Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

123456789j wrote: »
    Hi guys, anyone who has sat company or property able to tell me how does it work with legislation? Don’t want to be thrown off in morning. Do you have to show the book every time you use it?

i sat company and you do not have to show the legislation,I know there are people that are but I am not bothering with it, it takes time and it wasn't asked for

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

No, don't have to show it at all! I just held it up at the very start but nothing other than that just work away as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭123456789j

law987 wrote: »
    No, don't have to show it at all! I just held it up at the very start but nothing other than that just work away as normal

Cheers. Such an advantage with the legislation. Not sure how it will affect the proctoring score all the same! Hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

Hi, does anybody have any cases in FMOG for purely internal situations? I see the examiner reference Smanor case by I looked it up and it doesnt seem to reference the internal situation? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭phildub

Hi, does anybody have any cases in FMOG for purely internal situations? I see the examiner reference Smanor case by I looked it up and it doesnt seem to reference the internal situation? Thanks!

This is part of a sample answer from q4 March 2019, hope it helps.

I actually went looking for the post from yesterday that references this because i came across this sample ans for q4 march 2019.

Applicability to internal situations
    Chapter 3 of the TFEU is entitled “Prohibition of Quantitative Restrictions between Member States”. Articles 34 and 35 state as follows:-
    “Quantitative restrictions on imports and all measures having equivalent effect shall be prohibited between Member States.
    Quantitative restrictions on exports, and all measures having equivalent effect, shall be prohibited between Member States.”
    On their face, the Treaty provisions require a cross-border element, therefore, which would preclude application to a situation wholly internal to a single Member State.
    In Smanor, the Court considered a French measure which restricted the use of the term “yoghurt” which was challenged by a company which manufactured and sold its products within France. The Court found that, while the facts giving rise to the challenge were wholly internal in nature, it could not be precluded that products would be produced under the term “yoghurt” in other Member States and imported into France.
    By corrollary, Bob the Baker will be in a position to challenge the validity of the Irish Regulations, by reference to the terms it uses to describe all of its products, on the basis of the Dassonville formula.

phildub wrote: »
    This is part of a sample answer from q4 March 2019, hope it helps.

I tried to attach a picture here but it didn't work obviously! I see your question was answered tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Feeling very burned out so really don’t feel I have enough knowledge to pass this EU exam. I’ve heard the pass rate is usually quite high but does anyone have any experience of how nice the marker is?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Feeling very burned out so really don’t feel I have enough knowledge to pass this EU exam. I’ve heard the pass rate is usually quite high but does anyone have any experience of how nice the marker is?

Same here, trying to work through citizenship atm and I rlly do think my head is about to fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

ruby1998 wrote: »
    Same here, trying to work through citizenship atm and I rlly do think my head is about to fall off.

Really nervous about it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 LeGal97

to be honest - if I don't get a summer internship or Matheson when they open in November, I'm considering getting some experience in some other 'corporate' related sector. Even some crappy entry level role (though with current circumstances I hear its just as competitive atm)

My leaving cert points were close to 500 and I graduated in the top 15 of my year and its just PFO after PFO. Not exactly motivating for another set of fe1's in a few months time.

I am in a similar position... and since I couldn't get more legal experience this summer I held back on applying everywhere again because I knew it would be the exact same.

Does anyone have any advice? Thinking about heading into some small firms in my county and offering to work for free at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

I think stress levels are very high among the FE1 class of 2020 if Boards is anything to go by.

I am an imposter on here as an ageing mature student doing the FE1s with a view to a career change but without the high stakes that many of you have in play.

Having said that, I would like to offer some perspective. We will all finish these exams, some of us might take an extra attempt to do so. Its a rotten time to be looking for work at the moment but the same number of lawyers will be required over the medium / long term so this short term lack of demand will disappear once covid is gone.

The stuff you worry about rarely ever happens and if it does its never as bad as you imagine.

The FE1s are not the leaving cert, there's another train coming along next Spring if any of us misses this one.

Its been a hell of a couple of weeks and the chat on here has been useful and entertaining, so thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Wonder is it worth notifying law society about my documents folder coming up twice during exam whatever I clicked? Also went to the bathroom twice so bricking I'll be flagged

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

We were allowed to go bathroom and in certain exams use legislation without showing the camera each time, I started yelling at my postman mid one of my exams because he was looking for a signature! I wouldn’t worry about it or draw any attention to yourself! If you get flagged it’s just a simple explanation!
    Wonder is it worth notifying law society about my documents folder coming up twice during exam whatever I clicked? Also went to the bathroom twice so bricking I'll be flagged

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

If this is a small comfort, I think the EU marker is actually pretty sound - I passed in August with 4 alright/good answers but the fifth was like 90% lifted from the legislation with like 2 random case names sprinkled in. So my advice would be if you're struggling for a 5th answer and there's a q on citizenship or human rights, definitely lean on Blackstones and that should get you over the line. Just my two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irishmisile

I want to just say a word of congratulations for everyone currently doing, have done and are contemplating doing these exams! You're all thinking with your head in the right place and are a credit to yourselves and your family for braving this possible career path. You all are a sound bunch and I wish you all the best of luck in your future careers!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

LeGal97 wrote: »
    I am in a similar position... and since I couldn't get more legal experience this summer I held back on applying everywhere again because I knew it would be the exact same.

Does anyone have any advice? Thinking about heading into some small firms in my county and offering to work for free at this rate!
    I worked for free for four months and after that they offered me payment. I've been working there for 6 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dancing Obsession

Spreece wrote: »
    I think stress levels are very high among the FE1 class of 2020 if Boards is anything to go by.

I am an imposter on here as an ageing mature student doing the FE1s with a view to a career change but without the high stakes that many of you have in play.

Having said that, I would like to offer some perspective. We will all finish these exams, some of us might take an extra attempt to do so. Its a rotten time to be looking for work at the moment but the same number of lawyers will be required over the medium / long term so this short term lack of demand will disappear once covid is gone.

The stuff you worry about rarely ever happens and if it does its never as bad as you imagine.

The FE1s are not the leaving cert, there's another train coming along next Spring if any of us misses this one.

Its been a hell of a couple of weeks and the chat on here has been useful and entertaining, so thanks for that.

Very nice and comforting what you said. Why did you call yourself ageing mature student :) I felt like that at the beginning myself but it's never too late to study.
    Heads up guys, we are getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

I worked for free for four months and after that they offered me payment. I've been working there for 6 years now.

I worked for free a few days a week in a small firm when I was in 3rd year university - great for some experience but I have to say it was not the nicest experience especially working another part-time job to have some sort of income

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Dropin

If its any comfort I went to the bathroom 3 times during equity (bladder capacity of a small child) and I got up twice to open/close the curtains as the sun passes that window and I was blinded. Probably naivety on my behalf but i'v said to myself that theres just no way I am having them tell me my test is void because I looked around too much..

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Hybrid 2020

Hi All, anyone now awaiting a result from this sitting , hoping to start the Hybrid in a few weeks?

Has anyone been in touch with LS in relation to whether results will be made available to those people in time for mid dec? I have sent an email this morning but just wondering does anyone know?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Hybrid 2020

Hi All, anyone now awaiting a result from this sitting , hoping to start the Hybrid in a few weeks?

Has anyone been in touch with LS in relation to whether results will be made available to those people in time for mid dec? I have sent an email this morning but just wondering does anyone know?

Thanks!

Sorry for being clueless on the matter but what's this hybrid? Is there another sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

DUMSURFER wrote: »
    Sorry for being clueless on the matter but what's this hybrid? Is there another sitting?

No its basically PPC1 done remotely so you don't to have to physically attend Blackhall.

The start date is mid December.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irishmisile

Finished EU law with over half an hour to go! Most questions were very repetitive which was a god send. Very fair paper in my opinion. Especially the first question on human rights. Delighted! Hopefully others feel good about EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bluerthanu

Finished EU law with over half an hour to go! Most questions were very repetitive which was a god send. Very fair paper in my opinion. Especially the first question on human rights. Delighted! Hopefully others feel good about EU.

Pretty sound paper in fairness (I thought). Hope everyone got on okay on this paper and overall over the two weeks, it's been a pleasure receiving more updates on here than the Law Society, but I hope everyone gets a well deserved break from the desire to check Boards and the guilt of not studying--and well done for making it through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spreece

EU was grand, so predictable. Same question on 263(4) again, the obsession with that one narrow topic is amazing. Direct effect, A34/36, Institutions and some familiar case notes. Couldn’t ask for better.

I really wish the pubs were open now !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭niamh1612

I am really struggling with the timing! The paper was lovely didn’t even see what always after question 5! I ran out of time though and I’m a bit worried, I have 3 v good questions, one decent questiona and my last one was a mess because I had 10minutes! Hope I did enough to pass as it was such a nice paper I’m kicking myself :(

niamh1612 wrote: »
    I am really struggling with the timing! The paper was lovely didn’t even see what always after question 5! I ran out of time though and I’m a bit worried, I have 3 v good questions, one decent questiona and my last one was a mess because I had 10minutes! Hope I did enough to pass as it was such a nice paper I’m kicking myself :(

That sounds good to me! EU is very fairly marked - my paper in March went worse than yours by the sounds of things and I passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

Hybrid 2020

Thanks!

I would not worry about having the results before the induction day for the Hybrid. Some students joined the course in January this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lightup1

Any idea what the consumer protection legislation they were looking for on the contract paper?

• Advertisement

Well done all! V fair paper.

EU was very far, my brain was just fried as I have been working full time these two weeks and that was my fourth, think I did 1 excellent question 2 good/ok 1 ok/bad and 1 whyingodsnamedidyouattemptthisquesion

dont care at this point...free for a few weeks at least!

Lightup1 wrote: »
    Any idea what the consumer protection legislation they were looking for on the contract paper?

I said EC Unfair Terms

*not confident this is correct

Hybrid 2020

Thanks!

can I ask when this is due to finish, like does it run the same length of time as regular PPC or longer/shorter? trying to decide which one I would like to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Lightup1 wrote: »
    ruby1998 wrote: »
    I said EC Unfair Terms

*not confident this is correct

That’s also what I wrote down. Hoping that’s correct too

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

awsah wrote: »
    can I ask when this is due to finish, like does it run the same length of time as regular PPC or longer/shorter? trying to decide which one I would like to do!

Look on the Law Society website.It runs slightly longer 10 months instead of six for PPC1 , but you can earn five months credit if you are working during PPC 1 in addition to 4 months credit prior to PPC1.
    It probably slows your qualification by a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LawNotes123

For those who have just done company law, where did you purchase your legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Anyone here been successful in getting a Tc or internship recently, what are people doing to get into places ? Seems so difficult right now

• Registered Users Posts: 31 arubamuuu

For those who have just done company law, where did you purchase your legislation?

I got it from Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street. I think it was around €90-99 (I did company a while back tho)

channing90 wrote: »
    Anyone here been successful in getting a Tc or internship recently, what are people doing to get into places ? Seems so difficult right now

I got an internship in a small firm, getting a lot of court room experience, hoping they offer me a TC after my fe1s are in the bag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

phildub wrote: »
    I got an internship in a small firm, getting a lot of court room experience, hoping they offer me a TC after my fe1s are in the bag!

Do you mind me asking if it was a speculative cv You sent in or if it was advertised etc, I wouldn’t mind working in a small firm but feel a bit apprehensive about calling in to places with lockdown as it might not be wanted.

Do you mind me asking if it was a speculative cv You sent in or if it was advertised etc, I wouldn’t mind working in a small firm but feel a bit apprehensive about calling in to places with lockdown as it might not be wanted.
    I think I posted twice by accident, it was advertised locally, depending on what kind of firm you are hoping to work for im sure they get walks ins all the time, so they may not mind. But a phone call might be safer

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fe1user2020

Just a heads up for anyone who is waiting for results to know whether they can begin the Hybrid PPC1 this December, I was told yesterday by someone in the trainee section of the Law Society to make my application “sooner rather than later” and in the relevant section of the application just say you are awaiting results for this sitting

Just for anyone who didn’t know we could apply before results are out (like me)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Just a heads up for anyone who is waiting for results to know whether they can begin the Hybrid PPC1 this December, I was told yesterday by someone in the trainee section of the Law Society to make my application “sooner rather than later” and in the relevant section of the application just say you are awaiting results for this sitting

Just for anyone who didn’t know we could apply before results are out (like me)

Can you apply without a Traineeship?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mayolaw

I recently got into a pre-trainee role where if i finish my exams ill start hybrid in 2021 - Its a small enough corporate firm and they advertised on indeed a while back, up until then even though I have good experience with some big firms I was rejected constantly.

I actually worked a lot on making myself stand out on my CV in terms of interests, like language learning and investing - both which I got really into during lockdown and they happened to be a big firm in that the investment area so most of my interview was about my interests.

I also used to over prepare for interviews and perhaps came across as robotic, after contant rejected i just said f**k it and was way more chilled and it paid off.

Rejection after rejection, wondering what’s the point in spending €€€€ on FE1s at this stage - so disheartening

• Registered Users Posts: 31 arubamuuu

Rejection after rejection, wondering what’s the point in spending €€€€ on FE1s at this stage - so disheartening

I'm feeling the same tbh.

This is my 3rd time applying for milkrounds and still nothing (1st time applying after actually having passed some FE1s). I was so hopeful this round because I have a year of legal work experience and a 1.1 degree but seems not. I’m still waiting to hear from a few firms so I’m trying to stay hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Amazon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Shonagoring123

rickmatt wrote: »
    Can you apply without a Traineeship?

No, the firm you work in signs your papers to go, it’s called a sponsorship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement