Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

In relation to Contract Terms. Are you guys covering the whole topic or sections of it e.g. express/implied/Parol Evidence Rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Equity

Do you think this would be enough to be covered for equity:
    - all injunctions
    - rescission and UI
    - Trusteeship
    - Charitable and Cypre trusts
    - Secret and half secret trusts
    - Prop estoppel
    - SP
    - DMC
    - Tracing
    - Rectification

Possibly resulting and constructive if there is time

Constitutional

What do people think are the main topics to cover for Constitutional? It's so big hard to know a bit about all, the manual is huge. From what I heard before pass rates are meant to be good but find that hard to reconcile with fact the course is so broad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shambles2020

Does anyone have any contract sample answers? I have sample answers and grids for equity, property and criminal to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

Looking for Tort sample answers. I have grids, papers, etc, for all 8 subjects.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 eLawGirl

Is anyone still waiting to hear from the law society re exam passes carrying forward now that the magic 3 rule is scrapped? or has anyone who applied been denied this?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Does anyone have any contract sample answers? I have sample answers and grids for equity, property and criminal to swap.

Could I possibly ask you for the criminal grid please?

I have contract sample answers to March 18 only but I'll email them to you asap if you want.

I have notes to sell on 2019 Constitutional cases, pm me if you are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Looking for EU sample answers, can trade company, tort, criminal

eLawGirl wrote: »
    Is anyone still waiting to hear from the law society re exam passes carrying forward now that the magic 3 rule is scrapped? or has anyone who applied been denied this?

Check your spam folder, mine was in there a week before I found it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

user115 wrote: »
    Constitutional

What do people think are the main topics to cover for Constitutional? It's so big hard to know a bit about all, the manual is huge. From what I heard before pass rates are meant to be good but find that hard to reconcile with fact the course is so broad.

It is difficult to figure out the main topics for constitutional. The topics I chose to cover are:

separation of powers
    Oireachtas privilege and cabinet confidentiality
    Findings of unconstitutionality
    Principles of judicial review
    Trial in due course of law
    Fair procedures
    President and AG
    Referendum
    Property rights
    Freedoms of expression
    Religious freedom
    Equality
    Personal rights
    Right to privacy and bodily integrity

No covering family and education, constitutional interpretation, the courts, proportionality, personal liberty abortion, right to jury trial, international law, nation people and the state.

I really hope I have enough :(

jewels652 wrote: »
    It is difficult to figure out the main topics for constitutional. The topics I chose to cover are:

separation of powers
    Fair procedures
    President and AG
    Referendum
    Property rights
    Freedoms of expression
    Religious freedom
    Equality
    Personal rights

No covering family and education, constitutional interpretation, the courts, proportionality, personal liberty abortion, right to jury trial, international law, nation people and the state.

I'm covering similar but I have only a week to go back and do
    - FOE, privacy
    - Referenda (pringle and crotty)
    - Judicial review
    - Trial in due course

I have already done:
    - Constit interpretation
    - SOP
    - Property, right earn liveihood
    - Locus Standi
    - Fair procedures
    - President and AG

Might also do cabinet confidentiality as it might come up with fair procedures. So stressed now only really a good 2 weeks of note making left and have to be ready to learn all off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

I'm covering similar but I have only a week to go back and do
    - FOE, privacy
    - Referenda (pringle and crotty)
    - Judicial review
    - Trial in due course

I have already done:
    - Constit interpretation
    - SOP
    - Property, right earn liveihood
    - Locus Standi
    - Fair procedures
    - President and AG

Might also do cabinet confidentiality as it might come up with fair procedures. So stressed now only really a good 2 weeks of note making left and have to be ready to learn all off :(

I know what you mean still lots of learning to left and have nothing done for Eu :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eLawGirl

Check your spam folder, mine was in there a week before I found it

No not in my spam folder, I've emailed them again and resubmitted the form today, just wanted to see if it was a case that only some people were allowed carry forward for whatever reason or was it just my application was lost 😫 already paid for March sitting too, they make it so hard

• Registered Users Posts: 4 marylavelle

Hi there,

Would anyone have a grid for Constitutional including October 2019? I have grids/notes for Equity, Contract, Company and EU so I can swap

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Reya10

jewels652 wrote: »

separation of powers
    Fair procedures
    President and AG
    Referendum
    Property rights
    Freedoms of expression
    Religious freedom
    Equality
    Personal rights

Just a heads up you should cover proportionality as it can be really important for problem questions on any of the constitutional rights

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭niamh1612

Anyone who has done or is doing criminal and EU, I am about to attempt to begin either subject only now, I've left it too late to do both, can someone advise which one would be more doable between now and the exam and which one would be better to drop ? Any advice hugely appreciated

niamh1612 wrote: »
    Anyone who has done or is doing criminal and EU, I am about to attempt to begin either subject only now, I've left it too late to do both, can someone advise which one would be more doable between now and the exam and which one would be better to drop ? Any advice hugely appreciated

Definitely criminal, I have my notes made but only starting to learn them this week, very short course so I’ve focused elsewhere upto now

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Definitely criminal, I have my notes made but only starting to learn them this week, very short course so I’ve focused elsewhere upto now

Have to agree. I covered criminal in a very, very short time frame. Eu is vast. Straight forward if you are up on it though. Play to your strengths, if knowledge of both is the same I would opt for Criminal every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 QueenBeeLC

I have notes to sell on 2019 Constitutional cases, pm me if you are interested

Hi how much for the notes on constitutional cases?

• Advertisement

QueenBeeLC wrote: »
    Hi how much for the notes on constitutional cases?

It's 15, it's for presentation listing major cases of 2019, cases on fair procedures and a paper on locus standi detailing 4 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

It's 15, it's for presentation listing major cases of 2019, cases on fair procedures and a paper on locus standi detailing 4 cases

Any chance you'd name drop the 2019 cases

Recent cases are usually highlighted on the City Colleges night before notes. They usually come out in enough time for you to quickly brush up on them and slot them into the relevant topics before the exam. I wouldn’t be forking out 15 quid for them

Night before notes are fairly good but they don't always have the most up to date cases in their notes. I'm sure it's not the difference between a pass and a fail but examiner in constitutional is well known for having the most recent developments reflected in the paper. There are a lot worse things you could spend 15euro on.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Themes from 2019 as per UCD Lecture

Standing

Fair procedures and the limits of judicial scrutiny.

The right not to be deprived of liberty save in accordance with law.

CASES

Mohan v Ireland
    Zalewski v Minister for Justice & Equality
    P v Judges of the Circuit Court
    A.C. v Cork University Hospital
    People (DPP) v CC
    Sweeney v Ireland
    Simpson v Governor of Mountjoy Prison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

niamh1612 wrote: »

Agree with others that Criminal is the better option under the time constraints — just make sure to have a good look at past papers and familiarize yourself with the mixing of topics. A lot of people underestimate the Criminal paper because the topics are generally pretty straightforward and understandable. Come the rush of the exam though and your paper can very quickly end up a dog’s dinner.

It’s one of those exams where it’s really important to make a plan for your answer before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

Any kind soul willing to send me equity grid and/or notes? Just started to do notes and feeling very overwhelmed!!

Or even which topics I should tackle?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Would any lovely person have sample answers for tort and equity they’d be willing to send on to me?

I have up to date grids I can swap for!

Would really appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

Could anyone explain Crotty and Pringle? I’m pretty sure I understand Crotty but I’m really confused by Pringle and how they relate to eachother :(

• Advertisement

Breacnua wrote: »
    Themes from 2019 as per UCD Lecture

Standing

Fair procedures and the limits of judicial scrutiny.

The right not to be deprived of liberty save in accordance with law.

CASES

Mohan v Ireland
    Zalewski v Minister for Justice & Equality
    P v Judges of the Circuit Court
    A.C. v Cork University Hospital
    People (DPP) v CC
    Sweeney v Ireland
    Simpson v Governor of Mountjoy Prison

Is this lecture often an indication of what might come up? A Q on Fair Procedure or Locus Standi would be loooovely

Also thank you for posting

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

In constitution, what areas of SOP should I focus on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Is this lecture often an indication of what might come up? A Q on Fair Procedure or Locus Standi would be loooovely

Also thank you for posting

Im not sure tbh as I’m not doing it till October but many say he likes recent caselaw so maybe it’s worth looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stressssedout

Hey, sorry if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer searching the thread.

I was wondering if for constitutional what is the relevance of the right to life of the unborn and the 8th amendment following our referendum?

Sorry, I'm using an old manual and I was just wondering if this is still gonna come up seeing as the law has changed significantly?

Also, if it is relevant if anyone has any notes on how it should be tackled now, would be v appreciative.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

eLawGirl wrote: »
    No not in my spam folder, I've emailed them again and resubmitted the form today, just wanted to see if it was a case that only some people were allowed carry forward for whatever reason or was it just my application was lost �� already paid for March sitting too, they make it so hard

I feel your stress! I got mine carried forward from October 2018 and haven't heard of anyone being denied for any reason. They also told me I would be getting a refund of the pass I had paid to sit in March.

Try not to worry. Fingers crossed they will get back to you in the coming days with good news.

Does anyone know why there was a sitting in March 2014 and again in April 2014?

Edit - Nvm I googled it lol

• Advertisement

Does anyone know why there was a sitting in March 2014 and again in April 2014?

Wondered this before too, found this below

https://www.lawsociety.ie/News/News/Stories/Additional-FE-1-Exam-Dates/#.XkwGQSXp2Ec

I would have a heart attack if exams were brought forward by two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

There was a problem with venue availability in spring 2014 resulting in the exams being brought forward. Because of this, there were a lot of complaints, even some students organised a petition. In the end, the Law Society decided to compromise and arranged a special extra sitting for April 2014.
    If you look on the previous FE 1 thread, you can read all about it, but it is probably not the best use of your time.

vid36 wrote: »
    There was a problem with venue availability in spring 2014 resulting in the exams being brought forward. Because of this, there were a lot of complaints, even some students organised a petition. In the end, the Law Society decided to compromise and arranged a special extra sitting for April 2014.
    If you look on the previous FE 1 thread, you can read all about it, but it is probably not the best use of your time.

You overestimate the importance of things I find the time for at my desk haha - I know panic mode is mere days away though..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 smiley1989

Hi everyone,

Would anyone have sample answers for contract? I can swap for EU or constitutional sample answers.

Any tips on passing the contract exam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭law_struggles

How would you rank the 8 subjects in terms of difficulty from 1 to 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Tort 8 Constutional 7 EU 6 Criminal 3 Contract 3 Equity 5 Company 5 Property
    I considered Tort and Constitutional the most difficult given the size of the courses and the huge range of topics that are examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

vid36 wrote: »
    Tort 8 Constutional 7 EU 6 Criminal 3 Contract 3 Equity 5 Company 5 Property
    I considered Tort and Constitutional the most difficult given the size of the courses and the huge range of topics that are examined.

Constitutional 8
    Tort 7
    Company 6
    Criminal 5
    Contract 4
    EU 3
    Equity 2
    Property 1

In thar order. Constitutional and Tort are by and large the two worst exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sm333

How would you rank the 8 subjects in terms of difficulty from 1 to 8?

Struggled massively with company and sailed through tort first time - everyone will be different so try not to stress yourself out about particular exams!

Would appreciate any ones thoughts on what I'm covering for EU...anything I should add? Is it enough to be safe?

Institutions
    Sources
    General Principles
    Direct Effect
    MS Liability
    Judicial Review
    FMOG
    FMOW
    Citizenship
    Equality

The obvious one left out is Competition law, but people have said it's a massive topic so not sure if I should cover it.

Not sure how best to prepare for the Case Note Q either

Would appreciate any ones thoughts on what I'm covering for EU...anything I should add? Is it enough to be safe?

Institutions
    Sources
    General Principles
    Direct Effect
    MS Liability
    Judicial Review
    FMOG
    FMOW
    Citizenship
    Equality

The obvious one left out is Competition law, but people have said it's a massive topic so not sure if I should cover it.

Not sure how best to prepare for the Case Note Q either

I’m doing the same as you pretty much. Covering FMServices/ Establishment instead of Sources of Law.

I’m also pretty much treating it as a 6Q exam for me seeing as 1 Q is always on the competition stuff and another is the case note.

Hopefully it pays off but competition is just too large.

I’m doing the same as you pretty much. Covering FMServices/ Establishment instead of Sources of Law.

I’m also pretty much treating it as a 6Q exam for me seeing as 1 Q is always on the competition stuff and another is the case note.

Hopefully it pays off but competition is just too large.

If the examiner sticks to the fairly predictable trend of the grid I think we will be safe.

Any deviation however...

If the examiner sticks to the fairly predictable trend of the grid I think we will be safe.

Any deviation however...

Any!

Exam numbers etc should be soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Eu
    I am pretty much the exact same, for sources of law are people just covering the question on Regulation, Directive and decision, kinda confused on this part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 QueenBeeLC

Any help for equity? I can’t seem to pass the exam. No trouble with the rest

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement