

• The intuitions
    • Nature of EU law, supremacy and direct effect
    • Free movement of persons/ citizenship
    • Free movement of goods
    • Competition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Direct effect
    QRs or MEQRs and discriminatory tax
    Anulement orders
    These 3 topics seems to come up in nearly every paper.
    Oh yeah competition, but I left it our as it's a huge topic

Anybody know the topics that came up in Tort in August? Thank you

Tort in August was:

Res Ipsa (essay)
    Causation/Trespass/ Nuisance/RvF/ Fire PQ
    Trespass to the person (Intentional Infliction of Emotional harm)
    Passing Off
    Defamation
    Liability for Defective Products
    PQ involving Negligence (DOC/ SOC/ Causation/ Remoteness) and Liability for children
    Limitation Periods (essay)

[This was for the physical sitting in Dublin, unsure what came up for the online paper].

Besides SOP , any other key areas for Constitution?

awsah wrote: »
    • The intuitions
    • Nature of EU law, supremacy and direct effect
    • Free movement of persons/ citizenship
    • Free movement of goods
    • Competition

Also Judicial Review comes up in every sitting, always asking about the difficulty of getting standing for individuals (usually an essay but I believe it was a PQ twice, again asking about getting standing)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Jenosul wrote: »

Direct effect, state liability and supremecy come up every exam.
    MEQRs and Art 36 exemptions
    Institutions of EU
    Art 263 Judicial Review
    Freedom moment of people and citizenship
    Competiton Art 101 and 102

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

Can anyone tell me what happened in White v The Bar Council (Right to earn a livelihood)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Fe123 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what happened in White v The Bar Council (Right to earn a livelihood)

I haven't read the case but basically it was a successful challenge by a retired judge Mr Justice White to restrictions on retired judges being allowed resume practice as barristers. As it's a relatively recent case, the judgment should be on courts.ie

Creol1 wrote: »
    I haven't read the case but basically it was a successful challenge by a retired judge Mr Justice White to restrictions on retired judges being allowed resume practice as barristers. As it's a relatively recent case, the judgment should be on courts.ie

I know he is currently a practicing barrister so he won his case but I know that from being around the CCJ I haven't studied the case. Essentially what I have been told is that when he retired as a judge he wanted to go back to being a barrister but the bar council would not allow him, I believe it was for conflict of interest reasons as he would know all of the judges. He took a case and won and is now a senior counsel

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ellachapman96

Does anyone have the contract law Oct 2019 report they could give me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Shonagoring123

awsah wrote: »
    do you have an exam grid? I found that very useful when deciding on topics, I am focusing on Directors/duties/restriction/disqualification, corporate personality, liquidation/winding up, share transfer/shareholder protection and remedies, corporate borrowings and disposition of company assets. I am also going to go over the advantages of incorporation!

Could you please please send me a grid

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Any recent cases which may be of interest for Constitutional? I think the case note question tends to be quite topica cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Any recent cases which may be of interest for Constitutional? I think the case note question tends to be quite topica cases?

Also, does anyone know when the papers are written?
    I'm also wondering if there are any recent important cases and unsure how recent to look... would cases from this summer be too recent to have been included on the paper?

Could you please please send me a grid

sure just pm me your email

Hazel774 wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know when the papers are written?
    I'm also wondering if there are any recent important cases and unsure how recent to look... would cases from this summer be too recent to have been included on the paper?

Doesn't really matter. You're being examined on the day of the exam not the day the paper was written. If there is a new case since the writing of the paper that is relevant to a problem question or essay on the paper, sitick it in. The examiner will likely be aware of it and expect you to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter. You're being examined on the day of the exam not the day the paper was written. If there is a new case since the writing of the paper that is relevant to a problem question or essay on the paper, sitick it in. The examiner will likely be aware of it and expect you to discuss it.

Thanks, if I get any recent cases I will try to include them in PQ's and essays.
    But I just meant in terms of direct case note questions - because if I manage to find recent cases I would usually just learn a few lines on them, but I know for constitutional he asks case note questions which can include recent cases, so I would have to learn those in a bit more detail
    Basically I don't want to learn 2-3 pages on a case from June or July if the paper was written before that, because if it's too recent to be a case note I would only get the opportunity to write a small paragraph on it, if that makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Would anyone have the most recent papers or reports (october 19 / march 2020) for Company or Contract law please?

I listened to this podcast all day https://examstudyexpert.com/podcast/ and got some brilliant tips, if anyone's struggling with timing or something specific, i'd say you'll find your solution with this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Has the dates for the exams been removed from the LS website?

I dont think they went up, individual emails were sent...more details to follow this week.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Has the dates for the exams been removed from the LS website?

Yea ages ago when they cancelled the October sitting

New dates:

TIMETABLE

Law of Torts Tuesday 03 November 2020
    Company Law Wednesday 04 November 2020
    Criminal Law Thursday 05 November 2020
    Law of Property Friday 06 November 2020

Equity Tuesday 10 November 2020
    Constitutional Law Wednesday 11 November 2020
    Law of Contract Thursday 12 November 2020
    Law of the European Union Friday 13 November 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Smiley283

Could someone please send me a contract law grid?

I have an EU or Company grid I can send you in return :)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

It'll be interesting to see what info we're getting about the exams "early this week".

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Smiley283 wrote: »
    Could someone please send me a contract law grid?

I have an EU or Company grid I can send you in return :)

I can email you the exam grid for contract :) you can send a private message with your email

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

anybody sit the exams online in August?

I'm freaked a bit because i have no laptop / access to sufficient WIFI.
    i heard in August candidates had the option of writing their answers and scanning? although ive no scanner..
    just looking for some sort of inkling of what to expect as ive never done online exams.

lawDani wrote: »
    anybody sit the exams online in August?

I'm freaked a bit because i have no laptop / access to sufficient WIFI.
    i heard in August candidates had the option of writing their answers and scanning? although ive no scanner..
    just looking for some sort of inkling of what to expect as ive never done online exams.

You’re going to need to get a laptop and make sure you have WiFi. You use your mobile phone to scan the answer booklet but unsure if this will be done for November sitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Amanda226

Hi guys just wondering if anyone would have the last two company exam papers october 19 and March 2020? Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement