Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

Hazel774 wrote: »
    It will be the classic 6pm update so that we don't have the opportunity to ask any questions..

Sure its only 72hrs late....what's a few more really. Not like the want us to do this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JayFE1

Tip for Constitutional: Aside from analysing papers, I’ve a gut feeling the Right to Die is coming up either next month or March. The Dying with Dignity Bill going through parliament and Gino Kenny has been in the media talking about it recently. It could be mixed with a referendum question too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

JayFE1 wrote: »
    Tip for Constitutional: Aside from analysing papers, I’ve a gut feeling the Right to Die is coming up either next month or March. The Dying with Dignity Bill going through parliament and Gino Kenny has been in the media talking about it recently. It could be mixed with a referendum question too.

Euthanasia for under 12s soon to be legal in Holland too

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Hey Guys,

Looking for an up to date Company Manual (PDF Version) if anyone wants to trade or sell, drop me a PM.

Recently passed Tort & EU in August sittings so have those up to date manuals to trade. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Would there really be an entire question on it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 bozzer198

Company law - CORPORATE AUTHORITY

I know ltds have unlimited capacity but the board can change that, can they?

I know the difference between actual and ostensible but just wondering whether either of those really apply in relation to ltds?

not sure what you mean, part 4 of the test for ostensible authority in the freeman and lockyer case no longer applies to ltds ,as ltds have the capacity to enter into any contract generally they see fit (s38) 2014 act gave unlimited capacity to ltds via the abolition of ultra vires, dno if this helps

bozzer198 wrote: »
    not sure what you mean, part 4 of the test for ostensible authority in the freeman and lockyer case no longer applies to ltds ,as ltds have the capacity to enter into any contract generally they see fit (s38) 2014 act gave unlimited capacity to ltds via the abolition of ultra vires, dno if this helps

Perfect, thanks so much! Sometimes you look over something so much you get confused. I didn’t know whether freeman applied to ltds at all basically. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

Has anybody got up to date property past papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bkm2020

nicolesd wrote: »
    (someone posted this on the Facebook group)

Hi All,

Was just in contact with the law society,
    The lady I was speaking with said if you’re not comfortable with sitting the exam online, write an email addressing the November FE1... email, stating you’re not comfortable sitting it online and you’ll rather have a physical sitting, they won’t be postponed till March so not to worry, they are just doing this to gather information and have alternatives for people who don’t want an online exam!
    Hope this helps! And the email will be sent out shortly so no need to panic!

Has anyone emailed the LS stating these concerns or received a reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ejm47

Hi Folks

Serious question here. Is it way too late to start studying now? Im down for Criminal, Equity and Contract. Trying to decide whether its doable now. I have good notes for the three but have done no study.

Would appreciate advice please.

No it's not! You can absolutely give it a good bash. Try to focus on two, probably criminal and contract and focus on the most likely topics, equity can be hit and miss so just try go over the 4 main topics and have an idea of some more and you might have a chance. Go through some notes and exam questions at the same time making plans for how you're gonna tackle them and you'll have a really good grasp on those being close to the exam.

So much of these stupid exams comes down to luck and a bit of legal flare so if you apply yourself for a couple of weeks I think you could stand just as good a chance as anyone of passing at least some of them! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

It will be the classic 6pm update so that we don't have the opportunity to ask any questions..

6:05 now... guess we won't get any info today so

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

I see LS have changed the Friday deadline to "Further details will be circulated to students by email shortly."

Swear to god, LS has to fundamentally change the way they do things. This is just a constant, stress-inducing, disrespectful mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ejm47

I see LS have changed the Friday deadline to "Further details will be circulated to students by email shortly."

Swear to god, LS has to fundamentally change the way they do things. This is just a constant, stress-inducing, disrespectful mess.

Yeah whatever about incompetence, it's blatantly obnoxious and that's unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Does anyone have a simple enough explanation of Crotty v An Taoiseach and Pringle v Government of Ireland for constitutional law please? I've yet to do EU law (never done it in college either) and for some reason can't seem to get my head around international relations and these two decisions! TIA

Euthanasia for under 12s soon to be legal in Holland too

Yeah, it will provide some uniformity to Dutch law as 1 - 12 year olds will be included. Not to be a pedantic Polly but you should really be saying The Netherlands especially in an exam. Holland is just two Northern regions. Portugal is another EU country going down this route if they get presidential approval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

so they went to the bother of updating the website WITH NO NEW INFORMATION. I actually feel like giving up! What happens if very few people are available for this mock exam and then on the actual day of the exam the whole system crashes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fe1Student20

They can't even provide any information for the upcoming exams, so I don't expect anyone to have any potential info on this, but has anyone who applied for re-checks of an August result heard anything from the LS with regard to potential dates of the new results being released?

JayFE1 wrote: »
    Yeah, it will provide some uniformity to Dutch law as 1 - 12 year olds will be included. Not to be a pedantic Polly but you should really be saying The Netherlands especially in an exam. Holland is just two Northern regions. Portugal is another EU country going down this route if they get presidential approval.

Sincere apologies. I couldn’t be bothered typing that out :)

So to recap... we have exams in 2 weeks, in a new format we have never used before, we have no information on the system, times, details of the exams. No confirmation of if we can even use the bathroom....and we paid €105 per exam for this privilege (not taking into account any prep courses).

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Spot on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

FE1new wrote: »
    So to recap... we have exams in 2 weeks, in a new format we have never used before, we have no information on the system, times, details of the exams. No confirmation of if we can even use the bathroom....and we paid €105 per exam for this privilege (not taking into account any prep courses).

It's just a total joke.

Some of us now face the additional stress of being out of work with Level 5 incoming until December 1st. It's a stressful time overall for everyone and this really isn't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Don't forget about the repeated reassurances that we would be given more information today (which tbh was already far too late to be giving us these important updates).
    And that's without even mentioning the statement on the website until a few hours ago saying that information would be provided on Friday 16th October, or the fact that only a select few people even got the email about the change in arrangements

They truly are a joke of a professional body, compare them to any other organisation and it's clear what a disgrace they are and the absolute disregard they have for us.

Why on earth did they announce that exams were going ahead from 3 November if they didn't have arrangements in place. We would have accepted it if they had just let us know that there was going to be a delay of one or two weeks while they finalised arrangements, all we wanted was a clear answer, one way or the other, on when exams would be.

But now they've gone ahead and confirmed that the exams will begin 3 November when they clearly have no idea what they are doing. At this point if they are planning on running these exams in two weeks they know how they are going to be run. If they do not know the finalised details at this stage then they will not be able to proceed with the exams in 2 weeks. It is seriously concerning that they will not share this information with us

The lack of communication is actually astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭123456789j

Hi guys, would anyone have any condensed equity more which they could swap? I have tort or criminal. Would help big time with my workload!

Plus, Penny’s is closing, Big Virgil van Dijk is out for the season and our Dolphin has gone missing. 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Angela21

Why on earth did they announce that exams were going ahead from 3 November if they didn't have arrangements in place. We would have accepted it if they had just let us know that there was going to be a delay of one or two weeks while they finalised arrangements, all we wanted was a clear answer, one way or the other, on when exams would be.

But now they've gone ahead and confirmed that the exams will begin 3 November when they clearly have no idea what they are doing. At this point if they are planning on running these exams in two weeks they know how they are going to be run. If they do not know the finalised details at this stage then they will not be able to proceed with the exams in 2 weeks. It is seriously concerning that they will not share this information with us

The lack of communication is actually astonishing.

Iam actually wondering if the level 5 restrictions will impact the exams. I wondering if online providers can do this from home ?

Angela21 wrote: »
    Iam actually wondering if the level 5 restrictions will impact the exams. I wondering if online providers can do this from home ?

Hmm thats a good point I hadn't thought of. Maybe that's why they havnt announced anything, they were probably hoping for an announcement on Friday....

awsah wrote: »
    Hmm thats a good point I hadn't thought of. Maybe that's why they havnt announced anything, they were probably hoping for an announcement on Friday....

Thats is my suspicion. And to be honest at this point even though I have so much work done I would be relieved. Too much back and fourth!!

Oh good point, I have no idea - do you think it would affect the online providers?
    I can't remember if any of the college exams that went online happened during the last lockdown? I guess it might also depend on what provider the LS are using

To be honest even if that was the problem the Law Society still should have communicated that to us, even a brief post on their website, rather than telling us we'd have an update Friday and then changing it to today and then just ignoring the fact that they never gave it to us today, a bit of common decency from them wouldn't go astray

• Advertisement

Oh good point, I have no idea - do you think it would affect the online providers?
    I can't remember if any of the college exams that went online happened during the last lockdown? I guess it might also depend on what provider the LS are using

To be honest even if that was the problem the Law Society still should have communicated that to us, even a brief post on their website, rather than telling us we'd have an update Friday and then changing it to today and then just ignoring the fact that they never gave it to us today, a bit of common decency from them wouldn't go astray

Totally agree. Treatment hasn't been great. If things are uncertain just tell us. But there is no communication

Honorary passes for all I say

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jhiutiug

Someone needs to put a post on their facebook or twitter page calling them out on the lack of respect they have shown fe1 candidates on this matter and get everyone to share the post. They won't be long giving us information then

Totally agree. Treatment hasn't been great. If things are uncertain just tell us. But there is no communication

Honorary passes for all I say

Lol I second that

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bkm2020

True. There was information released very quick after the journalist and TD replies...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

They can't even provide any information for the upcoming exams, so I don't expect anyone to have any potential info on this, but has anyone who applied for re-checks of an August result heard anything from the LS with regard to potential dates of the new results being released?

apparently we will be informed this week of a date no information at this time Carmel Kearney who is an exam administrator told me today she told me she will call me back with an update today and also told me that friday i have no hope at this stage she told me their main focus right nowis the online exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

123456789j wrote: »
    Hi guys, would anyone have any condensed equity more which they could swap? I have tort or criminal. Would help big time with my workload![/QUOTE

if you get them i would love them too have loads of materials i can send !

• Advertisement

A lot of the online companies seem to be based in America. I couldn’t see any in Ireland. I’d imagine it would be set up in such a way that whoever is “supervising” would be able to work from home though and that this would affect us being able to sit the exams?

The only difference would be if the Law Society couldn’t (and this is the big one) get their phones and emails etc in order before they start! Could imagine them cancelling it the night before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Got this email from the LS just now

The November sitting of the FE-1 will be delivered using an online examinations system (Better Examinations) and Proctorio software. Visual and audio recordings will be taken as you sit the examination.

BETTER EXAMINATIONS
    You will receive an email from Better Examinations shortly asking you to log on.
    Please see Instructions on how to log on to Better Examinations

CHROME BROWSER
    Our online exam system runs only on a Chrome browser, as previously advised.
    If you already have a Chrome browser installed on the device you are going to use to
    take the online FE-1 examination, please skip this step.
    If you do not have Chrome installed on the device you are going to use to take the online FE-1 examination, please click on the link below to download the latest version of Chrome.
    https://www.google.com/chrome/
    The above website will automatically detect which Operating System you have on your device (i.e. Windows, Mac, Other) and will offer a download and instructions for the latest version of Chrome.

MOCK/PRACTICE EXAMINATION
    Before the examination you may take a mock examination. In addition to familiarising yourself with the software, the mock examination also checks whether your hardware meets our Technical Requirements
    Please ensure that you use the same laptop/device you will use for your examinations in November. This is important as you will be asked to download some software on to your device before the mock examination starts. This software only has to be installed once and you will not have to install it again for the November examinations.
    If you are using a laptop/device provided by your employer please check that the security settings permit you to download software.

MOCK EXAMINATION TIMETABLE
    There will be two test sittings of the same examination paper (Criminal Law) on Thursday 22 October, at 10.00am and 2.00pm. You can log on to either sitting.

The purpose of the mock examination is to allow you to familiarise yourself with the online examination and you can leave the examination at any time. Any answers you provide will not be marked.

Update email guys

FINAL EXAMINATION – FIRST PART
    NOVEMBER 2020
    The November sitting of the FE-1 will be delivered using an online examinations
    system (Better Examinations) and Proctorio software. Visual and audio recordings
    will be taken as you sit the examination.

BETTER EXAMINATION
    You will receive an email from Better Examinations shortly asking you to log on.

CHROME BROWSER
    If you already have a Chrome browser installed on the device you are going to use to
    If you do not have Chrome installed on the device you are going to use to take the
    online FE-1 examination, please click on the link below to download the latest
    version of Chrome.
    The above website will automatically detect which Operating System you have on
    your device (i.e. Windows, Mac, Other) and will offer a download and instructions for
    the latest version of Chrome.

Before the examination you may take a mock examination. In addition to familiarising
    yourself with the software, the mock examination also checks whether your hardware
    meets our Technical Requirements
    Please ensure that you use the same laptop/device you will use for your
    examinations in November. This is important as you will be asked to download some
    software on to your device before the mock examination starts. This software only
    has to be installed once and you will not have to install it again for the November
    examinations.
    If you are using a laptop/device provided by your employer please check that the
    security settings permit you to download software.

There will be two test sittings of the same examination paper (Criminal Law) on
    Thursday 22 October, at 10.00am and 2.00pm. You can log on to either sitting.

The purpose of the mock examination is to allow you to familiarise yourself with the
    online examination and you can leave the examination at any time. Any answers you
    provide will not be marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

nicolesd wrote: »
    123456789j wrote: »
    Hi guys, would anyone have any condensed equity more which they could swap? I have tort or criminal. Would help big time with my workload![/QUOTE

if you get them i would love them too have loads of materials i can send !

I would love condensed Equity also. I have loads of other topics and materials to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Does anyone else think it's weird that the instruction video was only uploaded today?

i.e. I'm afraid this system hasn't been used before, or at least not widely, and there could be problems consequently

• Advertisement

Update email guys

FINAL EXAMINATION – FIRST PART
    NOVEMBER 2020
    The November sitting of the FE-1 will be delivered using an online examinations
    system (Better Examinations) and Proctorio software. Visual and audio recordings
    will be taken as you sit the examination.

BETTER EXAMINATION

CHROME BROWSER
    If you do not have Chrome installed on the device you are going to use to take the
    online FE-1 examination, please click on the link below to download the latest
    version of Chrome.
    The above website will automatically detect which Operating System you have on
    your device (i.e. Windows, Mac, Other) and will offer a download and instructions for
    the latest version of Chrome.

Before the examination you may take a mock examination. In addition to familiarising
    yourself with the software, the mock examination also checks whether your hardware
    meets our Technical Requirements
    Please ensure that you use the same laptop/device you will use for your
    examinations in November. This is important as you will be asked to download some
    software on to your device before the mock examination starts. This software only
    has to be installed once and you will not have to install it again for the November
    examinations.
    If you are using a laptop/device provided by your employer please check that the
    security settings permit you to download software.

There will be two test sittings of the same examination paper (Criminal Law) on
    Thursday 22 October, at 10.00am and 2.00pm. You can log on to either sitting.

The purpose of the mock examination is to allow you to familiarise yourself with the
    online examination and you can leave the examination at any time. Any answers you
    provide will not be marked.

Can we take this that the actual exams will be 4 hours instead of 3???

Can we take this that the exam will be 4 hours instead of 3???

I would make no assumptions, but surely they would have to extend time!

Once again they leave us with more questions than answers...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

I wouldn't think that's a guarantee just because the two mocks are 4 hours apart unfortunately..

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Um.. No obviously not

maggie95 wrote: »
    I wouldn't think that's a guarantee just because the two mocks are 4 hours apart unfortunately..

Ah sorry, I read that part completely wrong. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

I wouldn’t say so but surely they can give extra time if there’s been a delay or something

They still didn't give us any update on whether we can have a rough work sheet of paper beside us, if we print the exam paper, use the bathroom, will we have the option of handwriting the exam, etc.
    They never even told us what time the actual exams are on at?

Seriously why are they spreading this information over so many different emails and announcements rather than just giving us all of the information at once, particularly when we're way past the point of them even giving us a fair amount of notice at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

if there's two mocks why not do two subjects, and make it actually bloody useful

They still didn't give us any update on whether we can have a rough work sheet of paper beside us, if we print the exam paper, use the bathroom, will we have the option of handwriting the exam, etc.
    They never even told us what time the actual exams are on at?

Seriously why are they spreading this information over so many different emails and announcements rather than just giving us all of the information at once, particularly when we're way past the point of them even giving us a fair amount of notice at this stage

Agreed so much time to wait only see what time the mock exam is that most people probably cannot make and its the real exam most actually care about for things like extra time and rough work

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement