Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

sm333 wrote: »
    I never received an email like this but only got two in my first sitting, one of which I'm supposed to be resitting in March. Anyone know more about this carrying forward thing??

Check your emails, mine came 30th Jan.

“Dear Candidate,

You may be aware that following the coming into operation on 1 January 2020 of The Solicitors Acts 1954 to 2011 (Apprenticeship and Education) (Amendment) Regulations 2019 (S.I. No 503 of 2019), a candidate sitting the FE-1 post-January 2020 will be deemed to have passed each examination they actually pass. The previous applicable Regulations required a candidate initially to pass at least three of the eight FE-1 examinations in order to be able to carry forward those passes to a subsequent FE-1 sitting. Any FE-1 examination passed short of that minimum of three would not have been permitted to carry forward any passes actually obtained.

If you fall into this category and if you intend to sit the next FE-1 sitting (March 2020) or any subsequent FE-1 sitting your attention is brought to the fact that it is open to you to apply to the Education Committee to consider exempting you from re-sitting any FE1 examination previously passed by you but not then carried forward, which application would be considered by the Committee in its particular context.”

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

Check your emails, mine came 30th Jan.

“Dear Candidate,

You may be aware that following the coming into operation on 1 January 2020 of The Solicitors Acts 1954 to 2011 (Apprenticeship and Education) (Amendment) Regulations 2019 (S.I. No 503 of 2019), a candidate sitting the FE-1 post-January 2020 will be deemed to have passed each examination they actually pass. The previous applicable Regulations required a candidate initially to pass at least three of the eight FE-1 examinations in order to be able to carry forward those passes to a subsequent FE-1 sitting. Any FE-1 examination passed short of that minimum of three would not have been permitted to carry forward any passes actually obtained.

If you fall into this category and if you intend to sit the next FE-1 sitting (March 2020) or any subsequent FE-1 sitting your attention is brought to the fact that it is open to you to apply to the Education Committee to consider exempting you from re-sitting any FE1 examination previously passed by you but not then carried forward, which application would be considered by the Committee in its particular context.”

Thank you!! Definitely didn't receive an email but I contacted them and they just sent me on the form there. Do we know if anyone has carried over passes from before October 2019? On the form it refers to any exams pre 1 Jan 2020 but I'm afraid I'm getting my hopes up here as I sat (and passed two of) my first three a year ago!!

Thank you!! Definitely didn't receive an email but I contacted them and they just sent me on the form there. Do we know if anyone has carried over passes from before October 2019? On the form it refers to any exams pre 1 Jan 2020 but I'm afraid I'm getting my hopes up here as I sat (and passed two of) my first three a year ago!!

Yeah if you go back a few pages folks got them carried forward

Yeah if you go back a few pages folks got them carried forward

Ok you are really saving my day right now.

THANK YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 LJones18

Which topics are people covering for Tort, Property, Constitutional and Criminal?

Would be grateful for any help trying to narrow down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Anyone have an up-to-date grid for Constitutional?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Any predictions for company my good people?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luimneachabu73

Does anyone know which topic Q1 of the Property Oct 19 exam was? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EAA123

Hi

Does anyone have a copy of eu October 2019 paper

Can swap for others

Thanks

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: A reminder to members that no trading is allowed in this thread other than exam grids.

The opening post on this thread sets out the history behind this rule.

• Advertisement

So I have notes done for -

Interpretation
    President/AG
    Oireachtas
    Courts
    SOP
    Referendums
    Unenumerated Rights
    Personal Rights
    Fair Procedure
    Freedom of Expression
    Equality
    Family/Education
    Property Rights
    Religious Freedom
    Proportionality
    Judicial Review

I'm thinking I'll probably need to cut this down a bit. On the other hand I'm wondering if I should cover Trial in Due Course...it's so hard to know what to cover :(

Thank you so much, and I know!! I would love to aim to do all of them but there’s just no way I could learn off enough case law so think I will stick with the above and be able to do fewer topics more thoroughly

The very best of luck 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Thank you so much, and I know!! I would love to aim to do all of them but there’s just no way I could learn off enough case law so think I will stick with the above and be able to do fewer topics more thoroughly

The very best of luck 😊

I am hoping to cover those topics bar for the Oireachtas and the courts but instead I’ll have trial in due course. I hope is enough

Does anyone know if Kerins judgment made an appearance on October Con paper? Are we expecting it for March?

Would love some guidance on this too, if we think there's a shot it would be a handy Q to cover well!!

Would love some guidance on this too, if we think there's a shot it would be a handy Q to cover well!!

It didn’t come up in October

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Hi Guys,

EU - Direct Effect – so the PQs all seem to follow the same logic. Directive x was not transposed in time. John wants to sue 1) the private company 2) the state – discuss

When we are discussing the private company, we are saying no horizontal direct effect.
    Am I correct in saying we are saying it is open for the courts to interpret the national legislation, in line with the Directive, retrospectively as per Marleasing? So they can’t go after the private company because no horizontal direct effect, but in a way they can through indirect effect.

Then go on to Member State Liability for 2)

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭scooby321

CMUL wrote: »
    I am currently doing constitution for the first time. My understanding of the question is its just the delegation of legislation and the principle and policy test set out in Pigs Marketing, Cityview Press v Anco, Harvey v Min for Social Welfare, McDaid and some of the more recent cases John Fried Chicken and Bederev. McKerins is only relevent to internal matters of the Oireachtas in relation to privilege and McCrystal relates to referenda.

This makes sense. I did the non-delegation doctrine. Kerins weren't purely internal though because she wasn't a member of the Dáil? I just said that the court noted in Kerins that an agency set up by the Oireachtas will have the same protections afforded while carrying out those functions. So in Diesel Fuels that agency would have the same protections as the Oireachtas, but that they encroached on judicial territory per SOP because of the criminal sanctions. And I said McCrystal because the court said they will intervene (on the actions of the Oireachtas/agency of it) in extreme circumstances but didn't say when.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭niamh1612

Hey guys,
    I have just started studying for EU and Criminal, could anybody shed some light on the vital topics they're studying and if they have exam grids that would be AMAZING, if anyone needs grids or notes for equity property and contract I can send them on as a swap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

So I have notes done for -

Interpretation
    President/AG
    Oireachtas
    Courts
    SOP
    Referendums
    Unenumerated Rights
    Personal Rights
    Fair Procedure
    Freedom of Expression
    Equality
    Family/Education
    Property Rights
    Religious Freedom
    Proportionality
    Judicial Review

I'm thinking I'll probably need to cut this down a bit. On the other hand I'm wondering if I should cover Trial in Due Course...it's so hard to know what to cover :(

What other exams are you sitting this round iamaneingine? I vaguely remember us doing mostly the same subjects in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Does anyone know which topic Q1 of the Property Oct 19 exam was? Cheers

It was a question on the significant changes introduced by the Land And Conveyacing Law reform Act 2009. I have a draft answer completed if you want me to email it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

What other exams are you sitting this round iamaneingine? I vaguely remember us doing mostly the same subjects in October.

EU, Constitutional, Equity, Company and Tort.

Last time I did Criminal, Property, Contract and Tort, failed Tort.

Still in the note making stage at the moment, think I'll have the pretty much wrapped up for by Monday. Hoping that leaves me with enough time for studying. 5 in one go is a big ask though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

lauralouwa wrote: »
    could you send on equity grid please?

Couldn't also get the grid please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 PerryMason2020

niamh1612 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I have just started studying for EU and Criminal, could anybody shed some light on the vital topics they're studying and if they have exam grids that would be AMAZING, if anyone needs grids or notes for equity property and contract I can send them on as a swap :)

Hi, I haven't studied EU yet so I can't speak on that, but for Criminal I am trying to cover as much of the course as possible. Criminal is one of those exams where you could be asked 4-6 different topics within one problem question.

He seems fond of asking about the classification of crimes, detention, bail, special criminal court etc, but also to know the assaults, murder, manslaughter, sexual offences, property offences, a few defences...

Topics like threats to kill and false imprisonment are worth knowing due to how short and straightforward they are, handy to have and not hard to learn.

Harassment seems to come up a fair bit too so worth looking at and again it's an easy topic to learn - might be worth having a read over DPP v Doherty [2019] IECA 209 (available on beta.courts.ie).

It can feel like there is a lot to learn (which there is) but I'm finding that once I break each topic down, it's not so bad.

I don't have any exam grids, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

Reya10 wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to order past papers in just one subject from the Law Society? I was looking at the website and it seems as though it you can only order all the papers for one sitting, at 6 euro each? Seems very pricey if you want to get the past few years and don't need all the subjects!

You're better to contact someone on the facebook page or donedeal about getting a full set for each subject!

Looking for october 2019 papers in company and contract if anyone has them. I have tort law in exchange

What are we covering for contract? Any tips/predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    What are we covering for contract? Any tips/predictions?

I would also love to know this.

I would also love to know this.

I was thinking along the lines of;

Offer/Acceptance, Consdieration, Damages, Mistake, Misrepresentation, Fristration, Discharge and possibly a look at Exemption Clauses.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Constitution

Are ppl covering ART 38.1 trial in due course of law?
    Massive topic which does not appear to come up too frequent. Is there particular sub topics one should def cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭niamh1612

I was thinking along the lines of;

Offer/Acceptance, Consdieration, Damages, Mistake, Misrepresentation, Fristration, Discharge and possibly a look at Exemption Clauses.

I'm thinking: Offer/Acceptance, Consideration, Consumer Protection(defo wouldnt leave out) Terms and Exemption Clauses, Mistake and Misrep, Remedies and Discharge. Does anyone think im missing anything vital!?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Is anyone else having any issues figuring out Q1 from March 2018? - The mother in her garden sunbathing, with her 17 year old child & his 17 year old friend running havoc around that garden?

According to my Grid the question covers Trespass/Rylands/Nuisance, Vicarious liability & Duty of Care. The examiner's report couldn't be less helpful on it either.

Surely Rylands v Fletcher doesn't extend to a tennis ball/ball originating from the defendants (the mothers) property, which hits the plaintiffs (Harry's) car on a main road ? (Unlike Bolton v Stone where both the the ball originated from D's private property to hit the plaintiff on the plaintiffs private property)

And for Nuisance, it couldn't be Private Nuisance because Harry's (plaintiff) car was on that road, which is presumably on public (council) property which defeats the neighbouring concept needed for a claim in Private Nuisance?

Absolute unit of a question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭EAA123

JCormac wrote: »
    Is anyone else having any issues figuring out Q1 from March 2018? - The mother in her garden sunbathing, with her 17 year old child & his 17 year old friend running havoc around that garden?

According to my Grid the question covers Trespass/Rylands/Nuisance, Vicarious liability & Duty of Care. The examiner's report couldn't be less helpful on it either.

Surely Rylands v Fletcher doesn't extend to a tennis ball/ball originating from the defendants (the mothers) property, which hits the plaintiffs (Harry's) car on a main road ? (Unlike Bolton v Stone where both the the ball originated from D's private property to hit the plaintiff on the plaintiffs private property)

And for Nuisance, it couldn't be Private Nuisance because Harry's (plaintiff) car was on that road, which is presumably on public (council) property which defeats the neighbouring concept needed for a claim in Private Nuisance?

Absolute unit of a question

It's a question concerning the duty of care and standard of care in relation to a parent child relationship. As Matthew is not her son you have to establish did she owe a duty to Harry in this regard.

nothing to do with rylands and fletcher rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bex20

What are people covering for Company? Don't have an up to date grid and trying to cut topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Constitution

Are ppl covering ART 38.1 trial in due course of law?
    Massive topic which does not appear to come up too frequent. Is there particular sub topics one should def cover?

I’d recommend doing it - once you break it down it’s actually grand and really easy to understand and remember compared to other Constitutional topics!

Is it worth covering defences in tort law? Doesn’t seem to come up too often and I’d love to leave it out!

Thoughts on EU law my fellow strugglers?

Is preping for case notes on Q8 madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Thoughts on EU law my fellow strugglers?

Is preping for case notes on Q8 madness?

Not doing case note question anyways.
    I am wondering what people are focusing on for the general principles and competition law as it seems guaranteed but a huge topic ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Do the office of public works have copies of the Constitution? Anyone know how much they are or are selling any?

Mod
    An Bunreacht available to borrow in most libraries.
    Sold in most bookshops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Advice for TORT???

Would really appreciate some guidance I don’t know where to begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leavingcert17

Hi does anyone have advice on law society fees? I don’t qualify for any grants, do firms pay for fees usually and pay you a wage?

For tort I’m looking at

All of negligence
    Trespass/Nuisance/Rylands
    Vicarious Liability
    Defective Products
    Damages
    Occupiers Liability
    Professional Neg
    Passing Off
    Limitation of Actions

Defamation was on the last two papers, and Employers liability on the last as far as I can make out, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coalition

Criminal - Sexual offences

Hey can anyone help/clarify the following for me?

The MR requirement for rape is subjective, i.e. the accused honestly believed the women was consenting so therefore lacks the requisite MR for rape.

But in the case of “consensual” intercourse by an adult with someone under the age of 15 this is an offence under section 2/section 16 of the 2006/2017 Acts and the test is whether they were reasonably mistaken as to the age of the child (on the balance of probabilities)? And consent is not a defence so is this also rape under section 4 of the 1981 Act?

• Advertisement

Constitutional

Hi guys, I am Looking for notes on the attorney general I have lots of other notes to swap.
    Tía

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Hi does anyone have advice on law society fees? I don’t qualify for any grants, do firms pay for fees usually and pay you a wage?

The bigger firms usually do, with the smaller firms it depends. Often you might pay the fees and they pay you a wage. Do ask about paying the fees through the firm and reimbursing them if they're unwilling to foot the bill. The reason to do this is that firms can claim tax credits on the fees so the total amount isn't as much.

Hi guys I’m really confused by constitutional law. I’m learnig the topics but am finding it so difficult to apply the correct ones to the exam questions. Anyone have any advice on this? Thanks :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Law1997 wrote: »
    Hi guys I’m really confused by constitutional law. I’m learnig the topics but am finding it so difficult to apply the correct ones to the exam questions. Anyone have any advice on this? Thanks :-(

Would also really like some help on this - the topics are mostly okay but it seems really hard to identify the issues in the problem questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

It was a question on the significant changes introduced by the Land And Conveyacing Law reform Act 2009. I have a draft answer completed if you want me to email it to you.

Could I get this draft
    I’ve loads to give in return if u need it

Does anyone have Constitutional notes for Judicial Review and/or Fair Procedures?

Can swap for any other notes or (fairly) recent exam papers or grids or anything just seriously struggling with these two topics and would owe you forever :eek:

Does anyone have Constitutional notes for Judicial Review and/or Fair Procedures?

Can swap for any other notes or (fairly) recent exam papers or grids or anything just seriously struggling with these two topics and would owe you forever :eek:

I have them. I am looking for some concise notes on the attorney general if you have it. Pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6 law405

Any chance anyone has an up to date equity grid and maybe some predictions for tort? do we think defamation could come up again after being up so many times? also professional negligence has been up twice in a row according to my grid..

law405 wrote: »
    Any chance anyone has an up to date equity grid and maybe some predictions for tort? do we think defamation could come up again after being up so many times? also professional negligence has been up twice in a row according to my grid..

I’m not doing Defamation, surely can’t come up again. Do you have a grid that includes October 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 law405

Yes have tort grid but no equity grid!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement