Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

Just wondering was there a word count today?

No there wasn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

No there wasn't!

Thanks! Was kind of hoping for one to gauge my answers but I suppose it is what it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LeGal97

Is anyone else's exam now showing up as not taken? I also got a link for more time as I emailed and said my timer was short a few minutes and I got an email and a link to finish it which I did not want to do, I just wanted it to be logged. Now no one is answering the phone. It used to say awaiting feedback and now I am terrified its all gone, but if I click the link and use the time I will be flagged. Help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Costello95

Does anyone have anything concise on winding up? Cramming to the max now and getting stressed out! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

LeGal97 wrote: »
    Is anyone else's exam now showing up as not taken? I also got a link for more time as I emailed and said my timer was short a few minutes and I got an email and a link to finish it which I did not want to do, I just wanted it to be logged. Now no one is answering the phone. It used to say awaiting feedback and now I am terrified its all gone, but if I click the link and use the time I will be flagged. Help!!

What do you mean you will be flagged? I could not get logged for the first 20 minutes today either so didn't get my last question finished. I raised this with the law society and also got sent a link to finish it I which I now have.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Hi, anybody sitting Company tomorrow see Betterexaminations page says our exam will be open for 1 hour...

Not trying to scare anyone but I'm sure there's nothing wrong and it will probably be fine but want to make sure I'm not the only one.

Costello95 wrote: »
    Does anyone have anything concise on winding up? Cramming to the max now and getting stressed out! Thanks

I was just about to post looking for the same thing?? Would really appreciate it and can send on stuff if I have them in return!

rickmatt wrote: »
    Hi, anybody sitting Company tomorrow see Betterexaminations page says our exam will be open for 1 hour...

Not trying to scare anyone but I'm sure there's nothing wrong and it will probably be fine but want to make sure I'm not the only one.

Mine says the same! From 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Mine says the same. But then there is "Exam Lenght is 4 hours" at the bottom.
    I think it means that the link would be open for 1 hour, in case somebody is late

• Advertisement

HU123 wrote: »
    What do you mean you will be flagged? I could not get logged for the first 20 minutes today either so didn't get my last question finished. I raised this with the law society and also got sent a link to finish it I which I now have.

Have you clicked the link? I just did there for the craic to see and it said I had an exam to be taken, and then when I clicked that it said I have no exam to take. So I'm guessing the link expired?

This is a shambles!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Red.95

Hi guys.. Is this happening for a lot of people? Will your questions change now or be the same as the ones you saw then the exam was open. I understand the timing is so unfair being cut short but it's also quite unfair if people are being given 20 mins to finish a question this evening having read it today..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭shaunadennyham

Red.95 wrote: »
    Hi guys.. Is this happening for a lot of people? Will your questions change now or be the same as the ones you saw then the exam was open. I understand the timing is so unfair being cut short but it's also quite unfair if people are being given 20 mins to finish a question this evening having read it today..

Surely they won’t change the questions you couldn’t expect someone to finish a q in 20 minutes. Arguably unfair that people had technical issues which would have thrown them for their other answers. We’re not competing against each other as I don’t think they use a bell curve so it should be fine

Have you clicked the link? I just did there for the craic to see and it said I had an exam to be taken, and then when I clicked that it said I have no exam to take. So I'm guessing the link expired?

This is a shambles!

Yes I clicked it when I did it said it was only available to 6pm, so maybe that's why it's not appearing anymore.

I know it really is and has really added to the stress, now im worried I shouldn't have clicked it if you are saying it gets flagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Red.95

Surely they won’t change the questions you couldn’t expect someone to finish a q in 20 minutes. Arguably unfair that people had technical issues which would have thrown them for their other answers. We’re not competing against each other as I don’t think they use a bell curve so it should be fine
    Agreed its a shambles and not fair on anyone. As far as I'm aware it is bell curved though

No it was just the same question, I just got the email saying as your time expired before it was supposed to you have been given the opportunity to finish the exam if you wish.

I think it happened to alot of people as when I rang today I was told I would be added to a list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

It would be hard to see how they could fail anyone after the shambles today, I missed out on 10 minutes if I fail I can argue that and so many other people can too!!

People asking about winding up i have some condensed notes done up if you pm me. I'm looking for stuff on the changes in 2014 act if someone can help me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

awsah wrote: »
    It would be hard to see how they could fail anyone after the shambles today, I missed out on 10 minutes if I fail I can argue that and so many other people can too!!

People asking about winding up i have some condensed notes done up if you pm me. I'm looking for stuff on the changes in 2014 act if someone can help me out!
    Send me your email and I can give you some info on Changes to the Act!

I've got Winding Up also if anyone needs it but they're not exactly concise...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Fe1new4

https://www.independent.ie/news/garda-pleads-guilty-to-assaulting-woman-and-using-excessive-force-during-her-arrest-39699951.html

I know there’s a lot going on here but this would be a great very recent case to throw into criminal on Thursday for assault and potentially use of excessive force :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maewest19

Hey guys, does anyone know if the examiner report for the Company March 2020 exam is available yet?

Yes I clicked it when I did it said it was only available to 6pm, so maybe that's why it's not appearing anymore.

I know it really is and has really added to the stress, now im worried I shouldn't have clicked it if you are saying it gets flagged.

That was only me being precautious anyway, they sent it for a reason but its very strange like everyone had different experiences?

I didn't realize it expired at 6pm... I wasn't stuck for it anyway but I would have liked to finish a question, but as long as it is taken into account I would feel a bit easier.

I am shook at the whole thing if I am honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Hi guys just on word count, I've noticed when I type up my answers I am only roughly getting a page in, roughly 400-450 words per answer.

I know that when I would be actual writing an answer in the answer booklets I'd easily clear 3-5 pages. Not sure if this is something that is taken into account but it just looks like I'm writing so little, anyone else notice or is it a cause for concern???

Quality over Quantity and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lozg

It’s coming up as not taken for me not too, seriously hope it hasn’t been lost

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fe.nofun

This might be a silly question. Anyone know the procedure for taking bathroom breaks? Do you just get up and go?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

Hey wondering if anyone covered the circumstances where a floating charge crystallizes for tomorrow? I know it came up in march so I was gona leave it out but getting stressed now because I can only answer 4 questions on some papers with my topics including last march paper but with that added it would be 5.. any suggestions on last min topics to throw in?

PM’d you, thanks

Iso_123 wrote: »
    Hey wondering if anyone covered the circumstances where a floating charge crystallizes for tomorrow? I know it came up in march so I was gona leave it out but getting stressed now because I can only answer 4 questions on some papers with my topics including last march paper but with that added it would be 5.. any suggestions on last min topics to throw in?

what topics are you doing?

StabiloLaw wrote: »
    Send me your email and I can give you some info on Changes to the Act!

I've got Winding Up also if anyone needs it but they're not exactly concise...

I got sorted thank you though!

what topics are you doing?

I have:

Directors including duties, sec 238/239
    fraudulent and reckless trading
    restriction
    share/share transfer
    212/foss v harbottle
    winding up
    realisation of assets (602/604/608)
    slp and incorporation/sec 31 contracts
    corporate borrowing (except where floating charge crystallizes essay)
    authority

PM’d you, thanks

Iso_123 wrote: »
    I have:

Directors including duties, sec 238/239
    fraudulent and reckless trading
    restriction
    share/share transfer
    212/foss v harbottle
    winding up
    realisation of assets (602/604/608)
    slp and incorporation/sec 31 contracts
    corporate borrowing (except where floating charge crystallizes essay)
    authority

I am not doing anything extra and I am not doing the crystallization essay as it came up so recent, sorry I am of no help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

I just started worrying about directors duties and s. 238 and 239. Does anybody want to share notes or sample answer. I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

Hi guys just on word count, I've noticed when I type up my answers I am only roughly getting a page in, roughly 400-450 words per answer.

I know that when I would be actual writing an answer in the answer booklets I'd easily clear 3-5 pages. Not sure if this is something that is taken into account but it just looks like I'm writing so little, anyone else notice or is it a cause for concern???

Quality over Quantity and all that

Typing usually tends to result in less pages in comparison to hand writing.

Not sure where this whole thing about pages/word count comes from. I've seen it a lot on this forum but can't understand where it comes from. Let's face it, if you're an examiner, would you rather one or two pages that are on point and relevant or 5 plus pages of rambling nonsense!

Like you said, it's about quality over quantity. You don't need x amount of pages. Just a clear, concise, on point answer with relevant case law and legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

Just wondering if anyone used a monitor for today’s exam? Or is there rules against this ? My laptop is tiny just wondering if the option to use a monitor connected to a laptop is there

Healyjhow wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone used a monitor for today’s exam? Or is there rules against this ? My laptop is tiny just wondering if the option to use a monitor connected to a laptop is there

I think they had said in their answers that two screens weren't allowed.

Healyjhow wrote: »

The rules say you cannot have two screens so I am sure this would fall under that?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

The rules say you cannot have two screens so I am sure this would fall under that?
    thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

What difference has the criminal justice (sexual offences) act 2017 had on sexual offences? My notes all reference the 2006 act, 1990 and the 1981?

I have the 2017 reform aimed at protecting children but not for other sexual offences: sexual assaults, vulnerable people etc.

I'd greatly appreciate any direction:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fe12020oct

anyone know what aspect of corp borrowing is most/least likely to appear tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Buttonbean123

Did anyone that did the exam today use a hotspot from their phone? I know you’re not meant to have your phone on but I just moved into a new place and and the broadband was meant to be installed on Friday but they company have messed me about. Does anyone else intend on using their hotspot? I don’t think I have any other options with the exam being tomorrow!

• Advertisement

fe12020oct wrote: »
    anyone know what aspect of corp borrowing is most/least likely to appear tomorrow?
    Perhaps Crystallisation

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

Perhaps Crystallisation
    Really hoping you mean Crystallisation is least likely to appear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Can someone who sat an exam today please confirm that you can navigate from one question to another without any bother? Like there is no need to save the answer before you move onto another q. Or can only come back to a question at the end of the exam. Like can you can come back to a question with no problem at any time of the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Lealaw wrote: »
    What difference has the criminal justice (sexual offences) act 2017 had on sexual offences? My notes all reference the 2006 act, 1990 and the 1981?

I have the 2017 reform aimed at protecting children but not for other sexual offences: sexual assaults, vulnerable people etc.

I'd greatly appreciate any direction:)

There were quite a few changes - here's something I read which explains it well

https://www.rapecrisis.ie/news/News/guide-to-the-legal-process-for-survivors.html

StabiloLaw wrote: »
    Really hoping you mean Crystallisation is least likely to appear!!
    Yes, sorry least likely. I learnt the rest
    I'm just revising and reading boards

illy.m wrote: »
    Can someone who sat an exam today please confirm that you can navigate from one question to another without any bother? Like there is no need to save the answer before you move onto another q. Or can only come back to a question at the end of the exam. Like can you can come back to a question with no problem at any time of the exam?

Yes, its a very easy process u just click on each question and the work is saved automatically. I really like the set up, I was keeping my Essay until last and it was on product liability and anytime something came into my head I would just click on the question and type it. I did miss the ability to scribble but I think that is just habit, I also found the notes and sticky pad quite useful.

You have the option to highlight underline italic bold and do numbers and bullet points, you can highlight the question but not your answer and you can't change the text colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

There were quite a few changes - here's something I read which explains it well

https://www.rapecrisis.ie/news/News/guide-to-the-legal-process-for-survivors.html

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

I just started worrying about directors duties and s. 238 and 239. Does anybody want to share notes or sample answer. I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

BIG second on this!

I have 'to whom Director's Duties are owed' & 's 228 - Fiduciary Duties', done.
    But have absolutely nothing on s 238 & 239, embarrassingly enough barely even know about them.

Has their ever been a Q on s 238/239 & why do people think it will come up?
    I would absolutely cry if everything I learnt off for Directors was for nothing because this came up without me covering it.

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    BIG second on this!

I have 'to whom Director's Duties are owed' & 's 228 - Fiduciary Duties', done.
    But have absolutely nothing on s 238 & 239, embarrassingly enough barely even know about them.

Has their ever been a Q on s 238/239 & why do people think it will come up?
    I would absolutely cry if everything I learnt off for Directors was for nothing because this came up without me covering it.

Do you have the march 2019 paper? it came up here as question 2. you could defo throw a few notes together now on it because a lot of it is in the act and theres not too many cases to learn I think I only have 4 cases or so for it

Thanks

Ok I really need to get off boards now and concentrate 🀣 pm me your email I have some condensed notes on them that may be helpful. If you tell me what year it cane up I can see if I have a sample answer for you.

I would be hoping if they come up it would be part of a problem question where you could say that the transaction was voidable at the instance of the company

• Registered Users Posts: 22 maewest19

Hey Guys,

In regards Company, would people imagine that I would be okay with these topics?

SLP
    Authority and Capacity
    Share and Share Transfer
    Protection of Minorities
    Directors- Types, Duties and Conflict of Interest
    Corporate Borrowing
    Winding Up
    Realisation of Corporate Assets

and a passable knowledge of the benefits of incorporation and capital maintenance.

Sorry, I know that nobody obviously knows anything about whats going to be on the paper, but I'm trying to decide if I should power through an extra topic, to be safe?

Thank you!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement