Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LawLearnin

lawgrad15 wrote: »
    I felt the same in March and it actually only came to me quite close to the exams.

For me, I did I think 3 essays in the exam. My opinion is that the essays tend to repeat themselves and there are only a limited amount of topics. So I would get a decent exam grid and look at the past questions. Rather than wasting time learning essays, go through the exam reports and note the main points/arguments you could make for each.

After that, for the problem questions, I would sit down and try and do them by topic e.g. homicide, sexual offences etc. However, I do know there is a huge amount of overlap. Make sure to print a copy of the examiner's reports as they are a huge asset to studying for criminal. They are really detailed.

In terms of the exam, make sure you can spot the issues in a problem question. Sometimes there will be quite a few issues in the question. By doing preparation questions, you will begin to spot the issues easily after a while.

Another really important point is re legislation. Make sure you know the main legislative provisions. Know also the actus reus and mens rea also.

In terms of case law, the amount I had varied on the topic. I hadn't a huge amount learned for topics like public offences but had way more for the likes of murder, manslaughter etc.

Also it's really worth knowing the defences really really well. They can be quite tricky so it's worth reading over those chapters a few times.

In conclusion, I think the best thing to do at this point is lots of exam questions. By doing similar questions, it will become easier for you to identify the issues and cases will become more familiar also. His reports are by far the most detailed out of all the examiners so do have a look at them while doing the questions.

Good luck with it. I thought mine was like a dogs dinner and got 70 in it. Really disliked criminal in uni. Felt it clicked with me 4 days before the exam so still lots of time left =)

Thanks for this, that's a great break down for approaching Criminal!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lawstudent123

Hello, I'm sitting Equity and Contract and just wondering if anyone here sat them in Spring 2020 and remembers what topics were asked?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Praying to dear God that they extend the exams to 2 weeks later to let candidates prepare for the online sittings.

That would be too straightforward for the LS to even consider doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Hi All,

Just want to say thank you for all of the support and advice. I know its a terribly stressful time but this thread is great for the support they give each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

In relation to results, surely we get a letter to say that we passed all 8 and can give that to our firm???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 TheLawGuy

Could I please have an up to date Tort Grid/ sample answers off someone? I can swap materials in contract/company and 2019 materials for property /criminal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

TheLawGuy wrote: »
    Could I please have an up to date Tort Grid/ sample answers off someone? I can swap materials in contract/company and 2019 materials for property /criminal :)
    If you pm me your email I can send them on when I get home. Grind only goes to oct 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

Has anyone else still not gotten their results letter from the March sitting?

Not sure if this is too off topic but... traineeship applications that ask for a photo? Does this really have to be a professional headshot? Surely it’s just for identification purposes and a passport style one would suffice? Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭shaunadennyham

Not sure if this is too off topic but... traineeship applications that ask for a photo? Does this really have to be a professional headshot? Surely it’s just for identification purposes and a passport style one would suffice? Anyone know?

Yea you don’t need a professional one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    Has anyone else still not gotten their results letter from the March sitting?

Haven't gotten mine either. All I have is a screenshot of my results

SKLaw wrote: »
    Haven't gotten mine either. All I have is a screenshot of my results

Thanks, it's strange that some people got them and others didn't. But obviously not surprising at this stage

Thanks, it's strange that some people got them and others didn't. But obviously not surprising at this stage

Yeah, I feel like nothing surprises me anymore at this stage haha I don't know whether to email and request it considering they don't have a good track record for answering emails recently

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Samuma

Hi everyone. Very(!) long time lurker and now taking the plunge and sitting exams next month. I graduated many years ago so you could say I have started afresh.
    I am sitting Constitution, Criminal, Equity and Tort. I lost my job last month so I am fortunate in a way that I can commit to studying. (Trying to look for silver linings and all that...I can address the job situation when I finish the exams!!).

I am wondering if anyone has any grids or other materials to share that would guide me. I am working from old notes I have and trying to update them with Night Before Notes and online research. I do not have access to text books nor can I really afford to buy them unfortunately.

Thanks for your advice so far. It has been very helpful to read and has stopped me from panicking.
    I don't have any materials to swap but I promise I will light candles in return:)

SKLaw wrote: »
    Yeah, I feel like nothing surprises me anymore at this stage haha I don't know whether to email and request it considering they don't have a good track record for answering emails recently

I've emailed asking for it several times since May and they never respond, so there's probably no point tbh

I only got one response about it, it was when they set up the new helpline and she said she can't help me with that

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Samuma wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Very(!) long time lurker and now taking the plunge and sitting exams next month. I graduated many years ago so you could say I have started afresh.
    I am sitting Constitution, Criminal, Equity and Tort. I lost my job last month so I am fortunate in a way that I can commit to studying. (Trying to look for silver linings and all that...I can address the job situation when I finish the exams!!).

I am wondering if anyone has any grids or other materials to share that would guide me. I am working from old notes I have and trying to update them with Night Before Notes and online research. I do not have access to text books nor can I really afford to buy them unfortunately.

Thanks for your advice so far. It has been very helpful to read and has stopped me from panicking.
    I don't have any materials to swap but I promise I will light candles in return:)

Just sent you a DM.

I've emailed asking for it several times since May and they never respond, so there's probably no point tbh

I only got one response about it, it was when they set up the new helpline and she said she can't help me with that

Not even a redirection as to who can help..i guess we're just gonna have to wait and see if we'll ever get it

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AnnabelleK

Bit of topic but is anyone trying to do these exams with a baby? I'm really struggling to find the time to study. I have a 7 month old teething baby who barely sleeps at night and during the day wants my attention. I have no one that could mind her.
    I signed up to do contract, criminal and equity. I'm not confident I will pass any. Any tips are welcome. Thank you

pm me your email me I have lots of materials for tort and criminal

AnnabelleK wrote: »
    Bit of topic but is anyone trying to do these exams with a baby? I'm really struggling to find the time to study. I have a 7 month old teething baby who barely sleeps at night and during the day wants my attention. I have no one that could mind her.
    I signed up to do contract, criminal and equity. I'm not confident I will pass any. Any tips are welcome. Thank you

would you record yourself talking the notes into a recording app on your phone and then you can listen to them with earphones while feeding etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

Hi guys, anyone know where I can get March 2020 examiner reports? They dont have them on the LS website

fe1fi20 wrote: »
    Hi guys, anyone know where I can get March 2020 examiner reports? They dont have them on the LS website

Unfortunately if they aren't available there then they haven't been released yet.

If you want to pm me I have Equity materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Random question and I know this is probably different for everyone, but how many hours of study a day/week are people aiming to do at this point up until the exams? I am always paranoid that I am not doing enough!

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Random question and I know this is probably different for everyone, but how many hours of study a day/week are people aiming to do at this point up until the exams? I am always paranoid that I am not doing enough!

we are all going to be at different levels so its hard to compare, some people have a law degree, some don't, some are working, some aren't etc. Also some people are really good learners and just absorb information and others need to work harder! I, for instance do not have a law background and I am working full time, if I get 4 hours done a day I am lucky and I'm so tired I really not sure that anything is even going in!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Debarramike137

hi guys, does anyone have recent criminal papers to swap? thanks a lot

hi guys, does anyone have recent criminal papers to swap? thanks a lot

pm me your email, I have up until oct 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

awsah wrote: »
    we are all going to be at different levels so its hard to compare, some people have a law degree, some don't, some are working, some aren't etc. Also some people are really good learners and just absorb information and others need to work harder! I, for instance do not have a law background and I am working full time, if I get 4 hours done a day I am lucky and I'm so tired I really not sure that anything is even going in!

I’m the same! Working and lucky to get 4 hours in a day. Quality of study is poor on account of being wrecked 24/7 lol but we’ll get there!

Just got an email from law society!

• Advertisement

Just got an email from law society!

Introduction
    As a result of the recent COVID-19 restrictions in Ireland, it is not possible for the Law Society to hold
    the FE-1 examinations in-person this year. Instead, these will be made available online using an
    Examination Management System. Each FE-1 examination will be provided on our online
    examination platform which will allow you to type your answers to the examination questions on
    this platform. The online examination system we will be using provides an easy way of sitting your
    exams in the comfort of your own home, while still ensuring the integrity of the examination process
    (through proctoring/invigilation). A mock examination will be arranged for Thursday 22 October –
    this will help you to get familiar with the system, and minimize the risk of any technical issues on the
    day. Further details will be circulated tomorrow.
    Requirements

Desktop, Laptop, or Chromebook
    Intel Pentium / ARM Processor
    250 MB of Free Disk Space
    2GB of Free RAM
    Windows 7+, Mac OS 10.11+,
    Ubuntu 18.04+, Chrome OS 58+

A tablet or virtual machine is not
    a suitable device to sit your
    exams online.

Google Chrome Web Browser
    Latest version
    You will need the ability to install a browser
    plugin, and grant access to your webcam
    and microphone

Internet Connection
    A stable & reliable internet connection with
    an upload speed of 0.244 MB+ is required

Webcam
    Built-in / External
    640 X 480 VGA resolution (min)

Microphone
    Built-in / External

Access to a phone
    If you encounter any issues during the exam,
    you will need access to a phone to contact a
    member of the Law Society.

Workspace
    • It is recommended that you sit your exam in a quiet room, with no pass-through traffic or
    unwanted distractions.
    • Please make sure your computer is plugged-in to a power source, and is not running on
    battery power for your examination.
    • If you are using an internet connection that is shared with other members of your
    household, please ask them to avoid using it heavily during your examination, as this may
    affect your internet speed.
    • You are only allowed to have the following materials on your workspace:
     Photo ID (i.e. passport / driving licence);
     Permitted legislation;
     Tissues, if required;
     Clock / watch – smart watches are not permitted;
     Phone - turned off and face down (unless you encounter an issue during the exam
    and need to contact a member of the Law Society).

• At any point before / during the exam, your workspace must be ready for inspection.
    Examination Rules
    • External communication with anyone is not allowed during the examination.
    • Do not leave your workspace during the examination.
    • Your webcam and microphone must remain on during the examination.
    • Do not have any other applications open on the computer during the examination.
    • Please be available for up to 30 minutes before the scheduled examination start time.
    If any of the above requirements prove problematic, we will try and address your concerns by
    providing adapted arrangements. If you have any questions, please contact Shirley Foley at 01-
    672 4965.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

email sent out there by law society...exam will be typed not looking forward to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Introduction
    As a result of the recent COVID-19 restrictions in Ireland, it is not possible for the Law Society to hold
    the FE-1 examinations in-person this year. Instead, these will be made available online using an
    Examination Management System. Each FE-1 examination will be provided on our online
    examination platform which will allow you to type your answers to the examination questions on
    this platform. The online examination system we will be using provides an easy way of sitting your
    exams in the comfort of your own home, while still ensuring the integrity of the examination process
    (through proctoring/invigilation). A mock examination will be arranged for Thursday 22 October –
    this will help you to get familiar with the system, and minimize the risk of any technical issues on the
    day.

A mock exam?? I really hope it won't be for the full 3 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sunnylegal

So does this mean that there will be an invigilator watching us at any given time? Ie it is not open book

sunnylegal wrote: »
    So does this mean that there will be an invigilator watching us at any given time? Ie it is not open book

sounds like it, they will be watching your computer screen aswell, really don't trust us as a group it would seem!

sunnylegal wrote: »

Yes that is what it sounds like and with the proctoring we can't open any tabs. We can only use the legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Fe123

Is anybody else really overwhelmed that we have to type our exam

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lcs3

Anyone else not get that email?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

Iso_123 wrote: »

I’m lucky to get 2 hours a day done! Eeek!

lcs3 wrote: »

I haven’t

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

What exactly will be the content of this "mock exam"? How long is it going to be?

I'm working that day and the law society has given us their usual short notice and I will struggle to get that day off to do this poxy thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Fe123 wrote: »
    Is anybody else really overwhelmed that we have to type our exam

This is my last exam and my typing speed is fairly slow,fairly nervous now about getting over the line, we will surely need a little more time at that rate, there’s defo someone on hear has a come up with a unique way to use notes, I’d be interested to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

lcs3 wrote: »

I didn't get it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Law20213

They should just rename the exams the hunger games!!

Typed exams have they lost the plot entirely The Fe1s are tough exams on good day but now there impossible

My typing speed is **** not to mention all the spelling mistakes and no time to spell check.

Why can’t we write our answers like the online exams in august for the 3 lockdown counties.

Who the hell decided that typed fe1 exams would be good idea

I am raging!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Can't wait for the inevitable 'typed exams will be marked harder than written exams' arguments to pop up again

:)

Lallers96 wrote: »
    What exactly will be the content of this "mock exam"? How long is it going to be?

I'm working that day and the law society has given us their usual short notice and I will struggle to get that day off to do this poxy thing

I'm working too and there is no way I'll get it off, so I assume we will be able to opt out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

So should typed exams be marked harder than written exams?

Can't wait for the inevitable 'typed exams will be marked harder than written exams' arguments to pop up again

:)

Hahaha I'll scream

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

No. Jesus.

dobby896 wrote: »
    I'm working too and there is no way I'll get it off, so I assume we will be able to opt out?

I am hoping they will be only 20 mins and at lunchtime so I can attend otherwise I won't be able to. :( work will definitely not give me the time.

Why would they be marked harder

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement