Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Law1997 wrote: »
    What are people doing for contract?
    Finding it huge and overwhelming
    Maybe I’m overthinking

I feel the same.

Offer & Acceptance
    Consideration & estoppel
    Ex clauses and fundamental breach
    EU consumer law
    Damages
    Misrepresentation and insurance contracts
    Mistake
    Capacity
    Frustration

For me, I find Offer, Acceptance and Considerstion the toughest.
    Any hints on what to really look at on these would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Any mods, can we access the previous version of this thread? It’s not in first post and the earliest this one goes is the later stages of October exams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I feel the same.

Offer & Acceptance
    Consideration & estoppel
    Ex clauses and fundamental breach
    EU consumer law
    Damages
    Misrepresentation and insurance contracts
    Mistake
    Capacity
    Frustration

For me, I find Offer, Acceptance and Considerstion the toughest.
    Any hints on what to really look at on these would be great.

I would add Terms as well, comes up most sittings, sometimes in more than 1 Q.
    Any mods, can we access the previous version of this thread? It’s not in first post and the earliest this one goes is the later stages of October exams

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057713228&page=233

There you go, that's been saved in my history forever :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭supercreative

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying that the EU examiner changed in 2015? Did the subjects which appaear change drastically as a result?

I have some stuff up as far as 2015 but questioning its usefulness now!!

Yes, as far as I know the intern and extern switched places? Either way for purposes of predictability I wouldn't look back further than 2015 - if you read through the 2016-2019 papers and compare them to the ones before that you'll notice a big difference in what topics are asked etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Hey all, hope study is going well ! Anyone get their letter of confirmation yet for the exam ??

I would add Terms as well, comes up most sittings, sometimes in more than 1 Q.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057713228&page=233

There you go, that's been saved in my history forever :rolleyes:

That’s brilliant, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

Ok if anyone can shed a bit of advice on this I’d be so grateful.

I have all my notes typed and printed, and have been learning for about a week - slowly. I’m so worried that I don’t have enough time to learn all in time for the exams.

My first exam is Constitutional on the 6th. That’s tomorrow 3 weeks. Help

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Law1997 wrote: »
    Ok if anyone can shed a bit of advice on this I’d be so grateful.

I have all my notes typed and printed, and have been learning for about a week - slowly. I’m so worried that I don’t have enough time to learn all in time for the exams.

My first exam is Constitutional on the 6th. That’s tomorrow 3 weeks. Help

You are in a very good position and have loads of time between now and the exam to learn the material.

Hey all, hope study is going well ! Anyone get their letter of confirmation yet for the exam ??

Not yet but got an email saying they received the money.

Does anyone have any predictions for Company? Pass rate was pretty bad for Spring 2019 but seems to have been more or less fine other than that in the past few years - there are definitely some easy and some hard questions that keep reappearing though so would appreciate some advice!

• Advertisement

You are in a very good position and have loads of time between now and the exam to learn the material.

Thank you :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Yes, as far as I know the intern and extern switched places? Either way for purposes of predictability I wouldn't look back further than 2015 - if you read through the 2016-2019 papers and compare them to the ones before that you'll notice a big difference in what topics are asked etc.

Care to share those topics? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

With tort.. when people say “all of negligence” what exactly does that include? I have causation,duty of care and standard of care..

Is hedley Byrne/negligent misstatement to be included too?

What about professional negligence and pure economic loss?

I’m struggling to link topics and know what to focus on/ where to start or end ;(

Sineaddh wrote: »
    With tort.. when people say “all of negligence” what exactly does that include? I have causation,duty of care and standard of care..

Is hedley Byrne/negligent misstatement to be included too?

What about professional negligence and pure economic loss?

I’m struggling to link topics and know what to focus on/ where to start or end ;(

Sorry I said this a few posts up, I basically meant:-

- DOC
    - Standard of Care
    - Causation
    - Res Ipsa
    - Pure Economic Loss/Neg Misstatement/Psych Damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Sorry I said this a few posts up, I basically meant:-

- DOC
    - Standard of Care
    - Causation
    - Res Ipsa
    - Pure Economic Loss/Neg Misstatement/Psych Damage

Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luimneachabu73

Criminal

Do you think it would be applicable to use criminal negligence manslaughter cases in an omissions liability question?

Thanks.

Jeremiah25 wrote: »
    Care to share those topics? :D

Did EU in October so can't really remember! Institutions, FMG, Direct Effect and Member State Liability are all important but I can't remember any of the other main ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Would anyone be willing to swap any of the revision course study manuals? As in the shortened versions that they release towards the end of the course? I will swap any for company. Thanks!

Obviously it depends on the person, but how is that in any way a bad position to be in? I know people who have sat and passed the 8 exams in one sitting, while working full time. For the last sitting, I was literally writing essays the morning of the exams and passed. You'll be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

For anyone studying Constitution, I have noticed that my study notes consist mainly of case law notes, and don't contain as many legal principles/tests as my notes did for any other FE1 subject i've done.

Does this make sense since it is more of a historically driven area, or am i way off the mark?

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Obviously it depends on the person, but how is that in any way a bad position to be in? I know people who have sat and passed the 8 exams in one sitting, while working full time. For the last sitting, I was literally writing essays the morning of the exams and passed. You'll be fine!

I know. I just don’t know because some days I can study all day, and others I can’t. Like today! I’m also stuck on a lot of exam questions and just an awful worrier in general. Can’t wait for all this to be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shambles2020

For Equity I'm covering Mareva inj, specific performance, undue influence, estoppel, charitable trusts, cy-pres, trusteeship, three certainties, strong v bird and DMC. Is there anything else I should look at or will I be okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

For Equity I'm covering Mareva inj, specific performance, undue influence, estoppel, charitable trusts, cy-pres, trusteeship, three certainties, strong v bird and DMC. Is there anything else I should look at or will I be okay?

I’m trying to work out the spine or back bone chapters for equity and work from there but I’m not sure what they are tbh.
    I know charitable trusts and PE are asked a lot but finding it hard to set down the key areas and know rest fairly well. I don’t think it’s a paper where corners can be cut but I think it’s better to focus really well on some areas that’s popular.
    I need a coffee...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

Breacnua wrote: »
    I’m trying to work out the spine or back bone chapters for equity and work from there but I’m not sure what they are tbh.
    I know charitable trusts and PE are asked a lot but finding it hard to set down the key areas and know rest fairly well. I don’t think it’s a paper where corners can be cut but I think it’s better to focus really well on some areas that’s popular.
    I need a coffee...

Yeah, doesn't seem like too many corners can be cut.
    Looks like generally:
    1 Q from Resulting trusts,
    1 Q from Injunctions,
    1-2 Qs from remedies
    1-2 Qs from three certainties, Strong v Bird, DMC Secret/purpose trusts
    prob pick up the case note Q within them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lawyersuffolk

Hi, haven't covered examinership or recivership yet in Company - would it be crazy to leave them both out??

Also if anyone has company notes on these would be appreciated and can swap for other notes in every subject!!!

• Advertisement

Hi, haven't covered examinership or recivership yet in Company - would it be crazy to leave them both out??

Also if anyone has company notes on these would be appreciated and can swap for other notes in every subject!!!

I left out examinership because it had come up in the sitting before me. I did receivership, which didn’t come up as a full q for me but came
    Up as part of one. I’d recommend having a look and trying to see if you can find a pattern and then just winging it. You should be covered with your other topics without them.

Can someone please please please email me an up to date Criminal grid? 🀞🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 7 neamhsplach

Also looking for an updated criminal grid ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

tommyq94 wrote: »
    For anyone studying Constitution, I have noticed that my study notes consist mainly of case law notes, and don't contain as many legal principles/tests as my notes did for any other FE1 subject i've done.

Does this make sense since it is more of a historically driven area, or am i way off the mark?

Ya I think so, I suppose it is mainly caselaw cause I think the only way constitutional law can develop is by a case being brought up until that point all legislation is presumed constitutional until proven otherwise. Some of the case law sets out principles that are applied going forward on constitutional challenges. But ya your right it's mainly case heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 9 saphiradragon

Does anyone have a company grid? I can swap for EU, Const, Contract, Property?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

Hi guys,
    I m looking for Constitutional sample answers. I have notes for Contracts, Tort, Constitutional and Company if anyone wants to swap. I also have some other materials.
    Thanks

Does anyone have the company law revision guide from any of any of the revision courses? I can swap for any of the others. Thanks!!

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the company law revision guide from any of any of the revision courses? I can swap for any of the others. Thanks!!

I have the company one from the last sitting I can send you, do you have this round’s tort by any chance?

I have the company one from the last sitting I can send you, do you have this round’s tort by any chance?

I’d love this ones tort too! I have others from last sitting

I'm looking at the case note question for Constitutional and it genuinely doesn't seem nearly as bad as the EU one - is it the same where you're kind of advised not to do it? Like should I have tons of details about it or is it really just a brief summary? Struggling to find many things I can answer in constitutional so this would be a helpful one to have

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CDarrall

Would anyone have a sample essay on the main changes brought about by the 2014 Act for Company? Can swap for grids etc. Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

Is anyone else having a hard time identifying the subject/area the problem questions are addressing?

I think this will be the first FE1 exam that I plan on focusing on essays + note questions, as I honestly can't tell what a lot of the problem questions are asking...

tommyq94 wrote: »
    Is anyone else having a hard time identifying the subject/area the problem questions are addressing?

I think this will be the first FE1 exam that I plan on focusing on essays + note questions, as I honestly can't tell what a lot of the problem questions are asking...

Same here! I haven't found anyone who isn't struggling with that though so at least we're not alone haha

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

I'm looking at the case note question for Constitutional and it genuinely doesn't seem nearly as bad as the EU one - is it the same where you're kind of advised not to do it? Like should I have tons of details about it or is it really just a brief summary? Struggling to find many things I can answer in constitutional so this would be a helpful one to have

I think a summary of the facts, the majority’s opinion, the dissenting opinions, and principle finding would suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Anyone who has passed tort have any advice on how to approach it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

I’m going with

Negligence (all of it basically)
    Trespass to Person
    Trespass to Land/Nuisance/Rylands
    Vicarious Liability
    Defective Products
    Damages
    Occupiers Liability
    Professional Negligence
    Passing Off
    Limitation of Actions
    Liability for Animals/Fire

Basically the same minus Limitation of Actions & Damages.

Am doing Employer Liability & Nervous Shock though.

Re. the Defamation query in your other post - According to my grid Defamation has come up the last four sittings.

I was originally doing it myself but now quite unsure if it's a waste of time at this stage because of the above. Besides, I imagine if it did come up, it would come up essay style

Is there a list of cases that could up in the case note question or anything like that?

Or do you need to look through all past papers to get an idea?

Is there a list of cases that could up in the case note question or anything like that?

Or do you need to look through all past papers to get an idea?

I don't know if there's a list but from what I can tell it seems to be a mixture of old and new cases - for instance in Q4 Oct 2019 the cases were McCrystal (2012), C v Min for Social Protection (2018), Campaign to Separate Church and State v Min for Education (1998) and Meskell v CIE (1973). He doesn't seem to put up cases that are insignificant but it is by no means confined to just old cases or just recent ones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 coalition

Company

Is it safe to leave out Disqualification orders for directors? I’ve covered restriction orders

Id learn a few cases on it - can be handy to throw in at the end of a restriction q

• Registered Users Posts: 36 luimneachabu73

Any changes to Criminal Acts in the last few years to be aware of?

JCormac wrote: »
    Basically the same minus Limitation of Actions & Damages.

Am doing Employer Liability & Nervous Shock though.

Re. the Defamation query in your other post - According to my grid Defamation has come up the last four sittings.

I was originally doing it myself but now quite unsure if it's a waste of time at this stage because of the above. Besides, I imagine if it did come up, it would come up essay style

Yeah I just hope they’re not making it a recurring question now haha, but I’m set on not doing it and my mind is made up so 🀷ðŸ»*♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 26 EAL2019

Would anyone have an up to date Contract Grid? Can swap for sample answers

Thanks!

Is it fair to say that the Case Note answer will generally be much short than an essay or problem Q answer?

• Advertisement

In relation to Contract Terms. Are you guys covering the whole topic or sections of it e.g. express/implied/Parol Evidence Rule?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement